2880 replies to this topic

#2841 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

I started blending on Sunday and I'm already seeing a huge difference in my skin. (3 days ago)

1 tablespoon spirulina
1 tablespoon chlorella
handfull of organic spinach
handfull of organic kale
1/2 cucumber

I love making smoothies, but i've never made one with only greens. Are you enjoying the taste of this particular one? I can't handle them without a little fruit. (Not saying you should alter what's working for you)

80%-20% Alkaline forming vs Acid forming Diet

`Organic~
                                                                            I don't consume:
                                                                                     *Dairy
                                                                               *Whole grains
                                                                             *Refined sugars
                                                                                 *Table salt
                                                                              *Vegetable oils
                                                                        *Processed/Fast foods
                                           *Genetically Modified Foods (GMOs)
                                                                      As well as the pesticides/herbicides that come with them

My philosophy: Less externally, more internally

Even taking long hot showers in chemically treated tap water is too harsh for acne prone skin

(And that's without a face wash)

This site is absolutely loaded with info on curing acne internally

#2842 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a certificate in plant-based nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation. I am very interested in nutrition and am a big believer in a mostly plant-based diet. I look forward to increasing my knowledge further as time goes by! :)

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

crashoran,
Are you still making smoothies? I'm glad you were already noticing results with your skin! That's a very healthy smoothie you were making--way to go!! :)

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

~Philippians 4:8~

Green smoothies/blended greens keep me clear! Click here

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!

#2843 jokerj

jokerj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

Hey ABG Fairy!
I was wondring what you think about Di-Indoyl Methane?
I know people take it as a supplement because it is supposed to have some of the good effects of cruciferous veggies
"You're such a beautiful freak, I wish there were more just like you. You're not like all of the others, that is why I love you. Beautiful Freak, Beautiful Freak- that is why I love you."

building a personal bubble of support via my log: Jokerj's Hopeful Log

#2844 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a certificate in plant-based nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation. I am very interested in nutrition and am a big believer in a mostly plant-based diet. I look forward to increasing my knowledge further as time goes by! :)

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Hey Jokerj! How have you been?

I think DIM is worth considering, and it might help speed up your results. There have been a few threads about it here. The following was linked in Alternativista's "Good Things For Acne" post: http://www.acne.org/...en-production/. Posted Image

Edited by *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*, 11 November 2012 - 04:36 PM.

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!

#2845 jokerj

jokerj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

Great, thanks!
I've been good! Sadly, my studio apartment-sized blender has broken and, with so many classes and my meal plan at the dining hall, I haven't been drinking my green smoothies! A bit of strange skin, which I think can also be attributed to the weather.
Hope all is well with you!
"You're such a beautiful freak, I wish there were more just like you. You're not like all of the others, that is why I love you. Beautiful Freak, Beautiful Freak- that is why I love you."

building a personal bubble of support via my log: Jokerj's Hopeful Log

#2846 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Oh no! I hope you're able to replace it soon! In the meantime, eat lots of salads!! hehe :) I hope you're having a great sememster!

Edited by *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*, 17 November 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#2847 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Interesting article on blenders! All Blenders Are Not Created Equal: Which One Is Best For Your Needs?

#2848 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hi guys, I'm new here and so I haven't read all 143 pages of this thread. I would love to start incorporating smoothies into my diet but I have 2 concerns:

1. Doesn't it cost a lot to eat this healthy? I'd have to be constantly buying fresh leafy greens to make these smoothies and that adds up. Here I'll do some math. $4 worth of fresh baby kale would last about 3 days if I made 1 smoothie a day. So I'd have to spend $40 per month on kale alone. Then there are the other veggies I'd need to add, and before you know it I'd be at $100 per month on just smoothies...
2. Is there a good way to grow a garden indoors so I can make smoothies from a small indoor garden?
3. Is there any actual proof (scientific evidence) that blending the veggies like that makes it 4 times more bio-available than veggies you would eat from a salad by chewing them?

Thanks guys :)

- I have insulin resistance and high DHEA-S as indicated on my fasting insulin test and DHEA-S test.

