Blogs

• Start a blog to chronicle your journey through your acne treatment. Or just start one for fun
  1. Latest Entry

Back to feeling crappy again today :( 

Seeing dermatologist tomorrow so I will talk to him and hopefully the appointment goes according to plan! 

entries
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

Skipped a day because skin was pretty much the same. I noticed that I don't have any huge pimples on my cheeks anymore but i do have a lot of those flesh colored bumps and small whiteheads all over. My forehead still has those 4 huge pimples on it though ugh. I wish there was a magical way for them to be gone by Thursday because it's my cousins graduation. Oh well, one can pray and hope lol

2. I seem to have been blessed with the ability to not let the few comments I've heard about my skin remotely effect my self confidence since my first breakout 18 months ago. In fact, I've actually been described as cocky or arrogant more times than I have spots so I could probably afford to lose a little confidence. It could just be because I'm so positive I don't get dragged down by negative comments or maybe I simply have a very thick skin (lol) so I'm not bothered. Whatever the reason is, I've never let negative comments get me down; until now.

Up until this point my dermatologist has suggested multiple times that I try Accutane but I have always been hesitant due to the many horror stories and restrictions that come attached to this drug. I mean, what if I want to become 17 year old pregnant guy in the near future? If I start taking 'Tane that dream will never be a reality unless I want to end up with a child that looks like I made it with a close relative (yes, that was an incest joke). However, due to one poorly thought out acne joke from a friend of mine in a group chat of 13 people I changed my mind. The impossible guy-babies can wait, this issue needs to be sorted out now.

Now you may have totally different reasons for wanting to go on Accutane. Perhaps you were (or still are) getting bullied for because of a few spots. Or maybe you just have a weird fetish for shedding your skin in a snake-like fashion (whatever floats your boat). The reason I'm finally taking this drug is to eliminate my only real insecurity. A number of things may happen after this experience: I could become very humble and thankful for not having any other health issues or I could simply implode into a huge black hole of arrogance (and hopefully suck my stupid joke-making friend in to!). Whatever the outcome, follow my blog over the next few months to find out. The Accutane train has left the station.

entries
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

Day 3 of the same routine.

Well, I guess a couple things have changed. I've stopped adding tea tree oil to my moisturizer. I bought some acne vitamins (acne.org reviews here). I took the first pack today. Oh, and I've unintentionally haven't had dairy in 2-3 days. 

My face is a little better today but there's a long way to go. Plus, anytime I think it's getting better, new pimples arrive so--not counting my chickens before they hatch or whatever.

There are a lot of end-of-the-semester social events going on right now, and I'd really rather not go. :(

entry
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

Because this is acne.org, you probably know already what this post is all about.

I’ve been lurking in this site for a year now and it helped me quite a lot to understand my condition. And it also made me realize that I’m not alone in this battle.

I am Asian (just so you know) and I’ve been struggling with acne since when I was 15 and I have on and off relationship with acne. I’ve been battling it for 6 years now. I never really talked about how my acne made me feel and how it affects my life to anyone, not even my parents. Well, I tried to once but they shrugged it off saying that I shouldn’t make a big deal out of it because, well, it’s just “acne”. It’ll go away. Somehow. Someday. But it didn’t.

In retrospect, I wasn’t really the type who cares about how they look. I never really paid attention to my appearance. That was when I had a clear face. My first pimple was during my junior year, it was a large, cystic, puss-filled helluva pimple on my nose and I remembered one of my classmate saying it was “gross” and that I should pop it and all. But I still did not pay attention to it because it’s just one pimple anyway. But that ”single” pimple turned into “many” pimples when I reached senior year. Mostly on my nose and cheeks. That was that time where my self-esteem dropped from low to nothing. I couldn’t even look people in the eyes because I’m so embarrassed. So my mom decided to consult a dermatologist. He injected and popped my pimple and it was really painful. But I couldn’t careless, I wanted to be bumps-free. Haha. He said that the cause of my acne is genetic because my father used to have it when he was young. He prescribed me tretinoin and clindamycin toner and some expensive soap and I used it religiously. And voila! My pimples were gone. I finally had clear skin for a year till my graduation so I got lazy taking care of my skin because I thought it was gone forever. And boy I couldn’t be any wrong.

