Photo

Needling scarred pores: Does it work?

boxcar needling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

#1 Healtysceptic

Healtysceptic

Healthysceptic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:46 AM

Hi. I have had a big success needling the few acne scars I have. These scars are boxcar types, or craters I guess. Anyway, head on they never looked bad. But when I held a mirror and let indirect light, or shadows fall on them from an angle, they used to look like deep indentations. Now, after a few needling sessions, they have been reduced significantly. To the point where it is hard to notice any indentation even in the most harsh light, shadow, or angle. I'm really surprised and overjoyed at the results form needling. Especially since I have been plagued by these scars for over twenty years and have had every procedure known to man performed on them in the past with basically no results.

I also have a few scarred pores which create a wierd type design on my face. You know, a few here and there, connected to the the lapidal folds, which create a minor roadmap look. Anyway, does anyone know, or has anyone successfully needled scarred pores? Thanks in advance for your replies.James

#2 loki

loki

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:14 PM

I was wondering this too. After my wedding I am going to try, so I can't do anything until mid July. I can't wait. I am so sick of this. Honestly, I would think that needling would work for scarred pores. I'm so happy to hear it has worked for your boxcar scars. How long was your downtime when you needled James? Did you have a lot of scars that you needled? Thanks for your help!

#3 hurt by my skin

hurt by my skin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:57 PM

Hi James,
I am very happy to hear that needeling has worked for your scars! That is very encouraging for me. I have had some scars for the last 20 years that have tormented me off an on. It's not fun.

I hope it works on scared pores.

I'm wondering if a person who suffers from rosacea/inflammation can have needeling done for scars?

Did you get the needeling done by a doctor? If so, what kind?

Peace.

#4 Healtysceptic

Healtysceptic

Healthysceptic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2006 - 01:59 PM

Hi All,

I did the needling myself with needles I bought at the local Walgreens Pharmacy.

I have waited one full month in between needling sessions.

After the needling the scars were bright red for about a week, than faded back to normal quickly. I used my wifes make-up to cover the redness completely.

I think if your scars are red to begin with the needling will help. You are creating new collegen at that spot afterall.

I only needled a few scars becuase that is all I have ( besides some minor scarred pores I will try next). As I said, the scars were craters, that looked fairly deep in bad light/shadow/angles. etc. Now they look 80% (at least) improved.

Lastly, there is an excellent thread here somewhere, do a search, on needling. The do's, don'ts etc. I followed it's advice to the letter.

Let's see if it works on scarred pores. Of course it will take at least 2 months to report results, if any. Thanks, James

#5 billyboy

billyboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

Healthy

I was intrigued by your post, mostly becasue of your sucess, but also because your observatsions on scar appearance is spot on with mine. If I look straight on (close up with my reading glasses) using 2 mirrors in bathroom (one mirror is from medicine cabinet), I see no indents. It is only when I move my head to see from various angles that the indents look bad. Same thing with lighting; it looks ok in direct sun or overhead lighted room, but awful in bright indirect light coming in at an angle or form the side.

One way I know that Fraxel is working for me is that when I do the "bathroom angle test" on my best side by moving my head to get the worst view, the indents are really getting harder to notice. I wish I could say the same about the other side, so I may give needling a try if these left side scars still bother me after Fraxel.

I am hesitant to try because I don't want to make things worse. Scarring is such a hard thing to assess. My wife and a few friends say they can hardly notice any scars. And, when I am in bathroom obsessing, I really need to get close and use reading glasses to assess my progress. Yet, there are cetain anlges in bad lighting where it looks really bad to me.

