low-glycemic vegetarian

2880 replies to this topic

#41 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a certificate in plant-based nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation. I am very interested in nutrition and am a big believer in a mostly plant-based diet. I look forward to increasing my knowledge further as time goes by! :)

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE(ThereIsHope @ Aug 9 2006, 12:18 PM) View Post

I started making them this morning! And man, for my first smoothie, it was GOOD!
I used 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 cup frozen blueberries, a large spoonful of organic peanut butter, one large spoonful of lowfat organic unsweetened yogurt, 1 and 1/3 cup spinach, 3 cups green tea, a handful of unsweetened coconut flakes, honey, and cinnamon. It was soooo good! Thanks so much for the idea independent thinker!

Wow!!! What great ideas you came up with for your smoothie!! Love the peanut butter idea, the yogurt, the green tea and the coconut flakes!! I'm starting a 6 Week Green Smoothie Challenge next Monday over at the Pioneer Thinking boards - feel free to join us! smile.gif http://www.pioneerth...;num=1154902025

#42 Necromancer

Necromancer

ayla: Necro is God-Like he's so pretty.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(ThereIsHope @ Aug 9 2006, 01:18 PM) View Post

I started making them this morning! And man, for my first smoothie, it was GOOD!
I used 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 cup frozen blueberries, a large spoonful of organic peanut butter, one large spoonful of lowfat organic unsweetened yogurt, 1 and 1/3 cup spinach, 3 cups green tea, a handful of unsweetened coconut flakes, honey, and cinnamon. It was soooo good! Thanks so much for the idea independent thinker!

This sounds like a gigantic acne bomb. I think this is the worst idea of for curing acne. Peanut butter alone is terrible for acne. Then you combine it will all this other sugar like honey and cinnamon??? If you have acne, this drink that you drink daily is the reason why. Stick with water.

ninja.gif

#43 No I'm Amy

No I'm Amy

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me
  • Interests:<br />I like singing, writing, the org, etc

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:53 PM

Any yogurt isn't a good idea for acne either.

#44 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a certificate in plant-based nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation. I am very interested in nutrition and am a big believer in a mostly plant-based diet. I look forward to increasing my knowledge further as time goes by! :)

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(Necromancer @ Aug 9 2006, 02:47 PM) View Post

This sounds like a gigantic acne bomb. I think this is the worst idea of for curing acne. Peanut butter alone is terrible for acne. Then you combine it will all this other sugar like honey and cinnamon??? If you have acne, this drink that you drink daily is the reason why. Stick with water.

ninja.gif

I've been doing the green smoothies for several months now. I "only" used fruit, frozen fruit, greens and water. Lately though, I've been adding some other things like cinnamon and honey - honey is full of nutrition, but yes, it should be used sparingly. I find though that as long as I drink my green smoothies everyday, I can eat whatever I want - the blemishes that plagued me before are gone - they never, ever show up as long as I stay consistent with the smoothies. So "There is Hope" keep making your smoothies however you like them!! The main thing is that you're getting your greens in. smile.gif Necromancer, I realize you're just trying to help, but trust me, water alone will not keep acne away the way leafy greens do! You can't say whether or not the green smoothies will work unless you yourself have given them a good try, so why not try them yourself? You can always leave out the additives that you think promote acne.

#45 Necromancer

Necromancer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(Independent Thinker @ Aug 9 2006, 03:54 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Necromancer @ Aug 9 2006, 02:47 PM) View Post

ninja.gif

I've been doing the green smoothies for several months now. I "only" used fruit, frozen fruit, greens and water. Lately though, I've been adding some other things like cinnamon and honey - honey is full of nutrition, but yes, it should be used sparingly. I find though that as long as I drink my green smoothies everyday, I can eat whatever I want - the blemishes that plaqued me before are gone - they never, ever show up as long as I stay consistent with the smoothies. So "There is Hope" keep making your smoothies however you like them!! The main thing is that you're getting your greens in. smile.gif Necromancer, I realize you're just trying to help, but trust me, water alone will not keep acne away the way leafy greens do! You can't save whether or not the green smoothies will work unless you yourself have given them a good try, so why not try them yourself? You can always leave out the additives that you think promote acne.