Just when I thought I’m free from all this acne-hellish experience, it visited again and it came back with a vengeance. It was before I entered college and it was worse than my first break out. This one was the “all-over-your-face” kind that you’d rather be headless than be seen like that. I remember having my ID picture taken and I looked like a zombie with a rotting face. Hell, zombies in walking dead looked better than me. No kidding.

I went back to my dermatologist and he prescribed me the same medication. I actually thought it would help me again but it made my already acne-infested face worse. It made my face red and my pimple worse. So I stopped using anything. I stopped caring and clung to this hope that “this, too, shall pass”. Like my parents always told me when I try to complain to them. I endured all the remarks people told me on my face about being gross and ugly. Good thing I had some good friends who didn’t judge me. But I can still remember how low I felt during those times. I always cried myself to sleep. I couldn’t bring myself to look in the mirror because all I see was how monstrous acne made me looked. It affected me so much that I couldn’t even bring myself to attend classes anymore. I cut classes and stayed at home. My parents didn’t know about it because I knew that if I tell them they wouldn’t understand how much courage it takes to expose yourself to everyone looking like that and spend your whole day being judged by everyone. Because everyone thinks they are entitled to treat anyone with flaws like shitbags. And I ran out of courage. I couldn’t last a day without one person or two calling me “ugly”. I felt inferior. I felt alone.

Acne affected not only my grades and social life but destroyed my confidence entirely. I used to have tiny spot of self-esteem and acne was like a bomb that destroyed what’s left of it. But it gave me a different perspective about life; about everything, actually. I learned that your appearance will affect how people will treat you. You may think I’m just saying this because I’m a ugly-bitter hag but trust me, that’s the ugly truth. And I learned it the hard way.

It was during my second year of college that I was able to just accept my fate and just live with this acne. I was able to ignore every ridicule from my surroundings and live my pathetic life. Haha. I only treat my acne with toothpaste and some lemon juice. It didn’t do much but that’s all I’ve got. And I got traumatized by my money-hungry dermatologist with his expensive treatments that no longer worked for me. My face was red and bumpy and cyst-filled all over during those times. I wish I had pictures to show you how worse I looked but I had phobia with cameras back then hahaha. I used to have short hair back then and a classmate of mine always called me “snowhite with pimples”.

Then my cousin from Australia introduced me to proactive. She came to Philippines for a short vacation and was horrified with my face when she saw me, adding my very nice brother’s remark that “there’s no help for her”. Well I’m pretty much numb already so I didn’t care that much. She told me that she suffered from acne herself and gave gave me her set of proactive. And I used it because wth I have nothing to lose anyway. And like some kind of miracle it worked for me. Except from occasional few pimples and acne marks, my face, for the first time in years, looked okay. I used it routinely until summer of my second year. During that time I was completely clear of acne with just few acne marks left. I wanted to get rid of the marks so I searched online and I found a very cheap product that has Hydroquinone-Tretinoin combination called “rdl baby face”. By using the right amount, it worked wonders for my skin. My friends, classmates and mostly everyone around me noticed how my face improved and compliment me. It was the best feeling.

I was in my 3rd year of college then and I had clear skin. I started really taking good care of my skin. I felt normal. People started treating me normal. I gained a lot of friends. Some people even called me pretty. But I didn’t feel that way. Acne had left me emotionally scarred.

After a year of clear-faced life, my acne came back. again. My topical medication stopped working. No surprise there, though. My acne loved me so much it couldn’t afford to leave me forever. Hahaha.