- Acne clears up almost completely when low carbing.

- Quit Retin-A 0.05% and experienced no changes.

#2849 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

Seeking2012,

1) A small carton of greens should last you about 1 week, which isn't bad. If cost is a factor, you might try a smaller amount of greens. Most people start out with a small handful of greens in the beginning when they're getting used to the taste. Also, your smoothies can be simple. Apples are super cheap--how about an apple and a small handful of greens? Or greens and a banana? Check your grocery store and just buy the produce items that are lower priced--they fluctuate throughout the season, so keep an eye on that.

2) Excellent idea and worth looking into. I have a friend who never has to buy greens! Her garden is outside, but if you have a window with some good sunlight, I'm sure this is possible. Greens you grow yourself are better for you than store bought anyway.

3) The reason you get about 4 times the nutrients is because the blender is more thoroughly able to break up the plant's cell walls--much more thoroughly than just chewing alone, so this releases more nutrition within the cell walls. Dr. Joel Fuhrman agrees with this, and he relies on peer-reviewed studies more than any doctor I know of, so this is probably pretty accurate, and it makes sense if you think about it.

Good luck! :)

#2850 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Arent these smoothies "unnatural"? I mean i don't know if the body can handle such a large shock of veggies/fruits all at once?

#2851 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

^ That is a good question, but juicing gives an even higher concentration of veggies/fruits, and it's very healing for many people. Our soils are so deplete in nutrients these days that I think it's good to get all we can get! :)

#2852 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

I want to share a recipe that I don't think I've shared yet!  It's low-glycemin, which we all know is best for acne sufferers!!  It might sound odd, but I promise, it's really good.  :)

1 big handful of spinach

1/4 large avocado

1/4 cup frozen berries

2-3 spoonfulls cocoa powder

1 squirt of honey

1 1/2 cups water

Enjoy!!  :)

#2853 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

Cannot underestimate these babies.  The more finely you blend them, the more cell walls get broken down giving you access to more of the nutrients locked away in the greens.  Mine end up being like a green paste

80%-20% Alkaline forming vs Acid forming Diet

`Organic~
                                                                            I don't consume:
                                                                                     *Dairy
                                                                               *Whole grains
                                                                             *Refined sugars
                                                                                 *Table salt
                                                                              *Vegetable oils
                                                                        *Processed/Fast foods
                                           *Genetically Modified Foods (GMOs)
                                                                      As well as the pesticides/herbicides that come with them

My philosophy: Less externally, more internally

Even taking long hot showers in chemically treated tap water is too harsh for acne prone skin

(And that's without a face wash)

This site is absolutely loaded with info on curing acne internally

#2854 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

I've just  managed to make these a daily habit. Because I get so many greens from the CSA/Coop where I volunteer in exchange for free organic produce.  They buy a lot of beets this time of year and the beets can be stored for the next week (it's a one day a week deal) but the greens can't. So I cut them off and take whatever I want home.   I pick all the baby leaves out.  Beets are related to Chard. And they are delicious. 

I usually do beet greens, a little bit of banana and hibiscus tea, the best kept secret in the beverage world, for the liquid.  And I have an old school vintage beehive bar blender. The old school blender bottoms can be screwed onto canning jars, so I make my smoothie in a pint jar and then drink out of it while I rinse off the base.  It's been trendy lately to drink from canning jars. People pay up to $10 per jar with a lid for a hole drilled in it for a straw.  

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#2855 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Onefatalgoose,

Green paste!!  Too funny!!  smile.png  I have been making some lately that are rather on the thick side as well.  I am really loving the avocado/chocolate smoothies, and today I added in plant-based protein powder, and alfalfa and barley powder--so good!!!

