Photo

I'm A Guy And Want To Use Concealer

concealer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 KLNHL

KLNHL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

I kind of have bad acne blemishes (mostly pigmentation). I'm not trying to put the concealer all over my face to cover up all the spots, just on some so that i don't look like a complete mess. I'm fine with showing some pigmentation and blemishes.

So my questions are
1. Is it going to look dumb if i spot treat some spots with concealer even though I've got a fair amount of pigmentation all over?
2. Is finding a good color to match my skin tough (I have asian skin)?
3. Does concealer wear off during the day?
4. Is it going to be noticeable to other people?
5. Which concealer do you suggest for a guy? I still have some active acne but don't plan on concealing those. I'll probably just use my prescription topicals for that. I just want to hide the pigmentation.

I feel like if i spot treat some pigmented areas it will look dumb.

#2 KLNHL

KLNHL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

and also i was possibly considering the aveeno tinted moisturizer? how is the coverage on these tinted moisturizers and how long will it last? will it blend hide my blemishes?

#3 dreamingofclearskin2011

dreamingofclearskin2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

bro do not do this! alot of people can tell when guys are wearing makeup especially girls. i tried putting makeup on once just on one spot that was a very bad scar on my lip and girls always knew! my friends told me, i was embarrased.

no it will not wear off during the day yes is will look dum in just some spots

honestly how are you going to approach this think about it..

*Walmart make up aisle.. you have to find the right concealer to make your skin perfectly since youre a guy it cant be even a hair off!
you might have to even ask for help unless you have a mirror right in front of you. then when you go to the cashier the hot girl scans the item and people waiting in line behind are like what the??

trust me it wouldnt be smart.
as for a tinted moisturizer this might be better. ive heard they do not cover much though so you can ask for much there.
the BEST route would be to buy a facial sunless tanner! with these you apply it to the face every day as a moisturizer and every day they gradually build a tan on your face and this will blend in all your marks! i bought the jergens natural glow facial moisturizer ive only used it once because i was afraid of breaking out so im not quite sure if it works well but alot of people on the org said that nuetragena build a tan and jerson natural glow for face were the best. so good luck man!

im also asian.. we tan so easily so instead of the tanner i decided to just start tanning in my back yard. its been almost 2 weeks and my face already has some color it doesnt completely hide the marks but it definately does not make them pop out red any more its more of an even skin tone so im just going to keep tanning until my face it completely tan and it will hide this marks for good!

Good luck man! i hope this helped

#4 KLNHL

KLNHL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

I actually just got the murad concealer medium. It's pretty good. It doesn't completely cover the spots entirely but it definitely makes them lighter. It's a little cakey but thats what happens when you put too much. Honestly, I can live with this until my v-beam sessions and then accutane in the summer. It's pretty good. I go back to school tomorrow so we'll see what the critics think then.

#5 PaulH85

PaulH85

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

I'll happily admit that I've tried covering spots with makeup before. I didn't like it, mainly because I didn't really know what I was doing and I was conscious of the fact the makeup would be noticeable in a negative way. I never actually went out when wearing it because the whole point was that I wanted to reduce my self-consciousness and anxiety, not increase it.

As far as your skin is concerned, the general consensus seems to be that makeup can make acne worse, unless of course the products out there which include spot-fighting ingredients do as they claim to, in which case that could be worth some research. If I wanted to look into it properly, I reckon I'd visit somewhere and speak to the professionals so they could help me find the right products and show me how to apply it properly.

So, did you wear makeup to school today?

:)

#6 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

Hiya,

You can spot conceal but you need to be very light-handed doing it - build it up slowly. Also, when you use concealer you are meant to layer it - concealer, powder, concealer powder - this helps keep it on for longer. If your face is red from acne or topicals you might find that spot concealing stands out against the redness.

When you conceal pigmentation or spots you have to blend it out slightly to the surrounding skin so that it doesn't look like you have just dabbed concealer on each spot.

I always think tinted moisturisers are a good idea for boys if you can get a similar match to your skin. My skin always looks fresh when I use tinted moisturiser.

The concealer will probably wear off during the day - if your skin is very oily or if is hot it will wear off quicker. I use a primer to keep my make up on but that might be too much for you.

Also, be careful not to apply makeup to any flaky skin as it will highlight it.