This time, it wasn’t that worse. I just suffered from moderate acne. Probably because I was in so much stress with academic stuff and I had my internship. Too much stress plus no sleep. A perfect recipe to make a  pizza-face. Lol. I research more to try to understand my acne. I used neutregena, Clearasil and a bunch of other facial cleanser, to no avail. I muster some courage and convinced my mom to bring me to another dermatologist and she prescribed me antibiotics and erythromycin gel. It didn’t do anything. I was back to zero. I remember looking at my pictures when I had clear skin and cry. I was depressed, stressed and had low confidence again.

Then I stumbled upon this website and I learned about benzoyl peroxide. The same bp in proactive that cleared my face once. So I followed the acne.org regime and I was able to maintain my acne since then. I still have few pimples on my face and a few breakouts but all in all it wasn’t that worse compared to before. My acne is a persistent type. But I became an expert with this kind of thing I can pass as my own dermatologist.

I decided to make my first ever blog because I want to document everything from now on. And if I ever manage to find a regime or a permanent cure for acne, I’ll post it here to be of help to others having the same problem as mine.

And yeah I figured my first entry is too long but this is my first blog about acne and I want to be as detailed as I can about what I’ve been through.

It’s been a hell of a bumpy road for me. No pun intened.

3. Hi , this is my 3 month update. I've been on accutane for 90 days now. I was on 20 mg per day for first 2 months and past month I was on 30 mg per month. The improvement my skin has made sometimes blows me away. But I'm so paranoid about my skin. And I don't think that will ever stop. I can't remember a day where I didn't wake up with a big huge painful red pimple on my cheek. Until recent days , and it's never felt so good. I can't wait to have more and more results. Anyone on there first or second month , keep pushing through it gets better much fast then you can ever except. 
    image.jpeg

entries
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

I currently have a ginormous cyst on my chin. -_-
    I look like a witch.

4. So, I know the GP gives out Aveeno here for Eczema because my little one had it as a baby. I got some on Friday from my local chemist for less than £5 and by today all the dry skin on my arms and hands has totally gone. Amazing. Can not recommend it enough!

WIN_20160523_18_33_52_Pro.jpg

entry
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

A few new breakouts. However, my left cheek seems to be in the process of clearing up. Some dryness by the chin area.

entry
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

What do you say or do when people point out a big cyst or pimple..advice?

entry
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

So I went to a dermatologist and was prescribed doxycycline. I have been taking it for 1 month and while there is improvement, I am still getting cysts. I cannot take it anymore! I don't understand why I am still getting cysts, and was wondering how many months it takes for the cysts to stop coming? Anyone who has taken doxy, I would love to hear your experience with it!

entry
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

This is my update after completing my first week on the Acne.org regimen. Before starting the first week I had about 4-5 cystic acne pimples along my jaw on the right side of my face, and the left side was relatively clear. I had a few small blemishes on my forehead also. The first day, my skin felt very dry and itchy. When I woke up for day two, I could see my pimples flaking up as if they were literally being dried up. This gave me a lot of of hope, and by day 3, the majority of my acne pimples except for my cystic acne had reduced in size. On day 4, I got another outbreak, with most of the acne being cystic in nature. I was very disappointed because they were huge on my face, but on day 7, most of the outbreak had also subdued. I'm now on the third day of the second week. Week 2 update to come soon. 

5. Back at the derm's today. Saw the nice consultant rather than my usual one today (not that my usual one is horrid - just more 'mechanical' rather than caring).
    I wasn't entirely honest about how exhausted I am and the extent of my bruises.. I just didn't want them to say I had to stop or anything and my blood tests are all fine so guessing it's nothing serious and it's nothing that I can't cope with, I just seem to stay awake in the evenings!
    I did have a lovely talk with a young girl who seems to be there every time I go. It was good to talk to someone who is going through the same treatment and has the same insecurities etc, she is the first person I have ever talked to about it other than on here!

