Photo

Updated! Dermarolling Great Results, Pictures

subcision chemical peel microdermabrasion makeup dermaroll dermarolling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#21 paquita

paquita

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

Ha! This board has reached a new bottom

Now you cannot even tell people that they have nice features? I don't see what the big deal is. She is young and pretty. It is what it is. Most young people are pretty anyway. They should enjoy their youth because it won't last very long.

And I'm a straight female in her late thirties so I'm no biased in any way.

#22 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

Now you cannot even tell people that they have nice features? I don't see what the big deal is. She is young and pretty. It is what it is. Most young people are pretty anyway. They should enjoy their youth because it won't last very long.

Take a look at the Emotional / Psychological forum on here and you'll see what I mean.

There's nothing wrong with complimenting people. I just made the comment that this board is REALLY not the place to do it. It's a freaking acne board for crying out loud. Most of the readers are here because of a disfiguring disease they want help for. I'll bet you anything that someone browsing these forums stumbles on this thread, notices how many people are telling this girl she's gorgeous, and starts crying their eyes out because their acne is ten times worse and no one told them they were hot anyway. Is it rational? No. But I think we can at least recognize the purpose of this board and be emotionally sensitive to EVERYONE. The Hot or Not threads were banned for a reason. Even if someone doesn't tell you you're ugly, the fact that they DIDN'T tell you were hot is saying the same thing.

So yeah, I think we should focus on helping people solve the problem instead of telling pretty people they are pretty. That's all. If you want to hit on someone or tell them how gorgeous they are on an acne board, send a PM.

Completely off-topic, so I will not be commenting anymore on this issue and cluttering up this thread. I was just trying to, ironically, re-focus the thread from "oh my god you're gorgeous anyway, fuck acne!" to helping this girl fix her scars.

Edited by Green Gables, 05 September 2012 - 11:30 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#23 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

I guessill apologize then on my comment. It was just a natural thing for me to say from the bottom of my heart. Her scars don't change how gorgeous she is, in my opinion. Perhaps I should have said it in a private message,but I was just being real and honest. I apologize if I hurt anyones feelings that comes across this thread and sees my comment as biased. It was not my intent.

And another thing...if someone gets upset because someone got compliments in their thread and another person didn't, then that's childish in my opinion. I posted a thread with numerous pictures of my face, and not ONE person said I was good looking or any compliment about my features. Did I feel ugly or sad because I didn't get any compliment like that? Absolutely not. That's middle school behavior.

Anyway, best of luck to rockmeamadeus on whatever path you choose.

Edited by Murph89, 05 September 2012 - 11:53 PM.

#24 Thatusernameisalreadytaken

Thatusernameisalreadytaken

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:24 AM

Whatever happened to freedom of speech...it is childish yes i also would not get offended if someone was to not point out i was not hot on my photos jeez! . She is a very gorgeous girl so what. Jealousy comes across in your post very much so! Your creating something out of nothing.

#25 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

I second that. Posted Image She's a lovely girl. However, I understand that no matter how lovely someone says you are, you still want the scars to go away. They do so much damage to one's sense of security that it's hard to see past them, and realize what others do.

I really don't understand what's so wrong with telling someone they're nice-looking, if it's meant to encourage them. I feel empathy for this young lady because I want her to understand that she's pretty to look at, but at the same time know that there are people out there who are sympathetic to how important it is to treat one's scars the best way one is able.

However, I feel like the most important thing regarding this thread is to stay on topic, and offer the advice and input the OP is asking for. I naturally want to tell someone they're nice-looking when I find them to be because my personality dictates that I should cheer people up and make them feel better. But I understand that's not what rockmeamadeus really wants. I do think that Green Gables has a point, although I ultimately find that it's okay to tell someone they're cute if you believe them to be so. Just make sure that you are attempting to help them with scar treatments, and not just their self-esteem.

That being said, I agree with what Green Gables says about Retinoids. Especially Tazorac, since I have alot of experience with it. You know how I feel about peels, rockmeamadeus.

Edited by CherrySoda08, 06 September 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#26 *Inspired*

*Inspired*

Formerly "TokyoGirl"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

I'm humored by the jealousy comments. With the exception of my scars, I'm perfectly secure with my looks and would never be jealous of someone else because I really believe I have been blessed with attractive features. It has without a doubt given me an advantage in life. However, I have also been humbled by acne and scars. This has made me more aware and sensitive of other people's feelings over how society views attractiveness. I think Green Gables and Lee1234 were simply trying to avoid what's described here, in the rules, by keeping the thread on topic:
http://www.acne.org/...will-be-closed/

Unfortunately, I would say this thread has gone completely off topic and offers very little useful advice as it relates to the original question.

