Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

katieuk

accutane alternatives?

39 posts in this topic

im due to go back to see my n.h.s dermatologist on monday,and im going to tell her that after doing loads of research ,i have decided against accutane..

last time i was there,she virtually told me that there was nothing else left to offer apart from accutane.

i have tried loads of topicals and antibiotics,all with very short term effects.

Can anyone give me advice on an alternative to accutane...i have heard of topical accutane,has anyone tried this?

i have cystic acne with scarring.thankyou*

i don't know of any alternatives when you've not been responsive to the ani-biotics etc.

whats your reasoning against accutane? personally, i think the benefits outweigh the problems. anyone on this board that i'd consider credible and has tried accutane recommends it. granted its a lot more of an inconvenience for women as you get put on birth control etc, but i think you should just try it and quit worrying!

im due to go back to see my n.h.s dermatologist on monday,and im going to tell her that after doing loads of research ,i have decided against accutane..

last time i was there,she virtually told me that there was nothing else left to offer apart from accutane.

i have tried loads of topicals and antibiotics,all with very short term effects.

Can anyone give me advice on an alternative to accutane...i have heard of topical accutane,has anyone tried this?

Topical accutane is retin-A, and it wont work as good as oral accutane, and the initial outbreak lasts longer according to what I heard. There's an online hype about Vitamin B5(Pantothenic Acid) where you take 10g a day. While accutane shrinks the oil glands of your skin cells, B5 drastically reduces the oil production and shrinks your pores there by getting rid of your acne. Alot of people on the board has mixed results, but people with severe cystic acne get cured on this after being unsucessful with antibiotics and accutane. Im also on B5, an so far Im seeing positive results. Might be worth a try. In my light you seem very attractive and shouldnt be worried too much about acne. As for me, if B5 doesnt work im going on accutane. good luck! :)

Have you tried birth control pills like dianette? I found that helpful for a number of years, although when I came off them I found my acne seemed to be alot worse. Also, I would second what someone said earlier about Accutane. I started it about 8 or 9 weeks ago after years of being scared away from taking it so far it has worked wonders with little in the way of side effects. Don't forget, if you decide to give it a try and you cant tolerate the side effects you can just come off it.

Accutane course (30mg/day) 19/4/06 - 8/11/06 for moderate to severe facial acne

Status: All clear. Yeh! Haven't been able to say that for 15 years!

Current regimen: Any gentle cleanser / aloe vera + jojoba oil moisturiser / Green Cream

Maybe you should consider hormone therapy. Google Geoffrey Redmond

Morning:

Eucerin Redness Relief Cleanser with facial brush

NIVEA Moisturizing Toner

Eucerin Extra Protection SPF 30

Bare Minerals in Fairly Light

Evening:

Eucerin with facial brush

NIVEA Moisturizing Toner

Paula's Choice BHA 1% Lotion

Retin-A Micro .1%

Eucerin Redness Relief Night Creme

Daily:

Ortho-Cyclen pill

Lacto-Pesco Vegetarian Diet

Important Start Dates:

April 24 '06 - Duac gel

May 14 - Ortho-cyclen (gave up Sprintec after 3 months)

May 30 - 50mg of Spironolactone

June 8 - 100mg of Spironolactone (ceased Spiro)

Oct 12 - Retin-A Micro (ceased Duac)

May 9 '07 - Eucerin cleanser (switched from Clinique)

I've been on 3 different courses of Accutane in my life, and so far the most successful has been the generic-ass antibiotic Septra/Bactrim...believe it or not! The results have been much better!

Volvo For Life!

Topical accutane is retin-A, and it wont work as good as oral accutane, and the initial outbreak lasts longer according to what I heard. There's an online hype about Vitamin B5(Pantothenic Acid) where you take 10g a day. While accutane shrinks the oil glands of your skin cells, B5 drastically reduces the oil production and shrinks your pores there by getting rid of your acne. Alot of people on the board has mixed results, but people with severe cystic acne get cured on this after being unsucessful with antibiotics and accutane. Im also on B5, an so far Im seeing positive results. Might be worth a try. In my light you seem very attractive and shouldnt be worried too much about acne. As for me, if B5 doesnt work im going on accutane. good luck! :)

10mg of vitamin b5? ive just been looking and all i can find is 200mg pantothenic acid (b5) tablets. Would that be too much?

