Veteran Member

Silver Reviewer
Reviewed at least 10 products

Recent Profile Visitors

9,153 profile views
Not as great as I thought it would be
on 05/07/2016
People were praising this product for a while, so I gave it a shot - unfortunately, I found that it was way too light to accompany a regimen consisting of regular BP use. It didn't fight flakes very well, and given how runny it was, it was like putting water on the skin. The price is a bit much for the size of the tube, and how much you have to end up using. It was also surprisingly shiny, considering how thin and runny it is.<br/>I can imagine this would work well for people who don't use much in terms of topicals, and have only slightly dry skin - but if you need a good, solid moisturizer that will offset the drying effects of BP / topical retinoids / heavy exfoliating, go with something like CeraVe or Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion.
Great moisturizer
on 05/07/2016
I'm surprised this one doesn't have more reviews on here - this is one great moisturizer!<br/>Back when I used the Regimen 2x a day, I found that this was one of the only moisturizers that didn't cause extreme burning when mixed with BP. It was able to fight flakes extremely well. Also, it definitely does moisturize for 24 hours like the packaging says - nowadays, even after washing it off in the evening and applying BP (no moisturizer) overnight, when I wash my face it the morning my skin is nice and plump instead of thin and dehydrated.<br/>It is kinda heavy, but it doesn't leave you with a obvious shine for the rest of the day like the Cetaphil lotion does. And despite its relative heaviness (compared to something like CeraVe), it's fine to use on the face.
Doesn't seem to do much for me
on 05/07/2016
I went into D3 thinking that it would be a good addition to my existing skincare regimen. I was cleansing 2x a day, using Dan's BP at night and moisturizer in the morning. My acne was more or less controlled, but I was always fighting 2 or 3 deep, painful pustules at any given time.<br/>The first time I took D3, I took it with fish oil. I noticed a surge in my libido that may or may not have been attributed to the D3. I noticed that over the span of two weeks, remnants from old pimples and red marks began to swell up. One, that had been just a small dot near my right eyebrow, grew to enormous proportions. As soon as I discontinued D3, the swelling subsided. D3 also made me break out around my mouth and near my ears.<br/>I tried D3 several more times, once on its own (no fish oil, as that seemed to exacerbate breakouts) and once with Vitamin A. Each time, it led to my existing pimples swelling up and caused me to break out around my mouth. Another symptom was red, scaly patches that appeared near my temples and on my upper eyelids. The higher the D3 dosage, the sooner these symptoms surfaced.<br/>There were no obvious positive effects - my skin stayed oily, any improvement in mood might have been placebo. I was, of course, disappointed that it didn't work for me as it had for so many other people, and I still think everyone should give D3 supplementation a shot, especially if they spend a lot of time in areas where the sun don't shine.
Didn't cure my acne, but did make it more manageable.
on 30/06/2016
I was on Accutane for about 8 months, from 2013-2014. Like many others, I had a terrible initial breakout that pushed a bunch of gunk to the surface of my face over the span of 2-3 weeks. I would wake up in the morning, and my breakouts would look completely different from the night before, because of the rapid rate at which Accutane was working. After the first three weeks, the breakouts slowed, and I started dealing with bigger, deeper cysts that would take about from a couple weeks to a month to go away. At some point, my derm put me on bactrim to help with the cysts that were still lingering.<br/>Once my course was over, my skin was pretty close to perfect. I had no more oil, no more breakouts - good times! My skin stayed clear for about three months, and after that it gradually began reverting to its previous state. At the time of this review, it's been about two years since my accutane course... my skin is super-oily and I have about 5-10 cystic types and 10-20 comedonal pimples on my face at any given time.<br/>Accutane did have some positives for me. It managed to clear my back for the most part, and I'm still at the point where I don't really need to worry about bacne. My facial breakouts are also not as bad as they were pre-accutane.<br/>Unfortunately... given how much the course cost me, how much I had to put up with over 8 months (eczema, constant dryness and itchiness, headaches, flushing, etc), and how quickly my skin reverted back to being oily and breakout-prone, I'd say my first round of accutane was a bust. I'm still open to going on a second course, but not anytime soon.
Didn't work too well
on 30/06/2016
Unfortunately, doxy didn't work too well for me. I was using Dan's BP nightly before I went on doxy (had been on BP for about a year), and still had about 5-10 painful pustules on my face at any given time. I wanted to have something fighting the bacteria from the inside, so my GP put me on 100mg doxy / day. It took a while to notice any kind of difference, but about a month and a half later I noticed that I would only get 1-2 pustules on my face at any given time (along with some small comedonal stuff). I got excited that it was finally working, and for about a month I didn't worry about my face too much.<br/>Unfortunately, about 4 months after I started, my acne came back worse. My whole face started breaking out - not in cysts, fortunately, but in small, raised ones with white heads. I had about 30 of them towards the tail end of my doxy treatment. I also developed eczema / dermatitis around my T-zone, near my temples and under my chin. I realized that the doxy was doing more harm than good at this point, so I quit cold turkey. My eczema disappeared within a couple days, and most of my acne was gone within a week. I went back to having 5-10 pustules on my face, but it was better than where doxy got me.<br/>Basically, like with all antibiotics - this really is not a long-term fix.
