Blogs

Our community blogs

1. One week down and on the whole no side effects although today I had another wave of exhaustion hit me which is unusual so am guessing is down to the pills.
    My skin is extremely oily still and I can feel at least three new cysts trying to burst through to the surface one of which is really painful. I know that things are going to get worse before they get better but it's still disheartening feeling the old familiar pain...

2. I woke up today with essentially 3 new pimples. The nodule that I had injected hasn't shrunk much at all and is the reddest thing I have ever seen in history. It's the superbowl and I don't think I'm going to even go see my boyfriend to watch it. I'm so mortified about my skin. I've never had skin this bad. EVERY WEEK is new. New pimples, new scars, and a new hatred for myself. I think I'm going to completely stop spironolactone. It has completely changed my skin and now I can't seem to get clear again to save my life. I'm so scared for the next week. Every week of this school year so far has been hell for me. I'm so insecure, constantly going into bathrooms to check my skin, etc.  Tomorrow I am calling my derm AGAIN to have this cyst reinjected. I also have a pretty fun scab on my face along with the 4 or so pimples. Doesn't seem like a lot but my redness is so bad right now I don't even look like myself. What should I do? I am desperate. Should I stop the spiro? I am not gonna stop my regimine but I do think the spiro is whats causing me so many hormonal fluctuations and mood swings/depression. Also looking at my face causes me depression. UGH help please. 

entry
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

This blog is particular to just open up about my skin condition to whoever is going to read this. I don't like to talk about my skin in general to anyone but I feel like I need to get it off my shoulder. Maybe it will help me to stop being so obsessed with achieving a perfect skin in a particular time.

So let me tell you something about my skin. When I was around 14 years old I started to getting acne on my forehead. Not even cysts, just simple whiteheads. My cheeks were clean as a white paper! (yes I have porcelain skin). I really didn't care about it until some people commented on it. I didn't even realize it was showing through my foundation. Well okay then, hell started. For the past 5 years I tried every over the counter product to get rid of my pimples on my forehead (I'm 20 now). Nothing helped. I just left my skin alone until last year. I started to breaking out everywere. Not just whiteheads, but a lot of cysts on my cheeks, chin and nose. I got pretty depressed and I blamed food.. So what did I do? I started a very very strict diet.. Bad bad idea. I lost a lot of weight and I lost my period for over 6 months. My skin still broke out, but the cysts weren't as inflamed as normal. I had lost all power and I couldn't even get through the day. Even after 2 hours of school I was so tired I couldn't even stand straight up. I knew I had to eat more and that's what I did last december 2015. I gained all the weight back in a really short amount of time (thank you delicious holiday Christmas food).
    After Christmas break I got my first period of 2016 along with all the pimples that came with it. I gave up the hope in over the counter products and I visited my doctor last Friday. She prescribed me Yasmin and Erythromycin. I hope I'll get some fantastic results out of this and I'll update every now and then when I'm feeling like it. I don't want to set goals that aren't achievable, but.. I really would like to feel confident and beautiful in my own skin without layers of makeup on.

3. I have bought the kit (the wash, peroxide, and moisturizer kit) about a month ago and I started off using it with all three but when I got it my acne was not bad just the scars were, and then a blemish here and there. I started to stop using the peroxide and moisturizer because my skin didn't need it anymore and I just washed my face two-three times every day. Well lately (for the past week) its been getting super dry from using their face wash and that alone. Sometimes before bed I use ambi scar treatment cream, but if I put nothing else on after it started to peel. This has never happened to me before and ita just starting. Is it possible that my skin is changing its reaction to the wash? Anyone have the same problems?

4. What's up everyone?

Ever wonder what it would be like drinking on Absorica? Fun! Still not a good idea though. I was tipsy after 2 shots and was throwing up after 4. Usually I can handle around 7-9 without even gagging. I just recommend that if you're going to do it then make sure you can be responsible when your intoxicated; I know for a fact that I know of my surroundings when I'm schmacked so I wasn't too hesitant to give drinking while on the ol' ac pill a shot. 

Anyway, I first want to discuss some of the self-confidence issues I'm having when I'm at parties. If you've read my past blogs you'd know that my acne is around my chin area. It's so annoying to watch people look into my eyes and then gawk at my bumpy, yellow, immature, :( annoying chin. When guys do it I laugh but then I get to the girls and I just think, "if I was in their position would I want to kiss this?" and I always think no. I don't think I'm depressed or anything, I just wanna get this acne crap over with. 4 more months!

