Photo

Hemp Oil As A Moisturizer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 JoeBloggs

JoeBloggs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Ive had a look around but there doesnt seem to be much info on it.

Ive been using vaseline (petroleum jelly) as a moisturizer for quite a long time now, it does the job but if I put even a little bit on in the morning, my skin looks kinda greasy all day and its probably not a great look lol.

Ive tried jojoba and olive oil but they both broke me out (olive oil was worse).

Anyone know anything about using hemp oil as a moisturizer? Does it clog pores and does it irritate the skin at all? Also what is its consistency like? Is it runny like jojoba or thick like olive oil?

Thanks

#2 Kyle_

Kyle_

Regimen user since 2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

Why not try a moisturiser? Seems like your just using oil, something that i would try anyway

Last time I saw hemp oil was in the shops, I can remember it being a bit gloopy, but slightly thinner than olive oil, to be honest, a bit like jojoba oil!

Edited by Kyle_, 01 March 2012 - 01:06 PM.

New Regimen!

Morning: 2 pumps Dan's cleanser in the shower, and "Eucerin Dermo Purifyer Hydrating Care" to moisturize, works to get me through the day without dry skin, but doesn't show, it's like there's nothing on my face, it's matt and doesn't shine.

///

Night: 2/3 pumps Dan's cleaner in the shower, using the cleanser to shave with a 2 blade generic razor, end segment finger's worth of Dan's BP, 2 pumps Dan's moisturizer with 6 drops generic, organic jojoba oil.

Sometimes just Dan's AHA+, or the usual application of Dan's BP with AHA+ on top if I'm feeling hardcore.

///

1 generic multivitamin, 30mg Zinc if the multivitamin doesn't contain it, 1/2 odorless garlic capsules, 2/3 EyeQ capsules (omega 3, 6, evening primrose oil,)

Have been on lots of different prescriptions, most successful was oxytetracycline.

New regimen!

Dove summer glow morning

AHA+ (acne.org) night!

Awaiting 20% salicylic acid gel in post for chin and nose.

Acne isn't returning after almost 2 years on the regimen

Looking for treatments for oily skin however, I have that really bad

#3 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

Oil quality can be very questionable. Extraction methods, storage and transportation all pose risks of running rancidity and adulteration. For this reason, be wary of ALL oils. The molecular size of jojoba oil may have been a problem for your skin too - by either clogging or smothering. It's not incredibly penetrable. Olive oil is very popular, and because of this, the supply-demand dichotomy has lowered its quality comparatively to other oils too.

Hemp oil might be worth trying, if you can find a good source. There's plenty good reviews on it. However, if you've struggled with breakouts from past oils, just be careful. A regular and/or gel-based moisturizer might be better for you. Remember that moisturizers only serve to maintain moisture content of the skin, not to replace the natural oils of your skin. You need a breathable moisturizer that can retain the skin's natural moisture while not resting atop the skin. Whether it be a "natural" oil or a multi-ingredient moisturizer, whatever does the job does the job.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Vanbelle, 01 March 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#4 JoeBloggs

JoeBloggs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I forgot to mention Ive tried alot of gel/cream based moisturizers and they ALL irritate my skin beyond belief, even the ones designed for sensitive skin. Thats why I swiitched to oils, I had a long stint using sunflower oil which really worked well for me, it didnt irritate my skin or break me out whatsoever but in the end it was just too messy. Vaseline is better in that respect because its heavy and doesnt drip everywhere but damn it makes me look like a greasy so and so haha.

From what Ive read hemp oil absorbs into the skin pretty well and doesnt leave a greasy afterlook, which is what i after, but from what Ive researched its not really clear whether its comedogenic or not.

#5 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hemp oil turns your skin green.. haha it's great to mix with honey for a mask and then wash off.. but to use as a moisturizer I'd have to say no unless your a fan of the grinch. How about only using RO water in the morning? If you need a moisturizer your cleaning your skin too much, which a huge number of the population does. I use a clay mask/acv once a week, and then nothing but RO water in the morning after I shave. My skin is now so much better, no matter red spotty face with dry patches and what not, get your skin back to normal and you won't need a moisturizer.

#6 JoeBloggs

JoeBloggs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hemp oil turns your skin green.. haha it's great to mix with honey for a mask and then wash off.. but to use as a moisturizer I'd have to say no unless your a fan of the grinch. How about only using RO water in the morning? If you need a moisturizer your cleaning your skin too much, which a huge number of the population does. I use a clay mask/acv once a week, and then nothing but RO water in the morning after I shave. My skin is now so much better, no matter red spotty face with dry patches and what not, get your skin back to normal and you won't need a moisturizer.

I dont clean my face with anything but pure water (cold), about 3 times a day on average. Unfortunately ever since I went on accutane my skin has been kinda sensitive and easily irritable and Ive been constantly looking for a suitable mosturizer.

#7 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

3 times a day is still too much, I know for me that would dry my skin out like crazy. and im guessing your using tap, which is just a killer for our facial sensitive skin. Here in AZ our tap is over 400PPM! You know how disgusting that is? That's a ton of shit.

http://www.purewater...products_id=270

That's the RO system I got. Steal of a price. Hooked it up myself in about an hour, brings water completely down to 0 PPM. Highly suggest it mate, your skin will thank you.

