Photo

Pics of my skin: enlarged pores and shallow scars - what will help me?

aha alpha hydroxy acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 XYZ1

XYZ1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:06 AM

Hi,
here pictures of my skin:

Since March I had:
2x30% Neostrata AHA Peeling at the Derm
1x50% Neostrata AHA Peeling at the Derm
3x30% Glycolic Acid Peeling at home using this product: http://www.glymagic.com/

Between the peelings I used the Neostrata Cleanser and the Neostrata Gel (15% AHA). Sometimes I used BPO 10% or an Erythromycin Gel.

The peelings prevent me from more whiteheads, but there is no effect in improving my enlarged pores or my shallow scars.

What should I do to remove my enlarged pores and shallow scars?

I know I don't have a big skin problem compared to others, but it bothers me.

THX

Edited by XYZ1, 16 April 2013 - 04:43 AM.

#2 putty13

putty13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE(XYZ1 @ Jul 23 2006, 11:06 AM) View Post

Hi,
here pictures of my skin:
IPB Image
IPB Image

Since March I had:
2x30% Neostrata AHA Peeling at the Derm
1x50% Neostrata AHA Peeling at the Derm
3x30% Glycolic Acid Peeling at home using this product: http://www.glymagic.com/

Between the peelings I used the Neostrata Cleanser and the Neostrata Gel (15% AHA). Sometimes I used BPO 10% or an Erythromycin Gel.

The peelings prevent me from more whiteheads, but there is no effect in improving my enlarged pores or my shallow scars.

What should I do to remove my enlarged pores and shallow scars?

hi there.

your skin looks pretty good. much less actual scarring than mine.

i'm going to a derm on the 7th to ask about tca cross and/or peel. i'll keep you updated i know how annoying it can be having such minor scarring...we're so close to good skin but at the same time so far.

hang in there.

I know I don't have a big skin problem compared to others, but it bothers me.

THX

#3 Guest_yoyoma_*

Guest_yoyoma_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:14 AM

I've used Neostrata before...i'm indifferent about it.

If I were you, I won't use the Glycolic anymore..that stuff burns...switch to lactic. I got burned big time using 30% glycolic (i think i have my pic somewhere in the scar gallery).

Use BP facewash everytime you take a shower, that stuff works for me...i think overall your skin is ok, EVERYBODY's skin seems to be much worse when you take pictures cause all the NATURAL imperfections are magnified by 10 fold

#4 Hopesprings

Hopesprings

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:22 AM

XYZ, your skin is in pretty good shape. I would suggest a mild retinoid which does wonders for skin in general and enlarged pores but you have to wear sunscreen afterward. I assume you already do after all those peels?
Also, you could try copper peptides and/or salicylic acid for the general benefits for skin (tightening pores, cleaning them, encouraging collagen).

#5 XYZ1

XYZ1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:29 PM

Hi,
which rentinoid do you suggest? Do you have a link?

I thought about APeel, Microdermabrasion or TCA.
What dou you think will this work to get rid of the enlarged pores?

#6 Hopesprings

Hopesprings

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:50 PM

I haven't tried too many brands of retinoids but I did try Apeel daily and correct and LOVED them both. What's more, you don't put it that often so it's not a daily thing. People here who have used all kinds could share their experiences with different brands. Almost all manifactures have some kind of retinols so you can shop around. Look at skinstore and skincareRX.

I really suggest you try the copper peptides and SCP from skinbio. You don't have to buy the full sized, you can buy samples and see if you like it. Some people react to it better than others.

AND, I can't recommend salicylic acid enough - it's wonderful! There are all kinds of %, some leave ons, some peels. GREAT eusa_angel.gif

As for TCA - it's a peel. Personally, I love the peel I get and it actually seems to tighten my pores. I don't know if it's a permanent effect because I tried it only twice 6 weeks apart so we'll see.

Microdermabration I did on my own was also good for me but I'm not sure you need it. You'd be better off with the rest in my opinion.