Still though, the lesson I learned tonight is that the acne barrier can only go such a long way until it's broken down by a person's kindness, personality, smile, and other meaningful human attributes. H

Hope this log helped any of you in a similar situation! 

Take Care 

-J

5. Latest Entry

Been breaking out lately and it's hard not to be discouraged. I think it's because of any of the following reasons or maybe a combination of them: a) pimples from my period which I had recently, b) Bio Oil, c) Retin A or d) my skin is just being shitty on it's own. I desperately wish I had my Banish Vitamin C serum to battle them for me! The hyperpigmentation on the right side of my face is clearing up nicely but I try not to feel too happy about it in case I jinx it. Yes, I know that there is no correlation between the two haha 

6. Latest Entry

This week is the third week, and I actually am seeing some improvement in my skin. The places that don't usually breakout (for me its my forehead) has gotten really clear. My left and right cheek is still breakout, but not as much. On Tuesday I picked on two pimples, but now they are almost healed, only that they left dark spots. Pretty much the healing process of a popped pimple is rather fast compared to what I had to go through. I am still flaking, but it is lessening also. This week should be the start of the week where my acne should be flaring up the most because of my menstrual cycle, but I am hoping that it is not too bad like usual since I am seeing some improvements. The only annoying thing so far is that I have to put on sunscreen everyday and it is sometimes inconvenient because I have to go to school, and so I have to excuse myself like 15 min before lunch starts to put on sunscreen, and I end up looking very pale afterwards and my my skin looked for flaky. My new sunscreen does burn my skin a little (just very little) when I first put it on in the morning, but then at the afternoon it doesn't burn.

7. after almost a year of using retin a, almost 3 months of using benzoyl peroxide and regular facials, i'm still experiencing breakouts. it's really annoying. i was legitimately clearing up during the christmas break but i honestly think that the pollution and stress i'm experiencing in manila is just freaking my skin out. anyway i'll try adding resorcinol and sulfur lotion to my regimen and see how that works. will update soon

8. Latest Entry

So...this isn't going to be the peppiest entry in the world due to my discouragement at the moment. I know I'm not even close to the 3 month marker yet, but I guess I foolishly hoped that I would be pretty far along three weeks in, far enough along to be comfortable looking at my face in the mirror in full light again. No dice. I know my skin is improving, but I can't seem to help feeling horribly disfigured, ugly, unwanted, etc. because I'm not yet where I want to be. Ughhhh.

The good:

• I seem to have been able to resolve the problem with skin peeling by applying petroleum jelly (Equate brand) on my face at night after adapalene and moisturizer. My skin now feels soft and smooth, and I'm no longer experiencing stinging when I apply moisturizer. However, I'm concerned the jelly may be causing additional problems with acne. I guess I'll have to keep researching this one.
    • I've noticed I'm having MUCH less of a problem with excessive oil on my face during the day. Prior to starting treatment, my face required at least one all-over blotting at work by 1-2 PM. My skin always felt greasy, and I was SO self-conscious about the shine factor. Now, the only part of my face that really needs blotting at all is my nose, and even then I would probably look passable even if I didn't blot all day. It's so crazy to be at home at 7, 8 at night with my makeup still on after a long day at work feeling like a normal human being and not the Prince William Sound after an encounter with the Exxon Valdez.
    • No facial discoloration at all that can be attributed to treatment. No bright red skin, purple blotches, or any other unpleasantness in that department.
    • I do have to admit that I'm not experiencing any cystic acne or large, swollen pimples on my lower face.

The bad
    • Although I'm not getting any huge pimples on my lower face thus far, I have had a few on my forehead. Right now, I have a few big ones healing on the left + in the middle of my forehead (I stupidly messed with them and made them worse, which is 100% my fault), and I'm hoping the breakouts don't get worse.
    • My face is starting to itch again, mainly on my forehead. This worries me immensely, since itching has been the precursor to breakouts in the past. I'm hoping this is just some ongoing irritation from the adapalene and not an indication that I'm about to look like a leper.
    • I'm SO goddamn upset about the persistence of the tiny white bump variety (the kind you can't really see until you stretch the skin) of acne around my mouth. To me, my chin is the most disgusting part of my face, so the ongoing problems are super devastating. It actually seems like the bumps have gotten worse in the past few days, and I'm praying this is just attributable to the hormonal wackiness associated with the start of a fresh birth control pack .
    • Still seeing some hyperpigmentation from previous breakouts that I'd like to see improve. This is something that will take some time, of course...but I'm impatient.

