Dan

Recent Profile Visitors

47,958 profile views
Being nice by giving it 3 stars
on 05/05/2016
I don't notice anything more "sensitive" about this razor in comparison with any of the other 5 blade razors out there. It is very irritating on the neck, like they all are. I ended up with red bumps on my neck. The Gillette Trac II and Gillette Sensor Excel, both 2 blade razors, are far less irritating on the neck.<br/>Also, this razor doesn't do a good job on sideburns at all. It's very difficult to get a straight line.<br/>I like that it pivots, but that's about it.
Second best razors out there
on 27/07/2015
These cartridges fit the second best razor on the market, the Sensor Excel. However, the Gillette Trac II is better. I recommend these, but for even less irritation and less neck acne and bumps, go with the Trac II.
Gillette Trac II is much better
on 26/08/2014
This is the same razor as the Gillette Fusion Proglide Manual Razor, except this has a battery in it and vibrates when you push the button. Regardless of this "technology" if you can call it that, this razor, like all other 3, 4, or 5 blade razors I have tried before, is far more irritating and does not give as close of a shave as the simple 2 blade Gillette Trac II, which is still by far the least irritating razor I have tried (with the 2 blade Gillette Sensor Excel a close second). The FlexBall really doesn't do anything to help "hug the skin." Save your money and get a much better shave with less irritation with the Trac II.
Gimmicky - still way more irritating than Trac II
on 26/08/2014
Like all other 3, 4, or 5 blade razors I have tried before, this is way more irritating than the simple 2 blade Gillette Trac II, which is still by far the least irritating razor I have tried (with the 2 blade Gillette Sensor Excel a close second).<br/>The FlexBall they have on this razor basically does nothing. It's a gimmick as far as I'm concerned. This razor is far more irritating to my neck than the Trac II and doesn't give as close of a shave either. Save your money and get a much better shave with less irritation with the Trac II.
Secret weapon
on 29/07/2014
Ok, yeah, I know I'm a guy, but since I run acne.org sometimes I need to have a secret back pocket weapon just in case I happen to get an imperfection of some kind and need to go to a big important meeting or be on camera or something. Luckily I rarely break out, and if I know something important is coming up, I'll use glycolic acid in the days leading up to the event to ensure perfect skin, but for extra insurance, I have a tube of this Almay concealer around. I've had it for many years and will basically never run out of it. I just unscrew the cap and touch the point to my skin if I need a little concealer. It's a small investment that has been nice to have around in rare instances. And zero times ever has anyone ever suspected I'm wearing makeup. I can get away with the light or medium shade, either one.
Did not work - dangerous
on 16/06/2014
I took oral antibiotics back in high school. I refer to them as a "bad joke." They did absolutely nothing for me. Plus, as more evidence comes out, we are vastly overusing antibiotics and creating resistant strains of bacteria. In my opinion, there is no place for antibiotics in acne treatment. Benzoyl peroxide kills bacteria much more quickly and thoroughly, actually does clear the skin, and does not come with the side effects.
Can't hurt
on 25/04/2014
I've read enough studies now that I am pretty convinced that supplementing with 30mg of zinc per day will help keep my skin clearer. It's an inexpensive and easy way to get a little extra insurance against breakouts and inflammation in the body.<br/>I'm giving it 4 stars because studies show it helps about 40% with acne symptoms. Placebo helps around 30%, so it's not a magic pill, just a nice little adjunct.
OK in a pinch
on 19/04/2014
This is the first 2.5% benzoyl peroxide I ever saw, so props for that. However, it comes in a very small .75oz. tube which means if you use it with The Regimen it becomes very costly. It is also cream based which makes it harder to apply than a gel, and also makes it prone to leaving streaks. The worst part about this product is that it turns white when you sweat which is embarrassing. It can be used in a pinch, but gel based benzoyl peroxide is far superior.
Seemed good but clogged my pores after 2 weeks
on 13/02/2014
A few people asked me to try this moisturizer so I gave it a go. Whenever I test products I do my absolute best not to change any other variables, so I just did The Regimen exactly, but swapped out Acne.org Moisturizer for CeraVe. For the first week it was great. CeraVe has a very light feel going on which is welcomed because thin products reduce physical irritation during application. It also looked fine on my skin all day and didn't make me shiny like some other moisturizers have. It also is very, very good at moisturizing. I could use only 1 and 1/2 pumps of it for my entire face and neck and stay hydrated all day.<br/>However, it has Ceteareth-20 and Cetearyl Alcohol prominently listed on the ingredient deck, so I was a little worried it would clog my pores. The combo of these 2 ingredients, which are very often used together, rank as a 4 out of 5 for comedogenicity (potential to clog pores and cause acne). Since I know it can take about 2 weeks for acne to appear, I just enjoyed the product for the first week and well into the second week. Then wham. I got some pretty bad clogged pores around my nose...both sides of my nose and under my nose as well. The look was a "thickness" to my skin, with the beginnings of what would be stubborn breakouts starting to come on. This is exactly what I would expect from a pore clogging product.<br/>Once I realized at about the second week mark that my skin was clogging up pretty badly, I stopped using it. That night I slathered on Acne.org AHA+ (10% glycolic acid) in place of moisturizer, and by the next morning I woke up looking much better. For the next 2-3 days I applied Acne.org Moisturizer mixed half & half with AHA+ and got my skin right back to normal and clear.<br/>I'm giving CeraVe 2 stars only because it does not work well within The Regimen and from my experience is not good for acne-prone skin. As a general moisturizer for people who are not acne-prone, I think it's great.
Nice 'n' gentle but has some issues
on 02/12/2013
This cleanser takes some getting used to. It doesn't feel like a typical cleanser and doesn't lather at all. Rather, it feels kinda like what water would feel like if it had a thicker viscosity. That's the best way I can describe it. You don't get that "ah, I've cleansed my skin" feeling. However, to adequately cleanse the skin, you don't need that feeling. As long as a cleanser has an effective cleansing ingredient in it (in this case Sodium Lauryl Sulfate), it will do the job of removing surface oils. Why they chose Sodium Lauryl Sulfate does confuse me a bit, however. It is the most irritating of the cleansing ingredients on the market. However, from the feel of this cleanser and how it does not over dry, I suspect they are using it in a conservative amount.<br/>My biggest problem with this cleanser is that the lack of lather makes it harder to glide your hands over your skin when cleansing, thus reducing irritation. I have to remain ultra aware of how hard I'm rubbing when using it. When treating acne, you want to remain as gentle as possible.