#7 XYZ1

XYZ1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(Hopesprings @ Jul 23 2006, 11:50 PM) View Post

I haven't tried too many brands of retinoids but I did try Apeel daily and correct and LOVED them both. What's more, you don't put it that often so it's not a daily thing. People here who have used all kinds could share their experiences with different brands. Almost all manifactures have some kind of retinols so you can shop around. Look at skinstore and skincareRX.

I really suggest you try the copper peptides and SCP from skinbio. You don't have to buy the full sized, you can buy samples and see if you like it. Some people react to it better than others.

AND, I can't recommend salicylic acid enough - it's wonderful! There are all kinds of %, some leave ons, some peels. GREAT eusa_angel.gif

As for TCA - it's a peel. Personally, I love the peel I get and it actually seems to tighten my pores. I don't know if it's a permanent effect because I tried it only twice 6 weeks apart so we'll see.

Microdermabration I did on my own was also good for me but I'm not sure you need it. You'd be better off with the rest in my opinion.

Is Apeel a Retinoid?
What can I expect from it? Is it really stronger than an AHA with 50%?

#8 Pff..

Pff..

patience patience patience...zzzz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:15 PM

Hope ive been using the supercop and had to stop because its making me break out. I rarely break out anymore (usually a little around my monthly cycle but not much). Yet Im getting cystic lumps! Its frustrating because I really think cp could help.

Im just using it on small areas now and guaging how its going. When i break out i leave that area for a while. Problem is the cystic bumps stay a long time, so im wondering if i should give up on the cp sad.gif .

Did you have any probs at any point with it?

Maybe my skin is just reactive to copper peptides T_T

QUOTE(XYZ1 @ Jul 23 2006, 11:46 PM) View Post

Is Apeel a Retinoid?
What can I expect from it? Is it really stronger than an AHA with 50%?

XYZ1 there is a really detailed Apeel thread in the scar forum. I dont know the link, but if you type Apeel into the search facility you should be able to find it easily.

#9 j.l.r.m.

j.l.r.m.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

Your skin looks like it is in very good shape. Don't mess with it. Those are not scars, those are imperfections in the skin that everyone has. You only risk making things worse, not better.

Ok, I'm starting to feel like there are too many obsessive people on this site.

#10 XYZ1

XYZ1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:48 AM

Hi,
no these are more than imperfections.

I don't know anybody who's face is full of enlarged pores all over the face like me.
I definately want to improve or better get rid of the completely. There are so much scar treatment methods and mine is only shallow so they should work for me. If they don't even work for me then they will never work for people with real scarring.
So what do you suggest (I'm living in Germany)?

I know that my skin is OK compared to others here but it bothers me.
Particularly it bothers me more because 5 years ago girls told me my skin looks so pretty what I've done to it whistling.gif( My sister has absolute perfect skin, she never has to wear make up and I had the same skin...

You are all talking I should use a retinoid. Is Differin Gel (Adapalen) also a retinoid?
I've used BPO 10% and Erytromycin. Is this not so good for me than a retinoid?

#11 Hopesprings

Hopesprings

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:14 AM

XYZ, apeel is a retinoid and it seems pretty strong.

I don't think you can really compare retinoids to BP to AHA, BHA and so on. They all work a little differently and different people react differently. Unfortunately there's no way to predict how each person will react to what unless one tries sad.gif

Just go slow with whatever you choose and don't start piling all kinds on it. Just listen to your skin and go slow.

Pfff, I had a minor breakout when I started the cp's. I broke out a little around the mouth first week but then it passed and all is well - so far biggrin.gif

I suggest for now that you stop the supercop and only put regular cp - DILUTED. Work your way up with it very slowly. It really demands patience and building tolerance, just like retinoids for many people.

#12 XYZ1

XYZ1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:33 AM

XYZ, apeel is a retinoid and it seems pretty strong.

