Photo

how long does it (bactrim) take?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 XoxkATzxoX

XoxkATzxoX

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:32 AM

hey was wondering if anyone knows why it takes so long for acne medication to work? i have been on bactrim for over a month now and i cant see any difference and its really started to depress me i though this stuff would clear me up?has anyone used bactrim and can tell me from experience how long it took to sort out their skin?
im almost ready to give up....
thanks xxoo

#2 Da Real BucK

Da Real BucK

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:23 AM

good question... can anyone answer this?

#3 Da Real BucK

Da Real BucK

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

bump.. anyone know how long it should take to wait and see if it will actually work or not?

#4 Da Real BucK

Da Real BucK

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

anyone?

#5 CherryBunny3

CherryBunny3

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:15 PM

I know that meds take 3-4 months to start working

#6 Da Real BucK

Da Real BucK

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:08 AM

Wow.. I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. I guess a good thing because there is still hope, but is that an accurate time frame?

#7 lisadzvon

lisadzvon

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:13 AM

QUOTE(Dolfan @ Apr 11 2007, 12:08 AM) View Post
Wow.. I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. I guess a good thing because there is still hope, but is that an accurate time frame?

I don't think this is an accurate time frame for this medication. My son was just prescribed this on Monday by his dermatologist and she wants him to return in 6 weeks. She said that we should see an improvement by then.

#8 Da Real BucK

Da Real BucK

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:19 AM

That sounds more reasonable. I would say a month and a week or two MAX... She was probably thinking of Accutane. I wish I knew the perfect time frame.. I don't want to quit "too early" but then again I don't want to waste anymore of my life on this acne. I will be pursuing accutane if this doesn't seal the deal by a few more weeks.

#9 soul78

soul78

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

From what I have read (quite a lot), most people say between 2-6 weeks.

#10 lucky girl

lucky girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

I had completely stopped breaking out within 2 weeks, possibly even 10 days. Everyone is different but, unless you have an allergy and I think it would be displaying itself more drastically then your skin not improving (like it would be getting lots worse and you may have hives etc), I would say hang in there and you will see results eally soon.

#11 mskitty

mskitty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:44 AM

Bactrim worked pretty quickly...I'd say about two weeks. It's the shit!

#12 AndOceans109

AndOceans109

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

definately only a wk at most if it is to work for you.. works for me 2-3 days after taking it...when i used to..i recommend not to take it at all..look at my post. i would think it through before taking that. or do whatever you want.

http://www.acne.org/...ne-t140092.html

#13 B707

B707

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE(XoxkATzxoX @ Aug 4 2006, 07:32 AM) View Post
hey was wondering if anyone knows why it takes so long for acne medication to work? i have been on bactrim for over a month now and i cant see any difference and its really started to depress me i though this stuff would clear me up?has anyone used bactrim and can tell me from experience how long it took to sort out their skin?
im almost ready to give up....
thanks xxoo

Bactrim should start kicking in in a few weeks. What is the dose you're taking? You should be on Bactrim DS twice a day for two weeks-then one a day for a few weeks the one very other day until.....

#14 XoxkATzxoX

XoxkATzxoX

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:19 AM

okay well its over a year down the track now, and my skins pretty much spotless thank the lord! but please, stick with the medication, i didnt see results for about 4 monthes, but from then it was GREAT..
stick with it. it is worth it. i remember crying so much and spending so much time applying makeup wheni hjad acne. it is absolutly horrible and i cant stand wen people take their clear skin for granted.

all the best..

xoxo

#15 WuLi

WuLi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:11 PM

cool xoxkatzxox, i didnt realize this post is over a yr. old! but i just started on bactrim on 8/29 so thanks for the hopeful news, i really appreciate it and congrats on your new clear skin eusa_dance.gif

#16 Adam122234

Adam122234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:42 AM

Ok ok ok....First off people, we all need to know this fact; BACTRIM IS THE GOD of Antibiotics, Without any reasonable doubt.

With that in mind, know that Bactrim is basically the best Antibiotic you can take, and with that being present, most people WILL see VERY GOOD results in 3 weeks. Bactrim is a no down time, killer. As soon as it hits your body, it's only job is to rape bacteria. So now that we know this, it's going to immediately stop the formation of new acne, while it may take a few weeks for the present acne to come to the surface all the way and heal, you will notice your acne will STOP forming significantly in the first 2-3 weeks. After that, if you use BP and other products, you won't have problems. Bactrim is 2nd par to Accutane. Safer, and more effective for non-cystic acne....even for Cystic acne, it works VERY WELL...just not as fast, as Cysts are a absolute BITCH to get rid of. They take a very long time from life to death to go away.

#17 WuLi

WuLi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:48 PM

hey adam, what regimen are you using post-bactrim to keep clear?