Congrats

#6 butterflies74

butterflies74

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2006 - 05:39 PM

James, CONGRATULATIONS! Being that your screen name is apropos to your personality and perspective, I believe that when you see positive results, there REALLY is improvement! I just have one question after reading the needling thread you suggested: there is some discrepancy about how many times & at what angles to needle the scars. Could you describe YOUR technique very briefly (e.g. did you "jack hammer" dozens of times at different angles, including the borders (a la Gumby) or just go straight in with the needle 5 or 6 times like many others?) That, I think, is the only point in the thread on which I couldn't get a handle. Many thanks and, again, CONGRATULATIONS! I hope you have as stellar results with your pores!!!! biggrin.gif

#7 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2006 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE(butterflies74 @ Jun 18 2006, 05:39 PM) View Post

James, CONGRATULATIONS! Being that your screen name is apropos to your personality and perspective, I believe that when you see positive results, there REALLY is improvement! I just have one question after reading the needling thread you suggested: there is some discrepancy about how many times & at what angles to needle the scars. Could you describe YOUR technique very briefly (e.g. did you "jack hammer" dozens of times at different angles, including the borders (a la Gumby) or just go straight in with the needle 5 or 6 times like many others?) That, I think, is the only point in the thread on which I couldn't get a handle. Many thanks and, again, CONGRATULATIONS! I hope you have as stellar results with your pores!!!! biggrin.gif

I'm glad you have seen results with the needling! I know you have been around and tried many things so that is great. I am interested in your style of needling too, like how many times did you hit each scar and the angles. Also what kind of aftercare did you use- copper peptides, neosporin?

#8 Healtysceptic

Healtysceptic

Healthysceptic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:14 AM

Hi All,

I didn't "jackhammer" the scars. I simply stuck the needle in about 10 or 15 times in each scar. It bled pretty bad. I wiped it off with cotton soaked in alcohol. I stick the needle mostly in the center of the scar, but do stick it on the edges, basically on every part of the scar. I just stick it straight in, not at any particular angle.

Tonight I needled the scarred pores. I was bit more aggresive on them. Interestingly, I did hear the popping sound that some report as I needled my scarred pores. On the craters, I never have.

After needling I have not used any aftercare (except I apply alcohol on a pad to the treated areas one last time). In fact I use no products on my skin at all. Just an anti-bacterial soap, and water. I have used every product on the market in the past. I think peels, retin-A, etc., etc., just thin out the skin, making scarring more pronounced and harder to treat. At least that is my experience. ( I do use Obagi Sunscreen on my face every morning after I shower. I find Obagi the best for me. I have very fair Irish/German Skin that gets beet red in about 5 minutes if exposed to the sun. Obagi sunscreen has protected my face from the sun perfectly for years now).

The scarred pores have created a scab also, whereas the craters didn't. The craters just turned red for a few days as I reported in the beginning of this thread.

I can really attest to the fact that needling has done wonders for my boxcars ( craters). I peered at them from every concievable angle, under every lighting-shadow condition that has showed them at their absolute worst in the past. So simple, so cheap, and the down time is really nothing if just a dab of makeup is applied for a few days.

I will report on the scarred pores in about a month. Tonight was the first time for them. The craters I hit in a couple of days again. As time goes by I will report on their continued ( I am confident) progress.

Thanks to all for your best wishes. If anyone tries needling I suggest just a few at time, perhaps alternating between some areas a week or so apart. But not doing the same area for at least a month to insure collagen growth. Good luck, James

#9 hurt by my skin

hurt by my skin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE(Healtysceptic @ Jun 19 2006, 07:14 AM) View Post

Hi All,

I didn't "jackhammer" the scars. I simply stuck the needle in about 10 or 15 times in each scar. It bled pretty bad. I wiped it off with cotton soaked in alcohol. I stick the needle mostly in the center of the scar, but do stick it on the edges, basically on every part of the scar. I just stick it straight in, not at any particular angle.

Tonight I needled the scarred pores. I was bit more aggresive on them. Interestingly, I did hear the popping sound that some report as I needled my scarred pores. On the craters, I never have.

