Photo

Milk Thistle and Dandelion

milk thistle milk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 handsbella

handsbella

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:10 AM

I have acne problems about one year. A few months ago, I started to take"Milk Thistle and Dandelion" supplement daily with the recommended dosage stated on the bottle. (I didnt take overdosage). I didnt have any breakouts whenever I take the supplement.

I would like to know is it safe to take Milk Thistle and Dandelion in long term?
Is there any bad effects if we take Milk Thistle and Dandelion in long term from your experiences?

Appreciate any opinion, thanks.

#2 m4x

m4x

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE(handsbella @ Jul 24 2006, 03:10 AM) View Post

I have acne problems about one year. A few months ago, I started to take"Milk Thistle and Dandelion" supplement daily with the recommended dosage stated on the bottle. (I didnt take overdosage). I didnt have any breakouts whenever I take the supplement.

I would like to know is it safe to take Milk Thistle and Dandelion in long term?
Is there any bad effects if we take Milk Thistle and Dandelion in long term from your experiences?

hmm well i think not, its a natural herb, why should it hurt you? Just follow the recommend dosages and nothing going to happend to you. I have Milk Thistle and Dandelion in my vitamin regimen.

#3 lexisa42

lexisa42

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE(handsbella @ Jul 24 2006, 04:10 AM) View Post

Hi, Maybe u can go ask at:
http://www.askshelley.com/forum/
I'm certain that Shelley will have the answer biggrin.gif
Good luck
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill ... don't give up though the pace seems slow ... it's when things seem worst, that you must not quit ... stick to the fight when you're hardest hit ... cause when things seem so far, they may be so near ...
success is failure turned inside out ...

#4 R.S.

R.S.

Senior Administrator

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:39 AM

Dandelion is safe long term, it is a diuretic but also replenishes the potassium that goes out since it's one of the highest natural sources.

Milk thistle on the other hand I'm not sure, it may be something you don't want to do more then a couple months.

The fact that you don't get breakouts when you take these suggests that your acne roots down to your liver or kidneys not fulling cleansing blood as best as they could, in turn leading to dirty blood / acne. Maybe you should look into more things to aid the liver, then you'll have a full point attack as opposed to a single herb concoction.
topical:
tea tree oil soap.
qh mint julep mask.
hydrogen peroxide for occassional spot treatment.
shaving for exfoliation.
internally:
fish oil, 3g daily.

#5 NoLongerActive

NoLongerActive

Leon

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:10 PM

Personally I wouldn't touch either of them with a barge poll.

Both Milk thistle and Dandelion Root made me break out really bad, and I was itching all over. Maybe its just and allergic reaction to them that other people wouldn't have. Seriously, bad experience.

*Leon* =D
Beauty is in the eyes of the media

#6 Case N

Case N

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:32 PM

Leon:

Not that you are wrong but in my experience when you take supplements like Milk Thistle and Especially Dandelion, you are not breaking out because of them. Rather what is happening is Acne which was going to surface anyways at a slower rate is coming through more all at once due to the cleansing effects of the supplement.

I understand everyone has different experiences but these two plants have been consumed for a long time simply because they agree with our system so well. I've never head anyone else speak negatively about them.

A good example of the above is when I take Brewers Yeast I breakout like my face is committing suicide. It took me awhile before I realized that I was just getting the acne out of my system faster. It's a catch 22 really.

If you are correct in that Milk Thistle and Dandelion cause a negative reaction in you, then maybe you have an underlying problem with yourself that's causing this side effect, rather than them causing the breakouts directly (which is unlikely).

#7 handsbella

handsbella

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:20 PM

[quote name='m4x' date='Jul 24 2006, 05:09 AM' post='1238561']

[/quote]

hmm well i think not, its a natural herb, why should it hurt you? Just follow the recommend dosages and nothing going to happend to you. I have Milk Thistle and Dandelion in my vitamin regimen.
[/quote]

Hi, M4x, thanks for your post.
How much mg of Milk thistle and Dandelion do you take daily?
I have read this:
"there is a problem with taking it long term. you should only take liver herbs for about 3-4 months at most, then take about a 2-month break. Otherwise, you risk ramping up the cellular metabolism so much that you start creating cancer cells. "

But, I am not sure how accurate this information is?
How long have you take these two supplements and do you plan to take it long term?

QUOTE(lexisa42 @ Jul 24 2006, 06:00 AM) View Post

QUOTE(handsbella @ Jul 24 2006, 04:10 AM) View Post

Hi, Maybe u can go ask at:
http://www.askshelley.com/forum/
I'm certain that Shelley will have the answer biggrin.gif
Good luck

Hi, Lexisa42, thanks for your post.
Is Shelley really experienced in this all? Forgive me for asking this as I am new to this field. I read her posts but it seems like she does not recommend to take liver herbs in long term?