How do you make these green smoothies? Do you just add a bunch of canned vegetables in a blender and mix. I am capable of eating pretty nasty things as long as they are healthy. I should be on Fear Factor. Lay it on me!!!

eusa_sick.gif

#46 Guest_ThereIsHope_*

Guest_ThereIsHope_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:07 PM

Actually, the things you said to be an "acne bomb" are actually quite good for you in SMALL QUANTITIES and are great thickeners for the smoothie. I don't eat any other dairy other than organic low-fat yogurt, whitch it full of good bateria, the kind that can help fight acne! Peanut oil is one of the good oils as well, like coconut oil and olive oil. Again, all things in moderation. As for the coconut flakes, you should do your research, because coconut flesh and oil are naturally anti-fungal and anti-baterial. Also boosts your metabolism! Cinnamon without sugar is good for you. Narual anti-biotic and metabolism booster. And yes, honey may not be the best thing, but its a whole heck of a lot better as a all-natural sweetener than sugar or splenda or something like that!

#47 Necromancer

Necromancer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(ThereIsHope @ Aug 9 2006, 04:07 PM) View Post

Actually, the things you said to be an "acne bomb" are actually quite good for you in SMALL QUANTITIES and are great thickeners for the smoothie. I don't eat any other dairy other than organic low-fat yogurt, whitch it full of good bateria, the kind that can help fight acne! Peanut oil is one of the good oils as well, like coconut oil and olive oil. Again, all things in moderation. As for the coconut flakes, you should do your research, because coconut flesh and oil are naturally anti-fungal and anti-baterial. Also boosts your metabolism! Cinnamon without sugar is good for you. Narual anti-biotic and metabolism booster. And yes, honey may not be the best thing, but its a whole heck of a lot better as a all-natural sweetener than sugar or splenda or something like that!

What's wrong with eating oatmeal and raw canned tuna for breakfast?

shock.gif

#48 Annaa

Annaa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:28 PM

Thanks again Independent thinker! I really want to try the smoothies and I want to try carrot juice too. But I´m in my summer house and I don´t have a blender here (and a juicer I don´t own at all) . So I have to wait. But maby I could buy some "green" pills and try while I wait.

As for the food discussion I think it´s importent to remember that it seams to be different for everyone. A couple of people on this forum got clear from drinking warm mater with honey every day. And one girl got clear fron just eating youghurt with good culture. Another woman realised that fibers actually made her break out and she got clear when she ate real fat food (and I don´t mean fat like omega 3) and cut out all fibers.

You just have to figure out what´s right for you. But that doesn´t seam to be the easiesd thing! Not for me anyway....

#49 Annaa

Annaa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

Oh, Independent T! I came up with one more question:)! I just reread your first post and saw that you put flax oil in your smoothies or take it before you drink. Are yous sure that the fat isn´t what have made you clear? Did you continue taking the oil those two weeks? Because A LOT of people get clear from just taking a spoon of flax oil or some other good oil (like fish oil or primerose oil). Just to be sure! Oil didn´t work for me.

#50 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:45 PM

Interesting. I'm pretty good with smoothies for bulking, but I'm on a cut phase and this sounds interesting.

#51 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(Necromancer @ Aug 9 2006, 02:57 PM) View Post

How do you make these green smoothies? Do you just add a bunch of canned vegetables in a blender and mix. I am capable of eating pretty nasty things as long as they are healthy. I should be on Fear Factor. Lay it on me!!!

eusa_sick.gif

LOL!! biggrin.gif Well then, you should definitely try them! They actually taste good, but I'm sure you could make them taste nasty if you really wanted to. haha Directions for making them are in my first post. smile.gif Hope you like them!

