Photo

proactiv is making me break out like crazy!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 erinadelaide

erinadelaide

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:58 AM

Has anyone else started proactiv only to find that it makes their skin worse!? I have been using it three or four days, I was on a bit of a clear kick when I started it, then BAM I wake up to zits everywhere. I am sure it's from the proactiv because these are zits in places I never get them.

Is there a period of time I need to get worse before it starts to improve? Or is this just not working for me?

I'd appreciate any feedback!

Thanks smile.gif

#2 MichelleMG

MichelleMG

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(erinadelaide @ Jun 22 2006, 12:58 PM) View Post

Has anyone else started proactiv only to find that it makes their skin worse!? I have been using it three or four days, I was on a bit of a clear kick when I started it, then BAM I wake up to zits everywhere. I am sure it's from the proactiv because these are zits in places I never get them.

Is there a period of time I need to get worse before it starts to improve? Or is this just not working for me?

I'd appreciate any feedback!

Thanks smile.gif

Usually with any new skin care products, it is normal to break out before getting better. Your face is responding to the ingrediants and "purging." It sucks but it can be normal. If you continue to break out for a while, I would stop using it. Proactiv worked for me for a while and then just stopped working. I wasnt seeing great results anymore. That is what the money back guarentee is for!

#3 laura0223

laura0223

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:22 PM

You skin might be too dry and it's causing it to break out... When is to dry your skin worst extra hard to produce more oil and the oil claugh up your pores... Try to use a smaller amount of the cleanser and the repairing lotions..

Proativ worked for me for about 3 months, I stopped using it and my acne got worst, I started again and now it doesnt work.. So, if it works, DONT STOP!

#4 erinadelaide

erinadelaide

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:33 PM

thanks for the feedback!

it's strange, i expected my skin to get really dry with this because i used murad before and pretty much chemically burned my skin. yuck. i'm actually finding proactiv to be fine in the moisture department, i am using murad's skin perfecting lotion as a moisturizer sometimes, it's just oil-free with no chemicals or acne treatments in it.

how long does the purging last? did either of you have it?

so if i hold out for the long haul, this might be worth it? i'd like that. smile.gif

#5 tummysticks

tummysticks

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:22 PM

Same thing happened to me. Proactiv was working for my teen years -- got clear and stopped. I was clear for a couple of years then it all came back so I hopped back on Proactiv and broke out like crazy so I stopped.

Recently, Dan's regimen broke me out too -- this time I'm going to stick with it and see how it goes. I think you should stick with it for about a two weeks and if there is no improvement around then you should probably stop. However, most people on here will give you crap about Proactiv, just because its Proactiv.

#6 erinadelaide

erinadelaide

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

oh really? I didn't realize this was a proactiv-free zone. wink.gif

actually i just found this site by searching for proactiv reviews through google.

what a great site though. it's great to have such encouraging people offering eachother help. i really appreciate having found it.

thanks!

#7 zelio78

zelio78

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:25 PM

I was clear for over a year with proactiv and then I got lazy and thought that I didn't need to stick to a regimen any longer and I paid for it. I suggest sticking with it. I didn't see results until about two weeks into it and even then I had new breakouts. It honestly took 3 months before I was clear and for some it may take even longer. Bottomline the purging is normal.

#8 Cocopj

Cocopj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:32 PM

Proactive didn't help me. It just caused my face to become very dry, and tight. I had to return it. Try Eurocin Gel. This is what I found working on my acne.

#9 pc101

pc101

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:01 PM

Proactive made me break out like crazy. I started getting more acne because of it. Like an idiot, I thought that it would subside after an initial breakout and continued to use it. If it is making you break out than my advice would be to stop immediately before the acne turns into scars.

#10 XC60

XC60

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:15 PM

Whatever you do, don't put those chemicals on your skin...not good eusa_naughty.gif

#11 AllAboutTheTane

AllAboutTheTane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:21 PM

I hate proactive. Please, people who are thinking about using that stuff stop while you have the chance. Even if it works at first it won't work forever. It's GARBAGE!

#12 zelio78

zelio78

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:34 PM

I've been using it off and on for 4 years and it still works for me.

#13 cflow

cflow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:50 PM

The benzoyl peroxide in the final moisturizer seems like the only key to the ingredients; mainly the fact that you use it ALL over your face as opposed to a spot treatment. the face wash didn't seem to help at all. it has a lot of chemicals. Plus, benzoyl peroxide is supposed to absorb into your skin--- why have it in the face wash too? It worked for a few months, but I still had to use an additional moisturizer afterwards, and eventually added other products like sulfur and salicylic acid.

#14 CoCoNYC

CoCoNYC

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:47 PM

That free sulfur mask thing broke me out in tiny bumps. Proactiv just has too much going on chemical wise, I stopped using it except for the cleanser, I'll use that as an exfoliator a couple times a month because it's grainy.

#15 Gazbo

Gazbo

Photographer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:37 PM

I tried Proactiv and had similar results. That ad should be illegal, it's false advertising to the extreme. I know a couple other people who used it, and had no results at all. I also tried this other product, the name escapes me currently, which was like Proactive, and it didn't even work. I spent 3 months on that thing and close to $250 in products. What a rip off...

And I'm still suffering acne now. cry.gif

#16 Kev07

Kev07

And today was a day just like any other...

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(Gazbo @ Jul 6 2006, 08:37 PM) View Post

I tried Proactiv and had similar results. That ad should be illegal, it's false advertising to the extreme. I know a couple other people who used it, and had no results at all. I also tried this other product, the name escapes me currently, which was like Proactive, and it didn't even work. I spent 3 months on that thing and close to $250 in products. What a rip off...

And I'm still suffering acne now. cry.gif

proactiv is shit.

#17 Carys

Carys

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:07 AM

Ok, first of all, I don't agree that every product for acne use automatcally requires one to go through an IB before seeing results. BP is supposed to kill bacteria by presenting oxygen into the environment where the bacteria live, thereby killing it instantly. It doesn't cause purging or anything similar, so there should not be an initial breakout. In fact, when I used ProActiv the first time, within a matter of days I was completely clear. No IB or anything like that! It stayed useful to me for about two years, then it lost all effectiveness and I started on Retin-A. That gave me an IB for sure, but I was expecting it that time. Foolishly, I stopped the Retin-A and went back on ProActiv, only to have worse acne and no repreive at all. Wisely, I quit the ProActiv and got straight back on to the Retin-A. WHile I had to suffer through another IB, it was milder and much shorter in duration. Eventually, I wound up on Accutane, but as my acne is most definitely hormonal, the fact that I'm clear at the moment doesn't mean much to me. I'm pretty much convinced that at some point in the future, the acne will be back, and I'll be forced to throw the mother of all fits to be finally put on a hormonal drug (spiro) to control it for good.

Anyway, the point is BP shouldn't be causing breakouts. If it is, then it's not working. Move on, and find something else. OH, and make sure you get your $$$ back!

#18 kodakmoment

kodakmoment

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:55 AM

i dunno, but i've been using proactive for a while now and it's doing me wonders. it keeps my skin really soft and smooth

#19 rickie

rickie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:24 PM

My skin looked terrible with Proactiv. I used it for months, waiting for it to work. My face did not get clean with that cleanser. When I used the toner there was so much dirt on the cotton ball because my face was still so dirty after I washed it.

#20 Blackanese

Blackanese

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:36 PM

I hated using Proactiv. It did nothing but make my skin really oily and I got the biggest pimples. I think it does not work for everybody for sure.