Photo

Low Dose Accutane

candida steroid rosacea retinoids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
153 replies to this topic

#41 HeatherD

HeatherD

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(Lunaire @ Jul 1 2006, 11:23 PM) View Post

Also, after ceasing the treatment, my acne came back, beginning about a year ago, and was worse than ever. Keep this in mind if you're in a similar situation I was.

I can't tell if you're a girl or not... sorry! I just know that you shouldn't be taking any kind of dose of accutane if there's the slightest chance you could get pregnant. "25% of children born to women who were using Accutane while pregnant have birth defects that include brain and nervous system damage."

#42 ruti

ruti

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:04 AM

I showed my doc the article and he said "Yes, people are doing low-dose but there's no end game, you're never finished." At least that's what he thinks. eusa_think.gif

Do you still have to do the iPledge thing on low-dose? I should think so.

#43 DanMan1

DanMan1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:13 PM

i started low-dose about 4 days ago, 10 mg a day... sailing smooth.

#44 Agoraphobia

Agoraphobia

got my sensi mind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 23
About Me

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:38 PM

im on predisone twice daily and 10mg accutane every other day

#45 sharker313

sharker313

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:50 PM

eusa_wall.gif You would be the dumbest girl on earth if you took accutane while having a human life being grown in your stomach. jjjjjjeeeeezzzzz oh pizzas eusa_wall.gif

#46 MoeMentum

MoeMentum

Operation: Superskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(ruti @ Sep 24 2006, 05:04 AM) View Post

I showed my doc the article and he said "Yes, people are doing low-dose but there's no end game, you're never finished." At least that's what he thinks. eusa_think.gif

Perhaps next time mention that their has been documented permanent remision of up to 60% with treatments as low as 10mg.

Maybe mention that his ignorance isn't in your best interest.

#47 Bob20

Bob20

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

What is ipledge? I hear alot of people say that

#48 AlexS

AlexS

BrownEyePusher

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:40 PM

I just started my low dose treatment today took about 7 MG today. Its kind of hard to dose to an exact MG because it is a liquid. 20mg per ML

wish me luck

#49 hacienda

hacienda

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:43 AM

hi

I have very oily skin and moderate acne. in the past I asked a doctor if he gives me accutane which he refused. my acne was too moderate... what can i do to get it? (i'm from germany).
a few years ago i got it and it were wonderful months without oily skin and any acne, but all came back after the therapie. i think the reason of my acne is my oily skin and i can't "fight" it with bpo.

#50 Superman 5000

Superman 5000

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:01 AM

Hi all..

Ive taken 20mg/day for 6 months 10.2005-4.2006 and 10mg/day 3.2007-7.2007 (3 months 10mg per day)
im gettin it again now, on my body and small ones on my face, so im considering of starting another round...do you think enough time has passed from the last round, about 3 months now, so i could start again?

male, 73 kg, 23

#51 .pink.barbie.

.pink.barbie.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

Hey!
I'm currently on a low dose treatment and have been for the past 2 months! I started a normal 5 month accutane course, taking one 40 mg pill a day. After my 5 months, my doctor told me to take one 40 mg pill a week for 6 months to maintain results smile.gif Let me know if you have any questions!

#52 Da Real BucK

Da Real BucK

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2007 - 02:34 AM

what low dose is safe to do without blood monitoring? anyone here doing it without blood tests? send me a pm

#53 Macossay

Macossay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:39 PM

I did my first two trials with Accutane about 20 years ago. Doctors would not prescribe it for my moderate acne -- "only for severe cystic acne", they said. No mail order pharmacies back then. I bought it in powder form from a chemical supply company that sold it as a dye for tunable dye lasers. Compounded it myself with vegetable oil. No alcohol, no tanning.
Did the first treatment for four months at 35mg per day -- the minimum dose recommended by the Physician Desk Reference. It worked great, but the drying was severe -- great patches of skin peeling off my face. In four months, however, I had skin like a baby. Alas, the acne came started coming back nearly as soon as I stopped treatment.
I tried again at 70mg per day. This time I moisturized my face with aloe vera gel, which took care of the peeling. The higher dose didn't work any better or any faster, but it did last longer. Still, the acne came back after a couple of years. After that I didn't want to try it again because it dried out my eyes too much to wear soft contact lenses. In retrospect, I should have stuck it out to get a higher cumulative dose, but 4 months is what the PDR was saying back then.