I went to the library to take out some books but the librarian said i could only take them if i rolled my pants up, i thought hmmm thats a turn up for the books :)

Unless your acne is absolutely terrible (more than 50% of your face is scarred/red) do not go on accutane. I went on accutane when I thought I had terrible acne, and it induced acne fulminans and now I am stuck with terrible blackish/purple scarring for the rest of my life and my acne is much much worse and uncured. You going on accutane would be a terrible decision, you don't even look like you have acne. I wish I had never gone on accutane.

Accutane is wonderful, especially if you have very oily skin. I agree with most of the people on this board. The benefits outweight the negatives. I was very scared to go on it at first too, but I think it's one of the best decisions I made in my life. BennyK: I'm sorry accutane did not work for you, but it does wonders for other people. I wish I had taken it sooner to prevent scarring. I've done tons of research and there doesn't seem to be an alternative to accutane. The vitamin B5 treatment seems a bit drastic to me. 10g just seems like way too much. If you're acne is hormonal, you can try either birth control pills or antiandrogens. I'm taking spironolactone (an antiandrogen) right now. But overall, nothing compares to accutane.

I strongly second bennyk. The exact same thing happened to me - acne fulminans. Although this side effect does not typically effect women, Accutane's many side effects are real and not worth the risk if your acne is not SEVERE. Judging from the pictures you don't fit the bill.

My doctor recommended 50,000 IUs of Vitamin A tablets per day as an alternative to low dose Accutane, but there are large risks associated with this methodolgy as well. I tried this and it actually inflammed my acne. Stay Accutane-free.

ACCUTANE ADVERSE REACTIONS

Acne fulminans, abnormal hair loss, allergic reaction, bleeding gums, blood in urine, bowel inflammation and pain, bruising, changes in blood sugar or cholesterol levels, changes in skin pigmentation, chest pain, decreased night vision, decreased tolerance to contact lenses, delay in wound healing, depression, difficulty sleeping, dizziness, drowsiness, dry or fragile skin, dry or cracked lips, dry mouth, dry nose, fatigue, flushing, headache, hearing problems, heartbeat irregularities, herpes, inflammation or sores in the esophagus, itching, joint pain, liver disorders, menstrual changes, muscle wasting, nail disorders, nausea, nervousness, nosebleeds, peeling palms or soles, pinkeye, rash, skin infections, stomach and intestinal discomfort, stroke, sudden drop in blood pressure (causing unconsciousness), sunburn-sensitive skin, suppression of growth, sweating, swelling due to fluid retention, tendon and ligament problems, urinary discomfort, vision problems, vomiting, weakness, weight loss

thankyou for all your replies and suggestions,i think its great that this place exists,as you feel you are getting a totally honest opinions,instead of your g.ps favourite prescription.I have decided not to go for accutane,for various reasons,although i wouldnt ever,critisise anyone else,for taking it..whatever works for you....have started taking the vitamin b5,and using silicol skin every night,and carrying on with the ertythromicin,which seems to keep the big humdinga cysts at bay! ! ...thanks again***

B5 and Acuzine. I heard b5 has worked for many people. I have never tried it. I went to google and typed in alternative of accutane and after some research I found acuzine. The were many mixed reviews for it. Some said it worked wonders and others said it didnt do much. I bought the 6 month supply because they have a 6 month money back GUARANTEE! I have been using it for a week and a half and I havent had any problems.

There are what are called topical retinoids, fi you have not tried them yet. This would include Retina A, Differin, etc.

>>Just another acne sufferer looking for permanent relief<<

Please don't listen to anyone saying "don't go on accutane." It's the only thing that really works. I'm telling you, if the acne is persistant and stubborn enough, a course of accutane will be inevitable. If you want clear skin. Once you are on it, you laugh at all the hype. the only side effect is that it dries out your lips!!

Accutane is the only thing that will clear up your skin dear. Don't let all the crap on the internet scare you away. It will increase your quality of life. DO IT!

I started in another thread, but I'll post here too: Photodynamic Therapy. It's as effective as accutane without the full body side effects.