I don't think you can really compare retinoids to BP to AHA, BHA and so on. They all work a little differently and different people react differently. Unfortunately there's no way to predict how each person will react to what unless one tries

Just go slow with whatever you choose and don't start piling all kinds on it. Just listen to your skin and go slow.

OK, then I think I will try the Apeel.
I don't think that the AHA and Glycolic Acid will help me to get rid of the enlarged pores.
Actually my skin is not peeling with Glycolic Acid @ 30% and I don't want to try 50 or 70% at home.
It just helps me in prevent me from new witheheads and get rid of existing ones.
Hopefully I will peel a lot with this Apeel.

What about Microdermabrasion? I thought about this because it seems very effective and is not so dangerous.

#13 j.l.r.m.

j.l.r.m.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:25 AM

Firstly, you do not have scars. Not even minor scars. Secondly, you have very mild acne, and if you deal with that you will have practically perfect skin. Salicylic acid or BP should clear up that acne. Finally, please remember that all treatments come at the risk of making things worse - retinoids can cause breakouts in some people, and strong peels run the risk of hyper or hypopigmentation, as well as additional scarring and texture problems.

Why mess around with such nice skin? I say this with the best of intent, because I've seen minor/mild scarring, and your skin is NOT SCARRED AT ALL.

#14 XYZ1

XYZ1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:56 AM

Firstly, you do not have scars. Not even minor scars.

I have whiteheads and oily skin since 10 years. And that has left marks on my skin (shallow scars and enlarged pores). Maybe I should make another pic in a worse light angle, then you will realize it.

Secondly, you have very mild acne, and if you deal with that you will have practically perfect skin. Salicylic acid or BP should clear up that acne.

I tried everything available except accutane. And so far I had the best results with B5 (only worked for 6 months) and this AHA or Glycolic Acid peelings. All these cremes and gels are bullsh*t, nothing of them cleared me up completely. I live in Germany and the names of the products are maybe a bit different, but here only a few of them: Differin, Eryaknen, Skinoren, Cordes BPO, Isotrexin, Tretinoin,...

Why mess around with such nice skin? I say this with the best of intent, because I've seen minor/mild scarring, and your skin is NOT SCARRED AT ALL.

Thanks, but in my opinion it's not nice skin. Let's assume I will get rid of these enlarged pores and shallow scars then I would be satisfied because my acne is very mild and I don't care about a few small pimples.
But the combination of oily skin and those big pores looks so dirty and scruffy.
When I was youger I already had this oily skin but only a few pimples and it was OK, because the rest of my skin was beautyful. But every whitehead left me with an enlarged pore, and now my whole face is full of them.
My nice skin was always very important for me. I'm very thin, have problems with my back, have glasses and I had a disease for 3 years. During this time it helped me a lot to look into the mirror and have seen that I’m looking good.

#15 jamesjoyce

jamesjoyce

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:13 AM

I had this. It's a cycle of your skincare oil, scrub, oil, scrub. Get Accutane!

#16 XYZ1

XYZ1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE(jamesjoyce @ Jul 24 2006, 04:13 PM) View Post

I had this. It's a cycle of your skincare oil, scrub, oil, scrub. Get Accutane!

No one of the derms wanted to describe me Accutane, even if I asked them for.

If one of those stupid called doctors would have described me Accutane 5 years ago (when I only had oily skin and pimples but still a nice skin) then I think I would have still beautyful skin, no pimples and no oily skin now.
But now it's to late. I don't want to generate other problems like eyerings or loose my hair.

Therefore I want to remove the ugly skin, so that my skin looks like normal male skin (it must be no baby skin). Then I'm fine with the few pimples, I don't really care about them.

I think I will try Apeel and after that Microdermabrassion because both of them seem relatively safe. Or does somebody have a better suggestion for treatment?

#17 jamesjoyce

jamesjoyce

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:12 AM

That wont do anything. You need to stop the oil from the inside.

