Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ACNE DIET, CLEANSING & LEAKY GUT SYNDROME RESOURCE GUIDE

106 posts in this topic

I'd like to reinforce how wonderful fresh, leafy greens are for those with acne. When I added leafy greens to my already healthy diet, my acne went away almost entirely within 6 weeks.

Dr. Joel Fuhrman, one of the most credible and scientifically accurate doctors in America, recommends greens more than any other food to help with skin problems.

Green smoothies are a very easy and tasty way to get in your fresh fruits and greens for the day. The smoothies taste like fruit smoothies, because the greens are blended with fruit, and the fruit masks the flavor of the greens. You also get four times the amount of nutrition, as the blender is able to more thoroughly break down the cell walls than chewing can alone. Dr. Fuhrman confirms this. Even if they don't help your skin, you'll get terrific health benefits.

To read more about green smoothies, click here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=108917

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

~Philippians 4:8~

Green smoothies/blended greens keep me clear! Click here

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!

hey

where can i go to gest tested on what foods might be causing my acne?

Goin to work abroad for the summer, cant wait to get in the sunshine.

You have to attack acne where it starts, with your diet. For me, diet was the cause and solution. Topical medications fight the symptoms. Start by eliminating trans fats and eating more fruits and vegetables. Once you start cleaning up the inside of your body, by eating properly, the outside of your body (your skin) will be get cleaned up too. I started a website to document my problem and solution.

http://www.fredstown.com/acne.html

You might find it helpful to read my story. Just remember to eat an all natural/organic diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. Stay away from processed foods. Use mild, all natural cleansers and don't pick at your face. Get lots of sleep and enough water for your body weight. Remember, clean body = clean skin. While you're waiting for your skin to clear, remind yourself that acne is a challenge that you will overcome soon. Once you're rid of it, tell all your friends how you did it. That's what I'm doing. God Bless.

http://www.fredstown.com/acne.html

The leaky gut syndrome part of this thread needs some attention! And anything that has to do with digestive problems. I only just noticed this "pinned" topic today, as i suddenly worked out what LGS means :wall:

I started an anti LGS regime just under 4 weeks ago, and it's working a treat for me so far (pics in gallery under profile) - just waiting for time to pass to see if i'm right or not (100% clear is the only goal for me). I haven't messed with my diet too much, or removed any whole food groups (like grains, dairy) - and i still occasionally have really "bad" foods. So somethings definitely helping, LGS, digestion or what - as it's working i don't really care!

Any of the original posters still around?

?tnarelotni esotcurF uoy erA

After all, man is not what he eats, but what he can digest and assimilate. And i can't assimilate much fructose at all!

That's a lot of really useful information.

I and a lot of other people would agree with you that the problem stems from digestive issues.

My regimen consists of a low sugar and carb diet, probiotics and prebiotics, and taking psyllium husks for fibre. I also eat soya yoghurt that contains bifidus, this is to control DHT.

My skin has been slowly improving for months, I'm not at the point yet where I can say I'm clear but if I keep improving then it isn't far off.

I wish you every success!

serkios,

I am so with you on so much of this. Magazines and articles link lack of enzymes in your system, (as you get older, the less you have) to acne, hair loss, etc., since the nutrition in your food isn't absorbed. Also, antibiotics and all the sugar/starch we do eat is a big factor for most in regards to yeast infections and not having "friendly flora" Adding stress to the mix is something we all have to deal with. It gets worse as we stress about our face and our appearance.

Good luck, I will follow you to see what works!

DWHAA

Dawn

Current status - pretty clear

am

10% Benz Perox Wash

2% Salycylic Acid Wash

diva dryer mitt to exfoliate

Straight Braggs ACV

1% Metrogel

Amlactin

pm

Vit C cleanser

Straight ACV

Every other Day Taz with Cerave

Spot Treat with 10% Benz Perox Cream

Oh my.. this is a very interesting thread. I have alot in common with you! I stated an anti candida diet 6 weeks ago, with a nutritionist. I've been taking the herbs you mentioned, (switching every week) and following a very strict diet. Rice pasta and brown rice were ok. Also taking probiotics, but she recently found an article about fermented cabbage juice, this is an excellent source (and cheap) of good bacteria. Tastes like sauerkraut. Go to eregimens.com look for cultured cabbage juice.

So all of what you reported has clicked for me. I'm anxious to see your results. Oh so after I eliminated sugar my acne cleared, but I'm not out of the leaky gut woods yet.

Does the book say how long this may take? Well keep us posted!

serkios,

I am so with you on so much of this. Magazines and articles link lack of enzymes in your system, (as you get older, the less you have) to acne, hair loss, etc., since the nutrition in your food isn't absorbed. Also, antibiotics and all the sugar/starch we do eat is a big factor for most in regards to yeast infections and not having "friendly flora" Adding stress to the mix is something we all have to deal with. It gets worse as we stress about our face and our appearance.