This is not a new issue on acne.org, and I think it's one that people need to be sensitive to. There are many young, impressionable people on this site, who are affected by threads like this. Peer pressure is enough, don't you think?

Edited by TokyoGirl, 06 September 2012 - 05:21 AM.

#27 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

Thanks to the member who brought this to my attention!

Seeing how this topic has steered away from the original subject, I have to agree with the members saying that this forum is intended to give advice, not to tell people how great they look.

I understand that no bad intentions are involved, on the contrary, but please try to see it from someone else's perspective. Especially those who are not blessed with great facial features (which, of course, is subjective), and on top of that have to deal with acne and scarring. We want them to feel just as good as anyone else, and get the same amount of support. We don't want them to feel like they're fighting a useless battle, only because they may not be as "pretty" by default as someone else. No matter how good your intentions are, commenting on someone's looks can affect other people's perceptions of themselves. Even though all you want is to cheer a person up, it could make another feel down. I'm absolutely convinced that this is not anyone's intention when making a compliment, but please try to keep the aforementioned in mind before posting such comments again. As Green Gables said: there's a personal messenger that you can use. I'm sure the recipient will be just as happy.

Thank you for understanding!

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#28 paquita

paquita

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

I still disagree but I will stay on topic.

OP whatever you do make sure you know the risks. I have read too many horror stories in this forum and I have been reading it for centuries.

I have acne scarring and even with a simple micridermabrasion they almost ruined my face. I did recover but had a burn for months and a small scar there( not significant though) I took that as a warning side. I would never try acid peels or anything that can leave a dermarcation line like dermabrasion or lasers on darker skin tones. I rather look good in good lighting than bad in any lighting. Well now all the naysayers can say I'm offending those who had procedures gone bad, but I don't care, I hate reading all these stories of procedures making people's faces worse.

By the way I consulted with a very famous doctor twice about my scars, first time he advised me to get a laser (deep fx or total fx, I don't recall) and then years later he told me he didn't recommend it for my skin tone ( mind you I'm not even that dark I can pass for a white person) I guess between consultations he must have ruined some patient's' faces. I didn't have the procedure because I was afraid of the side effects I read in this forum Accoring to him it was safe years back and he never explained the risks back then. I actually appreciated his honesty the second time around. Not many people can admit they were wrong and the procedure he offered was way cheaper than a laser. Never forget some derms are all about taking your money, many don't care about your improvement. Reality is scars are hard to fix, even celebrities have scars.

The only procedures I feel comfortable with are fillers, temporary and permanent. I think that requires a very experienced doctor though and several rounds. You want your doctor to go slow on a permanent filler. I had one round recently and while I didn't see huge improvement I didn't have any side effects. Also my skin looks very natural. I had microdroplet silicone injections with a very famous doctor in my area But I think I will change doctors to one that has ben mentioned on this board.

Be aware though we will never have perfect skin, just less scaring.

Edited by paquita, 06 September 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#29 rockmeamadeus

rockmeamadeus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

OP whatever you do make sure you know the risks. I have read too many horror stories in this forum and I have been reading it for centuries.

I have acne scarring and even with a simple micridermabrasion they almost ruined my face. I did recover but had a burn for months and a small scar there( not significant though) I took that as a warning side. I would never try acid peels or anything that can leave a dermarcation line like dermabrasion or lasers on darker skin tones. I rather look good in good lighting than bad in any lighting. Well now all the naysayers can say I'm offending those who had procedures gone bad, but I don't care, I hate reading all these stories of procedures making people's faces worse.

By the way I consulted with a very famous doctor twice about my scars, first time he advised me to get a laser (deep fx or total fx, I don't recall) and then years later he told me he didn't recommend it for my skin tone ( mind you I'm not even that dark I can pass for a white person) I guess between consultations he must have ruined some patient's' faces. I didn't have the procedure because I was afraid of the side effects I read in this forum Accoring to him it was safe years back and he never explained the risks back then. I actually appreciated his honesty the second time around. Not many people can admit they were wrong and the procedure he offered was way cheaper than a laser. Never forget some derms are all about taking your money, many don't care about your improvement. Reality is scars are hard to fix, even celebrities have scars.

