Photo

accutane alternatives?

cyst

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 katieuk

katieuk

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:41 AM

im due to go back to see my n.h.s dermatologist on monday,and im going to tell her that after doing loads of research ,i have decided against accutane..
last time i was there,she virtually told me that there was nothing else left to offer apart from accutane.
i have tried loads of topicals and antibiotics,all with very short term effects.
Can anyone give me advice on an alternative to accutane...i have heard of topical accutane,has anyone tried this?
i have cystic acne with scarring.thankyou*

#2 carcass

carcass

swarming vulgar mass of infected virulency

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:58 AM

i don't know of any alternatives when you've not been responsive to the ani-biotics etc.
whats your reasoning against accutane? personally, i think the benefits outweigh the problems. anyone on this board that i'd consider credible and has tried accutane recommends it. granted its a lot more of an inconvenience for women as you get put on birth control etc, but i think you should just try it and quit worrying!

#3 easy step

easy step

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(katieuk @ Jun 20 2006, 04:41 AM) View Post

im due to go back to see my n.h.s dermatologist on monday,and im going to tell her that after doing loads of research ,i have decided against accutane..
last time i was there,she virtually told me that there was nothing else left to offer apart from accutane.
i have tried loads of topicals and antibiotics,all with very short term effects.
Can anyone give me advice on an alternative to accutane...i have heard of topical accutane,has anyone tried this?

Topical accutane is retin-A, and it wont work as good as oral accutane, and the initial outbreak lasts longer according to what I heard. There's an online hype about Vitamin B5(Pantothenic Acid) where you take 10g a day. While accutane shrinks the oil glands of your skin cells, B5 drastically reduces the oil production and shrinks your pores there by getting rid of your acne. Alot of people on the board has mixed results, but people with severe cystic acne get cured on this after being unsucessful with antibiotics and accutane. Im also on B5, an so far Im seeing positive results. Might be worth a try. In my light you seem very attractive and shouldnt be worried too much about acne. As for me, if B5 doesnt work im going on accutane. good luck! smile.gif

#4 JBHK

JBHK

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:19 AM

Have you tried birth control pills like dianette? I found that helpful for a number of years, although when I came off them I found my acne seemed to be alot worse. Also, I would second what someone said earlier about Accutane. I started it about 8 or 9 weeks ago after years of being scared away from taking it so far it has worked wonders with little in the way of side effects. Don't forget, if you decide to give it a try and you cant tolerate the side effects you can just come off it.

#5 Eloise

Eloise

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:05 PM

Maybe you should consider hormone therapy. Google Geoffrey Redmond

#6 XC60

XC60

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:10 PM

I've been on 3 different courses of Accutane in my life, and so far the most successful has been the generic-ass antibiotic Septra/Bactrim...believe it or not! The results have been much better!

#7 energizer

energizer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:53 AM

I dont think there is an alternative

#8 ronaldo

ronaldo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(easy step @ Jun 20 2006, 06:33 PM) View Post

QUOTE(katieuk @ Jun 20 2006, 04:41 AM) View Post

Topical accutane is retin-A, and it wont work as good as oral accutane, and the initial outbreak lasts longer according to what I heard. There's an online hype about Vitamin B5(Pantothenic Acid) where you take 10g a day. While accutane shrinks the oil glands of your skin cells, B5 drastically reduces the oil production and shrinks your pores there by getting rid of your acne. Alot of people on the board has mixed results, but people with severe cystic acne get cured on this after being unsucessful with antibiotics and accutane. Im also on B5, an so far Im seeing positive results. Might be worth a try. In my light you seem very attractive and shouldnt be worried too much about acne. As for me, if B5 doesnt work im going on accutane. good luck! smile.gif

10mg of vitamin b5? ive just been looking and all i can find is 200mg pantothenic acid (b5) tablets. Would that be too much?

#9 bennyk

bennyk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:02 PM

Unless your acne is absolutely terrible (more than 50% of your face is scarred/red) do not go on accutane. I went on accutane when I thought I had terrible acne, and it induced acne fulminans and now I am stuck with terrible blackish/purple scarring for the rest of my life and my acne is much much worse and uncured. You going on accutane would be a terrible decision, you don't even look like you have acne. I wish I had never gone on accutane.

