acne retin-a mild hyperpigmentation papules pustules skin ice pick retinoids

6 replies to this topic

#1 =liberty

=liberty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

Hey guys. I've been a lurker on these boards for a year or so now. Finally decided to make an account! This is going to be my log for my Retin-A treatment.

I've suffered with mild acne for about 2 years now. My acne is very mild. I only ever get 4 hormonal spots a month, sometimes more if I am very stressed. The issue is never the amount of spots I have. It's usually the fact that I get 4 huge papules that slowly turn into pustules. They are always very inflamed and painful. And they ALWAYS leave me with scars. I've generally got dry skin naturally.

I have tried Neutrogena, Simple and other drug store brands. I still do use some of these products but I find they never helped with my acne. I know the only way to get rid of the hyperpigmentation and scarring is to prevent it. And that's why I am on this journey. Around this time last year I tried Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5 for a few months. I found it helped with some spots. But it made my scarring worse and now I'm left with about 7 ice pick scars and I still have hyperpigmentation.

In January I had a crazy breakout that continued for about 2 weeks. I still do not know the cause, I had exams and a possible allergic reaction to some food that I ate for a long time. It left me with even more scarring. That's when I decided I wanted to stop the spots all together. My spots are usually along my cheekbones sometimes lower. But during that breakout I got spots on my forehead and on my chin as well as my cheek.

So two weeks ago I went to my doctor to show her my skin. She claimed I had very mild acne and that I should continue with the Benzoyl Peroxide. However I asked to be prescribed with Retin-A instead just to try it out. She gave me the mildest concentration. 0.01. And I have been using it for what will be 3 weeks this Friday. I am now going to start my log for you guys to see my journey, hopefully I will have pictures too! Thanks for reading this long post if you did! I'm new here so do tell me about your skin/journeys... I'd love to read them.

My routine.. Started on 6th April 2012. (ongoing.)

Morning:
Wash face with Simple moisturising facial wash.
Moisturise with Oilatum Natural Face Repair moisturiser.
Apply sunscreen. Soltan Once 8hr 35SPF.
Evening:
Wash face with Simple mosturising facial wash.
Apply Retin-A 0.01.
Apple Oilatum Natural Face Repair under eyes.

#2 =liberty

=liberty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

Log:
Started on 6th April.
Noticed some dry skin 2 days later.. This flaked off during the day. I also used a muslin cloth to remove any excess. I think this may have been a mistake. A few days later got about 6 small pimples scattered around the face. These remained for a while.
10th April
Noticed a small scab on forehead. Very tiny. It seems like I may have scratched my skin. Already my skin is more sensitive. Still have some pimples.. Some between my cheek and nose. Around the nasolabial creases and they are very small. Skin is still flaking a little. Some hyperpigmentation is starting to fade on the cheeks.
14th April
Noticed 2 new spots on the forehead these are perhaps hormonal though. One looked like the start of my usual papules... Cheeks feel very rough. Spot between eyes is noticed.
15th April
Noticed 2 new spots above my lip. Very small. The little papule has dried out though. Turned into a dry little flaky piece of raised skin.
16th April
Finally the spots in my nasolabial creases are drying out and getting flatter. Spots above lip have gotten flatter.
17th April
Noticed the scab on my forehead is gone. My cheek is really starting to get smoother now. Less hyperpigmentation, noticing more dips in skin though. More icepick scarring? Spot between eyes flattening out. Don't have any new spots.

#3 =liberty

=liberty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

3 Week Update
Last week I had a little breakout, still have a couple of spots. Noticed larger pores and I'm getting more spots along the jawline that I usually hardly have. A lot of the spots are drying out and turning into scabs. Accidently rubbed off two of the scabs and these have gotten darker. Other hyperpigmentation spots are starting to fade a little. I've noticed my chin is getting more little white heads. Unsure if I should scrub these off but they aren't actual spots just those little pores with white stuff at the ends. We will see. In general my skin is smoother, I'd say my skin is looking better. But I do have more scabs on the jawline in general.

#4 fkrepubligion

fkrepubligion

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Stop using Simple moisturizing facial wash and switch to the basic green bottle simple , the moisturizing wash has clogging properties friends in uk-us have had problems and aren't even "acne prone". In the UK I can only use green simple or import cerave products or it's a mess. Cleared me up after a few months when adjusting to Derby and when I returned back to the US even the odd one went away,

#5 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

liberty, how's it going so far? You sound as if you are tolerating the retin a well. I am in my 12th week of retin a (Atralin brand) and i am still experiencing breakouts: -(. This i hear is pretty normal for a lot of people so don't get discouraged if you breakout, clear up, break out, clear up......well you get the point.

Good Luck!!

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#6 =liberty

=liberty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Stop using Simple moisturizing facial wash and switch to the basic green bottle simple , the moisturizing wash has clogging properties friends in uk-us have had problems and aren't even "acne prone". In the UK I can only use green simple or import cerave products or it's a mess. Cleared me up after a few months when adjusting to Derby and when I returned back to the US even the odd one went away,

Hey. Thanks for the tip, I have never had a problem with Simple products and I have been using it for years. I do know it's not for everyone! But I will try and look for a new one.

liberty, how's it going so far? You sound as if you are tolerating the retin a well. I am in my 12th week of retin a (Atralin brand) and i am still experiencing breakouts: -(. This i hear is pretty normal for a lot of people so don't get discouraged if you breakout, clear up, break out, clear up......well you get the point.

Good Luck!!

I think my skin is getting a little better! Thanks. My cheeks are clearing up but I did have a papule pop up a week ago. :(
A new dark mark about 3mm wide. We will see how it goes. Good luck with yours.

4 Week Update
A papule popped up on my cheek about a week and a half ago. It wasn't as swollen as usual and didn't turn into a pustule. But it slowly has lost the swelling. I'm left with a new mark on my cheek. Also had a couple teeny spots on my chin. These disappeared very quickly although one did leave a big mark.

I've got a couple of small pimples above the brow, perhaps because I just started plucking my eyebrows for the first time in years. The hyperpigmentation on the right side of my face is fading a lot quicker than the left. However the hyperpigmentation on the right side is fairly new compared to the left. I broke out a lot in January, most of the spots came up on my right cheek and I was left with these marks.

TODAY
I'd say my skin is 96% clear of spots right now, still have the hyperpigmentation. But I've got my exams coming up so that may change, I'm 100% sure my exams caused my breakout in January. So I am expecting horrible skin. So the next 6 weeks I will have exams, let's see if Retin-A can prevent the spots from forming.

#7 =liberty

=liberty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:13 AM

UPDATE
So a week or so after that another papule appeared on my cheek. It is still there now. But it is slowly losing the inflammation. However I have a new mark there. :(
Anyway. Yesterday I woke up with a rash across my whole face. It is still there today. I know what product caused this. I tried a new facial wash for 3 days. My skin hates it. I will not be using it again. It hasn't affected the amount of spots I have, although I do have 3 pimples on my forehead. Completely empty pimples. No pus, just those hard dry spots?
Anyway. I'm in the midst of my real exams, so I don't think anything that happens to my skin right now is a true reflection of Retin-A. I will update again soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users