Photo

ACNE DIET, CLEANSING & LEAKY GUT SYNDROME RESOURCE GUIDE

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

#41 serkios

serkios

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (fruitcocktail @ Feb 24 2008, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If leaky gut plays a role in upsetting hormone imbalance, then I can see how it could indirectly cause acne. Does anyone know if/how leaky gut specifically affects hormone levels?

Well I'm not sure about directly... but one of the liver's functions is to break down unused hormones in the body if it doesn't need them. I guess its possible that if the liver is over-saturated with breaking down toxins from digestion, the body could build up a lot of extra hormones that are waiting on the liver.

#42 treefeet

treefeet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (serkios @ Feb 24 2008, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (fruitcocktail @ Feb 24 2008, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If leaky gut plays a role in upsetting hormone imbalance, then I can see how it could indirectly cause acne. Does anyone know if/how leaky gut specifically affects hormone levels?

Well I'm not sure about directly... but one of the liver's functions is to break down unused hormones in the body if it doesn't need them. I guess its possible that if the liver is over-saturated with breaking down toxins from digestion, the body could build up a lot of extra hormones that are waiting on the liver.

The liver doesn't break down unused hormones, it regulates levels of "free" (bioavailable) hormones by releasing a protein called Sex Hormone Binding Globulin. I've never seen a study that shows a reduced production of SHBG caused by the liver being over-loaded with toxins. It's actually mainly the job of the kidneys to filter toxins from the blood.

#43 serkios

serkios

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

The liver doesn't break down unused hormones, it regulates levels of "free" (bioavailable) hormones by releasing a protein called Sex Hormone Binding Globulin. I've never seen a study that shows a reduced production of SHBG caused by the liver being over-loaded with toxins. It's actually mainly the job of the kidneys to filter toxins from the blood.

Can't say I agree that the liver doesn't break down hormones... A quick internet search found a couple of references saying it does:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver
The liver performs several roles in carbohydrate metabolism:
  • Gluconeogenesis (the synthesis of glucose from certain amino acids, lactate or glycerol)
  • Glycogenolysis (the breakdown of glycogen into glucose) (muscle tissues can also do this)
  • Glycogenesis (the formation of glycogen from glucose)
  • The breakdown of insulin and other hormones

http://www.helium.co...est-gland-upper
3. It is responsible for the formation of urea from ammonia and other nitrogen-containing waste products; urea is then excreted in the urine.
5. The liver detoxifies many harmful compounds, including alcohol and drugs, which are eliminated in the bile and urine.
6. The liver inactivates hormones, particularly steroid hormones, by converting them into substances that are excreted in the bile and urine.

Its true that the kidneys expels waste from your blood, but the liver also processes the urea that the kidneys remove from the blood which is then excreted as urine. So its not to say the liver doesn't prepare waste to be removed from your blood.

Like I said in my original post, I'm no expert. Just making my best educated-guess here wink.gif

#44 jemini

jemini

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:53 PM

Yeah, I got back from a naturopath and I am essentially following the same regimen. Low carb, no grains, no fruit. I have had cystic acne for years and accutane has accomplished nothing.

Your regimen looks pretty solid and realistic, the only thing I would consider would be a good source of probiotics. I recommend making kefir since it is really easy, cheaper and way more potent than any supplement you could ever buy at the store. And even foods like yogurt at the grocery store probably aren't that potent since I think many brands are pasteurized again before hitting shelves, in order to slow down/stop the fermenting process on the grocery shelves.

#45 dietfightingacne06

dietfightingacne06

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

I cured my acne by changing my diet. It is now completely 100% gone. Diet is the CURE!
Click here to see my video about it.
Sorry that my voice sounds distorted, the camera sort of screwed it up.

#46 Tasha90

Tasha90

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:29 AM

bump
"If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned..." -- Fight Club

#47 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:14 AM

That's a lot of great info. Since I started taking glucomannan fiber, I found out that it thickens the lining of the intestines, helping to heal leaky gut if you have it. It may be one reason that it has helped me so much.
Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements
- 50,000 IU Vitamin D once a week
- 250 - 500mgs calcium citrate per day
- 1,000mgs Vitamin C per day

General Dietary Principles
- Only consume manually pressed/organic oils and fats to avoid pesticides and hexane
- Avoid high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners
- Avoid hydrogenated oils
- Snack frequently (important!)
- Include high fiber foods like beans (chili yum!), trail mix (good for the frequent snacks), and raw veggies (also good as a snack with ranch dressing).
- Make sure I get enough sodium chloride (salt) throughout the day (good sources include ranch dressing (yummy with the raw veggies), chili, and pickles.

#48 and1

and1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:15 PM

i believe that most people with acne have leaky gut, they simply do not know

#49 chrisaus

chrisaus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:40 PM

didn't have time to read replies but i will say I believe that leaky gut is the only cause of acne. I beleive every single person who has acne has a leaky gut. If i keep up the soluble fiber intake, it gives my insides a chance to heal but if i decrease the intake my leaky gut symptoms come back.
The 2nd poster to jump on the pgx bandwagon. User Blessthefall being my superior.

#50 MrFabolous

MrFabolous

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:34 AM

Hello smile.gif

I also got leaky gut/mild candida disease and I got clear (100%) in one week after cutting out fruits from my Paleo Diet.

Im taking following supplements:

Cod Liver Oil
Vitamin C
Chromium
Vitamin D
Zinc
Psyllium Husks
Magnesium and Calcium

Im soon taking:

Udo's Choice Probiotics
Cinnamon Supplement

What other stuff would you recommend me to take, as I try to cure myself from this disease? I know this was what caused my acne since I cleared up after changing my diet. So now I think I got it under controlg with my new diet, and that is such a great feeling. But I would still like to go a little further smile.gif

Im looking forward to start taking my Probiotics as I hope they will help aswell.
Get to the root of the problem.