After needling I have not used any aftercare (except I apply alcohol on a pad to the treated areas one last time). In fact I use no products on my skin at all. Just an anti-bacterial soap, and water. I have used every product on the market in the past. I think peels, retin-A, etc., etc., just thin out the skin, making scarring more pronounced and harder to treat. At least that is my experience. ( I do use Obagi Sunscreen on my face every morning after I shower. I find Obagi the best for me. I have very fair Irish/German Skin that gets beet red in about 5 minutes if exposed to the sun. Obagi sunscreen has protected my face from the sun perfectly for years now).

The scarred pores have created a scab also, whereas the craters didn't. The craters just turned red for a few days as I reported in the beginning of this thread.

I can really attest to the fact that needling has done wonders for my boxcars ( craters). I peered at them from every concievable angle, under every lighting-shadow condition that has showed them at their absolute worst in the past. So simple, so cheap, and the down time is really nothing if just a dab of makeup is applied for a few days.

I will report on the scarred pores in about a month. Tonight was the first time for them. The craters I hit in a couple of days again. As time goes by I will report on their continued ( I am confident) progress.

Thanks to all for your best wishes. If anyone tries needling I suggest just a few at time, perhaps alternating between some areas a week or so apart. But not doing the same area for at least a month to insure collagen growth. Good luck, James

Thanks again, James.
I wonder if needeling will help scared pores on the nose?
You make needeling sound so promising. I want to have it done. But I am to fearful to do it myself.
My wife is a nurse, but I'm not sure if I should have her do it.
I do know a dermatologist. I grew up with her. She's opening her own practice. But she's a cold fish, and I don't think she is crazy about me. But who knows. Maybe I can have her to it.
I'm so happy for you, James. Nothing better than hearing a person has overcome their scars. smile.gif

#10 LucyInTheSky

LucyInTheSky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:08 PM

Wow... so needling actually works! I too am curious about its effects on scarred pores.

One quick question: How deep do you have to go? How do you know how deep you are going?

#11 cognitive

cognitive

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:41 PM

haha, this is the first time i've heard of this. it sounds so dangerous, christ, but i sorta want to try...

#12 jgroove

jgroove

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:14 PM

if you have fillers in your skin, will they be affected if you have the needling done in the same areas? will the filler be destroyed, or will there be any problems? the filler i have is permanent- pmma done in mexico.

thank you

#13 Canucker

Canucker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE(jgroove @ Jun 19 2006, 06:14 PM) View Post

if you have fillers in your skin, will they be affected if you have the needling done in the same areas? will the filler be destroyed, or will there be any problems? the filler i have is permanent- pmma done in mexico.

thank you

Getting needling done over a filler can actually be quite dangerous. Infection can be a major possibility. Seeing as how the implant is permanent, I believe the safest thing for you to do is get the implant removed and then try needling but that's going to be a tough procedure. Over time, permanent implants start to show as we age. Dont mess up your skin, by doing too many things on the same spot. Thats a major no no.

#14 Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus

Leader of the Anti-Chuck Movement

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:58 PM

James,

How many sessions of this have you done on the boxcars and how long ago did you start?

#15 hurt by my skin

hurt by my skin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

Is needeling an option for someone older like me? I hear collagan does not grow as much in 45 year olds as it does in younger people.
I would hope it still is an option for us old timers.

#16 Healtysceptic

Healtysceptic

Healthysceptic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hi All,

I'll try to answer all of your questions.

Firstly, I have done needling twice. I started three months ago. My third session is slated for Tuesday night. I waited one month between sessions. I saw big results about 2 weeks after I needled the second time.

Depth: I stick the needle in till the scar bleeds. It seems very little of a poke is needed. On the scarred pores I heard the popping sound ( scar tissue breaking up) that others have reported. So that is the right depth. But if you do not hear scar tissue popping just stick it in till it bleeds. Needle the scar at least 10 or 15 times.

