Photo

Forehead bumps and Differin

whitehead whiteheads

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 comehead

comehead

comedolt

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:01 PM

I have moderate, mostly comedonal acne. The doxycycline antibiotic helps nock down nodules--which is why I fear going off it--but I have dozens of clogged pores, mini-whiteheads or undert-the-surface comedones on my forehead. I've been on Differin gel for 6 months and in fairness there has been improvement but with time, will the differin smooth it all out?

I also use BP during the morning and Paula's Choice Beta Hydroxy (SA)--the Beta Hydroxy really helped clear up the clogs on my shoulders, arms and chest. And since I was off Doxycycline a week ago--I'm back on it big time now--I've got some scabs and redness I'm trying to fade with an Alpha Hydroxy moisturizer. Is the moisturizer just gonna clog the forehead pores more? Am I forced to chooce between red but less bumpy or less red but bumpy?

I've seen other discussions about bumps and clogs. Some suggest exfoliating in a steam room. But is that just for normal whiteheads that could easily be dislodged after steaming the pore? When I use the Beta Hydroxy on my forehead then sit in a steam room for awhile it certainly brings the bumps to the surface but they're not easily swabbed away. Is it enough to keep bringing them to the surface and overtime they'll work their way out or do they need to be extracted?

Thanks for any advice.

#2 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

The alpha hyroxy moisturizer should be ok. There is still a lot of debate on these boards (and apparantly even between dermatologists) on whether moisturizing is good or bad for acne prone skin. Is your skin oily or dry?

Getting the spots extracted might be an option for you. I used to get forehead bumps and would go in and get a facial and get them extracted. They may come back, but the topicals you are using (Differin and salicylic) may help prevent them from blocking again. Although, if you have been on Differin for 6 months are still getting comedonal acne, maybe you need something a little stronger?

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#3 comehead

comehead

comedolt

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

My skin is oily--too bad the acne keeps me from selling used cars. sad.gif

As a guy, I'm a little averse to getting a facial but if there's no other way to extract them all I may have to consider it.

I did ask my new dermatologist about accutane on our first meeting in January, but he seemed dismissive of the idea saying that's for cystic acne and doesn't always help comedonal acne anyway. Plus it takes months. Well, months later my skin has improved but still goes through some horrible moments--a breakout of nodules on top of the constant comedones--I'd still be willing to try it but I get the feeling my derm is content to say "that's really coming along nicely" every 6 weeks.

By something stronger do you mean short of Accutatne? Are their topicals stronger than Differin?

#4 jjacne

jjacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(comehead @ Aug 6 2006, 05:56 PM) View Post

As a guy, I'm a little averse to getting a facial but if there's no other way to extract them all I may have to consider it.

I did ask my new dermatologist about accutane on our first meeting in January, but he seemed dismissive of the idea saying that's for cystic acne and doesn't always help comedonal acne anyway. Plus it takes months. Well, months later my skin has improved but still goes through some horrible moments--a breakout of nodules on top of the constant comedones--I'd still be willing to try it but I get the feeling my derm is content to say "that's really coming along nicely" every 6 weeks.

By something stronger do you mean short of Accutatne? Are their topicals stronger than Differin?

If you think the oil is causing the acne, then accutane will sure help as it did in my case but then again I mostly had papules and pustules.
1. Neutrogena Cleansing Bar for Acne-Prone Skin
2. Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating Daily Scrub
3. Shiseido Bio-Performance Super Eye Contour Cream
4. Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment
6. Kirkland brand daily multi-vitamins & minerals
7. sleeping before 12am.

#5 sverd

sverd

anonymous

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE(comehead @ Aug 6 2006, 04:56 PM) View Post

If I were you I'd look for a new dermatologist honestly nothing should stop people from being able to use accutane. I'd rather deal with a small chance of a side effect like depression and have clear skin then having an acne face.

#6 Seanopoly

Seanopoly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:56 AM

I have those same exact bumps on my forehead too...makes the skin look horrible, and so Ive been on differin cream for 4 weeks or so now. I have yet to see a MAJOR change.
Posted Image

#7 Ariventa

Ariventa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(comehead @ Aug 6 2006, 05:56 PM) View Post

I think willow meant a stronger retinoid. From my understanding, Differin is the weakest of the prescription retinoids. Retin-a and Tazorac are stronger and may be able to get rid of those bumps. If the Differin hasn't gotten rid of those bumps after 6 months, I doubt it ever will. Mention Retin-A and/or Tazorac to your Derm and see what he/she says.

#8 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:12 PM

Yes - I did mean a stronger retinoid. the next strongest would probably be Retin a or retina micro, and Tazorac is the strongest (and most irritating).

And there is nothing wrong with guys getting a facial! I tend to think of facials now as more of a medical treatment than a beauty treatment! smile.gif

Oh, and I didn't have much luck with salicylic clearing out my forehead bumps. Glycolic + regular exfoliation did the job much better for me. That plus the facials with extractions.

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#9 jonny_boy

jonny_boy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(20 feet HOT 5 feet NOT @ Aug 7 2006, 03:56 PM) View Post

I have those same exact bumps on my forehead too...makes the skin look horrible, and so Ive been on differin cream for 4 weeks or so now. I have yet to see a MAJOR change.

I've been on differin and i've also got those small bumps. To be honest i'm greatful I don't have the inflamed red spots anymore. But could ti eb Differin causing these little forehead bumps?