Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do I feel like the pill gets stuck in my throat?

16 posts in this topic

Many times when I swallow my accutane pill, I feel like it hits my throat and it feels slightly uncomfortable from 2 minutes up to like 30 mins then that feeling goes away. In the past this used to happen occassionally but now a lot more often, I'm on my 6 month btw. I swallow the pill with 2 glasses of water, but when that happens does it mean the pill gets stuck in my throat and not going down?

That happens sometimes to me..I think it's because my pill turns sideways when it goes down.. :evil:

actually, in my field we do swallowing therapy too...And we always asked this question in anatomy class..lol..There are actually little structures in the back of the throat that pills/pieces of food can get stuck in..Sometimes grabbing some crackers and some more to drink can help it go on down..But sometimes it makes it worse...But eventually it'll go on down...

No, it won't harm you..Eventually your saliva will make the pill dissolve..then the pill will fall on down your throat.

It shouldn't take too long for the pill to dissolve..

The worst part of it is that it's uncomfortable and sometimes you can taste the pill *yuck*

So, just try to take your pills with a full glass of fluid..so that if it does get stuck, the water will allow it to go ahead and dissolve

This is why it's recommended to take your pills with meal, unless otherwise specified. If you just let those pills linger in your esophagus, the chance of it causing damage to the lining increases, which will lead to all sort of annoying problems.

I have this problem and that's why I eat half of my meal and then take the pill and then eat the rest. Or at least leave a few bites of my meal. I've always had this problem with pill and since this one can cause damage to the esophagus I try to have something to eat after I take it to make sure it gets down.

BTW Lunaire I love your dancing stewie

I have this problem and that's why I eat half of my meal and then take the pill and then eat the rest. Or at least leave a few bites of my meal. I've always had this problem with pill and since this one can cause damage to the esophagus I try to have something to eat after I take it to make sure it gets down.

i had one almost come back out my nose once lol

i had one almost come back out my nose once lol

Uhhhh...... ok

I tried to take tylenol without any water..and it didn't go down..and no matter what i did it woudln't go down..and it had been a few mins so i was coughing trying to get it up..and i coughed and a bunch of the power (from the tylenol capsule) came out of my mouth...

It was SOOO gross

No, it won't harm you..

Actually, yes it can. It can seriously damage the lining of the esophagus if the pill casing dissolves before it reaches the stomach. Isotretinoin is acidic.

if it happens every time you take a pill..and you take pills often, of course it can hurt you...

But normally it doesn't happen that often unless you have some sort of dysphagia...And if you have that you have worse problems to deal with (aspirating) then damaging the lining of your esophagus...

But i'm going to take a gander and assume most people on .org don't have dysphagia

It happens to people who don't have dysphagia - it specifically warns of this in the literature. I'm talking about isotretinoin specifically - not Tylenol or something similiar.

It happens to people who don't have dysphagia - it specifically warns of this in the literature. I'm talking about isotretinoin specifically - not Tylenol or something similiar.

^ True that.

I personally know people that took accutane before bed (<1hr), it didn't go down all the way, and she woke up with a minor ulcer of the esophagus... Not life threathening, but she was horrible for a week or so.

I had that same feeling when I first started it but now it seems like it went away.

Another possible reason for difficulty swalling could be an enlarged thyroid gland (located in your neck) related to Hypothyroidism. You could have your TSH checked or have your doctor manually feel for the thyroid gland.