• Start a blog to chronicle your journey through your acne treatment. Or just start one for fun

Recent Entries

I am about to start Accutane in a couple of days and I couldn't be more excited and nervous at the same time. I already have a lot of scarring on my face and was wondering if any of you have used Bio Oil on your face while taking Accutane. I have heard wonderful, wonderful things of both Accutane and Bio Oil, but not a lot about them mixed together. But how amazing would it be to able to tame my scars and acne over the course of the 6 months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated; and not just with Bio Oil, any Accutane advice would be awesome! 

1. I am on my 8 th month of my 9th month course and my last blood test to get me medicine is on Halloween... and I'm breaking out so bad. I will attach picture. My derm seems to think it's Bc I'm so dry but I don't feel to dry. Evryday is getting worse plz help. I am aloud to stop this month and I think I might I can't take this. My skin was so good before... this month. What happened. IMG_4195.JPG

2. So.. one month in. I cant believe how fast time went by!
    I had my doctors appt 2 days ago and she told me to start taking 60mg per day since i havent had any side effects yet. Looks like my body is tolerating the drug so well!

Side effects:
    - lips are tight/dry but nothing too bad tbh. Im still on Carmex every 30 min / 1 hour (i dont let them dry, just apply whenever i feel there is not much product left on my lips) but i think next week i will try Aquaphor and see if i like it better, since i read so much about it.
    - no nose bleeds.
    - only 4 new spots (3 of them are cysts) on the right side of my face/jaw line but they are so small i dont really care. They will go away eventually. No IB so far.
    - lost 5lb. Very happy about it. But i dont think it has to do with the drug. I guess its because i cut out on the beer... i love craft beer and used to drink A LOT of it. so after 2 months of no alcohol, there is a lot of extra weight that goes away very easily.
    -no joint or muscle pain
    - no eye dryness
    -no hair loss (thank god!)
    - no dandruff anymore
    - very dry hair (yay! Washing it every 5 days now, and it still looks wonderful)
    -no more oily face (sooo happy about this!!)
    -no mood changes 
    - my face is sooo smooth! I think i see a slight improvement on the scarring. Nothing too much but its something.

So, overall, this first month of treatment has been great! I hope it continues being like this..

Recent Entries

When we talk about acne, we feel irritated because we know that it can possibly disturb our routine and make our life miserable. If this is an irritating point for you, make sure that you read the following tips and make the most of the best home remedies that are available at your home itself.

Grape Cleanser

Take a few first grapes, and you will be ready with a facial cleanser in less than a minute. All you need to do is to cut three grapes in half and rub it over your face and neck. This should be followed by a cool water rinse.

Cucumber face mask

Cucumber is one of the most effective vegetables when it comes to treating and if you like acne. For this, you should make a paste by blending a cup of oatmeal with a small cucumber. To the mixture, you can even mix a teaspoon of yogurt and applied easily onto your face. Rinse it with water after leaving it in the same position for 30 minutes. Is oatmeal is not on your mind, you can simply Mash one cucumber, strain the water and add sugar to it. This mixture should be applied and left for 10 minutes before you wash it with cold water.

Honey mask

A honey mask is a good option because it can be applied without any issues and the effects of the same can be seen almost instantly. To apply the honey mask, you should first rinse your face with warm water because it will help in opening up the pores. Then simply apply honey onto your face and leave it for 30 minutes on the skin. To rinse the honey off your face, you should use warm water. However, the process does not end here. You should then rinse your face again with cold water because it will help in closing the pores.

Oatmeal facial

We have discussed that oatmeal is an extremely important item for such issues and help you get rid of acne. The oatmeal mask helps in clearing acne with ease. All you need to do is to mix a teaspoon of baking soda with two teaspoons of oatmeal and had enough water to the mix so that it forms a paste. You need to apply the smooth paste all over your face and then rub your face gently. Once done, wait for some time and then rinse your face thoroughly afterward.

While thinking of such solutions, it is possible that you might even come across the number of readymade options that are available online. In such cases, you can instantly purchase them and get a discount if you choose a matching coupon code for it and also ensure that the product is delivered to your doorstep for free. It is beneficial for you, and so we hope that you will look forward to ordering at as soon as possible if that is the only option available for you.
  3. I have oily skin plus acne, I'm having a hard time understanding the difference in glocolic acid and salicylic acid and which is best for oily skin.