6. Latest Entry

Whelp, today is not fun. My skin is notably less red actually and my lips aren't dry, but the headache I have in crazy. Its so bad I haven't taken my dosage of Claravis today because I'm afraid of it getting worse. I'm going to push through and take it soon, but this stinks.

Symptoms: Painful and demotivating headache behind my eyes, some dryness on individual spots, one pimple dried out and turned into some kind of sore (lovely), lack of appetite. I also have a weird cough, I'm not sure if its from the accutane but its not great.

Diet: About a liter of water so far, a few bites of my roommates ham croissant, small green salad with chicken, half a blue gatorade

7. To make it through the day. Struggling to see the point anymore guys. I feel horrible and ugly all the time, I hate my skin and I hate my body. My joint pains worse right now getting xrays next week but I may need surgery.

So on top of having shit skin and shit feet like wtf? Why am I actually here? I don't know anymore  man, I do know I'm very very depressed though and feel like a burden. I've been using isotrex for 10 weeks now and it's done fuck all. I am actually considering a birth control pill. I'd take accutane if there was a guarantee that my joint pain would not get worse, but there's no guarantee.  

8. Latest Entry
    I can't believe it has already been eight weeks... I remember sitting on this exact website just eight weeks ago pouring through pages and pages of blogs and photos trying to see if this pill would work. I can see such a HUGE improvement. There still some redness, scarring and the occasional blemish but I have a come a long way in such a short time. Before, you could see my acne even under makeup. Blemishes, surface problems... nothing would even my face out. Now I just apply a pretty thin layer of Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation and I'm good to go. My confidence has sky rocketed. I know that pretty soon I'll be able to go make-up free. I don't have any pictures for this update and I am not able to take any right now but I will post some with the next. My routine is still the same but today I purchased some Micellar Water  (Jean Pierre from Ulta) and I might give it a try. I have heard only good things about it. I'll let you know how it goes :)
  9. I dont want to meet anyone because im so embarrassing. 
    My face is completely terrible.its look like sunburn but even worst. 
    The acne is still there and dont have any far improvement .
    I try so hard to stay positive but Im losing my patient :( 

10. Day 8
    Aches and pains have subsided. Break out on forehead and cheeks - but I know and accept this needs to happen. 3 cysts have formed on my chin around the area where there was one sitting there for months. Quite painful and just not very nice to feel.

Day 9
    Breakout continuing - noticing a few new blackheads pop up around nose area. Also noting that a lot of whiteheads are forming. Still finding that my skin is not drying up? Still very oily and so am wondering how long it takes for the accutane to properly kick in.

Day 10
    Am feeling quite down about the breakout today. It seems that each morning I wake up to a few more new spots. I saw my reflection in the my car window today in the sun and it was not a nice feeling! Am trying to let the initial breakout dampen my spirits - this is part of the process and shall pass.. Keep reminding myself this can only get better. Noticed small dry skin on the edges of my mouth before I went to bed - wiped these away and skin was generally okay after that.

Day 11
    Breakout is continuing - noticing that the spots are leaving behind red marks. In terms of my skin generally, have noticed that its starting to feel a little scaly however still oily. Odd! My lips are not overly dry but I am keeping them well moisturised with shea butter which seems to be doing the trick for now. Joints are very achey today but I am putting that down to a 5km run I did yesterday - hope the pain subsides soon!

Day 12
    The spots seem less inflamed and red today - I am hoping they have peaked and will now die down. It looks a lot worse than it is because there are small spots on my forehead, cheeks, chin and jawline. My lips are starting to feel more dry today, not peeling yet but just dry so I am applying plenty of shea butter. Something I noticed today was that I last washed my hair 3 days ago yet my hair is not greasy! Normally it would be greasy by the third day but no, my hair looks as though I washed it yesterday. Hurray - looks like we are on to our first plus point re: accutane!!!! :)

11. Hello guys, 

Sorry for the super late blog! I am happy announce that I am on my last week of accutane! My course was 4months and I am so close to the finish line. My skin has been amazing with only a little bit of redness on my acne scars. The side effects I am experiencing are redness on my face, dry skin on face, arms and legs, feeling a little moody, and a bit of hair loss (this is minor, it could be tied with my change in diet).
    I am so happy with the results. Seven more days, just seven more days!!! then I can celebrate with a drink!
    I will blog again after I am finished accutane :)

Thanks for reading and good luck with your accutane course! 