Look it up. A cosmetic surgeon had to do it for me in Rolling Hills Estate, but it wasn't too expensive. $350 per treatment

To quote my dermatologist:

"accutane is the only definite 'cure' as such for acne. All other medications simply 'control' the symptoms but will not altogether prevent the symptoms"

However, after I told him that accutane made me depressed and zombie-like after just two days, he prescribed me to "minomycin" (aka minocycline") which is an antibiotic with almost no side effects that can be taken for long term (years) without damage. Has improved my acne, but not got rid of it. I also use differin gel, and Im trying this new one called Zorac. Basically that is the best I can do due to my accutane intolerance.

Tim, Sydney Australia

To quote my dermatologist:

"accutane is the only definite 'cure' as such for acne. All other medications simply 'control' the symptoms but will not altogether prevent the symptoms"

However, after I told him that accutane made me depressed and zombie-like after just two days, he prescribed me to "minomycin" (aka minocycline") which is an antibiotic with almost no side effects that can be taken for long term (years) without damage. Has improved my acne, but not got rid of it. I also use differin gel, and Im trying this new one called Zorac. Basically that is the best I can do due to my accutane intolerance.

Tim, Sydney Australia

hi Tim,i did go on minocycline for 6 months ,with no improvement..what i did get was alot of hyperpigmentation.it looked like blue bruises on my face and legs(attractive) which took 6 months to go after i had stopped taking it..be aware of this (supposedly) rare sideffect.i have heard from others that this ,worked really well for them tho..everyone is different. :cool::D

I'm also looking for an alternative to accutane. I've already had 5 courses of accutane from 17-26 (now 31). I don't want to do another course because I don't need 6 treaments to know that it doesn't work for me. My acne is on my chin and lower face and is so persistent. I always have a lot of pimples...ALWAYS. I'm thinking about spiro but I heard you have to take it with the pill and I don't want to go on the pill again(bad side effects). Maybe I can take spiro by itself without messing up my cycles? I feel hopeless because this is just not going away. :cry:

I'm also looking for an alternative to accutane. I've already had 5 courses of accutane from 17-26 (now 31). I don't want to do another course because I don't need 6 treaments to know that it doesn't work for me. My acne is on my chin and lower face and is so persistent. I always have a lot of pimples...ALWAYS. I'm thinking about spiro but I heard you have to take it with the pill and I don't want to go on the pill again(bad side effects). Maybe I can take spiro by itself without messing up my cycles? I feel hopeless because this is just not going away. :cry:

I tried Spiro and didn't have to go on the pill. I was one of the rare people who got side effects after a couple of days, so I wasn't able to take it. You might have better luck. I'm still looking for an alternative to getting off of Doxycycline.

From what I can recall:

Jan.06 through April 06

6 sessions of Fraxel 1

Started at 18 mjs. Ended at 24mjs.

All at 125

Full Face

Started at 2 passes. Ended with 4 passes.

Oct.2006

2 Polimar treatments

Jan.5,2007

Fraxel 1(again)

full face

18 mjs. on forehead

22 mjs. on cheeks

All at 250

Feb.5,2007

Fraxel 1

20 mjs.

4.17 KJs

Full face at 125

I have very mixed opinions on accutane. After my first treatment of 2 1/2 months, my life was pretty peachy. :surprised: I had absolutely flawless skin and I hadn't noticed any lasting side effects. Unfortunately, my acne started returning after 5 months. My derm told me it was probably because I hadn't finished the entire course. I soon found myself on accutane once again except this time....my worst nightmare happened. Within just a month or two, I lost massive amounts of hair. I wish I could post a before and after picture. Those of you suffering from acne know how much skin issues effect your self esteem...try losing your hair too. :( To this day, I have regular office visits with my derm trying to fight my hair loss. Going from thick thick hair to hair you can see through is an experience I wouldn't want to happen to anybody. To make matters worse, my acne has quadrupled....now it isn't just on my chin but everywhere and my skin is ultra sensitive and dry as can be. My point with this forever long post is to just be cautious. Really really REALLY weigh your options. Those five months of clear skin and no problems were precious moments, but look at the long term effects. I definitely have a love/hate realtionship with accutane. I've seen the miracle it works, but also the destruction.

If any one has any similiar experiences or any advice I would love to hear it. I feel like a monster now and very alone. Thanks.

I recommend accutane. Even people with moderate acne take it so why not a person with severe acne? right