4. Hello Beautiful people, 

LONG TIME no hear, it's been a while since I checked in with you all. SO MUCH HAS CHANGED! The last time we spoke my skin had greatly cleared from using tretinion  and clindamycin face topicals.  (please read previous posts for more information).  Up until October 2016  I had stayed consistent with using my prescribed topical with the exception of a few months. On a couple of occasions I ran out of these products, therefore I did witness side effects. The only side effect I did notice was breakouts. my skin was breaking out in small "heat bump" like breakouts. ( I will post a picture). 

To help try to combat these breakout I started searching for new products that can clear my skin. Some of the products I used were: Shea Moisture, kiehls, and clean and clear.  Out of all of these brands my skin cleared slightly with Clean and Clear products. I stopped use of the other brands within a couple of weeks. 

In present day I am ONLY using Regimen products.  I have consistently been using the products since October 5, 2016.  It has almost been 3 weeks on the regimen and I must admit I do see a change in my skin.  Within the time frame it hasn't been a drastic change, yet there has been a difference in my skin.  I'm noticing that my blemishes are lighter, yet there has been a few pimples while on the regimen.  I have always noticed dryness, however  nothing uncontrollable. 

My plan is to continue with the regimen and hopefully achieve clear skin. I WILL keep each of you updated. 
    Feel free to share your regimen story with me and ask any questions you might have!  BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE UPDATED PICTURES! 
    Check out my Youtube channel for more about my acne story! titled- BeautyandBlemishes 

Stay Positive! Stay Beautiful!

5. watwatwat
    Latest Entry

been breaking out a lot these past few months. it's not as bad as before. thanks to benzoyl i dont think it will ever get as bad as before but it's been pretty rough. i just forgot how hard it was to walk outside wihtout being ashamed of my face. i forgot the feeling of having acne and it felt so good not having to care about my skin for so long. 
    im breaking out but mostly because of the pollution in this city and the stress of college. im gonna be okay though, hopefully. it's getting better. will post pics soon.

6. Wow its been month and half since I finished accutane

Almost all side effects  have dissapeared!  And acne has not returned at all!

Stick with it!  I will try and keep you all updated 

-It gets easier from here everyone, just remember

Acne is a major problem during the teenage years when our hormones are on the loose. However, after passing through puberty, some people never have this problem again, while others suffer a lot due to their acne-prone skin. The first step is to determine whether your skin is prone to various blemishes and what is their major cause. This will give you insight into what remedies are best for your skin. Nevertheless, you should adopt a healthy skin care regimen and you will be acne-free.

Skip Exfoliation

Even though exfoliation is a great way to purify your face, just a bit of scrub can make your acne-prone skin feel even worse. Restrain from using harsh scrubs, and instead just gently massage your skin. You can do this every day and it will get your blood flowing which is good for your skin and it can prevent acne. You can practice this massage with some gentle cleansers, but never use abrasive ingredients and pat skin dry afterwards.

scrubs Collage.jpg

Daily washing is essential to clean the face from oils and dirt that cause acne, but moisturizing is even more important. Everyday moisturizing keeps the skin hydrated and healthy, but you should never use moisturizing products that contain oils. Opt for non-comedogenic and non-oil products that will preserve your skin and won’t aggravate your condition. Also, such moisturizers usually contain anti-bacterial agents that will prevent acne.

Cleansing is important, but you have to avoid using harsh cleansing products. These will only strip your skin of its protective barriers and make it vulnerable to bacteria. Another thing to avoid is regular soap. Soaps have higher pH than our skin which leads to dry skin that overproduces oils and that leads to breakouts. Instead, you need something that will balance the oiliness of your skin while soothing it and making it smooth. Your best option is trying various cleansing products from Alpha H skincare. Also, products that contain anti-inflammatory ingredients will soothe your skin and keep acne at bay.

Eat Healthy

Diet has a major role in the quality and cleanliness of our skin. Carbs, sugars and oily foods only lead to increase of skin oils and the acne breakouts start. You should come up with a more balanced diet that is packed with vitamins. Fresh fruits and veggies are your best friends that have plenty of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants that will nourish your skin, keep it blemish-free and give it a natural glow. Also, drink plenty of water in order to get rid of all toxins from your body which will then stop piling up in your skin.

Natural Remedies

If your skin is too sensitive to creams and cleansers, your best choice are natural remedies. You can make all of these at home and treat your acne without aggravating them. Dip a cotton ball into a mix of 1 part apple cider vinegar and 3 parts water and apply it directly to your blemish and leave it to sit for 10 minutes. You can repeat this as often as you wish, just wash your face thoroughly afterwards. Also, you can make various masks with cinnamon and honey, or masks with milk or egg whites and get rid of the pesky blemishes naturally.

