207 replies to this topic

#41 asmallchild

asmallchild

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

Solodyn update:

The price is alleviated a bit by insurance but the copay is still considerably higher than any other antibiotic out there.

I am about halfway thru my 3 month trial of Solodyn and it is working beautifully! (I still say my results are in part due to DKR but my dermatologist, obviously, would like to give the credit to Solodyn)

At the end of the 3 month period, the plan is to titrate down to the 45 mg pill instead of the 90 mg pill I am on.

I am still not completely acne free. I'd say I get about one small whitehead once a week. However, the whitehead resolves within a day or two and is much better than the inflammatory/red acne I was getting before.

Overall, very pleased.

I would 2nd the opinion that probably, any antibiotic would work (my acne wasn't too severe to start with) in my case. And if cost is an option, I would opt for the non-slow-release minocycline (Solodyn is a delayed release). However, my insurance is pretty good and I am very happy with the results so I will continue to stick with it!

#42 Guest_Guest_George_*_*

Guest_Guest_George_*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:41 PM

Hello everyone.
I was just recently prescribed Solodyn 90mg. I'd like to share a few quick things with you if I may:

1. The medicine is quite high in cost. $484.99 retail. With insurance, it was only a $50 co-pay. My dermatologist included a $50 off coupon, so the medicine came out free. It took the pharmacist about 20 minutes to call it in, but hey, I don't mind waiting 20 minutes for $50 off. So make sure you get that coupon.

2. As far as this being the same as any other anti-biotic, I can't really say at this point. I've taken tetracycline 500mg in the past, and the results were noticable after about 2 months. But I think you'll agree that 500mg is quite a bit more than the 90mg average that Solodyn offers.
Additionally, as this link (which has information from the FDA) shows,
It is not bioequivalent to any other previously approved minocycline products and is in no way interchangeable with other forms of the drug.

Therefore, it can't really be compared to any existing anti-biotics, or even Accutane. And from what I've been reading, it was only recently approved (Summer 2006). The long term effects have yet to be determined.

3. For those of you trying to do all of these anti-biotics and holding off on Accutane, I would say just get it over with. After taking tetracycline for about 3 months, the acne went away... for a while. Once it returned, I went and signed up for Accutane. It's not as bad as the side effects make it appear to be. The most annoying thing about the 5 month treatment were the headaches, and this was easily fixed by spacing out the pills. Instead of 2 in the morning and one at night, just do 1 three times a day. The only reason I'm taking Solodyn is because I'm one of those few people that still needs some minor treatment even after Accutane. But believe you me, it was much worse in my pre-Accutane days. Anyhoo, this post isn't about Accutane, it's about Solodyn.

Just my 2 (or rather, 3) cents. wink.gif

#43 Guest_Guest_George_*_*

Guest_Guest_George_*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:43 PM

Not sure why the link isn't working. But if you Google "Solodyn", it will be the 3rd result titled "FDA Approvals: Solodyn and Dacogen".

#44 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

okay i now started my 4th month and have seen improvement. i don't have any breakouts. I am also have b-lift chemical peels done every 2 weeks. they just went up in the strength of the peel since i was not having any problems with it. i see improvement in my fact and am quite happy. i called my derm to question using it longer than 3 months they told me they have some patients on it 6 months even a year. but i plan on this being my final perscrip i dont' like being on medication.

also as some have pointed out there is a 50 off coupon make sure you get it!!

#45 Guest_Guest_Lois_*_*

Guest_Guest_Lois_*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:58 PM

I just started taking Solodyn (5 days now). Wondered if anyone had problems with tinnitus (ringing in the ears), fuzzy vision, constipation?? It seems to be causing these issues....and it ISN'T doing anything for the acne. In fact, I had started with tetracycline (Adoxa) and had abdominal discomfort. I didn't take anything for two days after I stopped the Adoxa. Then started with the Solodyn. Within 24 hours I had 5 new bumps...one I had to go and get a steroid injection for. The dermatologist said I had to give it 2 months to know for sure if it worked or not. I figure, if it doesn't work by two weeks (most meds only take two weeks to start working) then it isn't worth my time. Any suggestions? Advice? Can anyone relate? I've had a hard time finding any info on this stuff too.

#46 benne237

benne237

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18
About Me

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:42 AM

I have now taken Solodyn for 11 weeks now and am still breaking out as usual. I think its time to switch to either Doxycycline or Accutane if the derm allows.

#47 Christine

Christine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

I've been using Solodyn for about 1.5 weeks now. I think I've seen slight improvement--fewer large pimples. But, I think a fair evaluation will be after 2 months or so.

I've had no real side effects, but have noticed strange low-level headaches and some mild dizziness or difficulty concentrating during conversations with people. ~Not sure if it's stress related (work & planning my wedding) or from the medication. (?)