Anyway, I started a month ago with 5mg per day. Although it is available in 5mg capsules, the 10 mg capsules are the most economical, so I'm taking a single 10 mg capsule every second day. And it's working just as well and just as quickly as the higher doses. Accutane has a short half life, so I suppose a daily dose might be better, but since this is working fine I see no reason to bother with the extra hassle and expense. I plan to continue taking it until I reach a cumulative dose of 150mg/kg.

Side affects have been minimal. When you start on Accutane, the existing lesions become irritated and inflamed. Lesions that were buried and unnoticeable now become visible, so the acne APPEARs to temporarily worsen, but it really doesn't. This affect faded away after three weeks. No problem with contact lenses at this dose. No peeling. Slight dryness, controlled with Dove soap. Existing lesions did take longer to heal.

A word about the Dove soap. Skin is slightly acidic. Nearly all soaps are alkaline. When you wash your face with an alkaline soap, your skin produces extra sebum to restore the acid balance. So you might want to try a ph neutral soap. Dove is the only mass market soap I've been able to find that is pH neutral. Plus it already contains a moisturizer, saving the hassle of applying one separately. (Neutragena, despite the name, is no longer pH neutral. There are liquid cleaners that are pH neutral and even pH balanced to match skin acidity, but they are really detergents, not soaps, and detergents are drying in themselves.)

#54 guitarman43

guitarman43

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

I would think anything under 20 mg wouldn't do anything. My derm's got me started at 40mg.

#55 Macossay

Macossay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:04 PM

I'll post a progress report at the end of the month.

#56 phatkid

phatkid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:55 PM

well, since ive done 3 full courses, the last one was a total of 19000 mg i think... 100mg/day for like 6 or 7 months////

i self treated with 40mg mon-wed-frid and was very happy... going to DERM tomorrow and hope she agrees to do the same for life or whatever!!!, OR i even want to start 20mg 3x week....

30yr old, acne SUCKS....

phats

#57 Tasha90

Tasha90

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:30 PM

What are the various dosages that Accutane comes in, I mean like per pill...Are there 5 mg, pills, 10, 20, 40?

#58 niggety

niggety

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(AsSpottedAsADalmation @ Nov 19 2007, 12:30 AM) View Post
What are the various dosages that Accutane comes in, I mean like per pill...Are there 5 mg, pills, 10, 20, 40?

I guess the dosage is 10 and 20 milligram pills.

#59 Macossay

Macossay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE(AsSpottedAsADalmation @ Nov 18 2007, 04:30 PM) View Post

There are 5, 10, and 20 mg pills, although the 5mg are hard to find.

#60 Macossay

Macossay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:21 AM

5mg/day Accutane 60 Day Progress Report

I'm continuing with an average 5mg per day dosage -- one 10mg pill every second day. (0.07mg/kg body weight) I wash my face twice a day with lukewarm water and Dove soap. In the morning I apply aloe-vera gel as a moisturizer.

Results are good. I have not had a new pimple since November 20th. All my existing lesions are now healed over, leaving only small circles of new pink skin. Comedones are no longer forming on my forehead and chin. I'm still getting them on my nose and cheeks, but they are smaller.

Side affects: Slight dryness to my facial skin and lips. Existing lesions took a long time to heal -- the worst one took 6 weeks -- although they all healed eventually. I've read this is because Accutane decreases blood flow to the face. I believe it, as shaving nicks hardly bleed at all.

My hair became dry enough that I started using a conditioner.