QUOTE(Necromancer @ Aug 9 2006, 03:23 PM) View Post

What's wrong with eating oatmeal and raw canned tuna for breakfast?

shock.gif

Canned tuna is high in mercury and other toxins - best to stay away from it. smile.gif

QUOTE(Annaa @ Aug 9 2006, 06:28 PM) View Post

Thanks again Independent thinker! ....maby I could buy some "green" pills and try while I wait.

As for the food discussion I think it´s importent to remember that it seams to be different for everyone...
You just have to figure out what´s right for you. But that doesn´t seam to be the easiesd thing! Not for me anyway....

Sure! smile.gif Wouldn't hurt to try the green pills, but don't expect great results. You're right, different things work for different people. I still stick to my statement though of saying that green smoothies are more beneficial than just water alone. wink.gif I'm really curious to know how many others might benefit from the smoothies. My thinking is that it's the natural form of accutane, because it is so full of vitamin A (but the natural, safe kind!). Because of this, I really do believe that everyone's skin would probably benefit from this and that acne problems would go away, but regardless, there are so many health benefits to the smoothies, that they're worth doing anyway! smile.gif

Interesting points about the warm honey water and yogurt - I believe there are SO many complexities when it comes to acne. The smoothies are currently just "masking" my symptoms (in a healthy way of course), but there is obviously something internally imbalanced going on that is causing me to break out when I don't do the smoothies. Doing internal cleanses, taking acidolphilus (like in yogurt), balancing my hormones and eating a balanced, pure diet are just a few things that come to mind that I believe would help.

QUOTE(Annaa @ Aug 9 2006, 06:40 PM) View Post

Oh, Independent T! I came up with one more question:)! I just reread your first post and saw that you put flax oil in your smoothies or take it before you drink. Are yous sure that the fat isn´t what have made you clear? Did you continue taking the oil those two weeks? Because A LOT of people get clear from just taking a spoon of flax oil or some other good oil (like fish oil or primerose oil). Just to be sure! Oil didn´t work for me.

Actually, haha, I just put that tip on there because I read of the benefits. It's smart of you to pick up on that, but to be honest, I never put flax in my smoothies, and I ran out of flax and fish oil a little over a month ago, and I haven't been taking any oils since then. I wasn't consistent at all about taking them anyway. For several months, my smoothies consisted of fruit, greens, water, and nothing else. I have tested the smoothies out several different times. Each time I stop them, I will start breaking out in a few days. The smoothies are definitely the reason I have stopped breaking out... that's why I'm so passionate about sharing this information with others. smile.gif

QUOTE(Legend @ Aug 9 2006, 06:45 PM) View Post

Interesting. I'm pretty good with smoothies for bulking, but I'm on a cut phase and this sounds interesting.

Great! I hope you like the smoothies! smile.gif

#52 Guest_ThereIsHope_*

Guest_ThereIsHope_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:06 AM

I also adore your signature Bible verse independent thinker! I've always liked that verse. biggrin.gif

#53 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(ThereIsHope @ Aug 10 2006, 08:06 AM) View Post

I also adore your signature Bible verse independent thinker! I've always liked that verse. biggrin.gif

Ah, thank you! I think no matter what religion, everyone can benefit from this verse - life really is a more joyful world when we focus on the good things! smile.gif

#54 No I'm Amy

No I'm Amy

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

I made a different smoothie this time- 1 apple, a banana, 4 cups of water, and some greens. This time it tasted good but last time was icky.

#55 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(loveuforever57 @ Aug 10 2006, 12:20 PM) View Post

I made a different smoothie this time- 1 apple, a banana, 4 cups of water, and some greens. This time it tasted good but last time was icky.

