5 replies to this topic

#1 Jen and Tonic

Jen and Tonic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:55 PM

I've heard some people say that their pores became much less noticable on accutane, and others have had similar experience with Retin-A. I couldn't stand the Retin-A micro long enough to really notice a difference, myself. I was recently prescribed and given some samples of Differin 0.1% gel. I haven't started using it yet because I'm seeing good results with my current regimen and don't want to make things worse, but... I have huge pores on my nose, which gets really oily within 2 hours of washing my face and applying makeup. Then when I blot the oil I'm left with dry skin and even more obvious pores. So if Differin might help with this and help prevent future break outs I think I should try it. The initial breakout is the only thing really stopping me... Does anyone know if regular use of BP might help prevent a really wicked IB?

#2 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing, feline rescue volunteering, music

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:39 PM

I don't know for sure if Differin shrinks pores or not, but I don't think so? As to the initial breakout, BP would probably help, but might not prevent it entirely. Everyone's response to Differin is so varied, its hard to say. I know I broke out terribly (started out with very mild acne), even though I was using topical clindamycin. I gave up on it - my skin just didn't react well to the product.

I have also heard that for some people Differin makes them more oily (which is the opposite of what you'd expect!).

#3 mandyizzy

mandyizzy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:58 PM

I have been using Differin for about three weeks now and can see huge improvement with large pores on my nose and on my cheeks by my nose. Personally I wouldnt use the BP, with the Differin because I would think it would be way too drying. If you want to prevent a IB, you could have your doc prescribe some kind of topical antibiotic. I havent had any IB yet, so good luck to you smile.gif

#4 Jen and Tonic

Jen and Tonic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:44 AM

What I meant about BP preventing the IB is that I have been using it regularly for a while and it seems to have got things mostly under control. So hopefully there is not a massive breakout in the works that Differin would bring out all at once. At least it seems like it would work that way. My intention is to start using Differin tonight, and keep using BP but just in the morning.

Mandyizzy, has Differin made your skin any more oily?

#5 jamesjoyce

jamesjoyce

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:51 AM

I'm on accutane and yes it shrinks all my pores, even the scarred ones.

Understand that accutane dries up oil from inside out. Nothing else does this. Accutane stops oil production so there is no oil in the sebaceous gland. no oil in the lower pore. no oil in the upper pore. even then it takes a couple weeks for the pore to close up and not be all dilated. especially pores on your nose and t-zone. these may remain dilated even after the oil stops for months. they've been stretched open for a long time and need to accomodate over a long period of time.

you actually have to moisturize on accutane to keep the epidermis moist.

blotting, biore strips, exfoliation, creams, etc. more or less work from outside in. as long as you still have oily glands the oil will come right back and so will the pores size. in fact i never noticed a decrease in pores size with anything except swimming in the ocean everyday for a week. that and accutane.

as for acne it also starts from the inside. I never believed this and always tried to not touch my face and use fresh pillowcases everynight, etc. but on accutane there is no oil deep in the pore. this means no bacteria. i touch my face all the time now and sleep on old pillow cases--no zits!

#6 Jen and Tonic

Jen and Tonic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:12 AM

I definitely understand the difference in accutane and topical treatments, but since my most recent derm dangled that carrot in front of me for a couple of months and then yanked it away, I have to look at other options. Some people do see a difference with continuous use of topical retinoids, perhaps not as drastic as with accutane but when your pores are as big as mine any improvement is great!

What concerns me is that my top layer of skin can actually be a bit dry at times, all the oil is underneath, so I don't want to get overdried as that will start me breaking out again. This is probabaly why Retin-A didn't help me much. Since Differin is milder I'm hoping to finally find the right balance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users