Age: I'm in my forties and collagen reproduction is working fine for me. Though I am in excellent shape, workout all the time and have a very good diet. Shouldn't be a problem at any age I think if you are in good health. Of course smoking would deter healing, but if you smoke I'm sure it will still work but perhaps to a lesser degree.

Fear: It is a minor procedure. Just do one scar if you choose. Find one that bothers you. Try it on that. Wait a month and gauge results.

Permanent Fillers: The two scars I performed needling on were filled with a permanent filler over two years ago. The filler never took, and I had no change in the scarring after the filler procedure was performed. Since I felt no discernable "lump" in the scars, and they were still very plainly visible, I didn't give it a second thought. I needled them. So far no adverse reaction, only vast improvement. But I would caution you that this is my results only, yours may differ.

Needles: 30 Gauge Needles. "BD Ultra-Fine" brand from Long's Drug Store or Walgreens. These are Insulin Syringes.

Lastly, information on needling is all over this board. It seems like one of the most talked about threads. Do a search on acne.org for needling and a lot of information will be available.
James

#17 italguy

italguy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:37 PM

needling is more commonly know as subsiscion. Doc uses a needle breaks up scar tissue all sorts of popping sounds on most scars, rednees for few weeks and then great results. Highly recomended but. I would advise going to a very reputable plastic surgeon unless you really know what your doing

QUOTE(Healtysceptic @ Jun 20 2006, 01:00 AM) View Post

Hi All,

I'll try to answer all of your questions.

Firstly, I have done needling twice. I started three months ago. My third session is slated for Tuesday night. I waited one month between sessions. I saw big results about 2 weeks after I needled the second time.

Depth: I stick the needle in till the scar bleeds. It seems very little of a poke is needed. On the scarred pores I heard the popping sound ( scar tissue breaking up) that others have reported. So that is the right depth. But if you do not hear scar tissue popping just stick it in till it bleeds. Needle the scar at least 10 or 15 times.

Age: I'm in my forties and collagen reproduction is working fine for me. Though I am in excellent shape, workout all the time and have a very good diet. Shouldn't be a problem at any age I think if you are in good health. Of course smoking would deter healing, but if you smoke I'm sure it will still work but perhaps to a lesser degree.

Fear: It is a minor procedure. Just do one scar if you choose. Find one that bothers you. Try it on that. Wait a month and gauge results.

Permanent Fillers: The two scars I performed needling on were filled with a permanent filler over two years ago. The filler never took, and I had no change in the scarring after the filler procedure was performed. Since I felt no discernable "lump" in the scars, and they were still very plainly visible, I didn't give it a second thought. I needled them. So far no adverse reaction, only vast improvement. But I would caution you that this is my results only, yours may differ.

Needles: 30 Gauge Needles. "BD Ultra-Fine" brand from Long's Drug Store or Walgreens. These are Insulin Syringes.

Lastly, information on needling is all over this board. It seems like one of the most talked about threads. Do a search on acne.org for needling and a lot of information will be available.
James

#18 Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus

Leader of the Anti-Chuck Movement

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:56 PM

james thanks for the further details.

italguy thanks for the info but you are mistaken about this type of needling. Subcision is sliding a needle underneath the scar, this needling is into the face of the scar.

#19 DJT

DJT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE(Pocket Aces @ Jun 19 2006, 05:56 PM) View Post

james thanks for the further details.

italguy thanks for the info but you are mistaken about this type of needling. Subcision is sliding a needle underneath the scar, this needling is into the face of the scar.

I tried it two nights ago after thinking it through for two weeks. I was so afraid of poking it into my normal skin due to the fear of needles that I only did it on three scars. Are you suppose to feel a slight hint of pain when you do this?

#20 coyne

coyne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:44 AM

Hi, I'm also interested in this for scarred pores. If successful how long will the benefits last? Are the effects just edma? and is this something that would have to be repeated many times a year? Sorry alot of questions.

Cheers

Kevin