Does a good job of cleansing without over-drying - no point in triclosan
on 30/06/2016
I used this soap for about half a year. It does a good job of cleaning, although it's drying enough that you'll need to use a moisturizer if you use the soap regularly. I didn't notice any difference in the amount of acne I was getting, unfortunately. I was getting big, painful pustules on a regular basis, so I figured if I had an antibacterial agent in my cleanser, I could kill some of the bacteria that was accumulating on the surface of my skin. Eventually, I stopped using the soap because I was afraid of using triclosan long-term, and after switching to regular Dove soap, my breakouts neither increased nor decreased.
Will make you look like a greaseball
on 30/06/2016
I used this moisturizer for about two years, back when I first tried the Regimen (2010-2012). It did its job, and kept me almost completely flake-free, even with 2x-daily Benzoyl Peroxide application. Unfortunately, the moisturizer never really absorbed too well. There was always a shiny film on my face. In addition, my skin would obtain a reddish glow whenever I applied this moisturizer over BP. Basically, my skin was moisturized and more or less acne-free, but it was also shiny and red. Looking back, I'm surprised I stuck to the same regimen for as long as I did.
Pretty bad...
on 17/07/2013
I was on the search for a new moisturizer that wouldn't burn my sensitive, BP-covered skin while at the same time keep dryness at bay. This wasn't the answer. Waaay to greasy to work as a day moisturizer: made me look like I dipped my face in oil. Stayed white on many areas of my face rather than turning clear, even after meticulous spreading and rubbing. Also burned my irritated skin. I waited for it to absorb and some of the shininess to go away, but it never did. I had to wash it off soon after application because this just wasn't cutting it. Might work as a night moisturizer for some though. Also keep in mind that my skin is definitely atypical in terms of how it reacts to moisturizers: I also had bad experiences with CeraVe and Cetaphil.
Go hard or go home
on 16/07/2013
I've been using Dan's BP on and off since 2010. All I can say is, it WORKS. If used consistently, it will MURDER your acne. The big stuff, the little stuff, doesn't matter. That's a no-brainer. However, be prepared to fight through the side effects: the redness, the irritation, the itching, the dryness, the flakiness. Don't content yourself with using the Acne.org Regimen products either: find products that work for you... listen to your skin. In the early stages of the Regimen your skin is going to look awful anyway, so use the opportunity to experiment. After a while your skin will get used to the BP. Once you are consistently clear, it is up to you what you do from there: many people have success scaling back on the BP, or switching to a night-only application. Some people don't even have to use moisturizer anymore. Whatever you do, just remember to maintain some degree of consistency: don't drop the BP entirely, and don't do something stupid like stopping cleanser / moisturizer entirely and just using the BP to "spot treat" once a week. Spot treatment isn't going to do you much good; the BP, once you've been on it long enough, acts as a preemptive strike against acne, killing it before it ever surfaces.<br/>Some people will complain about using such a harsh chemical on the fragile skin of the face. I agree, BP is a harsh chemical, even at only 2.5% concentration. But you really need to ask yourself: how much does clear skin mean to you? I've suffered from this disease for going on eight years now. I've lost the best years of my life and missed countless opportunities thanks to these hideous pimples that have decided to make themselves at home on my face. At some point you need to realize that enough is enough, you DON'T need to be a slave to acne, you CAN kick its ass and this product will help you do it. Grin and bear it, fight through the side effects knowing that once it's all over and done with, you will be acne-free... do you know how amazing it feels to walk around being complimented on your complexion? You will!
Burned my skin to oblivion
on 16/07/2013
Unfortunately this just did NOT work for me. Keep in mind that everyone's skin is different, and oftentimes the only way to know if a skincare is right for you or not is to try it. I was hoping this would be the answer to my dry skin / flaking problem (I had recently started the Regimen and my Neutrogena Oil-Free Combo just wasn't cutting it). Long story short, this DID moisturize my skin tremendously, and it left me with only a couple flakes around my mouth, instead of flake city. And this was only after one day of use. However, I had to stop using it almost immediately as it just burned my skin beyond anything I'd felt before (except maybe with Cetaphil). Prior to this product, my face wasn't really all that red or irritated, despite 2 pumps BP night / day for a week. Enter CeraVe. As soon as I put it on, it felt like acid melting my face off. My temples and cheekbones suffered the most. It wasn't the mild burn that a lot of people experience when applying moisturizer post-BP... it was the kind of burn that keeps you awake all night. Needless to say I was very disappointed, as this would have been a miracle product if my skin hadn't reacted so negatively. For many people it seems to work fine: I was just one of the unlucky minority.