Photo

Vitamin A 25,000 Iu Acne Experiment - Any Advice, Experiences? [What Complementary Sups Should I Also Take Etc]

vitamin vitamins vitamin d vitamin a vitamin e

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

I have been taking Vitamin A 25,000 Iu [NOW brand - http://www.nowfoods....A-D/M002949.htm ] since the 10 JAN 2012.

Anyone else tried anything else similar ? Any advice etc?

I am also taking ~2000-4000 Iu vitamin D and some Vitamin C, i think i am going to get Vitamin E as i can vaguely remember reading something about an interaction with Vitamin A although i could be wrong.

Anyone know what else i should be taking please?

So far not much is happening.

I think i may have had an initial breakout although most likely a complete coincidence or although the chocolate i've been eating.

I think my bowels are already fecked anyway so prob not the cleverest of ideas. If i end up in hospital i will try to remember to put a warning up.

Unless something serious happens i will prob run out the bottle

#2 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

I used 16,000iu for a few weeks, but I didn't get any results.

Vitamin A is fat soluble, so you may need to take it with fat to help its absorption. It is bad for the liver to overdose on vitamin A, so some people say that beta carotene is a safer alternative. Beta carotene is supposed to be converted into vitamin A when your body needs it. I don't know much about that, so you may want to research it.

#3 Shello

Shello

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

I've actually been taking these 10.000 UI vitamin A supplements each day, for about a week. I can definitely see improvement. I have mild to moderate acne, but I do notice an initial breakout, which is quite common and normal. However, my biggest problem was the amount of oil. These (cod) liver oil supplements containing 10.000 UI vitamin A helped me control the amount of sebum produced by my body. It's quite weird though, because last week, I had extremely oily skin. Now, it almost seems that my skin has changed from very oily to dry/combination. I even have to moisturize now, which is quite odd!

Do give it some time though, other people may react to these sudden doses of vitamin A differently than others. Give it max. a month, if you do not see any improvement, it might not be the best decision to pursue taking these supplements. I have dark skin. I've noticed immediate changes. My skin tone is a lot brighter, it looks a lot healthier. Those fine lines underneath my eyes, next to my nose suddenly disappeared, my pores shrunk and oil has reduced to about 50% of the original amount produced by my body. This is only the first week, I have to see if even my mild acne is willing to back off. The only downside is, that my skin is starting to flake, this is why I use a moisturizer now. (Was too ignorant to not use a moisturizer, even when I had really extremely oily skin) I will give it a month as well, just be careful though.

You don't want to overdose on this vitamin. I don't see why you should start out taking 25.000 UI each day, just for safety precautions, give it a month. I am definitely not a doctor, far from it. I'm actually just a 17-year old Dutch (the Netherlands, yes, where weed is legal. I know right.) student which is very intrigued of how the skin works. I've done some research and you basically have 7 layers of skin. Each day, those layers "switch" places, so it's basically a circulation. Your breakouts can live weeks underneath the epidermis (the outer layer of our skin) without anyone noticing it yet. What happens with vitamin A is, that the renewing process of the skin (this circulation) speeds up (by the way, don't scrub too vigorously, because it also thins out the skin). It takes about a month before the complete "renewal" of your skin has reached the surface, so that's why you are or will experiencing/experience an initial breakout. Do not panic, give it some time. I hope I've made some sense about it. Sorry for my grammar though, I'm just a kid from Holland. I hope it helped you somehow. Good luck!

Edited by Shello, 18 January 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#4 Shello

Shello

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:41 AM

Sorry for the double posting. But my initial breakout I had yesterday, actually backed down very quickly when I woke up. I did put some benzyl peroxide on some spots, it actually worked really well. Still have to deal with the flakiness. I might change to 1x 10.000 UI of vitamin A per 2 days. Taking it each day seems to make my skin a bit too dry and flaky.

#5 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

if nothing is happening, you can probably stop.

#6 k3tchup

k3tchup

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:13 AM

i did the vitamin A thing 25,000iu and all. Yea it helped some. Less oily skin/scalp.

though i was my own advocate and stopped because i was getting weird side affects after a month of so.

Things that i had were headaches. I dont get headaches usually but these were different.. I did my own research (i do alot of research before taking something nowadays) and found out that vitamin A can actually increasing the inter cranial pressure which is dangerous btw. Vitamin D was giving me terribly sore joints and fatigue as well as abnormal blood pressures. Together i experience hell all for a cure.

I was on alot of Zinc to which can lower b/p. i work in health care so i was checking it regularly and my b/p is usually normal (<120/ <80). I was getting numbers like 105/58 which is extremely low for me.

All in all just watch out and recognize the side affects. its not worth it to mega dose as it will come back when u stop.

Edited by k3tchup, 26 January 2012 - 01:17 AM.

#7 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

I appreciate people's posts and advice. I am older than most of you and i should of put that no one else should be doing this either without strict proper guidance from a medical professional. I personally couldn't care less what happens to me but that is not a responsible attitude for younger people with their whole lives ahead of them. Anyway.

I have now been taking Vitamin A 25,000 Iu for 4 weeks this coming monday.
With this i added 400iu's of Vitamin E to the 2000-4000 Iu's of vitamin D and Vitamin C.

Nothing has really changed to be honest.
The skin on my face is drier but this could be down to washing it twice a day with a new face wash.
​One noticeable thing is that the blackheads on my nose are noticeably larger and i have black heads coming between my eyebrows now.

Some musings:

I am taking Vitamin A to effectively replicate a very low dose of Accutane. Accutane takes time to work on a normal dose so does it take even longer on a low dose? I am effectively on a very very low dose of Accutane so does it mean i need to be extra patient.

​Vitamin D is supposed to protect against Vitamin A toxicity. - Am i actually being counter productive by protecting against Vitamin A toxicity? What are the mechanisms of how Accutane [and hence vitamin a] works? Is it the toxicity which actually damages your body to somehow stop the acne?

Should i be taking Vitamin K. Something that needs to be looked into as it is supposed to interact with Vitamin A and D.

I do some boxing so could be a brutal knock out soon lol.

#8 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

I have been taking about 50,000 IU of vitamin A daily for approximately 2 months now, and it has helped my face somewhat. Not a spectacular cure-all end-all, but It seems to be beneficial.

#9 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

I have also upped mine to 50,000 IU now. Doesn't seem to be making any difference. Knowing Sod well i am probably destroying my liver and guts for no reason. T'is the way i suppose.

I would be interested to know if the fact we are effectively taking a much lower dose of accutane means it might take longer to show results maybe?

when people do low dose accutane does it take longer say.