Alternativista,

So cool about the beat greens, and I love that you drink out of canning jar.  I use those for storage--they are so cute!  It's hard to find the screw on plastic lids for them, but I got some on Amazon.  I remember hibiscus tea when I studied in Mexico years ago (they call it Jamaica tea).  It was very, very popular in Mexico---people would sell it walking down the streets!  I think it sort of has a fruit-punch smell and taste--delicious!  I believe it's helpful for the kidneys, and based on your statement, I'm guessing it has many other health benefits too!  It's been a while since I've had any, and I had never thought to put it in a smoothie--thank you for sharing your ideas!!  I'll think I'll have to buy some hibiscus tea soon.  smile.png

Edit: Okay, especially with Alternativista's recommendation, I had to check out hibiscus tea!  Dr. Mercola has great things to say, and he even sells an extract!  I'm guessing it's cheaper to just steep the tea yourself though.  Do you have a source you like Alternativista? 

Edited by *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*, 12 March 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#2856 morganhkenneth

morganhkenneth

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

I want to share a recipe that I don't think I've shared yet!  It's low-glycemin, which we all know is best for acne sufferers!!  It might sound odd, but I promise, it's really good.  smile.png

1 big handful of spinach

1/4 large avocado

1/4 cup frozen berries

2-3 spoonfulls cocoa powder

1 squirt of honey

1 1/2 cups water

Enjoy!!  smile.png

Thank you for sharing. I'll try this as soon as possible.

#2857 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Morganhkenneth,

You are so welcome, and I hope you love it!!!  :)  There are quite a few avocado/chocolate dessert recipes online as well...apparently it's the new hot thing!  Haha!!

#2858 mudfootball

mudfootball

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hi ABG Fairy, I just wanted to say that I've started doing this the last four days. My smoothies have so far consisted of 2 handfuls of spinach, a small-medium sized pear and some frozen berries and 1 cup of water. Tastes fine to me and I like mine a bit glug-y so not too smooth :)

But I wanted to ask you waht you though about how my skin has been lately. Since doing this it's been really bad :( I know it's been only four days but my face has been really red and inflamed - I started noticing this the day after my first smoothie - could it just be coincidence? Today it's felt really itchy as well but that might be because of the Benzac wash I started using every other day... I also noticed a lot of whiteheads and some of my cysts have been coming to the surface which I think is somewhat of a good thing - it's better than them being bure din my skin I guess! Though it doesn't look pretty :| I really like the idea of this regimen I really hope it helps me. What I also noticed though was that the last few days I've felt REALLY extremely tired. I basically spent the whole day in bed sleeping today. It's strange because I think these smoothies are supposed to have the opposite effect?

Thanks, I've read a lot of this thread it you seem like such a great person posting all the information and replying to everyone! And I fully intend to at least give this a months try.

#2859 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

Mudfootball,

I'm so sorry for this late reply!  Is your skin doing better?  Your reaction is one I have noticed in others over the years as well, and I believe it's due to a detoxification effect.  It's not uncommon for a person's skin to get worse before it gets better.  You might try drinking only half the amount and then working your way back up again so the detox effect is lessened.  Are you feeling better?  Detox will definitely make you tired.  Hopefully the smoothies will make you feel more energetic soon!

I really hope this works out for you, and gradually, you can start changing other aspects of your diet as well.  Acne might end up making your really healthy. :)  Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

#2860 mudfootball

mudfootball

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

Thank you for the reply - wasn't late at all! And I had no idea detoxing makes you tired - wow!

Anyway, thanks I do feel better now and I have to report that my skin seemed to be improving after about 5 or so days - It was a lot less red, I'm not sure about my acne but the skin around all my spots looked a lot nicer and smoother which I think is something other ppl said they experienced in this thread.

However I haven't been eating very well or having the smoothies the last 3 or four days :S So now my skin has gone back to doing badly, though I know it's all because of my binge eating. I used to have a pretty good handle on my dairy eating but lately it's been out of wack. I'm getting back on track since yesterday though.

It's also been hard to exercise lately because it's winter here in Australia and the only time I can stand exercising is outside otherwise I get bored pretty easily lol I'll have to try harder also I'm kind of an anxious person so maybe I need to try to relax/meditate more.

And I found kale in my local supermarket! Yay! it was hidden at the back somewhere. I wasn't expecting to find any since I read it's hard to find so that's great biggrin.png It doesn't taste so bad either.

Sorry - I tend to ramble a lot tongue.png Thanks for the reply, if/when I see any changes I'll report back smile.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users