Briefly, I also want to discuss the treatment as it's functioning on my back. I've only recently started using the adapalene to address the acne in that region since I wasn't specifically instructed to do so by my dermatologist, but I figured I might as well give it a shot. Right now, I'm really breaking out - three major inflamed spots and tons and tons of clogged pores. I don't like it, but at least I can conceal the madness with my clothing. I'm going to keep to a modified version of my facial regimen on my back (adapalene + clindamycin lotion without any additional moisturizer) and see how things go.
      entry
      comment
      views

Recent Entries

Hello all, 
    I'm a 15 year old boy and I am about to start accutane and i wanted to document my progress, I'd love if you guys comment back to me about your stories of acne and maybe going on Accutane. I went to the doctor yesterday after having been on Solodyn for 14 weeks sadly it hadn't cleared my acne, i was still getting large areas of red angry bumps. I actually started to feel good about my skin and that it was clearing up but after a week of seemingly no new zits it started up with the breakouts again. I try not to let it show that my acne really really bothers me but it always feels like everyones looking at me and judging me, like i'm some two headed character from american horror story.  Finally im going on accutane, i just have to wait to get my tests back. I'm a little nervous tho after reading all the side affects but i'm most scared of it not working. If this won't clear my acne what will?! And how long is it gonna take? I wish there was a magical fix, an overnight acne pill that would give me clear skin. With accutane im not sure how long it's gonna take for me to clear up and I really am tired of waiting. On solodyn i was so hopeful but everyday i would wake up and be scared to face the mirror. On week 10 of solodyn my acne EXPLODED. It was the worst i'd ever had it. I couldnt even look at myself in the mirror and i hated the stupid pity party i threw myself. Will my acne explode again on accutane? Will accutane work? How long will it take? Please comment back and share your stories.
    Thank you if you stuck around to read this far (sorry it was long) H.F

9. Latest Entry

More inflamed pimples especially on my nose. Getting very frustrating. No matter what I seem to do or not do they don't go away. My dermatologist suggested maybe a low dose of Accutane. Any thoughts?

20160203_181326.jpg

entry
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

I am on week 1 of accutane and I am experiencing minor side effects similar to what I experienced during my first course of accutane (3 years ago).
    My side effects are: red face, dry lips and dry skin on face (forehead area and around my mouth). 

I am a little worried about how red my face is going to get because I naturally blush a lot and am starting a new job! :P
    When I feel like my face is as red as a cherry, I like to look at peoples' success stories of accutane.
    Just a note to readers: if you ever feel like the side effects of accutane, such as breakouts or redness, are making you feel self-conscious, just think of the amazing results you will get in the end.

I will be blogging again in the next week or so. 
    :)

10. i recently stopped taking the Yasmin. It had never made an effect on my skin and was causing too many issues. I stress too much about possible side effects and I never wanted to take it in the first place
    I havent had any new spots in a week, and overall the past two werks ive actually been seeing a decrease in red inflamed pimples (still blackheads and zits under the surface that you cant really see) after increasing my dose to 100mg however Im now experiencing side effects that got so bad I went to the ER bc i felt terrible. Everything came back normal thankfully but i was left still confused. Well I had low phosphates from peeing it out bc of the spiro.
    im getting:
    1. Chest pains bad
    2. Difficulty breathing
    3. Anxiety/depression
    4. Nausea/dizziness

the chest pains are what are most concerning. Should I stop the medicine? I dont know what to do. And i just got off birth control so who know how my skin will be in the next few weeks

entry
      comment
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

So after years of trying everything with mixed results, I'm finally starting Accutane. I am a registered nurse so I'm trying to go about this scientifically :) I had mild-moderate acne in high school that I got under control with a course of minocycline and topical Benza-Clin gel. While I was in college I was able to get off the benza-clin and had good control of my acne by using the 3-step acne line from Clinique. Then around my  25th birthday my acne came back with a vengeance, it was worse than when I was in high school. My skin has always been very oily and prone to hyper pigmentation also. I finally went back to the dermatologist and used Acanya (a benzoyl peroxide/clindamycin combo) and Atralin (topical isotretinoin) for a year that improved my acne some but not much. Then I went to a new dermatologist who had me take Doxycycline for 6 weeks and I used Aczone (dapsone gel) twice a day and Atralin once a day for 16 weeks. I had zero results, in fact my acne got worse. Here's a photo when I was near the end of that treatment. image.thumb.jpeg.6a126217472bc407efb3bf9

