Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how long does it (bactrim) take?

25 posts in this topic

hey was wondering if anyone knows why it takes so long for acne medication to work? i have been on bactrim for over a month now and i cant see any difference and its really started to depress me i though this stuff would clear me up?has anyone used bactrim and can tell me from experience how long it took to sort out their skin?

im almost ready to give up....

thanks xxoo

I know that meds take 3-4 months to start working

Girls

are like apples

on trees. The best ones

are at the top of the tree.

The boys don't want to reach

for the good ones because they

are afraid of falling and getting hurt.

Instead, they just get the rotten apples

from the ground that aren't as good,

but easy. So the apples at the top think

something is wrong with them, when in

reality, they're amazing. They just

have to wait for the right boy to

come along, the one who's

brave enough to

climb all

the way

to the top

of the tree.

Wow.. I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. I guess a good thing because there is still hope, but is that an accurate time frame?

Wow.. I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. I guess a good thing because there is still hope, but is that an accurate time frame?

That sounds more reasonable. I would say a month and a week or two MAX... She was probably thinking of Accutane. I wish I knew the perfect time frame.. I don't want to quit "too early" but then again I don't want to waste anymore of my life on this acne. I will be pursuing accutane if this doesn't seal the deal by a few more weeks.

From what I have read (quite a lot), most people say between 2-6 weeks.

Stopped Accutane due to sudden onset of intense flushing.

I had completely stopped breaking out within 2 weeks, possibly even 10 days. Everyone is different but, unless you have an allergy and I think it would be displaying itself more drastically then your skin not improving (like it would be getting lots worse and you may have hives etc), I would say hang in there and you will see results eally soon.

Bactrim worked pretty quickly...I'd say about two weeks. It's the shit!

26 year old female dealing with hormonal and comedonal acne. Jumping on the accutane wagon AGAIN soon.

hey was wondering if anyone knows why it takes so long for acne medication to work? i have been on bactrim for over a month now and i cant see any difference and its really started to depress me i though this stuff would clear me up?has anyone used bactrim and can tell me from experience how long it took to sort out their skin?

im almost ready to give up....

thanks xxoo

okay well its over a year down the track now, and my skins pretty much spotless thank the lord! but please, stick with the medication, i didnt see results for about 4 monthes, but from then it was GREAT..

stick with it. it is worth it. i remember crying so much and spending so much time applying makeup wheni hjad acne. it is absolutly horrible and i cant stand wen people take their clear skin for granted.

all the best..

xoxo

cool xoxkatzxox, i didnt realize this post is over a yr. old! but i just started on bactrim on 8/29 so thanks for the hopeful news, i really appreciate it and congrats on your new clear skin :dance:

Hi I'm completely clear!

I've been using this regimen for 1 month and 17days

Morning:

Wash face usually with just cool water or Clinque foaming wash for Oily

Wait about 15mins.

Clindamycin on spots only

Aloe Vera Gel on dry spots

Nighty-Nite:

Wash make-up off with Clinque Wash away gel

Wash face again with Clinque Foaming Wash for Oily Skin

Wait 30 mins.

Apply Pea-sized amount of Retina- Micro .04%, I just got bumped up to .1% last week

1 pill of Septra 2x a day.

And that's it, the doctor told me not to do anything else, I exfoliate gently once a week although I think i'm not suppose to with Clinque Exfoliating Wash

My skin is so smooth and clear, I do still have acne marks and some bumps that aren't active there just there from past acne, but over time retin-a will help along with microdermabrasion.

Thanks to this Dan for making this formum and everyone who helped me out and responded to me when I really felt like there was no end to my struggle with acne.

Here's my log on progress:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...blogid=190&

Ok ok ok....First off people, we all need to know this fact; BACTRIM IS THE GOD of Antibiotics, Without any reasonable doubt.

With that in mind, know that Bactrim is basically the best Antibiotic you can take, and with that being present, most people WILL see VERY GOOD results in 3 weeks. Bactrim is a no down time, killer. As soon as it hits your body, it's only job is to rape bacteria. So now that we know this, it's going to immediately stop the formation of new acne, while it may take a few weeks for the present acne to come to the surface all the way and heal, you will notice your acne will STOP forming significantly in the first 2-3 weeks. After that, if you use BP and other products, you won't have problems. Bactrim is 2nd par to Accutane. Safer, and more effective for non-cystic acne....even for Cystic acne, it works VERY WELL...just not as fast, as Cysts are a absolute BITCH to get rid of. They take a very long time from life to death to go away.

hey adam, what regimen are you using post-bactrim to keep clear?

Hi I'm completely clear!

I've been using this regimen for 1 month and 17days

Morning:

Wash face usually with just cool water or Clinque foaming wash for Oily

Wait about 15mins.

Clindamycin on spots only

Aloe Vera Gel on dry spots

Nighty-Nite:

Wash make-up off with Clinque Wash away gel

Wash face again with Clinque Foaming Wash for Oily Skin

Wait 30 mins.

Apply Pea-sized amount of Retina- Micro .04%, I just got bumped up to .1% last week

1 pill of Septra 2x a day.

And that's it, the doctor told me not to do anything else, I exfoliate gently once a week although I think i'm not suppose to with Clinque Exfoliating Wash

My skin is so smooth and clear, I do still have acne marks and some bumps that aren't active there just there from past acne, but over time retin-a will help along with microdermabrasion.

Thanks to this Dan for making this formum and everyone who helped me out and responded to me when I really felt like there was no end to my struggle with acne.