You might not even think u have oily skin if you have good regimen. But your skin looks just like mine did.

some of those pores are enlarged from the abrasive peels and crap u've been doing. in addition to getting rid of oil, u actually need to stop doing harsh things and let the skin calm down for the pores to close up.

accutane will make ur skin look like a man. I know what u mean. it will.

don't worry about all the hype and side effects, it's much milder than anything you've already done to your skin. the side effects are in less than a few percent of patients. i have none except CLEAR skin.

find a doc that will prescribe accutane. do an internet search for accutane docs in ur area. that's what i did. it's totally a matter of opinion with accutane. try to get a doc around the age of 40. chances are s/he as on it and will give it to you.

you will be totally disappointed with apeel or microderm. anyway all that stuff is temporary. accutane is permanent.

its never too late. im 24. get accutane it really is the first and only step for you to take. i wish someone told me this 10 years ago. any scars/pores left after accutane can get taken care of with the fraxel laser. but that's pointless if you're not going to address the acne/oil first with accutane.

#18 XYZ1

XYZ1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:37 AM

First, thank you for your answers!

That wont do anything. You need to stop the oil from the inside.

Yes that maybe would be the best solution, but:
1. Doctors will not describe it to me, because my acne is to mild
2. I've read from a lot of people that even with accutane the oily skin came back after a while
3. There is a risk with the side effects
4. If there is an initial breakout I will maybe become real scars
I was already on B5 for 8 months or so and the first few months (during winter) it worked great. But after that I broke out more than before.

You might not even think u have oily skin if you have good regimen. But your skin looks just like mine did.

Do you have before/after pics?

some of those pores are enlarged from the abrasive peels and crap u've been doing. in addition to getting rid of oil, u actually need to stop doing harsh things and let the skin calm down for the pores to close up.

No they are enlarged from the whiteheads. Every whithead left me with an enlarged pore. The peels actually helped already a bit to improve them. I don't do a lot of harsh things: At the moment 30% Glycolic Acid every 2-4 weeks, sometimes BPO or Ery locally and wash daily with a Neostrata cleanser.
I also did completely nothing for 1 year to my skin and the pores and oily skin remained the same.

you will be totally disappointed with apeel or microderm. anyway all that stuff is temporary. accutane is permanent.

As I already said before I heard from a lot of people that accutane was not permanent. Why should a good peel or microderm. be just temporary? If a scar is removed then it's removed. And as I already said before if the rest of the skin looks fine I don't care about this few pimples.

any scars/pores left after accutane can get taken care of with the fraxel laser. but that's pointless if you're not going to address it first with accutane.

I don't think they are offering the Fraxel already in Germany. But let's assume I would get rid of the pores with the Fraxel then it would take years to have enlarged pores on the full face again, because my acne is very mild.
So then my skin will be fine for at least a few years without the risks of accutane.

#19 LawBoy

LawBoy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:20 PM

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, I don't see ANYTHING wrong with your skin with the exception that you CAN see pores. There is nothing you can do about pores (from a doctor standpoint or home remedies/solutions) and you don't have any scarring. Any procedures you engage in will only run the risk of making your skin become more damaged or iritated by undergoing a treatment (whether acid, laser, or prescription). Go into the scar gallery and look what other members have in terms of scarring and you will realize NO ONE WILL EVER NOTICE ANYTHING ON YOUR FACE!! Your face is better than the average person (with or without scarring), you just can't see it b/c of your own objectivity. The moment you can let it go will be the moment you never have to deal with it again b/c you really do not have any form of scarring (just some visible pores that aren't even that big - most of the population has this problem). Getting over it would be in your best interest.

#20 Blackanese

Blackanese

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:06 PM

I tottaly agree that your skin is beautiful! Many guys would kill for skin like yours it is pretty much flawless. I am not sure why you feel the way you do about your skin but I think that you should avoid the harsh treatments. I really cant see any scars but some enlarged pores is all. Maybe you can benefit from microdermbrasion.