Photo

Have Mild Acne--Was Prescribed Retin-A Micro 0.04%...should I Use It?

makeup concealer retinoids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 invanitysanity

invanitysanity

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hello guys,

Since the summer, I have had breakouts every few weeks, 3-4 spots that go away eventually but leave behing PIH. It's never been anything terrible or awful, although I will say I FEEL terrible and awful about it every time I break out. The PIH it leaves my skin sucks, takes forever to go away and ruins my complexion--but just a bit of concealer and powder makes it go away.

I hate the fact that my skin looks so splotchy without concealer, though. When I go to school, people sometimes tell me my skin looks so beautiful and clear. Of course, it's the makeup! If they saw my dark spots, they wouldnt think so!

Anyway. I went to the doctor about a month ago when I was having a few (maybe 3-4) zits that were bothering me, as well as quite a bit of PIH. He told me that my acne wasnt that bad but he'd get me an appointment with the derm just to clear my head. So on Wednesday, I went to see my derm. He looked at my skin under the magnifying glass and was like, not terrible, but you do have some acne there. He prescribed me retin-a micro 0.04 and told me i should use it for the next couple of years. He said by week 8-12 I'd be completely free. I should use it every night, he said, but not before testing it out on myself for a week. He mentioned NOTHING about peeling or irritation, neither did he say anything about an initial break out.

I AM TERRIFIED OF AN INITIAL BREAK OUT THAT I'M READING ABOUT HERE Posted Image

I am very concerned about my skin. I know PIH fades on its own. Right now my skin is free of pimples, just has quite a few spots of PIH, which like I said, are rather easily covered up.I have a lot of functions at school coming up and I really can't afford any break outs. I've been testing it on my neck and back (my back has a few spots), and nothing's happened. No peeling or anything. Only tested for 3 days though, lol.

So do you think that I should use the Retin-a Micro every three days to begin with to help with the PIH?
Do you think that because my acne is mild, I will not experience an initial break out?
Is it worth it to use if my skin is doing OK?
I know PIH goes on its own but it takes FOREVERRRRR on my skin! Posted Image

I will continue using it on my back where I've got a bit of acne/PIH, but is it worth the risk of an initial break out when I have so many functions and things coming up/my skin is okay and looks great with some makeup? :/

What do you think?

#2 HapaMommy

HapaMommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

I have dark skin and I suffer from PIH from even the tiniest bump. I had acne on my back when I was pregnant and my doctor prescribed Differin (a retinoid) to help with the PIH. It does help by turning over the dead skin cells faster and preventing now pimples from forming. You might also want to try a spa treatment. I had a recent outbreak of folliculitis on my face and it left dark spots (worse then acne because folliculitis is inflammation and infection of the hair follicle). I had microdermabrasion done and though it didn't work miracles it did help with the spots. They started fading more quickly by the second day and with the help of gentle exfoliation (using a cleansing brush like Clarisonic) and the Differin the old spots are almost gone after 6 weeks. Using a zinc based sunscreen also keeps them from getting worse because sun will darken the spots. The best thing is the spa microderm is safe with retinoid use. Hope this helps!

#3 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

After about 8 weeks of using Retin-A, you will most likely be cured of acne. But initially, it will break you out. If your going to use it, I would either ask your doctor for an oral antibiotic to mask the initial breakout and hasten results, ask for Duac (Benzoyl peroxide/clindamycin) Or at least get an OTC Benzoyl Peroxide spot treatment to treat the breakout. Best of luck to you!

#4 dreamingofclearskin2011

dreamingofclearskin2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

hi!

im also a bit more tan skinned being half asian.. well in the in winter right now im more fiar skin but i know exactly what you mean with the marks.. my face got extremly splotchy and i dont use make up :( lol so i have to go around waiting for these marks to leave.. retin a micro i heard was rather good for the marks BUT ive heard that it is a 100% guarentee initial breakout first.. depending on your skin who knows how bad he actually breakout will be though.. and im sure it will take at least 8 weeks to see good results in fading the marks.. unfortunately for us that seems like FOREVER.. fortunately though these marks do fade over time.. we have what is called PIE not PIH PIE are pretty much blood vessels under the skin PIE (post inflammatory Erythema) is not PIH(Post inflammatory hiperpigmentation) these marks are usually dark brown or black even.. you should defiately stay out of the sun unless you have sunscreen on. im using Finacea its an azeliac acid 15% that is pretty much the same thing as retin a but youres is a retinoid and mine is an acid. finacea is also prescription. finacea is said to NOT have an initial breakout. and it also kills bacteria has anti inflammatory properties and also works like retin a by shedding the skin cells at a rapid rate to fasten the healing time for our erythema (post acne red marks) although today is only my 6th day i havent seen much improvement quite yet but im really hoping i start to see at least even the slightest difference by a week and a half or 2 weeks..