#18 sweetheart519

sweetheart519

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:12 PM

most people WILL see VERY GOOD results in 3 weeks. Bactrim is a no down time, killer. As soon as it hits your body, it's only job is to rape bacteria. So now that we know this, it's going to immediately stop the formation of new acne, while it may take a few weeks for the present acne to come to the surface all the way and heal, you will notice your acne will STOP forming significantly in the first 2-3 weeks. After that, if you use BP and other products, you won't have problems. Bactrim is 2nd par to Accutane. Safer, and more effective for non-cystic acne....even for Cystic acne, it works VERY WELL...just not as fast, as Cysts are a absolute BITCH to get rid of. They take a very long time from life to death to go away.

I'm sorry but this is not true. I'm on Septra, same thing as Bactrim just a different brand name. My derm says VERY FEW people will see any results on ANY antibiotic or acne treatment before 6 weeks. And for those lucky ones that do, the earliest is 4 weeks. No sooner than that. She says it takes 8 weeks to see the full effect of the antibiotic. Also, it does not immediately stop the formation of acne, this is just not true. Most antibiotics used to treat acne (sulfa drugs, tetracyclines) do not kill all of the bacteria, they only reduce their population. Drugs like penicillin kill all bacteria, for example. This is very different than what antibiotics used for acne do. You will most likely still break out while on antibiotics, but it should become less severe and less frequent. You cannot stop the antibiotic after a few weeks, you have to be weaned off of it.

#19 Adam122234

Adam122234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE(sweetheart519 @ Sep 2 2007, 05:12 PM) View Post
most people WILL see VERY GOOD results in 3 weeks. Bactrim is a no down time, killer. As soon as it hits your body, it's only job is to rape bacteria. So now that we know this, it's going to immediately stop the formation of new acne, while it may take a few weeks for the present acne to come to the surface all the way and heal, you will notice your acne will STOP forming significantly in the first 2-3 weeks. After that, if you use BP and other products, you won't have problems. Bactrim is 2nd par to Accutane. Safer, and more effective for non-cystic acne....even for Cystic acne, it works VERY WELL...just not as fast, as Cysts are a absolute BITCH to get rid of. They take a very long time from life to death to go away.

I'm sorry but this is not true. I'm on Septra, same thing as Bactrim just a different brand name. My derm says VERY FEW people will see any results on ANY antibiotic or acne treatment before 6 weeks. And for those lucky ones that do, the earliest is 4 weeks. No sooner than that. She says it takes 8 weeks to see the full effect of the antibiotic. Also, it does not immediately stop the formation of acne, this is just not true. Most antibiotics used to treat acne (sulfa drugs, tetracyclines) do not kill all of the bacteria, they only reduce their population. Drugs like penicillin kill all bacteria, for example. This is very different than what antibiotics used for acne do. You will most likely still break out while on antibiotics, but it should become less severe and less frequent. You cannot stop the antibiotic after a few weeks, you have to be weaned off of it.

They reduce their population by Doing what? That's right, killing bacteria. And i'm sorry, but your dermatologist is TOLD to tell you that 6-8 week bullshit. Because in the event that you don't see results that quick, you can't get mad at them. I took Bactrim for other reasons than Acne and my face was clear in 3 days....i could almost solely survive on Bactrim.

And actually Bactrim is Septra and vice versa...most people do call it Bactrim Septra so it covers the same damn thing.

#20 sweetheart519

sweetheart519

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(Adam122234 @ Sep 2 2007, 08:22 PM) View Post
They reduce their population by Doing what? That's right, killing bacteria. And i'm sorry, but your dermatologist is TOLD to tell you that 6-8 week bullshit. Because in the event that you don't see results that quick, you can't get mad at them. I took Bactrim for other reasons than Acne and my face was clear in 3 days....i could almost solely survive on Bactrim.

And actually Bactrim is Septra and vice versa...most people do call it Bactrim Septra so it covers the same damn thing.

There is no need to get nasty. Do your research before spatting out. Bactrim is a BACTERIOSTATIC drug, meaning it hampers the growth of bacteria by interfering with bacterial protein production, DNA replication, and cellular metabolism. Bacteriostatic drugs do not kill bacteria. They inhibit growth and reproduction without killing them. A BACTERICIDAL drug kills bacteria. This is a different type of antibiotic. Penicillin, for example.

As for the "6-8 week bullshit", well again, do your research. It sometimes takes 6-8 weeks for a clogged pore to form and become a visible pimple. This is why you will often not see results sooner than that, because acne was already forming before you started treatment. And no, I have never heard the term Bactrim Septra, in my research or on these boards. You can use them interchangeably, but using them together makes no sense as they are two completely different brand names for the same drug.