low-glycemic vegetarian

2880 replies to this topic

#2821 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a certificate in plant-based nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation. I am very interested in nutrition and am a big believer in a mostly plant-based diet. I look forward to increasing my knowledge further as time goes by! :)

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Prettywords,
Yay!!! Glad you're going to give them a try!!! I hope they work out for you! :)

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

~Philippians 4:8~

Green smoothies/blended greens keep me clear! Click here

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!

#2822 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope so too. Either way, it's a great way to get servings of fruits and veggies. Do you know how many servings are in a glass of smoothie?
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#2823 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a certificate in plant-based nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation. I am very interested in nutrition and am a big believer in a mostly plant-based diet. I look forward to increasing my knowledge further as time goes by! :)

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

You are welcome Prettywords!! And you are so right--it's a great way to get in nutrient-rich foods! As for servings, I think it would depend upon what types and ratios of fruits and greens you're using. This link should help clear it up: http://nutrition.abo...ervingfruit.htm :)

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!

#2824 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Thanks. The link was helpful, but it proved what I suspected: my smoothie only has one or two servings of greens, so I need to drink more of them per day. Two would be good unless I just up the greens in each batch.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#2825 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

Prettywords,
I think you'll find that with time you can do more and more greens and will not mind the taste. Remember too that you're getting about 4 times the amount of nutrition since it's all blended! Yay! :)

#2826 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

Why do we get more because it's blended? How do they know that?

#2827 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

Prettywords,
Great question! It's because the cell walls are so thoroughly broken down when blended (much more so than with chewing alone), and therefore, more nutrition is released. It's estimated at about 4 times as much nutrition. Yay! Posted Image

Edit: Here is more info!!

Blended Salads or Green Smoothies
Eating raw greens and fruits blended together to make a smooth, creamy treat is quick and convenient. The greatest benefit of blending is the increased absorption of important nutrients. All plants cells are surrounded by a cell wall that must be broken open to release the nutrients inside. As a result, most of the valuable nutrients contained within these cells never enter our bloodstream. Blending raw, leafy greens guarantees a higher percentage of nutrients absorbed into your bloodstream. By just chewing your food you absorb about 15 - 25% of the nutrients, but blending makes your body able to absorb up to 95%!

To learn more about the amazing benefits of blending, read Dr. Fuhrman’s Healthy Times Newsletter Issue No. 8.

Source: http://www.drfuhrman...Newsletter.html

Edited by *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*, 17 May 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#2828 Tony1990

Tony1990

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:32 AM

I'm having trouble finding Kale and Collards (I'm from Australia) by any chance does anyone know where I can find them? I've looked for it in every supermarket and asian groceries too.

#2829 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

Prettywords,
Great question! It's because the cell walls are so thoroughly broken down when blended (much more so than with chewing alone), and therefore, more nutrition is released. It's estimated at about 4 times as much nutrition. Yay! Posted Image

Edit: Here is more info!!

Blended Salads or Green Smoothies
Eating raw greens and fruits blended together to make a smooth, creamy treat is quick and convenient. The greatest benefit of blending is the increased absorption of important nutrients. All plants cells are surrounded by a cell wall that must be broken open to release the nutrients inside. As a result, most of the valuable nutrients contained within these cells never enter our bloodstream. Blending raw, leafy greens guarantees a higher percentage of nutrients absorbed into your bloodstream. By just chewing your food you absorb about 15 - 25% of the nutrients, but blending makes your body able to absorb up to 95%!

To learn more about the amazing benefits of blending, read Dr. Fuhrman’s Healthy Times Newsletter Issue No. 8.

Source: http://www.drfuhrman...Newsletter.html

thanks!

