Photo

A Success Story - Discovering Intolerances And Eating Naturally

gluten

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 GorgeouslyGothic

GorgeouslyGothic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

Here's a thread I never thought I'd be posting. I'd tried dietary changes before without any success so I thought food just didn't play a role in my acne.

Man, was I wrong.

It's been a two year journey figuring out what I can eat and what I can't, but now that I have it under control, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Not everything works for everyone so absolutely take this or leave this. I just know that I was desperate for a cure when I was suffering, and I want to share this because if it benefits even one other person, it's more than worth it.

I've taken Accutane twice in the past two years. Both times, it cleared me beautifully. However, after a few months of being off it each time, I would notice the acne creeping back a bit - not the same deep, cystic spots, but more than I liked. However, because I had clear skin for the first time in a decade, I noticed that the flare-ups coincided with certain foods.

Could it be? I had no idea. The first and most aggravating thing was any kind of soy product. I drank some soy milk and my tonsils swelled up to the point where I lost my voice. The next day, my face was covered with deep, painful pimples. It took about a week for that to clear out of my system. After this, I went to get tested for a soy allergy, and I tested positive. So I eliminated all things soy - soy protein, soybean oil, cooking spray, margarine, unlabeled vegetable oil, even eggs because of the soy content in commercial chicken feed (on the hunt for soy-free eggs now). It was a tough elimination...it's in SO many things...but once I got the hang of it, it was second nature, and it eliminated a lot of crap food I shouldn't be eating anyway.

It worked beautifully. No more cysts! Last year, though, I took a month off of dairy to help my seasonal allergies. In that month, my skin became absolutely perfect - no more little red dots or small pimples creeping up on me. When I tried to add dairy back after the allergy season ended, the red bumps started again. So I've cut dairy, too, and my skin looks even better.

Those seem to be my big irritators, but after a few months of eating as clean as I can - no additives, dyes or preservatives, limited oil, loads of home-prepared vegetables, whole grains and wild-caught fish - I noticed one more irritator.

Junk food.

Chips, my one weakness, would give me moderately-sized pimples. I've tested the theory - I can go weeks and be clear, but if I eat chips one afternoon, I'll be broken out that evening.

I'm not sure if it's the oil or what. I consume extra virgin olive oil, as well as sesame oil, and neither of those bother me. But I've tested the theory, and if I eat chips one afternoon, that night I'll have pimples. I've taken to making my own baked chips with corn tortillas, salt and a little olive oil, crisped in the oven. Those don't bother me so I stick with that.

Now I eat tons of fruit, fresh vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds and wild-caught fish. I'm a pescetarian who will not eat farmed fish (goodness knows what they feed them), and I do not eat dairy. If I want a "treat food," I make it myself with whole, natural ingredients. When I find a source of soy-free eggs I intend to try them and see how that goes. I don't have a problem with wheat or gluten - I eat pasta and bread made with whole, natural ingredients, and they never trigger me whatsoever. I consume NO unnatural additives, nothing hydrogenated, and nothing I can't pronounce.

I wish I could post photos as proof, but I never used to allow anyone to take my picture. I actually avoided events where there would be cameras. Now I have better skin than most of my friends (I'm in my 20s) and am constantly complimented on my glowing complexion. My skin used to be so bad that people would publicly gawk and ask me what happened to my face - because it didn't even look like pimples, but sores and bruises.

I don't need the convenience of fast food, restaurants and preservatives. Nothing tastes as good as beautiful skin feels - and honestly, I don't feel like I miss out on food. Fresh, whole foods taste worlds better ANYWAY, so it's the best of both worlds.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them. If no one responds, that's fine. This board offered me a lot of support when I was suffering and I just want to give something back. Again, if it helps even one person, it's worth it.

Happy Saturday, everybody Posted Image

#2 bhang001

bhang001

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

Congratulations, I will try to study my diet as well and see what works for me, Thank you and best of luck for life!

#3 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

Congrats on finding what works for you. :)

#4 Hutchdan

Hutchdan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

Fantastic to hear :D

im so close to being clear for life, i'm just trying to establish whether i can have goats milk

#5 Bearishly

Bearishly

Food is medicine that tastes good

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

Awesome! Add yourself to the pinned success thread; it's the single best place on this forum.

#6 arqa22

arqa22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

good post

#7 GorgeouslyGothic

GorgeouslyGothic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

Thank you all for the positive feedback :) How does one pin a post to a thread? Doesn't a mod have to do it?

Sorry, I've been offline for a bit too long >.>

#8 FSAS

FSAS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

congrats,

I wish I was allergic to foods :(
at least I'd be able to help my acne
so frustrating.

glad it worked for you though :)

#9 GorgeouslyGothic

GorgeouslyGothic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

Thanks FSAS :)

I want to point out that my only actual ALLERGY is soy. So it was a big contributor, but not the only thing that broke me out. Dairy and greasy junk food don't trigger the same anaphylactic response, but still upset my skin quite a bit. It's weird and it's a bummer sometimes, but if it allows me to control my skin, I'm for it.

I really thing hanging around this forum is a great place to start. You'll find what works for you!

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

Thank you all for the positive feedback Posted Image How does one pin a post to a thread? Doesn't a mod have to do it?

Sorry, I've been offline for a bit too long >.>

The mod pins the thread, but you can still post to it like normal.

#11 bhang001

bhang001

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

Just found out that I am not sensitive to Chocolate Cake! Had half a pound when drunk on beer and no acne in the morning!! Thanks God!

#12 GorgeouslyGothic

GorgeouslyGothic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

I'm glad you're relieved :) Not to be a downer, but just a word of warning...it can take anywhere up to 72 hours for what you eat to show up on your skin.

I miss beer. I wish I could still drink it. I'm working on figuring out what types of alcohol I can have (in moderation, of course). Anyone have any experience with what types of alcohol hurt or don't aggravate their skin?

#13 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

I'm glad you're relieved Posted Image Not to be a downer, but just a word of warning...it can take anywhere up to 72 hours for what you eat to show up on your skin.

And that's if you are talking about a food intolerance. There's also your daily habits that promote inflammation and screw with hormones. And if you make a habit of eating a half a pound of chocolate cake, it will show up on the skin of the acne prone.

#14 bhang001

bhang001

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

Yeah I wasn't going to eat chocolate cake every day, although I would love to! Found out recently that Soy causes a bad reaction, got a cyst because of that.