#8 con eli

con eli

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hi there,
Sounds like you have skin very similar to mine. I've tried SO many different moisturizers and they all made me break out. For the past 2 months, I've been only washing my face with distilled water and a Norwex face cloth. What I do is take about 1 cup or 2 of distilled water (or even Brita-filtered water is fine) and then dip my Norwex face cloth into that until it's good and wet. Then I just squeeze out a bit of the water and then I proceed to wash my face. Also, I only wash my face at night as I found it to be too drying otherwise. So after washing my face with the washcloth, I spritz my face with some Immortelle hydrosol (from Garden of Wisdom) and then I take 2-3 drops of hemp seed oil (by using a glass dropper I bought from the drug store) and put it into the palm of my hands with another spritz of the Immortelle hydrosol. Then I smoosh it around in my hands and then apply it to my face. Then I put 2-3 more spritzes of the hydrosol into my hands and then rub that all over my face to seal in the moisture. Well, I have to say that this is the absolute BEST my face has looked in ages! I currently have 2 small pimples on my face (whereas before I'd have SEVERAL) and, when I do get a pimple, it's usually gone within 3-5 days. As time goes on, my face is just getting better and better. My sister has also started using hemp oil but she uses it by doing OCM and her face is looking great too! She actually does exactly what Nailbunny suggests on Makeupalley (you can just go to Makeupalley and put "nailbunny" in the search field to see what she does). Well, good luck and, if you have any questions, let me know!
P.S. I forgot to mention to you have to keep the hemp oil refrigerated.

Edited by con eli, 08 March 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#9 harlowefey

harlowefey

Good thoughts. Happy thought. Loveee!

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

I eat hemp oil all the time cause I'm a vegan. It's really tasty.. probably good enough to lick off someones face... hahahaha (bad joke). Okay, I've never heard of hemp oil going on the face. Even though hemp oil is extremely good for you, I don't think it had the vitamins in it to really make a productive facial moisturizer.

Honestly, I would try avocado oil. It's a little expensive, but you only need a few drops. I've been on and off with it, using it on my body. It's really great stuff. Full of antioxidants and really hydrating. I think it's a give or take if it will clog your pores or not. I think all oils that will be applied to the face should follow this process: steam your face first, apply A SMALL amount of oil to a tester area on your face, steam again and then wipe extra oil off face with hot cloth. That way, the oil won't sit on your skin but you will still be absorbing the moisture, and you can test it out first to make sure it doesn't irritate your skin.

I've been using coconut oil for the last five days.. and I haven't noticed a change in moisture in my skin. But it's destroying my zits.. SO YES! VICTORY!! I use Origins - A Perfect World moisturizer, I've got really sensitive skin. It burns if I put any other moisturizer on besides Origins. But I can't imagine what it's like with accutane. Anyway, I hope this info helps.

BTW, if you don't put hemp on your face, put it on your food. It kind of takes of few bites of getting used to.. but then you fall in love with it. I sure did. <3

OHHHH YAAA: I forgot to mention Vitamin E oil.. which is like the moisturize Gods came down and rained moisture all over your face. It doesn't necessarily hydrate, but it retains hydration in your face. So if you drink a bathtub (not that much) full of water and put on vitamin e, it retains the moisture instead of letting any escape your skin. You can put it on over another moisturizer too... But i'm not sure about how it clogs pores. All i know is that my grandma has been applying vitamin E to her face for like 30 years and she has the skin of a 25 year old. So... yeaaaaah,
CURRENT REGIMEN

Morning:
1) Acne.org Regimen
2) Spot treat with AHA+.
3) Double moisturize: Jojoba oil and Acne.org Regimen Moisturizer.

Night:
1) Acne.org Regimen
2) Spot treat with AHA+. Use AHA+ on full face every Tuesday and Thursday night.
3) Double moisturize.

#10 JoeBloggs

JoeBloggs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

Just in case anyone was wondering, ive been using hemp seed oil (organic virgin) as moisturizer for about a week and a half or so now, and its probably the best moisturizer Ive ever used.

Absorbs into the skin pretty quickly and doesnt leave the greasy look that jojoba oil, and especially vaseline can leave on your face. Absolutely zero irritation either, infact it seems to really help any sort of irritation or redness. Also doesnt break me out which is definately a plus.

So yeah, I think Ive found a new favourite moisturizer, its too good to be true so far!

#11 *BeHappy*

*BeHappy*

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hey guys! I just purchased Certified Organic Hemp Oil from Sprouts, and started using it as a moisturizer/cleanser. Question: Since it needs to be refrigerated... any advice on traveling with it? Also, people say that they add it to their current moisturizers - so I'm assuming you refrigerate those as well? Does anyone know how long it can stay unrefrigerated without going bad (say, on a 6 hour flight)? I really like the idea of hemp oil, but it's kinda annoying to go to the fridge every time I need a couple drops... any advice would be much appreciated :)

#12 con eli

con eli

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'm not sure how long it can stay unrefrigerated but you could always put it in a lunch bag with an ice pack for the plane ride. Also, since posting this, I've switched to just washing my face with water and not putting anything on after. My face is doing even better with this routine (and it's simpler so that's a bonus). I found that, because I tend towards having drier skin, that my skin was feeling very tight and dry with the hemp oil (like my face was getting tricked into producing less oil because I was applying the hemp oil every night). So after a couple of months, my face was feeling tighter and tighter all the time and I couldn't stand it anymore. So now I just splash my face with filtered (or distilled) water and then lightly pat it dry with a towel.

#13 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

Just in case anyone was wondering, ive been using hemp seed oil (organic virgin) as moisturizer for about a week and a half or so now, and its probably the best moisturizer Ive ever used.

Absorbs into the skin pretty quickly and doesnt leave the greasy look that jojoba oil, and especially vaseline can leave on your face. Absolutely zero irritation either, infact it seems to really help any sort of irritation or redness. Also doesnt break me out which is definately a plus.

So yeah, I think Ive found a new favourite moisturizer, its too good to be true so far!

Did this break you out at first. I tried it tonight for the first time and now my chin is covered with red bumps

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.