5 replies to this topic

#1 franci

franci

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:00 PM

Hi,

Just wanted to share something that I've tried recently that seems to be helping control my acne and also helps with melasma and redness- topical niacinamide. I forget exactly how I stumbled onto the place on e-bay that sells this stuff but I think I was searching for organic/natural moisturizers. Anyhow, this store on ebay called SkinActives sells a whole range of products and one of them is niacinamide.Basically all you do is add the product to a lotion,mix, and apply. I added mine to Neutrogena Oil Free moisturizer.

My experience is as follows (it's only been two weeks from today): Exactly a week after I started applying,which I did every morning, sparingly, I peeled like crazy (this could be because I use retin-a compounded with cetaphil at night,as well though. My skin was very smooth and tight, the bumps were minimal, and the melasma that I had on the top of my cheeks that extended up towards my temples and around my eyes had peeled off. I was very excited about the melasma part because even lactic acid and retin-a use for a year could not get rid of it and it really did look like I had a partial mask (yuk.)

This last week, on Tuesday, I developed what they call 'milia' those white bumps that people talk about when they have chemical/laser peels and then have to apply some sort of occlusive product to their face to keep moisturized. I think it might have been from a thicker moisturizer that I used to keep my skin hydrated as I work in a heavily air-conditioned office building. By Thursday, they were completely gone- no redness,no bump,nothing left of them.

Yesterday morning before work I used my organic cleanser and a cottonball to begin getting the peeling skin off my face (because I knew I had an event to attend tonight (Sat) and I wanted to look presentable at work yesterday,otherwise I would NOT have done this). When I got home from work last night, I used my glycolic face wash (17%) and a cottonball and exfoliated once again. Needless to say my skin was a bit pink. Last week when I did the same thing my face was red but I still managed to look presentable enough to go out. Anyhow, after I finished exfoliating , I reapplied the niacinamide. It didn't burn and after about 10 min, my face was back to normal color. When I went to bed last night, I washed and applied cp serum from skin bio and used my dermaroller, which by the way is fantastic for helping products penetrate deeper into skin. I swear by mine after having used them for over 6 months now with same products I had used before and notice much more improvements, specifically cp serum (been using that for 2 years.)

Today,my skin is tight from all the exfoliation but I don't have any active bumps, which is quite unusual because I've just started my period. Also, my hyperpigmentation from a bump that developed a couple of weeks ago, is much reduced which I am very happy about.I am one of those people whose marks stay red for months on end- drives me mad. I know that my skin will be a bit crusty this week from all the exfoliation but that's ok. Just will have to moisturize and add cp serum to moisturizer to make sure the skin grows back proper. I also think that I am only going to apply the niacinamide to my whole fact maybe twice this coming week adn only spot treat hyperpigmented places and any bumps if they should occur. I don't want to keep peeling my skin so much as that is not really a good thing, even though I like it when it's all tight and smooth. BTW, I do have minor scarring that appears better from this whole process. In a month I am going to take some photos to see if it's just my imagination or not. I have plenty of 'pre' photos (I'm a bit obsessive, I admit.)

So my point is this: this product gets rid of hyperpigmentation, controls inflammation of acne, seems to keep new bumps from appearing, and works on melasma. I am very happy that I decided to try this product. I did in fact mix up an ounce for a girlfriend of mine whose only been using for a couple of days.I will be seeing her tonight and will let all know if she's seen immediate improvement/no improvement, etc in her spots. She never had acne as a teen(lucky gal) but she is getting it now in her mid 20's. I think hers is caused by leaning her head in her hands. Anyhow, I'll post about it for comparative purposes.

Thanks

#2 R.S.

R.S.

Senior Administrator

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

I tried it a long time ago. Seemed to help my skin but all the alcohol in it really dried things out. All in all, I liked it better then other prescription topicals.

#3 franci

franci

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(rubber sheep @ Jun 17 2006, 07:34 PM) View Post

I tried it a long time ago. Seemed to help my skin but all the alcohol in it really dried things out. All in all, I liked it better then other prescription topicals.

There is no alcohol in it that I am aware of. It's pure niacinamide that I added to lotion. It does dry the skin out but now that I'm on my second/third week, and my skin has peeled and the redness and bumps are gone, I am reducing use to every two days. On the off days, I am using either vit-c in lotion or copper peptide in lotion. Very happy so far and more than willing to put up with minor dryness instead of bumps and redness.

#4 KnowShow

KnowShow

"you need to forgive everyone in your life, and yourself

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:www.waisays.com

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:43 AM

Ive been wondering why noone talks about this great product. So you make your own mixture. I buy mine already mixed. I get it from www.lifelinknet.com its called Metazene 5, 5% Niacinamide Gel. It contains the following::: De-Ionized water, Aloe barbaensis leaf juice, Niacinamide, Hamamelis virginiana, Kosher vegetable glycerin, Propylene glycol, Carbomer, TEA, Methyl/Propyl paraben.

It says on the bottle:::

Niacinamide, a component of vitamin B3, has been widely employed to treat inflammatory acne vulgaris- the classic form of acne. In a 1995 clinical trial, 82% of acne patients treated with a 4% niacinamide gel showed improvement in 8 weeks.

This gel works very good for me. I use a retinoid at night, wash with tea tree oil night and morning, and use this gel during the day. I think it helps wit active acne, but its no miracle. Whenever I feel like my acne is getting worse or I feel a spot coming i slap on some gel and the feeling goes away.. i think the bottle cost like $7 too, maybe less. cant go wrong there.

#5 KnowShow

KnowShow

"you need to forgive everyone in your life, and yourself

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:www.waisays.com

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:43 AM

ive been using green cream level 3, which I guess is not strong at all, and not a prescription. I don't peel, get a red face, or notice any effect from this other than the fact that my redmarks are fading SUPER FAST! I think its helping my acne too, can't tell, plus I've only been using it less than a week. I guess I should be wearing a sunscreen but I am only out in the sun for very short periods of time. Plus I think sunscreen would make me break out..

Now I should tell you all that my redmarks already heal extremely fast on their own, then adding my diet into it helps tremendously because I take in 4 times more vitamin c than most people.

by the way, lately Ive been smoking more pot, 3-5 times per day, and I am definately breaking out more..

Now if I was to smoke once at night I would notice little to no breakout.. thats just me though.

#6 R.S.

R.S.

Senior Administrator

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:02 PM

Looking back to when I used niacinamide, it was as effective as BP back when BP controlled my acne and without the redness or oily layer of topical that ProActiv left. I think I'm gonna go back to topical niacinamide possibly, it's just a nice idea to have a vitamin-based topical available that's been shown to be as good or better then topical antibiotics...

So, anyone else ever used the stuff?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users