Photo

Dermatologists A Scam?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 laura130490

laura130490

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

Surely this isn't the case the UK dermatologists though as treatment is funded by the NHS? Unless you see a private dermatologist. I saw a derm when I was younger through the NHS for another skin condition (not acne) and they were great, got me started on a course of light treatment and it cleared right up.

#22 AMINAL

AMINAL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

I wouldn't say it's a scam, and I don't think they are knowingly doing anything wrong. They are simply part of a system. A doctor, like others have said, still has to run a business. Most of them do not have the time to spend hours with clients every single day, so they effectively can't really "learn" about your specific problem. They have 10 minutes with you, if that. Most doctors don't even have time to read every new article published in medical journals about rising cures and medications. They rely on a summarized publishing that normally comes out on a yearly basis that spout out summarized information on new medications - what "works" and "doesn't work". This is what they base their treatments on. Going is only going to seem like a "scam" if you don't know how a doctor's office runs, or how the medical industry runs as a whole. If you know what you're getting yourself into and know what to expect from a Dermatologist... you're not going to feel "scammed". Disappointed? Maybe.

#23 tuffluck

tuffluck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

If you have low blood sugar and high in some vitamins and minerals you won't get acne. http://www.acu-cell.com/dis.html.

Most dermatologist are moving into anti-aging and cosmetic surgery like ass and boob jobs than dedicating time into a serious disease like acne.

That link you posted is very helpful.

#24 This is my name

This is my name

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

everything is a scam, in my lowly, insane opinion. although yes, it is true that the pharmaceutical companies control everything and are only interested in making money. i have also developed a theory that doctors really don't want to cure your problems because then they wouldn't continue to make money off of you. i also think that doctors and dentists will not do any preventative measures for you and will let your ailments worsen until they're bad enough to need something done. although i'm sure not all doctors follow this rule, it's just something i've been contemplating.

but yes, i had one particularly bad experience with a dermatologist i went to. the doctor came in and looked at my face and back for a second and then told me to use this cleanser they had. he didn't ask me anything and i didn't really tell him anything. the whole experience was about 5 minutes and then i was out the door. after using this cleanser for a short time with no success i never went back there again and said screw those people.

although i did have a derm appointment this morning, and i gotta say i think my dermatologist is pretty nice! we exchange information and she seems generally interested in helping me out. i know that doctors/clinics get paid to push certain products but that's not always a bad thing. i guess you just have to figure these things out for yourself.

#25 snsdgirl14

snsdgirl14

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

I wouldn't say it's a scam, and I don't think they are knowingly doing anything wrong. They are simply part of a system. A doctor, like others have said, still has to run a business. Most of them do not have the time to spend hours with clients every single day, so they effectively can't really "learn" about your specific problem. They have 10 minutes with you, if that. Most doctors don't even have time to read every new article published in medical journals about rising cures and medications. They rely on a summarized publishing that normally comes out on a yearly basis that spout out summarized information on new medications - what "works" and "doesn't work". This is what they base their treatments on. Going is only going to seem like a "scam" if you don't know how a doctor's office runs, or how the medical industry runs as a whole. If you know what you're getting yourself into and know what to expect from a Dermatologist... you're not going to feel "scammed". Disappointed? Maybe.

These are my feelings exactly. I think dermatologists can be disappointing (mainly depending on if you get a good one or bad one) but I don't think they're "scams" necessarily. They simply don't have enough time to analyze every aspect of your skin and come up with a specific treatment for you when they see so many patients a day - and, sadly, acne is probably one of the 'milder' problems to them, since dermatologists see so many people with more serious problems such as skin cancer, etc. So, frankly, it's not a huge shock that they would spend less time with patients suffering from acne. Like AMINAL said, they're going to use their summation of knowledge on acne and suggest a medication, rather than spend a half hour trying to decide what treatment would best suit your skin.

Honestly, though, dermatologists haven't been a huge disappointment to me. I've seen numerous dermatologists over the years, and have had both bad and good ones. Maybe my skin responds well to medications but they have almost always helped calm my breakouts. Right now I've been using the same medications my dermatologist prescribed a year ago and it's been working.

I WILL say though that often times dermatologists do seem like they want to make an extra bit of money by trying to sell you their 'special' cleanser, lotion etc. The last derm I saw was very friendly and attentive, but tried to tell me I should have a 10% BP cleanser inputted in my regimen. I used it for two days before returning it because it irritated my skin a lot and I learned that 2.5% BP wash would've been just as effective, and I can get that for way cheaper in CVS! Also, my derm before that who prescribed me Epiduo also prescribed me a sulfur wash--and if you read the instructions for Epiduo, it says SPECIFICALLY not to use any products with sulfur while using Epiduo. No wonder that cleanser irritated me too!

But doctors aren't perfect. I understand mistakes are made and sometimes you just get shitty ones. But I think derms have helped me more than hurt me.

#26 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

Acne is an internal problem. Derms don't prescribe things that can cure acne internally.

#27 awesomenesssquared

awesomenesssquared

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

As a med student currently suffering a sudden onset of cystic scarring acne, and an 8 year acne suffer previously......if I end up in dermatology as a specialty i will definitely have sympathy for my patients. Doctors are out there that have suffered acne problems. For example, the co-developer of Retin A James E fulton was an acne suffer and as such fueled his pursuit of dermatology. Also most of you are blaming dermatologists for problems that are not their fault. Acne research is done mainly by researchers funded by pharmecueticals or a select few derms who go into research....there are many reasons why this area of research has not been booming but I will not get into them here, and you can't blame your run of the mill derm for not fighting hard enough to find an acne cure...for most that topic isn't even on their radar.

No, dermatology is not a scam. Nobody is out to get you....but if you ever go through the medical field there are so many outside factors as to why many doctors just can't give as much sympathy as many patients would want. We go through alot....8 hour days followed by countless studying, giving up our youth, taking on a quarter to half a million dollars in debt for an education......After all that you would expect some doctors to be burnt out, so please be understanding. If you want derms to be more compassionate really go for it. Go into your appointment prepared, ask questions, dont let the doctor leave the room. If they seem clueless, go to another doctor, just dont go on an agenda that all derms are bad or that all demrs have/had perfect skin or are out to just treat cosmetics.

#28 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

I don't think they are a deliberate scam. Very few are any good though and that applies to other medical doctors as well. They are too indoctrinated in western medicine in which everyone needs drugs and they only have a vague idea that healthy diet and lifestyle are 'good' as opposed to being essential and the best way of reversing health conditions.

Edited by alternativista, 06 December 2012 - 11:12 AM.