Here's my log on progress:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...blogid=190&

most people WILL see VERY GOOD results in 3 weeks. Bactrim is a no down time, killer. As soon as it hits your body, it's only job is to rape bacteria. So now that we know this, it's going to immediately stop the formation of new acne, while it may take a few weeks for the present acne to come to the surface all the way and heal, you will notice your acne will STOP forming significantly in the first 2-3 weeks. After that, if you use BP and other products, you won't have problems. Bactrim is 2nd par to Accutane. Safer, and more effective for non-cystic acne....even for Cystic acne, it works VERY WELL...just not as fast, as Cysts are a absolute BITCH to get rid of. They take a very long time from life to death to go away.

Cleanser: Purpose, twice a day. Love it!

Rx:

Loestrin Fe 24 (birth control)

Differin .3% gel

Moisturizer: Purpose Moisturizer w/ SPF 15 (morning), La Roche-Posay Toleriane facial fluid (night)

most people WILL see VERY GOOD results in 3 weeks. Bactrim is a no down time, killer. As soon as it hits your body, it's only job is to rape bacteria. So now that we know this, it's going to immediately stop the formation of new acne, while it may take a few weeks for the present acne to come to the surface all the way and heal, you will notice your acne will STOP forming significantly in the first 2-3 weeks. After that, if you use BP and other products, you won't have problems. Bactrim is 2nd par to Accutane. Safer, and more effective for non-cystic acne....even for Cystic acne, it works VERY WELL...just not as fast, as Cysts are a absolute BITCH to get rid of. They take a very long time from life to death to go away.

I'm sorry but this is not true. I'm on Septra, same thing as Bactrim just a different brand name. My derm says VERY FEW people will see any results on ANY antibiotic or acne treatment before 6 weeks. And for those lucky ones that do, the earliest is 4 weeks. No sooner than that. She says it takes 8 weeks to see the full effect of the antibiotic. Also, it does not immediately stop the formation of acne, this is just not true. Most antibiotics used to treat acne (sulfa drugs, tetracyclines) do not kill all of the bacteria, they only reduce their population. Drugs like penicillin kill all bacteria, for example. This is very different than what antibiotics used for acne do. You will most likely still break out while on antibiotics, but it should become less severe and less frequent. You cannot stop the antibiotic after a few weeks, you have to be weaned off of it.

They reduce their population by Doing what? That's right, killing bacteria. And i'm sorry, but your dermatologist is TOLD to tell you that 6-8 week bullshit. Because in the event that you don't see results that quick, you can't get mad at them. I took Bactrim for other reasons than Acne and my face was clear in 3 days....i could almost solely survive on Bactrim.

And actually Bactrim is Septra and vice versa...most people do call it Bactrim Septra so it covers the same damn thing.

Rx:

Differin .3% gel

Moisturizer: Purpose Moisturizer w/ SPF 15 (morning), La Roche-Posay Toleriane facial fluid (night)

They reduce their population by Doing what? That's right, killing bacteria. And i'm sorry, but your dermatologist is TOLD to tell you that 6-8 week bullshit. Because in the event that you don't see results that quick, you can't get mad at them. I took Bactrim for other reasons than Acne and my face was clear in 3 days....i could almost solely survive on Bactrim.

And actually Bactrim is Septra and vice versa...most people do call it Bactrim Septra so it covers the same damn thing.

There is no need to get nasty. Do your research before spatting out. Bactrim is a BACTERIOSTATIC drug, meaning it hampers the growth of bacteria by interfering with bacterial protein production, DNA replication, and cellular metabolism. Bacteriostatic drugs do not kill bacteria. They inhibit growth and reproduction without killing them. A BACTERICIDAL drug kills bacteria. This is a different type of antibiotic. Penicillin, for example.

As for the "6-8 week bullshit", well again, do your research. It sometimes takes 6-8 weeks for a clogged pore to form and become a visible pimple. This is why you will often not see results sooner than that, because acne was already forming before you started treatment. And no, I have never heard the term Bactrim Septra, in my research or on these boards. You can use them interchangeably, but using them together makes no sense as they are two completely different brand names for the same drug.

You are extremely immature. There is no need to call me a dumbass, just because I choose to speak from research rather than just spatting things out. I could call you much worse but I choose not to. Don't expect anyone on these sites to take you seriously.

Rx:

Differin .3% gel

Name calling is not acceptable. Two posts got invised.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

There is no need to get nasty. Do your research before spatting out. Bactrim is a BACTERIOSTATIC drug, meaning it hampers the growth of bacteria by interfering with bacterial protein production, DNA replication, and cellular metabolism. Bacteriostatic drugs do not kill bacteria. They inhibit growth and reproduction without killing them. A BACTERICIDAL drug kills bacteria. This is a different type of antibiotic. Penicillin, for example.

As for the "6-8 week bullshit", well again, do your research. It sometimes takes 6-8 weeks for a clogged pore to form and become a visible pimple. This is why you will often not see results sooner than that, because acne was already forming before you started treatment. And no, I have never heard the term Bactrim Septra, in my research or on these boards. You can use them interchangeably, but using them together makes no sense as they are two completely different brand names for the same drug.

ive been on bactrim DS twice a day for just over 1 month and my skin is nearly perfect.. although i have been on 10 grams of B5 for about 2 months also..and differin for 1.5 months.. and fish oil for about 1 month.. and yeah well pretty much everything i could think of so im not sure whats working and whats not. (if u think u have anything you could add to my regimen i would like to hear your ideas thanks..its in my sig).

but i would say stick with the bactrim for at least 2 months before you get the tane

well i wont be on here anymore, so bye all, goodluck.