#2830 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Anyone from Australia that could help out Tony? Tony, have you tried the frozen section? If all else fails, you might consider growing them! They're actually even more nutritious that way! :)

Prettywords,
You are welcome! :)

#2831 nala_p22

nala_p22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

I have been drinking green smoothies for about 4 months now with positive results. My acne hasnt completely cleared but it has been very minimal, usually i have one small breakout a day which is usually a whitehead which i can easily remove with a q-tip.
But since last week I have had a terrible breakout that is taking very long to go away. I am not sure if the green smoothies arent working anymore or if I am just going through a bad phase. I did try adding cilantro to my smoothies, thats the only new ingredient I tried. But i have stopped using it and the breakouts are still persisting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2832 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

nala,

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear of this! It must be frustrating--especially since you had gotten so much better. I am hoping others will chime in with their guesses as well, but mine is that it may very well be the cilantro. Cilantro is an excellent heavy metal detoxer, and it may be that it was causing you to detox too quickly. I'm glad you stopped, but you could always very gradually add it back in once your skin goes back to normal. For now, I would be sure to drink lots of water, and I would continue the smoothies with greens such as kale, collards, and spinach.

Also, can you think of anything else you've added to your diet that could be doing this? Any citrus foods? Nuts? Dairy? Any new skin care products? I'm sure you would have mentioned these if so.

I hope it clears up for you soon, and I'm sure it will. I once (before green smoothies) had a terrible reaction to Arbonne in which I broke out very badly. I discontinued the products, and my skin went back to normal (mild acne), but it was a very odd reaction. I'm sure yours is similar and that your skin will return to normal soon.

One other thing that might be helpful.... I came across a couple products once that were mentioned to help keep toxins from coming out of your skin when detoxing. They were both by Dr. Foster's Essentials. One was "Echinacea Premium," and the other was "Blood Detox." From looking at them, my guess is that echinacea, olive leaf extract, and possibly yarrow, red clover and yellow dock can all help. You might just try an Echinacea tea. I like Traditional Medicinals. Definitely continue your greens! :)

Can anyone else add anything?

#2833 nala_p22

nala_p22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for replying. I guess this week I have had a bit more carbohydrates than usual, more potatoes and parboiled rice. But I have eaten this way in the past with no extreme breakouts on my face. The only other thing I can think of is, is a gluten free rice bread which had flax seeds in it. I've read flax can cause breakouts but once again there weren't a lot in the loaf.

I'm hoping it was just a reaction to something I consumed and that the "power" of the green smoothies aren't disappearing. I've been so happy with the results, especially since I am vegan and its a great way to get my greens.

I've still been drinking my smoothies, like you mentioned I would drink lots of water and I'll get the tea. Hopefully whatever is in my system can be removed without any more ill effects.

#2834 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

I hope so too Nala!! Any improvement in the last couple of days?

#2835 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

Usually, when making these I don't mind specific amounts really, I just throw in couple of fruits and vegetables and with water done, or sometimes with yogurt.. yum. I don't have problem with greek yogurt, but just eat them occasionally for the good bacterias.

#2836 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

DaftFrost,
That's great! A little yogurt here and there might be okay for some, and I agree about the importance of the good bacteria! Glad you're enjoying smoothies! :)

#2837 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

ABG, i love this thread -thanks for posting! I have been drinking green smothies/green juices since November and while it has never noticeable seemed to help my ance, it has helped my digestion and BM. Don't know what my route cause is yet but still searching.......and as sad as i am over my acne, i feel that green smoothies are a vital part of my health.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#2838 FSAS

FSAS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

hey guys, another from australia.
i too have spent over a year looking for greens such as kale/collared etc, been everywhere and cant find them still, I guess aus just dont grow them, I havent even been able to find seeds/plants to grow them.
what might be some other veggies one can use instead that might relate to kale etc? :)

#2839 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

sasch12,
You are so welcome!! I'm happy the green smoothies are at least helping you in some ways! Sometimes it can take weeks, or even months before more changes are seen, so definitely hang in there. Have you looked at the diet tips section on the first post? There are additional things you might try.

FSAS,
I would suggest going to your nearby grocery stores and health food stores and see what types of leafy greens you see. You can then do some research on these to see which you think are best, but it's a great idea to do a variety anyway. Have you looked in the frozen section perhaps? If you can't find leafy greens anywhere, you can use broccoli. Do you at least have cabbage? You might also consider a powdered greens supplement--I think these are a great addition to green smoothies!

#2840 crashoran

crashoran

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

I started blending on Sunday and I'm already seeing a huge difference in my skin. (3 days ago)

1 tablespoon spirulina
1 tablespoon chlorella
handfull of organic spinach
handfull of organic kale
1/2 cucumber

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users