When I asked my derm if I could try accutane she suggested that I add some supplements to my diet and I also switched to a mixture of Cetaphil and CeraVe products (also recommended by my derm). So here's my current regimen:
    Cetaphil face wash
    Tea tree oil toner from The Body Shop
    Cetaphil oil control moisturizer in the AM
    CeraVe PM moisturizer at night
    Vitamins:
    Omega 3, 6 & 9 1gram of each daily
    Vitamin E: 400/day
    Vitamin D-3: 1000/day
    Vitamin C: 500/day 
    Niacinimide: 500/day
    Biotin: 10/day

I think once I start getting dry I may need to switch my toner to something more moisturizing and hopefully I won't need the oil control moisturizer anymore either. I've got the CeraVe AM moisturizer in mind for when that happens :)

I started on "Amnesteem" 60mg/day a week ago and so far I noticed my lips getting dry on day 3 and my nose and eyes started getting really dry on day 5. At the end of week 1 I'm also noticing my face starting to dry a little but not bad. Here's my starting labs:
    Liver enzymes:
    AST 16
    ALT 21
    Lipids:
    triglycerides 77
    LDL 84
    HDL 54
    total cholesterol 153

And finally Day 1 photos:
    image.thumb.jpeg.462c3ac90460c3fceda4086
    thanks in advance for the love and support! It helps a ton to know I'm not alone in this. 

11. Hey everyone! Basically this post is just going to be an introduction on me and my acne.

I am a teenager and have had acne for 2 years now. It's gotten consistently worse since it started as just a few pimples here and there. Now my forehead is covered in acne and hyper-pigmentation. My forehead is my main problem area but I will occasionally get acne on other areas of my face. Very rarely do I get acne on my jaw/bottom of my cheeks though. 

I went to the dermatologist for the first time less than a week ago and got my prescription. She gave me Tretinoin cream to apply at night and Clindamycin gel to apply in the morning, as well as oral antibiotics to take twice a day which I haven't gotten from the pharmacy yet (but I'll inform you once I get them).

My skin is pretty sensitive and dries out easily so I will start by applying the medication every other day and either increase or decrease how frequently I apply it.

I wear makeup every day just to hide my acne, and my goal is to have my skin clear enough that I feel confident enough without it. Along with that, I want to be able to go swimming at the beach/pool without being self conscious of my skin while trying to keep my waterproof concealer on my acne. Acne really does suck (as I'm sure everyone reading this knows).

Anyways, hopefully my future experiences with these medications will help someone else know if they are going to work for them or not. I'll try to document as much as I can.

Thanks for reading! :) 

IMG_7787.PNG

12. My acne has spread so quickly and once again, it is evolving.  I currently have three cystic bumps that are hard as marbles and red.  Add to that a dozen inflamed zits and you have one unhappy chick.  The cystic acne is not new to me but the sheer number and placement is.  I just can't figure out whats happening with my face......i just can't.  It's like i can't win.  In nine days i will officially be in my fifth month.....

13. Pictures for the full month are coming soon it's just I have so much to do and uploading and editing each photo is time consuming .. 

entry
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

I have 4 ziana topical gel tubed 60 g, never opened never used for sell. One gel is roughly $200, depending on insurance. My daughter is pregnant so won't be needing it so we are selling one gel for $20 or all four for $75. 

img_5439.jpg

14. Latest Entry

SO This is the fourth week into the process... As like my other posts I will break down this blog. 

SIDE AFFECTS: 

DRY LIPS AND FACE. I recently picked up this cerave moisturizing lotion and its like white goo. It works wonders. It works even better than than the medical moisturizer the derm prescribed. VERY DRY EYES RECENTLY. I've been noticing my eyes are extremely dry and they would water if I didn't put at least two drops of eye drops in each eye. In the hallway I would walk and it would look like I was crying but the eye drops have fixed that well. No more nosebleeds and also just getting off my period so that caused a few breakouts. ALSO I worked out with my mom yesterday and right when I got home I felt this pain in my hips and that's never happened before and especially when we just run on the treadmill. I'm assuming that its related to the medicine but it was not a good feeling. 

HOW MY SKIN IS LOOKING: A LOT of blackheads have fallen out but there are still a lot left on my nose but few on my chin and in between my eyebrows. Like i said I'm just getting off my period so I've had a few breakouts but nothing crazy. My skin looks decent. Like I said before my blackheads are definitely purging and becoming less and less. As for the zits, I have a little amount. I was just on my period so that causes breakouts for me. Other than that I've had a few complements that my acne cleared up and they asked me what I did. 