#51 thunder_cloud

thunder_cloud

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the info and your research. Everything you described really rings true with me and definitely connects a lot of the dots. About 5 years ago I was on antibiotics, probably consistently for a year or more. Since then Ive been experiencing fluctuating digestive problems, generally growing progressively worse, which have coincided with fluctuating acne. The last year or so Ive begun developing hypersensitivities to lots of different foods like wheat, sugar, peanut butter, milk, etc.. Ingestion of these foods, mainly high carb grains, sugar, and high sugar fruit can cause massive flare ups in my acne. After reading some of the post on this board I assumed that my acne was being caused by insulin resistance from sugar/carbs as well as specific food allergies. A little over a month ago I decided to go on a low carb/ high protein/fat diet and within a week I was seeing a dramatic reduction in my acne. Strangely I simultaneously began to develop strange skin rashes(definitely not acne) in various parts of my body like around the outside of my eyes, legs, genital region. I've been happy my acne is clearing up but Ive been clueless as to what was going on. Reading a recent post that mentioned the connection of candida/yeast with a white tongue, which Ive also had for years, all the pieces have begun to fall together for me. The low carb/zero sugar diet I've been on is pretty much an anti-candida diet. The diet has been slowly starving the candida causing a gradual die off, resulting in the developing yeast infected rashes on my body. My food allergies and sensitivities also make total sense in light of all this as well and why any sugar makes me break out..its food for the candida!! I'm really convinced that candida and the imbalance of microflora brought about through antibiotics is root cause of my adult acne, digestive problems, and food allergies. My teenage was very different and was probably just hormones.

Thanks for bringing it all together for me!! Now that I know whats going on in my body I'm confident that I will be able to take my regimen one step further and really cure my acne and other problems. Last night I started taking a candida cleanse supplement as well as oregano oil extract, and the rash around my eye has already started clearing up and I actually had a perfect bowel movement today..wow!! I think its working so quickly since Ive already been slowly killing it with my low carb diet for the past month or so. I hope to eventually be able to consume grain products and sweet fruits once I get the candida in check and beneficial bacteria re-established!!

#52 thunder_cloud

thunder_cloud

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

I really want to try kefir but I'm afraid because of my digestive problems and issues with milk. Any suggestions? Maybe I'll try some in a couple weeks once the candida cleanse supplements have had time to work their magic.

#53 thunder_cloud

thunder_cloud

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

Also, to the moderators, someone should really make this a sticky. I'm so glad I caught this thread before it faded into oblivion. I have a feeling there are many people on this board with similar issues that don't have any idea what candida is or that yeast maybe the root cause of a panacea of health problems they are dealing with, including acne.

#54 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

There is already a sticky pertaining to this topic. I listed Leaky Gut Syndrome as LGS in a thread I created, however I went ahead and spelled it out and am merging the two threads. cool.gif

All about Leaky Gut Syndrome, Possible root cause of acne? is now apart of this thread, ACNE DIET, CLEANSING & LEAKY GUT SYNDROME RESOURCE GUIDE

Peace
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#55 BarryAllen

BarryAllen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:08 PM

I'm amazed how many people this info is helping (myself included) I'd really like to get this info out into the general population and the medical community. What exactly can we do to get this out there for longtime chronic acne sufferers?

#56 thunder_cloud

thunder_cloud

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (BarryAllen @ May 4 2008, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm amazed how many people this info is helping (myself included) I'd really like to get this info out into the general population and the medical community. What exactly can we do to get this out there for longtime chronic acne sufferers?

I agree. It really seems like all the problems people discuss here: acne, food allergies, problems with sugar/carbs/grains, etc..can all be linked back to candida and the leaky gut it causes. Although candida in itself still isn't the root problem. The real problem is the imbalance of beneficial and pathogenic/opportunistic bacteria and the ways through which this imbalance occurs, which for most of us is probably through antibiotics.

#57 IPA

IPA

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:33 AM

I just woke up and did the spit test (from http://www.adhdrelie...ndidaTest.html) and I see the strings. Does that mean I have LGS? confused.gif

#58 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (iPodAddict @ May 19 2008, 06:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just woke up and did the spit test (from http://www.adhdrelie...ndidaTest.html) and I see the strings. Does that mean I have LGS? confused.gif

No, that's a test for candida, and a sham at that! Everyone will fail the test...
Regimen
No Soap/cleansers
Plenty of Epsom salt baths

Diet/supps:
-Whole body Healing from *moderator edit - url removed - please read the board rules* since 7/3/08=no more acne, sebderm, rosacea, sickness

#59 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:18 PM

For those suspecting wheat/gluten induced leaky gut, ive made a thread bout how the probiotic bifidobacterium lactis prevents intestinal permeability from gliadin- may wanna try it out to support a gluten-free, limited or crap diet...
Regimen
No Soap/cleansers
Plenty of Epsom salt baths

Diet/supps:
-Whole body Healing from *moderator edit - url removed - please read the board rules* since 7/3/08=no more acne, sebderm, rosacea, sickness

#60 ComplexIssues

ComplexIssues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:27 AM

Wouldn't the best thing for everybody to do is get a comprehensive blood test to determine allergic substances and at the same time take macrobiotics and supplements of this nature?
Personal Regimen:

Morning and Night:

- Purpose Gentle Cleanser,
- followed by Neutrogena Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin.

Every other day:
- Shampoo/cleanse face with Ketoconazole shampoo, 2%
- followed by Neutrogena Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin.

Supplements:

- Multi Vitamin 1-2 times daily.
- Up to 6 capsules of Flaxseed Oil/Fish Oil daily.
- Probiotic capsules, usually once a day.