glycolic acid peel for cystic acne?

5 replies to this topic

#1 katieuk

katieuk

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:03 AM

howdi,would it be ok to use a glycolic peel while still having active acne? would it possibly make it worse?or improve it? has any one on here had it? thankyou!**

#2 Wasabi

Wasabi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:05 PM

I used to get a glycolic peel + sulfur mask from my derm every two weeks and she specifically said that it was ok when I have active/popped acne. In fact, she has done some extraction just before. (20% glycolic)

I just tried a 50% glycolic peel from ebay myself as I plan to visit the derm only once a month and I have just a few active acne and it is going well so far (just neutralized it not 30 minutes ago)

#3 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing, feline rescue volunteering, music

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

Peels can help with clearing acne - they should be fine for you to do. Just make sure you go to a qualified professional (or are you planning to do these yourself?)

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#4 DMBsDreamGrl

DMBsDreamGrl

*Dana*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me
  • Interests:Pilates,working out,Nutrition & Health,running,reading,playing sports,drawing & spending time with my Nephew/Godson & Friends.

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:22 PM

I got mine off of Ebay also & did this myself , it cleared up my acne alot!
Posted Image

#5 emperornext

emperornext

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

what kind of glycolic peel did you do?
regimen: still working on this...

Guy With Acne Scars, What Do You Say?

#6 Researcher

Researcher

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE(katieuk @ Jun 26 2006, 08:03 AM) View Post
howdi,would it be ok to use a glycolic peel while still having active acne? would it possibly make it worse?or improve it? has any one on here had it? thankyou!**

Glycolic acid works by disolving the cellular glue which holds cells together. In addition it works in water (meaning that it is hydrolitic). Basically what this means it that it works mostly on the surface of the skin which is good in that it breaks down the hold that retained cells (which should have fallen away) loosen and fall. This helps other medications to penetrate. However, it doesn't have any direct effect on cycts.

Although the use of glycolic acid will not affect an existing cyst since it can't reach it, it could have an effect on follicles which are already predisposed to develop into inflammed lesions by causing irritation. This irritation causes a responce from the skin which results in the cell growth increasing which can increase cell retention in the follicle which results in increased pressure on the wall which increases the possibity of the wall rupturing and becoming another cyst. So the aim of using glycolic should be just enough to affect the the cells on the surface without causing too much irritation. Glycolics are a good tool for removing the cellular Cap which covers the skin (follicle opening (pores) do not close up. Thay are covered up by this cap)

Once the cap is affected and products can penetrate better, I would suggest Salicylic Acid. SA is lipolytic which means that it works best inside the follicle actually disolving cells which are impacting the follicle and causing the problem.

Cysts, again, are different. They have no direct access to the follicle so these types of ingredients do not directly affect it. The only treatment that I know of right now are oral antibiotics to affect the infection and injections to reduce the inflammation. That is not to say that there isn't an answer, but, unfortunately the answer is in prevention of the impaction to start with.

Hope this helps

Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users