HOW I FEEL: I don't have any mood swings or unusual thoughts so that's good. 

I'LL CHECK BACK NEXT WEEK FOR ANOTHER UPDATE ON 2/4/16!

THANK YOU!

Gia ((((((:

15. Latest Entry

i haven't had a single pimple since the beginning of this month. my hyperpigmentation is basically gone now. i haven't been posting as frequently, because acne is such a far thought from my mind that i don't really have a reason to go on this site. :)
    i really recommend washing your face with raw honey. i think it has helped fade my hyperpigmentation significantly and nips any pimples that want to form in the bud. plus, it makes your skin so soft and moisturized. 

16. Latest Entry

Hello everybody!

So my skin is pretty much not changing a whole much. I'm still breaking out. I missed a few doses since I had a stomach flu, but plan on making those doses up in the future. My dreams are not as frequent or scary, but still weird. I am having trouble combatting dryness on the tops of my hands. This is like a constant battle and I've been using my steroid cream on it that I use on my eczema. Yesterday I cut my finger pretty badly so we will see how long that takes to heal. I have found that I also get knicks really easily on my hands. I haven't had anymore bad joint pain, it's mostly only after getting out of bed. If anyone has questions feel free to ask! Also, I won't be posting until either my initial breakout is diminishing or another side effect has changed. Otherwise assume that everything is the same. 

Attached are are pictures of my hands. 

image.thumb.png.c378012a69086d6a44497abcimage.thumb.png.050073ae3340e70a19821642

entry
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

I have been struggling with acne since I was about 15. I'm almost 18 now and my acne just recently got so bad that I couldn't stand anyone seeing me without makeup. This is the worst my acne has ever been. I cry almost every night because I feel so disgusted when I look in the mirror, and I hate having to put so much makeup on just to feel like I can walk out the door. I recently discovered The Regimen through YouTube testimonies. I was so excited to hear about an acne treatment that I couldn't find any negative reviews for! I ordered it right away and waited anxiously for it to arrive.

These are pictures from the night I started The Regimen. The first three are without flash, the next three are with flash. They are 100% unedited, and I am wearing no makeup. I will be posting updates as I go through this regimen and I hope to see results!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

entry
      comments
      views

Recent Entries

Latest Entry

In Feb last year I developed adul acne from a medication that changed my hormones and gave me acne. I tried over the counter acne wash, natural products, etc. I started getting micro-dermabrasion and nothing worked. A friend of mine told me about a product that I begin using in August of last year and 60 days later the acne was gone. Now I am working on fading the post acne marks. I was so happy with my results, I now sale the products.

17. It seems like my face is peeling a little bit less. I think it's been around 4 or 5 weeks since I started using Retin A Micro. I am using it 2x per week now (on the in between days I use nice moisturizers or tamanu oil). 

Just the other day, I noticed that the tone of my skin seems to be improving. It's hard to describe but it seems to be getting more even and maybe a touch of a glow to it. I'll take it! I am still getting random bumps here and there but nothing out of the ordinary.

I don't feel like I experienced an initial breakout but maybe that's because of how much better my skin is than it used to be or how slowly I worked into using retin a. I think I'll  continue to use it regularly but I doubt I'll ever increase the frequency to more than 2x a week. It's a harsh treatment and I don't want to overdo it or stress my skin. 

A note on my diet - as of tomorrow, I am taking the plunge into the paleo diet. I have read several books about the importance of diet and acne by Dr Perricone, Dr Cordain, etc. They all recommend a lot of fruits and veggies, no to little sugar, wild caught fish, watch out for dairy, don't overdo it on grains or starches, etc. The paleo diet eliminates grains, sugars, and dairy - all sources of inflammation to our body (which makes sense that it could help skin if you are eating anti inflammatory foods). I'm also hoping to lose a little weight as a bonus. I will be eating a lot of fruits, veggies, wild caught salmon, and healthy carbs like sweet potatoes or squash. 

I'll continue to track my progress and any side effects with the retin a as well as how my diet is doing and how my skin is doing. 

My Acne Story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz8HfhcCkw0
    The Craziest Acne Treatment I Tried: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlhsBCe0Zzs
    Every Acne Treatment I Tried: The Good, The Bad, & The Stupid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukQ1w8uo5Nw