shielakijawani

• Birthday 10/04/1997

• Location Canada

Effective..but a few doubts
on 23/06/2013
I started getting moderate acne about a year and a half ago, mainly papules and pustules. I was completely devastated being especially because I'm in high school. I tried a few at home and over the counter treatments and for a while i used Clean and Clear's 5% Benzoyl Peroxide to no avail. I finally visited my family doctor who believed that antibiotics were most effective and started me on Stievamycin (Mild) with Tretinoin (topical retinoid) and Erythromycin (the antibiotic) after using Clindamycin (which was unsuccessful). It is a clear gel with a very strong alcoholic odour that stung my eyes when i put it on. I followed the instructions as usual but i also used an AHA toner at night to ease the severe scarring I had. I applied specifically on my cheeks where i had the acne. It definitely burned my skin a few times and made it very sensitive but i started seeing results around 5 months later. It is no miracle worker but it definitely helped stop larger acne lesions. I would get occasional breakouts consisting mostly of whiteheads and blackheads around my period but other than that my acne was relatively under control. My biggest mistake was definitely stopping using the medication because of the burning and dryness it gave my skin at that point because i completely ignored the fact that it is an antibiotic. My doctor didn't warn me to use it continuously. Studies have shown that acne is becoming more and more resistant to erythromycin and other antibiotics. My acne has returned over the course of two to three days but I am not sure whether the cause is resistance or other things that have been going on recently such as stress, poor diet and trying out new product (the least likely of the reasons listed). The retinol within the topical treatment was definitely beneficial to scarring and acne. I will test whether i have become resistant to erythromycin by seeing my doctor and going back on the treatment. When using this treatment be very careful when cleansing to not use anything overly drying. Overall it did significantly improve my acne for a period of time but my doubts are still at large.