Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lisabees

Does squeezing blackheads enlarge/damage a pore or relieve it?

17 posts in this topic

Okay - I'm researching blackheads online and I'm getting different opinions. One is - never squeeze or you'll enlarge and damage the pore forever. The other is squeeze to relieve pressure. Both say to be careful, of course, because of scarring and bacteria.

This is Paula Begoun (sp?) says, "Fortunately, gently removing a blackhead or blemish with light-handed squeezing can actually help the skin. Removing the stuff inside a blackhead or especially a pimple relieves the pressure and reduces further damage. Yes, squeezing can be detrimental to the skin, but how you squeeze determines whether you inflict harm."

What is the truth?

You'll get different opinions on this no doubt.

I notice when I let sebum plugs turn into blackheads (on nose) that the pores shrunk but the blackeheads became hard and almost impossible to remove.

When I squeezed sebum plugs on my nose they just came back in a week or less. the only preventative is accutane which stops the sebum.

squezzing sebum plugs/blackheads on my cheeks didnt enlarge pores.

popping on the other hand has left some scarred pores. I wish I never popped or was patient enough to wait for the pimple to come to a head then prick it with a clean needle. i do this now and cover it with neosporin and a bandaid and it usually leaves not scar or redmark.

ACCUTANE?

Double serum blood levels. Swallow your pill with two tablespoons of warm olive oil.

Acne completely gone for months; waiting one year after accutane to get fraxel.

just make sure you extract it when its ready and not force it out.. those comedone extractors works better than fingers in my opinion.. i still think its pointless to extract them unless your using something for a preventative... or your just going to be constantly extracting them.

yeah i really need an extractor and a bottle of alcohol. its so much more sanitary.

ACCUTANE?

Double serum blood levels. Swallow your pill with two tablespoons of warm olive oil.

believe it or not if you leave them there they will just get bigger and bigger making your pore bigger. if you can GENTLY squeeze them out you wont damge your pore. if not just try some medicine everybody talks about on here.

LIVE and LEARN

trust, years of squeezing my nose and made it wrinikly, something no1 wants... :(

trust, years of squeezing my nose and made it wrinikly, something no1 wants... :(

I didn't know a nose could become wrinkled.

Regimen:

Morning- Brevoxyl? 4 % face wash

Night- 4% Brevoxyl face wash and differin

I have tiny holes on mynose from blackheads thank god none on my cheeks...

My cheeks and forhead have always remained clear, My jaw line is now giving me problems! Persistent buggers on my jaw line in the same spot!

i did it for years and still am, my nose wrinkled up if you press the kin. don't do it.

once i see a blackhead i squeeze it gently if its not comin out i exfoliate my face and after about a week the blackhead should easily come out if i squeeze it after a shower. i think the only cure for black heads is eliminating them by squeezing, and taking vitamin C.

Okay - I'm researching blackheads online and I'm getting different opinions. One is - never squeeze or you'll enlarge and damage the pore forever. The other is squeeze to relieve pressure. Both say to be careful, of course, because of scarring and bacteria.

This is Paula Begoun (sp?) says, "Fortunately, gently removing a blackhead or blemish with light-handed squeezing can actually help the skin. Removing the stuff inside a blackhead or especially a pimple relieves the pressure and reduces further damage. Yes, squeezing can be detrimental to the skin, but how you squeeze determines whether you inflict harm."

What is the truth?

I wouldn't really say that Paula Begoun is a reliable source and believe me when i say i have read pretty much everything she has written and ye, she is good at what she does (revealing the beauty industry) but alot of things that she claims is basically just bullshit.

My own opinion is that squeezing is something no-one should do. At no costs. Let your skins natural oils combined with your daily skincare do the job and you're skin will be happy (and so will you when you dont notice any scars/redness)

Love is what love does and love doesn't hurt!

if its a daily issue u need accutane.

anything else and ur just treating the symptoms. accutane will stop the sebum overproduction.

ACCUTANE?

if its a daily issue u need accutane.

anything else and ur just treating the symptoms. accutane will stop the sebum overproduction.

So, basically, accutane is your answer to everything?

DON"T do it. trust me on this. i've been doing this for along time and my nose is red,oily and had large pores.

very tempting but just don't do it

I use to squeeze out the blackheads on my nose every week...never did anything. They would just come back the next day and it made my nose red and irritated. It also made my pores larger. After a while, I gave out. The blackheads are still here, but they're less noticeable I just leave them alone and they more or less make themselves inconspicuous

About once a week I squeeze my nose, and the cheeks next to it, to clear it of blackheads. When I squeeze them all this white shit comes out, and my nose feels weird and starts running. The night I do it my face is all red and my pimples are blaringly obvious, but the next day it seems normal except for I have less blackheads.

I am not sure how much this irritates the skin, and as for enlarging pores, I have a couple of those on my cheeks but you can't really see them and they heal fast.

I'm in the squeeze them out as soon as possible camp, the longer you leave them the bigger the pore gets.

Yes they come back, hoping one day they won't. Very time consuming as well. But I know I'd look ten times worse if I'd left them.

My Roaccutane log

20mg a day

ive found that squeezing them is the only way to get rid of them most of the time. All the do is get bigger and deeper. I did two yesterday and man was it a relief. almost a year of those two and one power squeeze and they're gone.

I don't squeeze my nose those since the blackheads in there arent really on the surface. just the ones under my eyes.

....................__

............./´¯/'..'/´¯¯`·¸

........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\

........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')

.........\.................'...../

..........''...\.......... _.·´

............\..............(

.............\..............(

God damn this post made me go pick all my blackheads I had been leaving alone for two months now on my cheeks because they're in an area where I already have some scarred pores.

Hopefully these ones don't too. The stuff inside came out as seeds.

The ones under the eye hurt the most though :D

And they are more likely to enlarge, I usually just stick with the nose.

not really. When I do squeeze them out (which is not often) I do a power squeeze, where I squeeze really hard for a second or two, and it all comes out rather quick. I dont use my fingernails nor do I get close to the blackhead. Many people would question that method, but I've yet to have one get infected or inflammed when doing it. Usually if you lightly squeeze at it for awhile it starts to get infected. I use two pieces of toilet paper (for grip and a barrier) and if it doesnt come out on the first try or two I stop. worked for me. :D

....................__

............./´¯/'..'/´¯¯`·¸

........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\

........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')

.........\.................'...../

..........''...\.......... _.·´

............\..............(

.............\..............(

The ones under the eye hurt the most though :D

And they are more likely to enlarge, I usually just stick with the nose.

hmm not really actually, i used to have clusters of yellowish bumps and black heads under my eyes. one day i just went ballistic and squeezed everything out pretty easily, and then immediately applied some alcohol which flatened the area and then the next day i was acne free under my eye.

I have really enlarged/scarred pores on my nose from squeezing out blackheads. don't do it!The pore wall can often be damaged and the pore will look larger or scarred/stretched....much worse than a little blackhead!

I have really enlarged/scarred pores on my nose from squeezing out blackheads. don't do it!The pore wall can often be damaged and the pore will look larger or scarred/stretched....much worse than a little blackhead!

You're wrong!!!!!

My Roaccutane log

20mg a day