The only procedures I feel comfortable with are fillers, temporary and permanent. I think that requires a very experienced doctor though and several rounds. You want your doctor to go slow on a permanent filler. I had one round recently and while I didn't see huge improvement I didn't have any side effects. Also my skin looks very natural. I had microdroplet silicone injections with a very famous doctor in my area But I think I will change doctors to one that has ben mentioned on this board.

Fillers really interest me, but I haven't researched them enough. If you want to PM me more information, that would be amazing!

#30 *Inspired*

*Inspired*

Formerly "TokyoGirl"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

Regardless of the procedure, there are risks involved. Few doctors offer permanent silicone fillers for a reason. Silicone in your skin is permanent, and it can move. If you're seriously going to consider this, do your research. Keep in mind, once you put silicone in your skin, it will also complicate your ability to have other treatments, like laser, in the future (if you choose to do so).

#31 luvskincare13

luvskincare13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

I still think a permanent filler would be the best plan for her. Her skin tone is good and it doesnt look like she has sundamage so I really think she should look more into that.

#32 michael24

michael24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

For the type of scars she has I do not think fillers are the best choice. Fillers work best on rolling type scars that need to be raised. Hers are ice pick/boxcar looking, and texture problems. Also the scarring is extensive meaning they are not concentrated in one area rather they cover the whole of both cheeks , too much for fillers alone.

Though there are risks as with all treatments laser is the only thing that will help you. I would suggest a combo treatment like fraxel repair and subcision for the scars the derm thinks would respond. I would look into asking your derm to order cutegenix for post procedure care. I am planning on having my treatments done next week and have been looking into this. It seems to help with recover from laser resurfacing.

http://cutagenesis.c...-care-emulsion/

#33 luvskincare13

luvskincare13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Oh okay I see. I thought these were rolling scars in which it seems like fillers are the best treatment. Maybe then laser would be the best treatment for her.

#34 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

Fillers really interest me, but I haven't researched them enough. If you want to PM me more information, that would be amazing!

Have you ever tried something like Tazorac, rockmeamadeus? Green Gables was absolutely right when she said that something like Tazorac can work wonders in building up the collagen in one's scarring. I used Taz for over two years to build up my scars before having my punch float procedures done. It definitely helped my scars before they were even operated on.

Also, have you ever considered having a surgical treatment done prior to having laser performed? There are several statements of doctors such as these on RealSelf.com who believe that a multilayered approach can be very good for treating acne scarring on the face; http://www.realself....ne-scars-cheeks
This is what I am planning on having done since I have already had punch floats and a session of grafts, but I doubt I will even have my first laser procedure performed until the first of 2013.

Although the first doctor in the link, Dr. Philip Young, recommends TCA Cross treatment, which I find pretty risky, I agree wholeheartedly with Dr. Mark Taylor's opinion. It's located below Dr. Young's. My advice is to really do your research about treatments for acne scarring before even continuing to consult with several doctors. Try your best to figure out what is going to be the best method to treating your scarring, so you can get the very most out of any future consults. I'm still trying to figure all this out, myself. So, I feel for your current situation. I can really relate to it.

All the best,

Cherry

#35 paquita

paquita

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

Regardless of the procedure, there are risks involved. Few doctors offer permanent silicone fillers for a reason. Silicone in your skin is permanent, and it can move. If you're seriously going to consider this, do your research. Keep in mind, once you put silicone in your skin, it will also complicate your ability to have other treatments, like laser, in the future (if you choose to do so).

True but I yet have heard of any complications of microdroplet silicone. Also there is no incentive in offering a $300-$600 round of fillers when you can make more money in a laser procedure which takes probably less time than injecting scars over and over. I would definetely make sure I would go to a good doctor. You are right it is very hard to find a doctor who does this procedure. Metro areas with a lot of AIDS cases tend to have the most since it has been used in those patients for years. Well you need an artist more than a doctor.

Lasers might work for the OP since her skin is pretty white but she needs to make sure she goes to someone with years of experience and even then there are risks involved. OP just research this board there are many topics on lasers. I do know a woman who had a flesh eating bacteria on her face, she was very white and she had no complications. I am yet not impressed with any laser case I have read in this forum, and I am scared to death everytime I read anything with the word acid on it because sometimes it ends up horribly. I think money will be better spend in temporary fillers but that is my opinion of course. The OP needs to make her own research and make sure she knows the risks. There are too many greedy derms out there.