also about your microderambrasion.. i thought that whent well? i think you posted about it being done some time in december? did your marks come back? i was curious of getting one done.. let me know!
any way good luck with retin a! i hope it doesnt break you out.. but if youre really worried and dont use it(if it wasnt expensive) i would get an appt with your reg doctor (doctors care) and ask him/her about finacea and get a prescription mine with insurrance and a 10$ off coupon(from finacea the website) was 40 bucks.. rather pricey but if it gets rid of my marks and acne it will be worth it.. plus theres no ib.. so yeah just to let yah know! btw if thats you in your picture.. your are gorgeous.. and im sure youre just as pretty without the makeup ;)
good luck!

#5 invanitysanity

invanitysanity

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys!!

hi!

im also a bit more tan skinned being half asian.. well in the in winter right now im more fiar skin but i know exactly what you mean with the marks.. my face got extremly splotchy and i dont use make up Posted Image lol so i have to go around waiting for these marks to leave.. retin a micro i heard was rather good for the marks BUT ive heard that it is a 100% guarentee initial breakout first.. depending on your skin who knows how bad he actually breakout will be though.. and im sure it will take at least 8 weeks to see good results in fading the marks.. unfortunately for us that seems like FOREVER.. fortunately though these marks do fade over time.. we have what is called PIE not PIH PIE are pretty much blood vessels under the skin PIE (post inflammatory Erythema) is not PIH(Post inflammatory hiperpigmentation) these marks are usually dark brown or black even.. you should defiately stay out of the sun unless you have sunscreen on. im using Finacea its an azeliac acid 15% that is pretty much the same thing as retin a but youres is a retinoid and mine is an acid. finacea is also prescription. finacea is said to NOT have an initial breakout. and it also kills bacteria has anti inflammatory properties and also works like retin a by shedding the skin cells at a rapid rate to fasten the healing time for our erythema (post acne red marks) although today is only my 6th day i havent seen much improvement quite yet but im really hoping i start to see at least even the slightest difference by a week and a half or 2 weeks..

also about your microderambrasion.. i thought that whent well? i think you posted about it being done some time in december? did your marks come back? i was curious of getting one done.. let me know!
any way good luck with retin a! i hope it doesnt break you out.. but if youre really worried and dont use it(if it wasnt expensive) i would get an appt with your reg doctor (doctors care) and ask him/her about finacea and get a prescription mine with insurrance and a 10$ off coupon(from finacea the website) was 40 bucks.. rather pricey but if it gets rid of my marks and acne it will be worth it.. plus theres no ib.. so yeah just to let yah know! btw if thats you in your picture.. your are gorgeous.. and im sure youre just as pretty without the makeup Posted Image
good luck!

Why must you be so freakin sweet? Man, I never meet such sweet and genuine guys in person. Thank you. Yes my pictures are of me, and of course I am wearing some concealer in the pictures... lol

Your advice is sound. Thank you for taking into account my concerns and giving me suggestions...<3 I have to say, too, that I am pretty sure I saw a photo of you, maybe in your avatar...is that right? If so, you seem pretty cute too. I LOVE HALF ASIANS! (ugh)

#6 dreamingofclearskin2011

dreamingofclearskin2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

LOL Posted Image

yes that was me but i took it down because unfortunately i have a bit of mild acne now so i dont look that great and i was tired of looking at the old GREAT skinned me but soon once my skin is back to normal i will put up a more recent picture haha it just sucks because it really brought my confidence down when i started to get acne.. luckily i am improving a bit..

i was looking a bit more into finacea and i saw a few peple saying they used to use retin a before finacea and they were talking about horrible IB.. and that the IB left even worse redmarks than before..i really hope that doesnt happen to you!

btw happen valentines day! ;)

#7 HapaMommy

HapaMommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

Oh yeah, and to answer your other question- I didn't have an initial outbreak anytime I started a retinoid. I believe it's different for everyone but like you I have mild acne (only a couple of pimples at a time). It took awhile for my pimples to heal but new ones didn't surface. Funny about the half-Asian comment. Hapa means just that. I have two little hapa toddlers (hence the name HapaMommy).

#8 dreamingofclearskin2011

dreamingofclearskin2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

haha i believe half asians are the best mix there is out there! well half korean at least :)