-BubbleTea86

entry
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry
    ACCUTANE DIARY DAY 3

Dosage: 30mg, once a day: 1 pill 20mg, 1 pill 10mg.
    Symptoms: I have been experiencing rather uncomfortable muscle pain in my legs, stomach, back and arms. It is a sort of achey feeling that I have even at rest. I believe it is also related to my recent exercise (running) but it is much more intense than usual.
    No dryness as of now, but some sadness, and very brief headaches.

Skin: Initial breakout? I have three new pimples on my face, very red and painful: cheek, chin and forehead. I see no 'positive change' to my skin as of now, as is expected! Derm said that although people get improvement in the first month, it's not unusual to have to wait until the third.
    Thoughts: I'm really happy to receive the treatment. I feel very tired of my acne, I hate my face and cannot show my shoulders/chest in public as I am too embarrassed. I have hopes for this treatment...

- Sophie
  12. its been 6 months since i've made my post and i would like to say that all is good with the world and i still have clear beautiful skin with which i can frolic under the sun in a field of dandelions. But thats a fucking lie. Dont get me wrong, im ecstatic my acne is clearing up but now i have to deal with the acne scars.

Quick summary of my 6 months: acticlate antibiotics were great, finally kicked in the last month and cleared up skin and didn't have many scars so I visited family in a sunny area and felt great. anibiotics came to an end however and acne started coming back, so i panicked and went to my derm who said that i cant take too much acticlate cuz i could build up a resistance towards it so i should try either Oracea or Accutane. Accutane sounded scary, so Oracea first--> shitty decision, Oracea sucks, doesnt help at all, quit it after 3 weeks. Told Derm i'll try Accutane, but i have to take a month off antibiotics which definetly scared me. So i decided to try out the no-dairy diet i see online along with a mix of dan's regimen--->fucking amazing results, saw results in a week and was mostly clear by end of month. HOwever, i still had bad back acne and i hated the diet. I mean no ice cream, no pizza, no chocolate, no milk, no cereal, as a 19 year old?!! Lol, try being in college and not eating any of that and see how hard life can be. So with all that in mind, i decided to go on Accutane-->3 weeks in realized i made a big mistake. As bad as my diet was, I hated the inital outbreak Accutane was giving me. I thought i could handle it, but some cysts were bigger and whiter than i expected .....and then i got one abnormally large cyst on the front of my face. It was like a half inch big and felt like a sac of pus on my face. It literally wouldnt go away and kept getting bigger, so i broke down and popped it...suffice to say i have like 3 new scars on the front of my cheek and as the weather got sunnier, I realized i had other scars on the same cheek that i never noticed before. So i decided to stop accutane and just stick to the diet.

Its been a month now and its taking longer than before to clear up but im still getting good results. Now i'm dealing with the emotional toll of having scars and oh baby what a toll. A full year ago, I felt on top of the world both physicallly and mentally before the acne hit. Now i feel like im trying to scrape up the broken pieces and piece it slowly back together, albiet more broken and scarred but still something of value. Its tough realizing that I need to avoid the sun as it will reveal all my flaws and also make them worse as time goes on. Its tough knowing that as I age, my scars will get worse and there may come a point in time when life may get harder than it is now. Its also tough knowing that as someone with brown skin, laser scar removal surgery is an unlikely option for me. I love being in the Sun and being outdoors, I loved being considered attractive and I loved the person I was before all this. But I take comfort in having friends who have the same issue as me , some with much worse scars than mine and yet found ways of enjoying life to its best. Hell, two guys i know with heavy scarring still go out in the sun and get cute girls. It would be a disservice to myself to just let this ruin my life. There are worse things that I will (hopefully) never come to know. Life can be very cruel and Ive only had a taste. SO this summer will the summer that I will get my shit together and be the best kind of person that I aspire to be. I'm gonna finally get started on my dreams to be a writer which i've put off for far too long, I'm gonna get back to flirting with girls, I'm gonna enjoy my life again and hopefully someone reading this can feel the same way. I'd love to hear your thoughts and how youre dealing with your struggles. Hopefully ,we can make each other feel better. :)