OP one thing I noticed with my skin is that it can't take liquid foundation. I think you need to reconsider your makeup choices if you are still breaking out. If you are not using retinA give it a try. Your scars won't dissapear but it will improve your texture a little. I personally only wear powder and some concealer when I really have to. I also think powder looks more natural on people with facial scars. I really don't know what you are using though.

Edited by paquita, 07 September 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#36 Brarei200

Brarei200

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

Do you have make up on in the pics?

Also, if you go for the treatment, can you post what treatment it was and all those details? My skin looks the same as yours kinda (but I still have red marks on the scars).

#37 BecomingBeautiful

BecomingBeautiful

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:26 AM

OMG! I've finally found someone who has almost the same scarring that I have! Unfortunately, I stopped Diane about 4 months back and my skin is breaking out with small white heads :( Please keep us updated on what treatments work for you! After my acne problem is resolved completely, I'll look into laser. Pleassseee keep me informed. I wish you all the best with the procedures :D Chin up, you are a beautiful person.

#38 *Can*I*Live*

*Can*I*Live*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

I say Fraxel Repair.
The name is a referance to a song from the Reasonable Doubt album. Incase you were wondering...

#39 rockmeamadeus

rockmeamadeus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Okay everyone who I spoke with about my dermatologist consultation, I just came back from one today.

I had one that was earlier, but things came up with a family emergency and then work...needless to say, I just got around to it.
I was going in for a free consultation just open for any advice, but really expecting to talk on laser treatments because in my mind, that's the only solution at this point.

Going to the dermatologist is pretty nerve-wracking. I have never been to one and I have had acne for 12 years--I realized it was totally absurd to have fear or wait that long after today. The place was reputable, it was in a very nice area of downtown, and the people who worked there were SO nice and welcoming. They understand the sensitivity of this issue, and you can tell they do everything to comfort you.
Going anywhere in public, let alone a very chic part of downtown, without makeup was pretty much the worst. However, it was kind of liberating and I didn't come across too many people.

Straight off the bat, she asked me how long I have had it, my nutrition, and what I have done up until now to combat acne. She took notes while I tried to rattle off every method I have used and she seemed to have heard it all. She only chided me a little when I mentioned I have used chemical peels at home from MUAC--She said they aren't mixed at the specific levels for each individual's skin and if you put things like that on skin that isn't properly cleaned and prepped professionally, it can make your skin erupt more.

She took me into a room where I laid down (it was like a spa, with some calming music~~) and examined my skin under a bright light. She told me I have boxcar, and rolling, but 'very small, fortunately!'. She said she doesn't see any icepick.

So, she told me she recommends me to start off with a facial (extraction, brushing with salicylic acid, etc. etc.) and then she will prescribe to me Retin-A. She told me it would be my 'best friend', helping smooth out everything and produce collagen--nothing new there. After 1-2 months of being on Retin-A she recommended I do a VI peel. I haven't heard too much on this one, she said it combines mixed amounts of glycolic, TCA, phenol, and some other things I didn't catch. She said she does a ton of them, and they really make a result after one treatment.

She told me to expect a lot of smoothing out and improvement just from this alone. She told me it will never be perfect, but it will be at a point where I won't feel the need to cover it with makeup. If I want to do laser after that, she talked briefly of the ActiveFX and DeepFX they offer. I told her I want to start off simple and see where I end up, and not jump right into laser and she agreed.

So, she spoke of how much she loved skin, she told me I was 'beautiful' even with the acne, told me to change my diet up, and recommended me to more common and simple methods than the more expensive laser. So I feel good about that consultation, and I am going to do what she recommends. I'll post what happens in a few months from now!

Oh and to everyone asking if I had makeup on in the photos, I did. I am posting a few more where I have absolutely no makeup on(taken before the dermatologist), so it's more accurate. But really---makeup highlights the indents, just covers the redness of active breakouts. If I had no redness, I wouldn't wear makeup at all, my scars look smoother without it!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-09-24 13.00.06.jpg
  • 2012-09-24 13.00.21.jpg
  • 2012-09-24 13.01.22.jpg
  • 2012-09-24 13.15.04.jpg
  • 2012-09-24 13.16.19.jpg
  • 2012-09-24 13.16.29.jpg

#40 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for keeping us all updated, rockmeamadeus. Posted Image

"She told me it will never be perfect..." So glad that you went to a derm that was honest with you about that.

Very glad to hear that the derm recommended that you use Retin A for the scarring to build up the collagen. That's what helped me so much.