Photo

Best source of MSM?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Exhibit_N

Exhibit_N

Searching...

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:53 AM

So after hearing more than enough about MSM and it's affects on acne, I'm convincend and I was hoping someone could recommended an MSM supplement (particularly product name dropping) that my body will actually absorb (you know those stories about supplements going to no use just lying on top of your hip joint *cough*centrum*cough*).

Around how much MSM should it contain?

Sorry if I sound lost, it's because I am.

#2 Case N

Case N

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:19 AM

Well pretty much everyone around here will say to get the powdered form of MSM, especially because of better absorbtion. They are right because if you buy the Jarrow's brand they don't put any fillers or cut the mixture with anything else, so your getting pure MSM.

Just like b5 dosing, most recommend to take more than 3,000mg a day to get the desired effect, but I have found that I only need 1-3g's per day. I've read of many people on the boards taking anywhere from 6-10g's a day which would make me puke for sure.

From my personal experience I have taken several brands of MSM and found the best one was actually in Pill form from Source Naturals. I don't know why it worked better and had immediate noticeable effects but I really liked that brand. You can find several reputable brands over on iHerb.com and vitaminshoppe.com

#3 R.S.

R.S.

Senior Administrator

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:29 AM

Jarrow's my favorite brand. 10g a day will give you smooth baby skin but it's not necessary. I go about 3-6g a day now, I've gone much higher. It's a nice supplement.
topical:
tea tree oil soap.
qh mint julep mask.
hydrogen peroxide for occassional spot treatment.
shaving for exfoliation.
internally:
fish oil, 3g daily.

#4 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:08 AM

I just buy Walmart's Spring Valley, because it's cheap, and it works

http://www.consumerl...sults/gluco.asp

I've been taking it for a little over a week, and I've had the nice placebo effects of reduced allergies, acne, and maybe some accelerated scar healing. But I'm going to wait another couple of months before I upgrade that from placebo to real.

#5 hanzuno

hanzuno

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:36 AM

I bought Nature's Way MSM 1000 mg capsules recently to help with my keloids scars recently. Also putting MSM cream on top the scar. As for my skin, i can't really tell if it's doing anything for my acne, but i think it is making my skin texture smoother which i heard it's suppose to do.

#6 Exhibit_N

Exhibit_N

Searching...

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:47 AM

Fantastic - thanks everyone. I'll be picking up some Jarrow's brand MSM later on in the weekend.

#7 moepchen

moepchen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:47 PM

Well pretty much everyone around here will say to get the powdered form of MSM, especially because of better absorbtion.

Why is powdered MSM better absorbed?

#8 Case N

Case N

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:52 PM

Good question moepchen. I don't have all the facts on why but from what I've read it has to do with fillers in the tablet form, and something to do with prcessing methods of MSM.

#9 moepchen

moepchen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:42 PM

..and something to do with prcessing methods of MSM.

Why the processing method? Are there different methods with processing tablets/capsules and powder?

#10 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

Spring Valley MSM is in pill form, but it's just pure MSM powder in a thin gelatin cap. Your stomach acid should eat right through that. I just removed some powder and mixed it with water and aloe vera to create a topical cream.

And natural type? Don't they just do something to DMSO, which is chemically manufactured, to create MSM?

#11 moepchen

moepchen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:11 PM

Hmm.. I will try MSM Powder from Jarrow..