#10 Maryam

Maryam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:19 PM

Accutane is wonderful, especially if you have very oily skin. I agree with most of the people on this board. The benefits outweight the negatives. I was very scared to go on it at first too, but I think it's one of the best decisions I made in my life. BennyK: I'm sorry accutane did not work for you, but it does wonders for other people. I wish I had taken it sooner to prevent scarring. I've done tons of research and there doesn't seem to be an alternative to accutane. The vitamin B5 treatment seems a bit drastic to me. 10g just seems like way too much. If you're acne is hormonal, you can try either birth control pills or antiandrogens. I'm taking spironolactone (an antiandrogen) right now. But overall, nothing compares to accutane.

#11 HadOne

HadOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

I strongly second bennyk. The exact same thing happened to me - acne fulminans. Although this side effect does not typically effect women, Accutane's many side effects are real and not worth the risk if your acne is not SEVERE. Judging from the pictures you don't fit the bill.

My doctor recommended 50,000 IUs of Vitamin A tablets per day as an alternative to low dose Accutane, but there are large risks associated with this methodolgy as well. I tried this and it actually inflammed my acne. Stay Accutane-free.

#12 katieuk

katieuk

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:46 PM

thankyou for all your replies and suggestions,i think its great that this place exists,as you feel you are getting a totally honest opinions,instead of your g.ps favourite prescription.I have decided not to go for accutane,for various reasons,although i wouldnt ever,critisise anyone else,for taking it..whatever works for you....have started taking the vitamin b5,and using silicol skin every night,and carrying on with the ertythromicin,which seems to keep the big humdinga cysts at bay! ! ...thanks again***

#13 DBOHL

DBOHL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

B5 and Acuzine. I heard b5 has worked for many people. I have never tried it. I went to google and typed in alternative of accutane and after some research I found acuzine. The were many mixed reviews for it. Some said it worked wonders and others said it didnt do much. I bought the 6 month supply because they have a 6 month money back GUARANTEE! I have been using it for a week and a half and I havent had any problems.

#14 fut

fut

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:24 PM

There are what are called topical retinoids, fi you have not tried them yet. This would include Retina A, Differin, etc.

#15 bats88

bats88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:31 PM

Please don't listen to anyone saying "don't go on accutane." It's the only thing that really works. I'm telling you, if the acne is persistant and stubborn enough, a course of accutane will be inevitable. If you want clear skin. Once you are on it, you laugh at all the hype. the only side effect is that it dries out your lips!!

#16 pimplypear

pimplypear

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:47 PM

Accutane is the only thing that will clear up your skin dear. Don't let all the crap on the internet scare you away. It will increase your quality of life. DO IT!

#17 dadoody

dadoody

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE(katieuk @ Jun 20 2006, 05:41 AM) View Post

I started in another thread, but I'll post here too: Photodynamic Therapy. It's as effective as accutane without the full body side effects.

Look it up. A cosmetic surgeon had to do it for me in Rolling Hills Estate, but it wasn't too expensive. $350 per treatment

#18 samCA

samCA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:55 PM

acuzine i think might be a a better alternative w/less side effects

#19 Timmy008

Timmy008

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:12 PM

To quote my dermatologist:

"accutane is the only definite 'cure' as such for acne. All other medications simply 'control' the symptoms but will not altogether prevent the symptoms"

However, after I told him that accutane made me depressed and zombie-like after just two days, he prescribed me to "minomycin" (aka minocycline") which is an antibiotic with almost no side effects that can be taken for long term (years) without damage. Has improved my acne, but not got rid of it. I also use differin gel, and Im trying this new one called Zorac. Basically that is the best I can do due to my accutane intolerance.

Tim, Sydney Australia

#20 katieuk

katieuk

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE(Timmy008 @ Jul 8 2006, 08:12 PM) View Post

To quote my dermatologist:

"accutane is the only definite 'cure' as such for acne. All other medications simply 'control' the symptoms but will not altogether prevent the symptoms"

However, after I told him that accutane made me depressed and zombie-like after just two days, he prescribed me to "minomycin" (aka minocycline") which is an antibiotic with almost no side effects that can be taken for long term (years) without damage. Has improved my acne, but not got rid of it. I also use differin gel, and Im trying this new one called Zorac. Basically that is the best I can do due to my accutane intolerance.

Tim, Sydney Australia

hi Tim,i did go on minocycline for 6 months ,with no improvement..what i did get was alot of hyperpigmentation.it looked like blue bruises on my face and legs(attractive) which took 6 months to go after i had stopped taking it..be aware of this (supposedly) rare sideffect.i have heard from others that this ,worked really well for them tho..everyone is different. cool.gif biggrin.gif