Hands Off

We all know how satisfying it is to pop a zit. However, zits are filled with bacteria that only spread on the rest of the pores and cause more problems. Don’t touch your face, no matter how hard it is sometimes; dirt and more bacteria is the last thing your vulnerable skin needs.

Acne are irritating and sometimes painful. They also affect our self-esteem and desire to get out in the world. Don’t let your blemishes stand in the way of living a full life and try some of these remedies.

1285680812_e1b1b02438 (1).jpg

8. It's been about a week and a half since my ProFractional Laser Treatment specifically targeting my acne scars. My doc went quite deep so the treatment was pretty aggressive (way more aggressive than I was expecting!)

I wish I had done more research on profractional before just going ahead with it. I didn't realize how much of a hassle the recovery would be. I looked pretty awful for at least 5 days and was constantly covered in greasy moisturizers and my skin was tight, a bit flaky, and a touch itchy at times as well. The first few days were uncomfortable due to all the swelling. 

The jury is still out on the results and how my acne scars will respond. Building collagen takes months so it might be a good 6 months until I see all the results. For now my skin is still kind of red and patchy in spots and has faint lines where the laser left grid marks. Hopefully my complexion will even out within the next week or two. 

Here's a video with more details if you are interested:

9. I. Diet

Eat Liberally: all kinds of vegetables, unprocessed meat, butter, coconut oil, spices, broths, liver meat
    Eat Moderately: processed meat, potatoes
    Eat Never: grains, gluten, refined sugars
    And of course, lots of water!

II. Lifestyle

Short 30 minute aerobic/anaerobic work out 3x a week
    Meditate 3-4x a week
    Sleep as early as you can! It's very important
    Stay positive :)

Simple and short. 

10. So this is almost the end of my 4th week. I haven't felt so good about myself for so long. All active spots on my face are dead now. All I have now is hyperpigmentation on my cheeks (which are fading) and a raised bump (like a cluster of dead cysts) on my chin that does not hurt anymore. 
    It took me so long to realize how detrimental diary can be to my facial skin. I've been off of any diary strictly for a week. No more new cysts in my chin area, chichis awesome. Although it hurts to not eat my favorite desserts, it is worth it. I want a clear fare more than anything and now I'm having a lot of hope.
    My face does not look nearly as crystal clear as I want it to be, but I know that this is already a miracle. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it would look like in another 4 weeks. 

11. So I'm 41 and German, English, Irish. I started getting my first Sebaceous Hyperplasias at about 27. Then about fifteen more within the next few years. So first thing I did was have a dermatologist freeze them. The liquid Nitrogen didn't penetrate any and so I tried later on Compound w Freeze away and a professional liquid Nitrogen spray and none could do anything but peel the surface skin a bit. So that myth is bunk. I will tell each method and experiences in continued blogs. Please share yours. 
  12. Alana1997
    Latest Entry

Here's where I'm at right now to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with and so you can see how far I've come when I post occasional photos, which I think I'll do every week or every other week, just depending on how much difference I see in the amount of time
    ALSO: I should note that I took these photos right after removing my makeup and slathering on my night cream which is why my skin has a sheen to it, it isn't normally that shiny and I know it looks oily in the pictures but I don't normally have excessively oily skin. It's just the cream on my face ✌✌

13. Homer1125
    Latest Entry

It Is now the 45th day of the water regimen. And I've noticed a big difference since I started the regimen. Here are the differences I've noticed since then.
    1. Less oil production(takes some time for it to work)
    2. Less inflamation
    3. Less pimples
    4. Pimples heal faster
    5. Cystic pimples are very rare
    6. Dry and dead skin patches
    7. Rougher looking skin(I heard that the regimen will take care of this problem if you stick with for about 3 months)

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

Ive been taking accutane for a little over a week now, I didn't start seeing any side effects until 7 days in actually. One being the one and truly dry lips... the other being what I think is the initial break out, I was hoping I would get lucky and not get it but it is  coming hard and full force. If anyone had an initial breakout when did they get it and how long did it last?

Ive been trying so hard not to use any spot treatments but I feel like im breaking and going to give in, Im trying to be strong.

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

It has been a while! I haven't been able to give time as I was moving and a lot has been going on! But I am soooooo happy to tell you guys that this works!! Bless the people who made this website!! 