My skin always looks a lot better just by patting a small amount of translucent powder over it - because shine enhances the redness so taking away the shine improves the look of the skin. So maybe you could get away with that instead of the concealer?

And always check your skin outside in the morning daylight rather than in the house as you will be able to see if you have been heavy-handed.

Hope that helps Posted Image

#7 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Spot Concealing looks a little obvious unless your skin is not at all a touch of red. ^^^^Totally agree^^^^ with comment above. Concealing offers a heavier dose of coverage under <generally> foundation. I've yet to meet a person who can use just concealer sans foundation...that be the case they more than likely do not need either. Concealer covers extreme red, while foundation evens tone out. Powder sets concealer/foundation and yada', yada'.
Are you opposed to trying a sunless tanner? It would indeed even out color and spots needed to be concealed? Granted, they may still be some what visible. Though, not as red against light. I would 100% go with sunless tanner in the long run......however a little vitamin D helps.

#8 titoziot

titoziot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

You can use some concealer underneath moisturizer. On skin that isnt flaky, its hard to notice. You want to experiment a bit, applying it with a wet sponge or a brush for example. Liquid is good for that. Or buy the Bare Minerals Bisque concealer. It's a powder, put it RIGHT on the spot, and then put some transluscent powder over your whole face.

I know it can be embarassing as a guy to shop for makeup... why not call your local Mary Kay lady. They'll come to your house, so sure - that might a bit odd - but they work off commision, so she'll hold her disdain in. But she'll show you how to use it and sell you the stuff right there. Just a thought. Good luck Posted Image

http://www.sephora.c...&categoryId=B70

Edited by titoziot, 26 January 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#9 PatrickParker

PatrickParker

OTC hater

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

I mix a small amount of the girlfriends concealer(matte non comogenic one from clynique) with my MANLY moisturizer from neutrogena(its "For men" lol) on my finger tips and put it on AFTER I moisturize which is AFTER I apply SA or BP. I lightly PRESS it onto my face. I also use the tea trea gel concealer from bodyshop to take the edge off a zit. And yeah, you have to match it with your skin colour or else you're going to look like a french noble from the late 1700s. Use a very small amount and don't go overboard. Also, you might want to google men's makeup and bronzing powder. Type of stuff fellas have been using since the 50s to look pretty. I'm pretty sure Don Draper would have used concealer if he got a zit.

#10 californiaEstie

californiaEstie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

I used Benefit's Boing concealer on my boyfriend's nose ( he picked it bad boy ) the other night and if you know how to pat it on it looks completely natural.

#11 guillotineSavvy

guillotineSavvy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

Almay is a very good brand for keeping the blemish prone in mind. Most of their make-ups are non comodegenic, and some of them contain salicylic acid.

#12 Valairiel

Valairiel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

I use a concealer, and a tinted moisturizer. And i would encourage anyone boy/girl if they feel insecure about their skin, and would like to cover up blemishes and spots to get a concealer.

It is harder for boys, as to look natural, but it can be achieved!. The most important thing is to get the colour matching correctly or it will just look wrong.

I use MAC's select cover up in NW20, and it works well for me. You can get green concealers to go under a normal concealer to cancel out any redness, I've not used a green concealer but i'm told they do work. I use a little on spots and blemishes and under my eye area, blended in with a concealer brush.

I also use a tinted moisturizer by Bobbi brown and i think it's brilliant. it looks natural, i don't mind a few blemishes showing through as i'm a boy. The bobbi brown range have good colour choices, the one I use is also oil free, which is good for my oily skin, and has an SPF +15

The tinted moisturiser lasts me all day even though i only use a very thin layer. when buying a concealer look at the ingredients, you don't want to buy something that will react badly with acne, usually higher end products contain high quality ingredients, but it's not always the case, some drug store products have been known to work just as well if not better than high end brands.

I would say the most important factors for using any makeup are
  • the colour match.
  • the application.
If you get these 2 right, you should be fine. Posted Image

M.

#13 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Ain't nothin' but a thang. Get yourself some Almay SmartShade Concealer (probably light/medium for Asian skin?) and very carefully apply. If you apply it sparingly and don't try to complete coverage, you can make things look better without anyone noticing. I use it from time to time if I absolutely have to, but luckily I stay clear from The Regimen, so I rarely need it. See the what I use page for more.