Biggest Mistakes People Make to Treat Acne:

997 posts in this topic

I personally think one of the biggest mistakes is not going to a dermatologist first. Cosmetologists will treat the result and not address the cause. If you have serious acne, derm should be your first consideration.

Searching for perfect skin rainbow.png

This is really a helpful thread, one of the best on this forum!!! Thanks for all info!! :)

I need help with something that i believe many of you suffer from; excessive oil!

I already use retin-A and BP, but i need a mattifying moisturizer for daytime use while on work...

My skin gets oily within ONE heure!

So, is there any mattifying moisturizer that does not contain silicones as the main ingredient (I usually breakout if there's a lot of silicone)?

Thanks! :D

Where did the OP get her sources for "common skin irritants" and things to avoid?

I'm not doubting the validity of her claims, but having references would mean everything was legitimate. Otherwise it's just passed on by word of mouth and useless anecdote.

hello!

i use saslic.as prescribed by my dermatologist.

its salicylic acid foaming face wash(1%).

twice a day.its pretty good according to me.

now,it is suppose to maintain a ph of 5.5

so that should be good right?

i know that the effectiveness decreases(as they say!) but still it seems to work.

aana

Itchy red raised skin - dermatitis??

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

inflamed whiteheads & clogged pores

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)

QUOTE(Zief @ Jun 22 2006, 10:24 PM)

wow Snow Queen this is a great post with some really good information! Keep up the excellent work, and thanks for all your time and effort.

Thanks! I know there are a lot of misconceptions out there about what products are good for the skin (and specifically acne), so I was hoping to clear some of that up.

Was that an acne pun? (Clear some of that up?) Because har. :)

Where did the OP get her sources for "common skin irritants" and things to avoid?

I'm not doubting the validity of her claims, but having references would mean everything was legitimate. Otherwise it's just passed on by word of mouth and useless anecdote.

I disagree with the alcohol bit. See: http://www.futurederm.com/2012/09/06/why-alcohol-in-skin-care-is-safe-despite-what-paula-begoun-says/

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm new here and I'd like to add my two cents.

First off, the original poster lists a lot of information based on sound research, but it really should be taken with a grain of salt. Lots of don'ts, very little do's. Heck, she might as well have said, "don't use everything."

I have suffered with acne (moderate to slightly severe for over 30 years. I'm 45 and still battling it). I'd like to think I'm an expert, seeing the tens of thousands of dollars I spent over the years fighting this losing battle (tens of thousands is indeed a correct figure). I should have been a dermatologist, but who would trust a dermatologist with acne?

Anyway, my decades of research, trying everything on the market, fad or not (I was perscribed accutane but resisted it due to side effects) have yielded one conclusion: There is no right answer or no wrong answer. Every individual's skin is different. Some respond quite well to salicylic acid, I break out in hives. Some find astrigent irritating, I use SeaBreeze for sensitive skin with great results.

Acne is steeped in genetics. For some like me, it may never ever go away. The best you can hope for is to manage it--keep it under control.

I'd like to add to the original poster's "don't" list:

DON'T be afraid to try any regimen or product or vitamin therapy, etc. It just might work for you.

I know this is an old response, but I agree with you. There is too much ingredient obsession on these boards. Skin care is so very trial and error. I disagree with her rant against alcohol too.

Thanks a lot for the useful and important information.

I am one of those who have been trying to deal with the dilemma of finding a gentle cleanser that does not contain any of those irritating or pore-clogging ingredients listed on some websites but unfortunately my attempts over many years have failed.

I am still to find a single gentle, non-medicated cleanser for my combination yet sensitive skin that I can use without worrying.

I have a had a quick look at some of the ingredients in some of the cleansers you have listed and even those do not conform to the criteria!

• Purpose gentle wash (which I have bought and used a few times) contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Fragrance.
  • Eucerin Baby Aquaphor Gentle Wash contains Sodium Chloride.
  • Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate.
  • Even the two Paula's choice cleansers that I checked has at least one offending ingredient:

* Skin Balancing Oil-Reducing Cleanser has Sodium Chloride.

* Hydralight One Step Face Cleanser has Sodium Laureth Sulfate.

I wish there was some regulating agency to verify the claims those manufactures put on their packaging or make it very clear which ingredients are fine to include so as to put confused people like me out of their misery!

If you're still looking, CeraVe cleanser is really good. So is Olay foaming face wash for sensitive skin.

1 person likes this

Summer Routine
AM

CeraVe Hydrating Bar

Paula's Choice 8% AHA Gel

Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion everywhere but forehead

Vaseline everywhere but forehead  (can't emphasize enough)

BP 2.5% 

L'areal True Match Lumi W6/ mix with Pro-Glow in 209 if need darker color 

PM
Garnier Micellar Water on a cotton pad for eye makeup,
Simple Micellar for foundation

CeraVe Hydrating Bar 

Paula's Choice 8% AHA and 2% BHA

Wait 15 min 

Shark sauce on lower face

Pop white heads with popping utensil if needed. Leave popped pimple alone

Quite an exhaustive list. Thanks for taking the time to compose this! I am gonna have a hard time finding a product that embodies this list

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules*

Edited by AyeAye
1 person likes this

What exactly is wrong with a cream moisturizer if it has the proper ingredients? And since my salicylic acid wash may be too acidic, can I dilute it with water to balance the pH out?