I'm using this in combination with Ziana, a topical that has both clindamycin phosphate (antibiotic) and tretinoin mixed together. So far, I like the combination of Solodyn and Ziana because it's not causing redness, dryness or irritation, which I have experienced with other medications (most noteably Retin-A).

#48 asmallchild

asmallchild

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:38 PM

Been on Solodyn now for 3 months.

Results have been astounding!!

(To be fair, I started the DKR at the same time so it's hard to tell which one is kicking in)

I've recently begun to relapse a bit as my dermatologist wanted to start me on Tazorac as well for the blackheads on my nose and the clogged pores on my face. I believe the roughness of the Tazorac is causing a recent rash of whitehead breakouts.

But other than that, I intend to stay on the Solodyn as long as my derm deems acceptable (we've discussed it and feel safe with a year. I've also begun to drop my dosage to the 45mg pill once daily)

For those who are just starting out, I would definitely recommend sticking it thru.

For those who are experiencing side effects (headache is the big one), I'd definitely consult your derm before going any further.

Current Regimen:
90mg Solodyn once daily (soon to drop to 45)

Morning = Cetaphil wash, 2.5%BP to cheeks and chin, Cetaphil moisturizer

Evening = Cetaphil wash, 0.1% Tazorac gel to cheeks, chin, and nose, Cetaphil mositurizer

Lustra "fading cream" for my forehead = the Solodyn has completely wiped out acne in this region for some odd reason. I'm unsure if the Lustra has any effect or it's just the 3 months + NO FURTHER ACNE BREAKOUTS!!! on my forehead that has left that region looking spectacular!!

#49 300ZXTT

300ZXTT

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:34 PM

I was recently perscribed solodyn.. actually about 3 weeks now I have been on 45mg for a week and then 90mg for the last two weeks. So far I am seeing some minor improvments, but its hard to tell if the pills did it or the new topical treatment is the one helping. Either way, I have to say I definetly get headaches with the solodyn, but its usually nothing smoking some cannabis dosent take care of.

What i was curious about is if anyone has any idea why it says on the bottle: "Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking this medicine". It seems like the best time to take it would be right before I lie down to go to sleep so I dont experience the headaches.

#50 kristifire

kristifire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:10 AM

I've been on solodyn, back from november til the end of december... everyone says i looked sooo much better on it, but careful, it gave me really bad mood swings, so I refuse to go back on it again... I'd been on minocycline before and stopped after a month because I started crying for 3 hours at work, non-stop... couldn't stop even though I wanted to. On the solodyn, i recognized when I was being unreasonable, and just told ppl to stop talking to me. Told my bbf that if i acted like a b*tch, to just call me out on it and to not take offense. ...lol.. I actually got so upset at her birthday party because the guy i was driving with jumped out of the car to be with his friends when we got to her house.... a normal reaction would have been to think nothing of it, and join in with them, but I got sooo angry... didn't talk to anyone after that... A week after, I stopped the pills. I call it my crazy time whistling.gifp Threw mood swings for 2 months after, and I was only taking it every other day, 20 pills in total, didn't completely cure me, but made it look better, (or so they say...)

#51 miserablelawstudent

miserablelawstudent

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

im on it, 5 days now along with finacea...see how it goes after a month or so

#52 ~Amanda~

~Amanda~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:33 AM

I've been on solodyn for about a month now (also along with benzaclin and retin a micro). I've noticed a slight improvment... My forehead and cheeks feel smoother now. I havent really experienced any of the side effects. I've just been having major mood swings which I'm guessing is due to the tablets.

#53 5Penny

5Penny

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:11 PM

I just started using Solodyn after being on Doyrx since November. So far, so good, although I have noticed the light-headedness a bit. An important thing to remember is that you need to take it alone and not with a multi-vitamin or anything with calcium. The calcium does something with the release or messes it up somehow, same with the Doryx.

I am currently taking the Solodyn in the morning and using Tazorac at night and Duac in the morning. I've been using NeaClear face wash, Aveno moisturizer and the Bare Minerals line of makeup.

I notice the most difference when I am diligent about my routine and I keep my hands away from my face (ie.. picking). For me the Solodyn is a last resort before Accutane.

#54 idugapony

idugapony

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:39 PM

gah, i loved this prescription. never cost me a penny, though, my derm gave me a $30 coupoun (still....400 bucks?!?! confused.gif anyway, i was originally on dynacin and then switched when solodyn came out. my skin was perfectly clear and so my derm moved me from the 90 mg to the 45 mg and i started noticing a couple zits a month (as opposed to zero) and when i realized being on antibiotics for too long is bad, i went off it cold turkey. fast forward a couple months and right now i'm battling horribly cycstic acne...i've NEVER experienced cycstic acne in my life! got zits on cheeks/jaw (never had those before) so meh. toyed with the idea of going back on it except derm has me on 23948 other things eusa_eh.gif

#55 reggae22

reggae22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

The day I was prescribed Solodyn (I'm also taking it with the topical cream Ziana) I came to this sight and was greatly disappointed. All of the reveiws were terrible! Lets just say, I was already discouraged. I've tried so many medications and creams, I was honestly just ready to give up.