I am in my 5th month and I don't get acne anymore. The last time I got a new zit was a month and a half ago. I can't tell you how I happy I feel writing that (knocks on wood). So to people out there who just started this or are in their early months...DON'T STOP. It will work. All you need is patience, which I know how hard it is to have when you have big bumps on your face!! But stress won't solve the problem. So relax and keep going!

I am dealing with the scars now, but they're getting better. Don't stress about the scars as they're never permanent. AHA is slow, so I don't know how much it's helping me but I apply it every other night.

Some tips I had which might help:

-If you're still flaking, try changing the moisturizer to cetaphil. moisturizer did not help me. (Although all their other products are brilliant)
    -Once you start clearing up try reducing the BP content. That'll help reduce the irritation
    -Eat healthy and exercise. Those things will definitely help your internal acne issues as you can't use BP your entire life. I really feel that diet change is a permanent solution to this problem so I am all into leading a healthy lifestyle so that I don't aggravate my acne ever again. 
    -Try acne supplements or supplements that'll keep your hormones in balance. I use evening primrose oil and fish oil and they have been amazing in regulating my hormones.

14. Today was my third dermatology appointment. I had my initial appointment, one at three months and today at 6 months. The derm was happy that I am no longer breaking out. He said I have to be on it for 8 months in total, not 11 like I thought so that's good.

I have worked out my cumulative dose. I am 9st 2lb which is 58KG, I have 8 more weeks to go at 30mg a day which is 210mg a week. From when I started to when I finish I will have done 33 weeks. You need 120mg a KG at minimal for permanent results. So...

120 (mg) x 58 (kg) = 6960 (mg) (total dose needed) 210 (mg) x 33 (weeks) = 6930 (mg) (Total dose)

It took me a while to get that haha! But I am very happy I will have just over the total dose required. Happy that I aren't falling short.

The derm said I did have quite a few red marks but they should be faded in 6 months to a year after I finish. I didn't think it would take that long but I can deal with that. I picked up my prescription and booked in for one more nurse appointment where I will pick up my last prescription in four weeks time! The derm said that is it now, I don't need to see him again as I won't need to. I asked what happens if it comes back and he simply said it wont. He said it is very rare that it does and he never sees anyone again, but if by any chance it does, I can be re-referred for another course. He stressed at me not to worry and be happy. He seems to be very confident in this drug.

Recent Entries

Latest Entry
    Week 2 of using Adapalene and Lymecyline.
    I have been using the Adapalene every night for 11 days now and taking one Lymecycline capsule every morning.

When using the Adapalene there is a well-known 'breakthrough period' which I myself am experiencing at the moment. I have found that every morning when I wake up after applying the cream, I have lots of small spots on my chin and around my mouth. This does obviously make it hard to persevere with a product that appears to actually be making my skin worse ! However I am determined to stick with the cream for at least 8 weeks and hoping to see some improvement by then....I have also noticed that my skin does feel quite dry and itchy after applying the cream.  

With regards to the antibiotics I don't think they have had any effect on my skin yet and again I'm aware that they may take up to 8 weeks to kick in. The only comment I can make about them is they do have a strange smell which is a bit cheesy and not the most appealing tablets to take, but I'm willing to try anything!   

I have also been doing some research on dairy products as I have recently noticed that when I drink milk my skin breaks out really badly! I have decided to cut out dairy products from my diet mainly including milk, cheese, yoghurts. I will be keeping track of my progress in the next few weeks!
  15. Hi everyone, 
    I wanted to give a final update to anyone reading this blog. My skin is basically 100% clear! The clindamycin and differin worked amazingly. I am so happy! I was lucky and really did see clear skin after around 8 weeks. So to anyone wondering if they should start differin/clindamycin i would highly recommend it. :) 

For girls out there i wanted to share the two best makeup products i recommend for acne prone skin. 

- Bare Minerals Blemish Remedy Powder Foundation
    -Dermablend Liquid Camo Concealer. I found that liquid concealers tend to look best! Sometimes you need cream for really stubborn spots though. this website is also a lifesaver if you're ever unsure if a product will break you out!

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

Clogged pores are mostly unclogged now. I am so glad differin has done this wonderful job of pushing the dirt out.

My breakout period is mild, but it has passed.

My routine now:

Morning - Wash face with tap water. Use cloth to pad dry. Apply hydroderma cream on allergic spot.

Evening: Wash face with Cetaphil gentel cleanser. Apply Differin. Apply hydroderma cream.

No I dont use sunsreen or moisturiser. Doesnt seem really need them.  