I have acne for 5 months now. I have tried several products but they weren't effective and what's worse is that one of them gave me an allergy attack. I read this article and i learned a lot. I will try to follow them. Thanks a bunch for sharing the info!

Natural beauty is the best

Yeah I'm kind of in agreement with you on this one. Especially since some of the OP's advice is contradictory. Like the part where she says don't assume a higher concentration of an ingredient will be more effective, then in another section she says that any product containing less than 5% tea tree oil will be ineffective... and like someone else pointed out some of her own product recommendations go against her own advice. I was in agreement with some of her advice, but I think for the most part take this with a grain of salt.

Also just because something is a "common skin irritant" doesn't mean that it's inherently bad for your skin. Everyone's skin reacts differently and I bet not everything listed actually irritates everyone's skin equally. That would be like saying since peanuts are a common allergen that eating them is effectively destroying your insides even if you don't have a physical reaction to it.

Bottom line: everyone is different. Everyone reacts to things differently, so skincare is unfortunately mostly trial and error. Trust the advice of dermatologists and medical professionals, and don't take "research" that you find online so literally (you can find "research" on the internet to support pretty much any claim you want).

Thanks for the list, but trying to consider all the options together at once and finding the "right" product with regards to this list would be like trying to walk through a forest without stepping on a single insect.

Thank you This is great topic

Thank you , Thank you again

Not gonna trawl through all 49 pages but "9. Don't apply your moisturizer over areas of your face that are not dry. Applying moisturizer where it is not needed can increase the risk of clogged pores by mixing with excess sebum and "gluing" dead skin cells to the skin's surface." is a pretty bad tip; if you don't moisturise oily skin it'll continue to be excessively oily because it isn't hydrated.

1 person likes this

The trick to all of this is to know your skin and know ingredients. You should be able to formulate your "perfect" product as if you were going to make it (like what Dan did) and then go out and find a product that is closest. With as many stores and online stores selling products, you can find pretty much any formulation. There is even an online store where you can purchase glycerin and lotion bases so that you can buy the ingredients you want and then mix your own.

The best advice I saw in the original post was to NOT go off of the claims on the packaging. I don't care how "gentle, mild, non-comedegenic, or non-drying" the packaging says. Many times the ingredients will not hold up to its claims. They make their money off of ignorance and people who do not do their research. Many of the Eucerin, Clinique, and Purpose cleansers have ingredients similar to shampoo - so stop wasting your money and you might as well use your shampoo to wash your face. My hubby does it with no issues. If you're sensitive to fragrance I wouldn't use shampoo, but otherwise seriously, there are quite a few similarities. Paula's Choice is little different, even including one of my skin's favorites, Sunflower Oil :) Even though it is kinda far down the list. In my cleanser it is the second ingredient and I chose that cleanser bc of its ingredients, not because of what the package says.

There are many essential oils that are beneficial to skin if you do your research, even eucalyptus oil. I use tea tree oil. I also use witch hazel (a little diluted) and it works great for me. All of these were on the original post's irritant list.

Resources I use to research products:

Reviews (especially makeup alley)

EWG Skin Deep's database of ingredients

Google

YouTube reviews where you actually get to SEE the results of products being reviewed

Yes, this takes a lot of trial and error but do not just mindlessly try products according to advertising. Start reading all ingredients and keeping track of what works and what doesn't. You will probably start noticing a pattern. I would spend 20 minutes in the skin care isle just looking up ingredients on my phone. It wasn't until I started doing this when my skin finally started to get clear. I also realized that nothing in the drug store isle was even close to a formula I wanted to put on my skin. I do love Burt's Bees though, and they have conveniently expanded to big retailers like Target and Walmart.

Edited by tex67sun

Mild/Moderate all-over acne from adolescence into adulthood.

Currently: CLEAR! At least 99% most of the time since using more natural and non-irritating products.

I may get a couple pimples/tiny whiteheads every now and then but I can deal with that from where I've been. i finally have clear days!

Currently combating red marks, overall facial redness, and damage possibly from all of the acne products I have tried.

I have tried: tons of SA and commercial face washes, tons of more natural face washes and topicals, BP, ProActive, Differin, Benzaclin, Oil Cleansing Method

Burt's Bees Sensitive Cleanser (PM only)

Brightening Toner - water, witch hazel, lemon juice, grapeseed/sunflower oils, tea tree oil (I buy ingredients and mix myself)

Desert Essence Daily Essential Facial Moisturizer

Dang that is totally a lot to read! Plus going to be hard for me to pick the right regimen to clear up my acne :(

No one's perfect and everyone can't always be handsome or beautiful. Be proud for who you are. :)

The biggest mistakes people make according to make experience:

1. using scrubs which make bacteria and inflammation travel across the face

2. using unfiltered water tap water

3. using toothpaste with fluoride

4. not staying away from sun and not using sunscreen

5. finally thinking that lotion, cream will provide miracle cure...

My acne stays away only when I am on proper diet, take supplements and use good regime.

I share my story here *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules*

There's a way to control it. The only long lasting way that has no side effects and will benefit not just your skin but your brain and body is a natural approach. In the form of diet, natural topical cleansers (straight from nature), sun, pure water, exercise, and less toxicity going into the body.

I dunno, some of the things listed may not aggravate certain peoples skin

1 person likes this

My biggest mistake was not cleaning my skin enough. Now it's really oily on my nose, chin, and forehead and really dry on other places of my face.

Can I have some tips?