entries
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

Hi people:
    I´m here to tell you how my second week on Accutane was. I have noticed a weird pain in my ribs, and I have read online that quite a few others have suffered from this side effect while on Accutane. I´ve also noticed dryness on my nose, near my mouth and on my lips mainly. As for the acne, there is nothing new to report, it still looks the same. I had two nose bleeds this week, at least I was home when they ocurred, but you know you´re taking a harsh drug when this happens haha. 

entries
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry
    UPDATE WEEK 4! 

POSITIVE NEWS! So in the last week, I have seen slight differences in the condition of my skin. Arguably, it is too quick to judge whether this is due to the isotrex or another factor such as improving weather possibly? However, the most stubborn patch of acne on my cheek which had been persistent for around 3 months has flattened! Redness remains and has possibly worsened but I see this as positive, as cysts are no longer as inflamed, they are closer to just being scars or post acne marks, and as anyone with acne will know scars are preferable to spots as it means the acne is no longer the primary problem. 

I went out last saturday night so i used bp last week on my forehead to ensure some improvement in the closed comedones would be seen so i wouldn't feel too embarrassed, but now I'm back to using isotrex on this area twice a day. I'm hoping my forehead will adjust like my cheeks, chin and nose have done. Also, I'm about to enter my exam season so I'm prepared to purge!! 

My comment on the initial breakout - now I look at photos of my skin from the last few weeks - i can notice how it was significantly worse. But i feel as though all the nasty build ups of sebum below my skins surface, surfaced and have now been treated. I have also read that isotrex gel actually has a long term benefit as a retinoid which hopefully will close pores and reduce the size of sebaceous glands or their effect (don't quote me on that exactly) but I have read the effect of isotrex is more of short term struggle for a long term solution than topical creams like bp. Hence why I gave up with bp. 

So I will keep updating this blog!! Please feel free to ask questions x
  13. Skin Update: My skin seems to be okay today, the dry patches are getting somewhat better and a lot of redness is gone. Tried not to pick a lot today, but it was pretty hard resisting the bad habit. The area I'm most concerned about is my eyebrow area. I often get a lot of white heads between the brows and the redness really bothers me because it affects my appearance more than usual. People are drawn to the eyes and therefore drawn to my acne. I usually cover it up with some concealer, and you can hide the redness, but you can't hide the texture of the skin. Hoping the prescribed meds will kick in soon.

14. If you have chronic acne, you know that walking down the face care aisle can be a nightmare. There are only 12,000 choices when it comes to acne wash and so much conflicting information surrounding acne care and products. It can get really confusing and to be honest, I’m still not sure what’s “right” and “wrong” for my face.

In high school, antibiotics did the trick, but I think they destroyed my stomach. In college, apparently lack of routine and living on pasta was working for a while. When I began having regular flare-ups again in 2011, I went back to my trusty salicylic acid wash and would sometimes use a moisturizer, but barely. I went back on antibiotics which did nothing. I used tretinoin cream sometimes. I had no pattern and would try and attack my acne only when it flared. I kept that up until this past November when I began breaking out in moderate cystic acne for the first time in my life. That’s when I went crazy with new product fever.