QUOTE(rubber sheep @ Jul 24 2006, 08:39 AM) View Post

Milk thistle on the other hand I'm not sure, it may be something you don't want to do more then a couple months.

Hi, Rubber Sheep, thanks for your reply.

May I know what you mean by the above sentence? Mind to elaborate, please?

Hi, Casenickles, personally do you take Milk Thistle and Dandelion?
I read in your above post that, you seems to mean that Milk Thistle is no good compared to Dandelion?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

#8 Lebal

Lebal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:05 AM

Just because something is natural doesnt mean its harmless. Kava Kava has been withdrawn from general use in the UK because it was linked with Liver failure cases, an extreme example may be but it provides some context. The very popular St Johns Wort should not be taken by people on blood pressure medication because it has a very dramatic contraindication which could result in a life threatening drop in pressure levels. Even eating a grapefruit on some medication is not advised, it contains a inhibitor of an enzyme the liver uses to break down some medications, meaning that hits and builds up in the bloodstream to serious levels, nicotine replacement thearpies are the most common problem with this. Milk thistle doesnt however seem to have any of these issues, but it had not been extensivly studied, so treating it with the same diligence as you would a medication in the same sense is the best way.

#9 R.S.

R.S.

Senior Administrator

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE(lebal @ Jul 26 2006, 04:05 AM) View Post

Just because something is natural doesnt mean its harmless. Kava Kava has been withdrawn from general use in the UK because it was linked with Liver failure cases, an extreme example may be but it provides some context. The very popular St Johns Wort should not be taken by people on blood pressure medication because it has a very dramatic contraindication which could result in a life threatening drop in pressure levels. Even eating a grapefruit on some medication is not advised, it contains a inhibitor of an enzyme the liver uses to break down some medications, meaning that hits and builds up in the bloodstream to serious levels, nicotine replacement thearpies are the most common problem with this. Milk thistle doesnt however seem to have any of these issues, but it had not been extensivly studied, so treating it with the same diligence as you would a medication in the same sense is the best way.

Okay, so 1) you listed something that's moreso media and pharmaceutical propaganda (the kava kava is not as dangerous as people will have you believe, don't overdoit/abuse it like anything else; wasn't meant to be taken every day like some irresponsible consumers would do), and 2) you basically stated certain herbs/foods can interfere with prescription medications. Do you know why the pharmaceutical industry gets things liket his published and makes such a scare out of it? They don't want you to buy herbs instead of their prescriptions. It's just good business basically. I will agree that the Earth is not the Garden of Eden, some herbs are indeed very dangerous, even deadly. But on the other hand, I think most patented prescription drugs are also no good for the body.

handsbella, as far as the milk thistle thing went, I've just heard other people say it's not meant for long term use. I don't know firsthand, so don't take my word for it. But keep in mind there's many other things to help clean the liver along with it (turmeric comes to mind).
topical:
tea tree oil soap.
qh mint julep mask.
hydrogen peroxide for occassional spot treatment.
shaving for exfoliation.
internally:
fish oil, 3g daily.

#10 NoLongerActive

NoLongerActive

Leon

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(casenickles @ Jul 26 2006, 02:32 AM) View Post
Leon:

Not that you are wrong but in my experience when you take supplements like Milk Thistle and Especially Dandelion, you are not breaking out because of them. Rather what is happening is Acne which was going to surface anyways at a slower rate is coming through more all at once due to the cleansing effects of the supplement.

I understand everyone has different experiences but these two plants have been consumed for a long time simply because they agree with our system so well. I've never head anyone else speak negatively about them.

A good example of the above is when I take Brewers Yeast I breakout like my face is committing suicide. It took me awhile before I realized that I was just getting the acne out of my system faster. It's a catch 22 really.

If you are correct in that Milk Thistle and Dandelion cause a negative reaction in you, then maybe you have an underlying problem with yourself that's causing this side effect, rather than them causing the breakouts directly (which is unlikely).

Hey thats a good point. I think my problem is severe skin allergies to absolutely anything. Milk Thistle and Dandelion Root would probably work for other people like you say. I suspected allergies in the first place.

When you do take a herb that has an effect on your acne though it tends to be the hard Blackheads / Whiteheads that rise to the surface quickly. Redness due to puss will often recede when a herb is working. With the Milk Thistle and Dandelion Root neither happened, and the symptoms only got worse from taking them. It also made my skin itch all over my body which does suggest an allergy and not the herbs simply working.

In the end though everyone is different. Any regimen is not 100% right for everyone, so people should try the recommended herbs before committing to them.

*Leon* ^^

Beauty is in the eyes of the media