Photo

How much does Retin-A cost?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 ThisSucks

ThisSucks

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:22 PM

My insurance does not cover it! and what can I buy over the counter that is similar?

#2 butterflies74

butterflies74

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

There is nothing over the counter that comes anywhere close. Don't waste your money! Go to CanadaDrugs.com and order from them - it's about $20 or $30 for the same tube that costs $100 in the states. (btw, $20-30 is what an over the counter weak pseudo-retinA would cost at a drug store!)

QUOTE(ThisSucks @ Jan 27 2006, 02:22 PM) View Post

My insurance does not cover it! and what can I buy over the counter that is similar?

#3 tj101

tj101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest. Order it from some online Canadian or Mexican pharmacy. It's the same quality, just lower prices. smile.gif

#4 ThisSucks

ThisSucks

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

ok im ordering it from canada

but what are the different choices? what is the % that doctors prescribe usually????? also there is a choice of cream and gel.... which one do i get?

or wait, the prescription slip says exactly what it is, although I cannot read it.. right? They say i will need to fax the prescription to them anyways so should i let them handle it?

#5 tj101

tj101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

0.1% is the strongest one. If you haven't used it before you should probably use lower %.
I can't quite remember why, but I think cream is better than gel.

#6 ThereIsALight

ThereIsALight

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:35 AM

i've used both. the cream is way better. i paid $42 for a tube but i got a discount from my derm's office. i got tretinoin .05% 20g.

#7 butterflies74

butterflies74

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:55 AM

yes, they have to fill it according to the doc's specifications on the written prescription, so....if you want a different strength either have the pharmacy call him/her or get another prescription.

p.s. I am a TOTAL RetinA whore - I have every single strength, one of which I choose each night depending on my skin's mood; but I never go to bed without it!

#8 ThisSucks

ThisSucks

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(butterflies74 @ Jan 28 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post

yes, they have to fill it according to the doc's specifications on the written prescription, so....if you want a different strength either have the pharmacy call him/her or get another prescription.

p.s. I am a TOTAL RetinA whore - I have every single strength, one of which I choose each night depending on my skin's mood; but I never go to bed without it!

how much has it helped?

#9 j.l.r.m.

j.l.r.m.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(ThisSucks @ Jan 28 2006, 11:22 AM) View Post

how much has it helped?

Yes, how much? And are you still drinking that toki stuff?

#10 xaviar

xaviar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:06 PM

bump

#11 butterflies74

butterflies74

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(j.l.r.m. @ Jan 28 2006, 03:50 PM) View Post

QUOTE(ThisSucks @ Jan 28 2006, 11:22 AM) View Post

how much has it helped?

Yes, how much? And are you still drinking that toki stuff?

oh, hey guys! I wouldn't have seen you here had xaviar not bumped. Ummmm....I honestly don't know if it's helped with the scarring (it probably has lessened mine, not eliminated it); but I love how it makes my skin look and feel. It also keeps acne at bay and is a powerful anti-aging potion!
I was on the toki bandwagon for a month & I'm sorry to report that I saw no appreciable difference. Sometimes I thought I had, but then I remembered that I have a scar on my left leg so I began to gauge the results based on that - ZIP! It's too expensive to experiment with - $200 for a months supply (from the manufacturer) - I bought mine off ebay from a crooked dealer, so maybe it was expired and thus ineffectual, but I just don't think it works (on scars, that is; some think it makes your skin "softer"- BFD!).

do you guys think that using tazorac IN ADDITION TO RetinA might help? They are both vitamin A derivatives, but different somehow. Also, what about copper peptides with RetA?

#12 j.l.r.m.

j.l.r.m.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the reply butterflies. (BTW are you male or female?) wink.gif

I use Tazorac and cp serum at night. I've done it for about 2 months now. My skin seems to have gotten slightly smoother and plumper, but the scars are definitely still there. I don't expect wonderful results so quickly though. There've been a few posts here about the wonders of Taz, and I'm hoping I have as good results.

As for using Taz and Retin-A together, I'm really not sure.

#13 butterflies74

butterflies74

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:22 PM

I'm a girl butterfly. Which copper peptides do you use? (does your college start with a "y" - dreadful little town you're in, darling...)

#14 j.l.r.m.

j.l.r.m.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:36 PM

I'm using the normal cp serum. I'm not convinced that the super cp serum is particularly "super" because it's just cp with a hydroxy acid, and I'm already using Tazorac. Now that you've mentioned using both Retin A and Taz, I might ask my derm about it. I think it was Shyana who said to alternate retinoids, because they probably have different effects on the skin.

A girl butterfly? Aww, I thought you might be a delightfully flamboyant boy butterfly. wink.gif

My godforsaken college starts with a P, and it's even worse than drubby old Y. It's been a loooooong dry spell... not that anyone needs to know.

#15 butterflies74

butterflies74

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(j.l.r.m. @ Feb 2 2006, 09:36 PM) View Post

I'm using the normal cp serum. I'm not convinced that the super cp serum is particularly "super" because it's just cp with a hydroxy acid, and I'm already using Tazorac. Now that you've mentioned using both Retin A and Taz, I might ask my derm about it. I think it was Shyana who said to alternate retinoids, because they probably have different effects on the skin.

A girl butterfly? Aww, I thought you might be a delightfully flamboyant boy butterfly. wink.gif

My godforsaken college starts with a P, and it's even worse than drubby old Y. It's been a loooooong dry spell... not that anyone needs to know.

Ha! I'm a Southerner - those precious and delightful boy butterflies learn their flamboyance, charm and wit from us, darlin' - BTW, you're on the WRONG end of this great country, my dear; for sheer eccentric exuberance and wildly bizarre texture of ordinary life, you've GOT to come down here! NEVER will you be bored - have you looked into Mardi Gras? You get to wear a mask, so acne and scars are no excuse for exempting yourself from the bacchanal...

got some copper peptides called Neova & ordered some normal & super cp serum; if they fail my face, I'll treat my feet. "Waste not, Want not!" Skipped to the derm's offc today for a Taz scrip & will start that experiment this Monday.....Have a fabulous weekend (if that's possible in your neck of the woods....).