Good luck, I will follow you to see what works!

DWHAA

I still don't see how the skin expelling toxins is related to acne. No where in the commonly accepted pathogenesis of acne will you see anything about toxins being related to the formation of acne. I do believe leaky gut is a real problem and I can see how it would degrade overall health, but I don't see any way it majorly contributes to acne.

I still don't see how the skin expelling toxins is related to acne. No where in the commonly accepted pathogenesis of acne will you see anything about toxins being related to the formation of acne. I do believe leaky gut is a real problem and I can see how it would degrade overall health, but I don't see any way it majorly contributes to acne.

I'm no expert, but I think it's related to the inflammation of acne, and possibly also the metabolism of hormones being affected.

If your body is having trouble dealing with toxins, it upsets the hormonal balance, which plays havoc with sebum and skin shedding, causing the blockages in pores. Perhaps then the cause of inflammation is your body reacting to the toxic build up originating in your gut by responding to any kind of infection, and therefore over-reacting to p. acne's in the blocked pores, causing inflammation.

Just my thoughts, I have thought along the same lines are you were, but that's a possible answer. Makes sense to me until someone tells me I'm wrong :surprised:

If leaky gut plays a role in upsetting hormone imbalance, then I can see how it could indirectly cause acne. Does anyone know if/how leaky gut specifically affects hormone levels?

If leaky gut plays a role in upsetting hormone imbalance, then I can see how it could indirectly cause acne. Does anyone know if/how leaky gut specifically affects hormone levels?

Well I'm not sure about directly... but one of the liver's functions is to break down unused hormones in the body if it doesn't need them. I guess its possible that if the liver is over-saturated with breaking down toxins from digestion, the body could build up a lot of extra hormones that are waiting on the liver.

The liver doesn't break down unused hormones, it regulates levels of "free" (bioavailable) hormones by releasing a protein called Sex Hormone Binding Globulin. I've never seen a study that shows a reduced production of SHBG caused by the liver being over-loaded with toxins. It's actually mainly the job of the kidneys to filter toxins from the blood.

Yeah, I got back from a naturopath and I am essentially following the same regimen. Low carb, no grains, no fruit. I have had cystic acne for years and accutane has accomplished nothing.

Your regimen looks pretty solid and realistic, the only thing I would consider would be a good source of probiotics. I recommend making kefir since it is really easy, cheaper and way more potent than any supplement you could ever buy at the store. And even foods like yogurt at the grocery store probably aren't that potent since I think many brands are pasteurized again before hitting shelves, in order to slow down/stop the fermenting process on the grocery shelves.

bump

"If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned..." -- Fight Club

That's a lot of great info. Since I started taking glucomannan fiber, I found out that it thickens the lining of the intestines, helping to heal leaky gut if you have it. It may be one reason that it has helped me so much.

Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements

- 50,000 IU Vitamin D once a week

- 250 - 500mgs calcium citrate per day

- 1,000mgs Vitamin C per day

General Dietary Principles

- Only consume manually pressed/organic oils and fats to avoid pesticides and hexane

- Avoid high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners

- Avoid hydrogenated oils

- Snack frequently (important!)

- Include high fiber foods like beans (chili yum!), trail mix (good for the frequent snacks), and raw veggies (also good as a snack with ranch dressing).

- Make sure I get enough sodium chloride (salt) throughout the day (good sources include ranch dressing (yummy with the raw veggies), chili, and pickles.

i believe that most people with acne have leaky gut, they simply do not know

didn't have time to read replies but i will say I believe that leaky gut is the only cause of acne. I beleive every single person who has acne has a leaky gut. If i keep up the soluble fiber intake, it gives my insides a chance to heal but if i decrease the intake my leaky gut symptoms come back.

The 2nd poster to jump on the pgx bandwagon. User Blessthefall being my superior.

Hello :)

I also got leaky gut/mild candida disease and I got clear (100%) in one week after cutting out fruits from my Paleo Diet.

Im taking following supplements:

Cod Liver Oil

Vitamin C

Chromium

Vitamin D

Zinc

Psyllium Husks

Magnesium and Calcium

Im soon taking:

Udo's Choice Probiotics

Cinnamon Supplement

What other stuff would you recommend me to take, as I try to cure myself from this disease? I know this was what caused my acne since I cleared up after changing my diet. So now I think I got it under controlg with my new diet, and that is such a great feeling. But I would still like to go a little further :)

Im looking forward to start taking my Probiotics as I hope they will help aswell.

Get to the root of the problem.