Photo

Can I use Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic acid together?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 starzmasta

starzmasta

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:33 AM

I have pretty bad ache on my face. My skin gets oily very fast. Lately I bought some over-the-counter acne treatment. One is a "pore uncloggin scrub" which contains 2% of salicylic acid. Another is the Benzoyl peroxide treatment which has 5%.

Would it be okay if I used both one after another during my daily wash? or Can I use one in the morning and one at night?

#2 frontman

frontman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:25 PM

Have a read of this:

http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=11566

I'm starting it too.

#3 Alzi

Alzi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:19 PM

That's what I've been using as the basis for my regimen and its helped control my acne greatly. Just make sure you moisturize afterwards because the combination can be quite drying. Good luck.

#4 lsf2006

lsf2006

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

Although the Clear Skin Regimen on this board does NOT recommend using BP with salicylic acid, I totally disagree and so do a lot of dermatologists. BP kills the bacteria while SA exfoliates and unclogs pores. For the life of me I don't understand why Dan recommends glycolic acid, which is harsher than salicylic acid.

Upon the advice of a dermatologist, today I switched to a salicylic acid based moisture cream (specifically, Turnaround Cream by Clinique- but there are cheaper ones out there), and I wish I had done it sooner. Salicylic Acid is actually an anti-inflammatory (soothing for pimples). Aspirin (another anti inflammatory is in the same family as salicylic acid!).

In fact, the newer acne "kits" coming out on the market, such as L'Oreal Acne Defense, Neutrogena and Zap-Zyt, just to name a few, are combining salicylic acid with benzoyl peroxide.

My dermatologist told me that the combination of salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide is the strongest, non-prescription acne fighter on the market. He told me one without the other is not as potent. For example, BP will clear your skin but do nothing to improve the tone or texture, whereas salicylic acid will. But if salicylic acid is used alone, you'll get good exfoliation, but no killing of acne bacteria.

He said the two are synergistic. He sold his own acne kit of BP and SA, but was honest enough to tell me I could find good products anywhere. He just offered it there as a convenience. Wow! What a doctor!

#5 junkeroos

junkeroos

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:15 PM

I believe you can use them separately. SA in the morning and the BP in the evening or vice versa whatever rocks your boat. But I just saw this new product OTC while looking for Neutrogena On-The-Spot at Walgreens. It has both SA and BP in one. I don't remember the name but the BP is only 1% which may be enough since it is combined with SA. I'm also not sure if it's an spot treatment or if you can apply it all over your face.

#6 ozboy

ozboy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE(starzmasta @ Jun 30 2006, 08:33 AM) View Post

I have pretty bad ache on my face. My skin gets oily very fast. Lately I bought some over-the-counter acne treatment. One is a "pore uncloggin scrub" which contains 2% of salicylic acid. Another is the Benzoyl peroxide treatment which has 5%.

Would it be okay if I used both one after another during my daily wash? or Can I use one in the morning and one at night?

would this help with reducing red marks left after the acne?

#7 Helios

Helios

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:11 AM

I use BP and SA together and it works...
Note: It may take some time for your skin to get used to it... smile.gif
*Now on Tetralysal + Differin (pm) + Azelaic acid (am+pm) + SA face wash. It's ok :)
*Took roaccutane march-august 2010. Worked magic, had a great skin for good while (my old log can be found here), started breaking out few months after finishing the course.

#8 Helios

Helios

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(ozboy @ Jul 2 2006, 05:58 AM) View Post

QUOTE(starzmasta @ Jun 30 2006, 08:33 AM) View Post

would this help with reducing red marks left after the acne?

I think that it will help reducing red marks smile.gif But remember one simple rule: don't touch your acne... It's not easy, but you'll see positive effect in a couple of days... biggrin.gif

I wash my face with facial wash, that contains SA and then I apply BP... I use it twice a day, but you should begin using it it once a day ...
*Now on Tetralysal + Differin (pm) + Azelaic acid (am+pm) + SA face wash. It's ok :)
*Took roaccutane march-august 2010. Worked magic, had a great skin for good while (my old log can be found here), started breaking out few months after finishing the course.

#9 tainteddogma0

tainteddogma0

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE(junkeroos @ Jul 1 2006, 04:15 PM) View Post

I believe you can use them separately. SA in the morning and the BP in the evening or vice versa whatever rocks your boat. But I just saw this new product OTC while looking for Neutrogena On-The-Spot at Walgreens. It has both SA and BP in one. I don't remember the name but the BP is only 1% which may be enough since it is combined with SA. I'm also not sure if it's an spot treatment or if you can apply it all over your face.

It was called the Terminator (maybe spelled different) I almost got it instead of On The Spot. Most cleanser have salicylic acid already in them and I use BP... but how much SA is needed for it's benefits???
+Regimen+
Cleansers:
Cetaphil Antibacterial Bar (morn)
pHisoderm Anti-Blemish Gel Facial Wash (night)
Anti-Acne:
Clear Skin Regimen Gel (morn)
Apple Cider Vinegar Toner (night)
Moisturizers:
Clean & Clear Shine Control Moisturizer
Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel
Other:
Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque
28000 Vitamin E Oil

#10 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE(tainteddogma0 @ Jul 2 2006, 05:38 AM) View Post

QUOTE(junkeroos @ Jul 1 2006, 04:15 PM) View Post

It was called the Terminator (maybe spelled different) I almost got it instead of On The Spot. Most cleanser have salicylic acid already in them and I use BP... but how much SA is needed for it's benefits???

I don't think a salicylic face wash will do much for helping acne - the SA doesn't stay on your face long enough for it to really do much. You might try one of the Paula's Choic SA products - they make a 1% SA lotion that's not too drying. Some people also like Neutrogena's Rapid Clear lotion (which is 2% SA, I think).

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#11 junkeroos

junkeroos

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:02 PM

That's right, it's called the Terminator. It has 2% SA and 1% BP.

A wash is used to clean your face. SA or BP washes will do nothing if you take it off in a minute. You're better off using a face wash that is either very gentle (no SLS) or antibacterial or both. If you must use SA with BP (minimum dose), use an SA (1%) toner/astringent, wait for it to dry and then apply BP (2.5%) on top of it.

#12 hippiewallflower

hippiewallflower

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(junkeroos @ Jul 6 2006, 07:02 PM) View Post

That's right, it's called the Terminator. It has 2% SA and 1% BP.

A wash is used to clean your face. SA or BP washes will do nothing if you take it off in a minute. You're better off using a face wash that is either very gentle (no SLS) or antibacterial or both. If you must use SA with BP (minimum dose), use an SA (1%) toner/astringent, wait for it to dry and then apply BP (2.5%) on top of it.

Thats what I have been using, and nothing has cleared my acne and old scars like it. I have tried just about everything out there, including retin a, differn gel, you name it. The only thing that works for me is the bp and sa combo in the acne free terminator. I wash my face, rub the terminator in, let it dry and then put a non clogging lotion on my face. Vast improvement. I even had someone tell me my face looked good! That has not happened in like 5 years!