Allergic spot
    Initial breakout

16. Chris1234
    Latest Entry

End of week 4 update. I've been on differin for 1 month! I still do get break outs, characterized as red papulopustules but they resolve within a week. Some of them grow on previous lesions while others on closed comedones. Some closed comedones do not get inflamed, but just extrude a hard white sebum, like the comedone is pushed upward from underneath the skin.

I don't experience dryness or redness but my skin is super oily! I don't get much peeling except on area around my lower lip. 

Overall, to summarize my 1 month experience with differin i'm still getting breakouts every week. Honestly, for 4 weeks i never get rest period with my breakouts. Im happy though that my face feels smoother. The hyperpigmentation is still there. Some of the closed comedones are gone. I still have blackheads. They say it takes 2-3 months to see a clinically significant effect on differin, so im patiently waiting for that. So far i can say its definitely working however restoring my clear skin will surely take time.

Same regimen.
    I will be updating monthly from here onwards :)

17. My acne has decided that it didn't want to go quietly. Even though this summer it had improved substantially to the point where I could almost go out sans makeup, it has spiralled out of control this school year. This final pre-accutane week has been hell for my skin.  I've had quite a few flare-ups by my nose area, on my lower cheeks. They are red and angry, and no amount of makeup will cover them. I try not to think about my skin too much at work and school, even though I know that everyone can see my acne. Oh well. I took a few pictures-- some with flash, some without, one with bandaids on my face to keep me from picking at them... haha. Looks can be deceiving-- the lighting in my bedroom makes my acne look way less severe than it is.

This picture is from the 8th grade, and it is the only picture I can find where I had relatively clear skin. I might be wearing a little powder. Keep in mind that I had acne far before this, but I believe that I had just completed a round of doxycycline and it briefly gave me clear skin.

18. I had taken 80mg of oratane this week.
    On the first day,I successfully pop out two annoy blackhead on my forehead at night.Now still left one annoy blackhead on my forehead.
    My left cheek break out a cyst right beside my ear...
    My right cheek:
    Two close comedons broke out..I had accidentally hurt them when I washed my face so they beacme red of it I pop it (Derm asked me to do that) of it gone when I washed my face..I can see now there is more and more comedons transforming to pimple/acne.....˃̣̣̥᷄⌓˂̣̣̥᷅
    I found that after I pop them and eliminate the puss ...It heal up fast like two to three days then hyperpigmentation might take one to half weeks they will eventually gone ^ω^
    Only that those hyperpigmentation which didn't clear well are those that I didn't eliminate the puss...
    i order one blackhead clip online with the wish that i could get rid of them before they break out yet nothing work.....It made my face like more serious and skin peel off
    It is not as easy as I learnt from some videos..
    No serious side effect yet ....
    My hair and face still a bit oily
    Only that..
    my body acne getting lesser and dryer..
    My leg and body came out sone red spot all of sudden few days ago...Not sure wat happen...There is also a big red bump on my leg...It look like mosquito bite but it is look like cyst 

Forgot about my pic
    Nothing so much bother about my left cheek and forehead
    Right cheek :

Recent Entries

Actually, popping your treating these big pimples are easy especially when treated with proper care and treatment. There are many treatments available in the market, among which some would like to stay with dermatologist approved treatments whereas others would like to stay with natural treatments. Even if the urge is strong, you  should control the tendency of scratching your pimple and shouldn’t rush to pop every a pimple as it appears. Popping a big pimple before it is ready to pop can be very painful and also have a great scope to leave a permanent scar on your face. However, with the little bit of patience and some hand tricks you can learn to pop your pimples safely, painlessly and perfectly every time.

Here are the 3 best ways to pop big pimples painlessly:-

1.Know When a pimple Is ready To Pop

Never try to pop a pimple that deep in the skin, painful, shiny, or red. Instead, wait until you see a hard white bump on the top of your pimple. This white-head is pus gathering near to the surface of the skin that can be easily squeezed and popped. Popping a big pimple before it is ready will allow bacteria and debris to enter the pores, causing more pimples and painful infections on the other part of your body.

2. Apply Skin-Softening Lotion On your Pimple Overnight

Coating your pimple in aloe vera overnight can help soften dry, crusty zits  and making them less painful and also easier to remove the following in the morning. Further, avoid covering your pimple with oil based lotions such as vaseline, as these will clog your pores and create a room for serious issues.

3. Wash Your Face With Mild Soap and Warm Water

Clean the area around a pimple with a washed cloth and soap. You can use warm water to open up the pores and make a pimple easier to pop. The best time to pop a pimple is often night right after a hot shower as at that time steam and heat used to open your pores.