I'm so glad you liked it this time!! Adding frozen fruit really helps with the flavor too - I love adding cinnamon as well. SO glad you liked your smoothie!! smile.gif I'm guessing it made around 7 cups? You can put half in the refigerator to enjoy the next day. I just pour the extra into glasses so that I can go ahead and immediately rinse out the blender.

#56 No I'm Amy

No I'm Amy

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(Independent Thinker @ Aug 10 2006, 11:30 AM) View Post

QUOTE(loveuforever57 @ Aug 10 2006, 12:20 PM) View Post

I'm so glad you liked it this time!! Adding frozen fruit really helps with the flavor too - I love adding cinnamon as well. SO glad you liked your smoothie!! smile.gif I'm guessing it made around 7 cups? You can put half in the refigerator to enjoy the next day. I just pour the extra into glasses so that I can go ahead and immediately rinse out the blender.

I made 3 of the 14 oz cups. I'm going to save the last cup for tomorrow so hopefully it's still there in the morning. My dad went to the store without me so I didn't get much fruit. Maybe I can ask for some more or somehow WALK to the store myself.

#57 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(loveuforever57 @ Aug 10 2006, 12:45 PM) View Post

Maybe I can ask for some more or somehow WALK to the store myself.

I hope you can get some more fruit soon!! smile.gif I guess you could always just blend the lettuce with some water and shug it down. hahaha Hmm... maybe with some lemon juice it wouldn't be all that bad! Probably better to wait for the fruit though... hehe

I made another "disguised" green smoothie for my brother today that was absolutely amazing!! It actually had a fairly good amount of spinach too, and you couldn't tell at all. It was one plum, frozen raspberries, frozen pineapple, frozen tropical fruit mix, spinach, honey, vanilla flavoring, water, and lots of cinnamon. Oh my gosh... it was soooooo good!!

#58 Spotted Dick

Spotted Dick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

Super cool. I just bought me a blender and im already loving it!!

I dont have any references for the following but a doctor claimed that if you "chew" you protein shake, the extra spit in your mouth will improve the digestion of the nutrients. I guess it´s the same with vegi/fruits shakes!!

If someone knows more about this, let us know.

(written while slamming a: mixed berries, apple and broccoli shake.)

#59 Annaa

Annaa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

Ooh I wouldn´t mind having you as a brother I. T.! Making all those delicious smoothies!! And now I´m a 100% beliver in that it is the smoothies that has cleared you. I actually managed to convince myself yesterday that it must have been the flax oil that cured you. I can get really pesemistic when I´ve been very optemistic about something in the beginning. But now I´m optemist again!!!

So what are you going to do in the future when you travell somewhere? Maby it would be possible to just mix a lot of greens, put them in a big bottle and mix it out with bougt juice. Or would that be crazy?! Yes it would probably be crazy...smile.gif

Sorry for my bad spelling! I´m not really english speaking.

#60 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(Spotted Dick @ Aug 10 2006, 02:43 PM) View Post

(written while slamming a: mixed berries, apple and broccoli shake.)

LOL... that's great! haha Chewing is definitely a good thing, as it helps to pre-digest your food. That's one of the reasons they say it's good to eat slowly. Glad you're liking the smoothies!

QUOTE(Annaa @ Aug 10 2006, 05:58 PM) View Post

Ooh I wouldn´t mind having you as a brother I. T.! Making all those delicious smoothies!! ...now I´m optemist again!!!

So what are you going to do in the future when you travell somewhere?

Well, I'd have to be your sister instead your brother. wink.gif haha I'm glad you're excited about them again! Yes... traveling is a big concern of mine!! If I were to go away for say, two weeks, I guess I'd find a smoothie cafe, buy some greens and ask them to add the greens to my smoothie (all the while expecting very odd looks from the employees, haha). Either that or I could stay somewhere that has a kitchenette and a blender (or maybe just bring a small, miniature blender or something... I think I've seen those). Your English is very good, by the way! I hadn't suspected even once that it wasn't your first language!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users