I’ll admit…I’m a total Google whore. I research and research about acne, health problems, diet fads, etc. until I come full circle, only to forget what I was looking for in the first place. Here’s what I’ve tried/learned in the past 7 months:

OIL CLEANSING METHOD: Around Thanksgiving, I read that it was super fabulously awesome to slather oil all over your face. Theory is that oil attracts oil and will make your dirt, grime, and acne come to the surface. I looked up tons of different oils—which ones were best for acne, which ones helped fade scars, and which ones gave you x-ray vision and the ability to fly. Seriously, the oil world is full of weird claims and it’s ridiculously hard to figure out what’s correct. Organic, cold pressed, FDA approved, from local farms, etc. There are so many factors.

Once I found some that were “acceptable” according to all of the articles I compiled, I jumped right in. I would massage the oil for a few minutes, steam my face with a hot washcloth, then wipe off. Seems simple, right? It was a pain in the ass. I kept thinking my face wasn’t steamed enough so I would steam it 2-3 times and before I knew it, the OCM was taking at least 15 minutes. In total, my whole nightly routine was at least an hour long. I tried bringing the oil into the shower with me, but as we all know oil and water don’t mix. It made my shower super slippery, I needed to buy special microfiber washcloths, I had to keep my oil refrigerated, it was super expensive, and drying my face out, so it was still a pain in the ass. I noticed that my cysts were a little smaller and less red, so I decided my acne was probably due to some wacked hormones that were finally chilling out (I was wrong about the chilling out part, by the way). I stopped the oil cleansing method about a month in.

GOING BARE MINIMUM: After the oil cleansing, I decided that maybe makeup was clogging my pores. My skin wasn’t as bad as it was the month before, so I thought I could hang tough and deal with a naked face. At this point, I also said “Screw products” in general and washed my face with only water in the morning and cleansed with a gentle cleanser at night. This did absolutely nothing. I still had acne, it progressively got worse, and I was embarrassed to go without makeup every day. I went back to covering my zits and washing my face morning and night.

CLEANSER: Cleansers are confusing. Some have fragrance which is usually very bad for acne. Some have salicylic acid which some say is too drying and harsh and then some dermatologists treat it like a necessity. There are creams and lotions and medicated scrubs. As far as I still know, the best cleansers for your face are fragrance free, gentle or mild, and contain no harsh scrubbing beads.

MOISTURIZER: It always seemed to go against nature to put lotion on a greasy, clogged face. But as I’ve learned, moisturizer is so important. Up until a few weeks ago, I used the Cetaphil moisturizer. It was whatever. It did the job, but my face still wasn’t improving. Once I went on Spiro, my active pimples decreased more and more. It’s great to get rid of those deep cystic clusters and white heads, but I am now leftover with post inflammatory hyper pigmentation.

The red marks all over my face make my actual acne look 10x worse than it actually is. Some of them are scars, some of the marks are still blackheads, but most are just red splotches from my dumbass popping and picking and prodding. What sucks about acne is that it takes for-ev-errrrrrrrr to heal and it’s horribly difficult to see results but still look like crap. I started researching on a skincare forum about different products and how to safely start introducing them into my regimin. I think this was my issue before. I never slowly introduced or rid of one product at a time, so I never knew what was helping and what wasn’t.

SUNSCREEN: I just recently read about the huge importance of sunscreen on the face, especially if you have acne. Not only is too much sun a risk for cancer, but the sun will actually enhance and darken the appearance of existing acne, scars, and red marks. No bueno. Obviously, all sunscreen is not created equal. I’m not about to smear tropical scented Banana Boat all over my face, so do some serious research on fragrance free, acne friendly stuff. Sunscreen year round is key. Cloudy does not equate to zero UV rays. I also read that sunlight through windows can worsen things—and of course I work at the front desk of a building made of glass. Wompwomp.

So, in conclusion of this way longer than expected post, do your research but be sure to not jump from product to product like I did. I really think bouncing from product to product and not slowly introducing new things made my skin far worse than it would have been by now. Be smart and go slow!

Next post, I’ll share my current routine and the pros/cons about it.