However, I began taking the Solodyn daily. I have now been taking it for exactly 1 month and 10 days, and I'm still a little skeptical, but pleased as well. My acne isn't gone, not even close, BUT I have seen improvements. The acne I do get now clears up MUCH faster than they did before, usually in just 2 or 3 days (normally it took at LEAST a week, and by that time, another round was already starting). And I am starting to see less and less......granted I'm still getting breakouts, BUT in smaller numbers each time.

I just wanted to post this for all the people out there who are already freaking out because they read the terrible reviews. I'd like to point out, that most of these people leaving these negative reviews, NOT all, but MOST, have only been taking it for a few DAYS. To all these people I want to say, "you're an idiot". It's going to take AT LEAST a month for any sign of improvement, and even then the improvement will be hard to see.

JUST STICK WITH IT! I can already tell that by 2 months, my skin will be better. And then by 3, my skin will be even better than before! I'll update in a few weeks!

#56 Mr Dolo

Mr Dolo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:My Regimen:<br /><br />-Morning-<br />Hit the Gym<br />Shower afterwards<br />Wash face with Neutrogena Acne Prone Bar<br />Proactiv Repairing Lotion (2.5% BP)<br />Cetaphil Moisturizer with SPF 15<br /><br />-Night-<br />I usually go running at night and then shower<br />but if not then i just:<br />Wash face with Neutrogena Acne Prone Bar<br />Proactiv Repairing Lotion (2.5% BP)<br />Cetaphil Moisturizer with SPF 15

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

any one know of conflicts with solodyn and multi vitamins? i read the pamphlet it comes with and it says not to take a vitamin until 3 hours after taking solodyn since some of the vitamin ingredients bind to soloydn and take longer to work..? not sure but i thought someone may know something i don't.

#57 BethsMom

BethsMom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:07 AM

The dermatologist wanted my daughter (11) to take Solodyn. I attempted to fill the prescription and was told my insurance would not cover it. I called the doctor and she said to call the 800 number on the leaflet she gave me. Well, the drug company will contact the insurance and negotiate to get it covered. They called me back in two days and said the insurance still would not cover it but I qualified for the cost offset program which would kick in $250. That would make the cost $150. A little over my budget. I called the doc and asked for a different med. This is the first time my daughter is taking oral meds so why not start with the least expensive. I called the pharmacy and doc called in minocycline which will cost $10. Big difference! I asked the pharmacist what she thought about the situation. She said that both meds contain the same ingredients, they are just formulated different. I also asked why the doc was so insistent on her having Solodyn, seemed like the doc would get something out of the deal. Well the pharmacist did not want to come right out and say it but she said that is entirely possible.

#58 ~Amanda~

~Amanda~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

I've now been on solodyn for about 3 months now. So, heres an update for anyone thats interested. My skin is a lot more smoother then before...i dont have any active bumps right now. Its all smooth...I'm just left with the redmarks. I've stopped using benzaclin because i dont really like using topicals at all. Anyways...thats all i wanted to say.

good luck to all,
Amanda

#59 sweetheart519

sweetheart519

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:57 PM

I've been on Solodyn about a week and a half. It seems like it's helping the breakouts I get to heal faster, but that's it so far. I'm still breaking out. I credit most of my skin's improvement to Benzamycin, which I have been using for just over 6 weeks now.

To Amanda...I'd caution you against stopping the topical treatment. Antibiotics alone are usually not enough to keep you acne free, they just help break the cycle. And if you don't use some kind of topical treatment, for maintenance, when you stop the Solodyn you will break out again.

#60 ~Amanda~

~Amanda~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(sweetheart519 @ Jun 23 2007, 12:57 PM) View Post
To Amanda...I'd caution you against stopping the topical treatment. Antibiotics alone are usually not enough to keep you acne free, they just help break the cycle. And if you don't use some kind of topical treatment, for maintenance, when you stop the Solodyn you will break out again.

Thanks for the advice =), but I'm still using Retin a micro so its all good for now. I dont know.. I just really dont like putting topicals on my face. It makes it all shiny eusa_shifty.gif . And not only that but the benzaclin was making my skin even MORE oily (and heck its already oily enough lol). I'm going to be going on accutane most likely in the fall anyways though =)

Um..well even though its only been a couple of days heres another update heh.

Anyways, My skin is still better then it was...Although i did break out with a large pimple on my cheek. (not that i mind it...its so much better then having large pimples all over my cheeks). Anyways thats all.

Amanda

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users