Photo

My Retin-A Journey.

retin-a tretinoin 0.025% cream

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Elvisman11

Elvisman11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

A few months ago, my family doctor prescribed me 0.025% Retin-A cream and doxycycline for my acne. I used the cream and took the 100mg pills (twice a day) for a few weeks after the prescription was filled. However, the Retin-A cream started to severely irritate my face and and neck. My acne became more severe, the dryness became unbearable, and my face looked as red as a ripe tomato. It was rough. I went back to the doctor, and he said I should wait for my face to calm down for a few weeks and then slowly ease myself back on the cream. I never did. He said that he would refer me to a dermatologist, so I could get a better treatment. Well, I found out that the dermatologist office is booked for the next 4 - 6 months, and I'm sick of waiting around and breaking out. My face is now back to normal, and I feel like I'm ready to try the Retin-A again. I thought that creating this log would help me stay strong and hopefully help me realize that I'm not the only one going through this long journey.

I'll try to update this log every week or so. Tonight (11/16/11) will be my first night back on the Retin-A 0.025% cream.
I plan on easing myself back on the cream. I'll start using it every three nights for the next week or two. Then, I'll switch to every other night. If there isn't any sign of severe irritation or redness after that, then I'll try using it every night.

I really hope it works this time. Posted Image

#2 gems2889

gems2889

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

hi and welcome whenever u get to see ur derm ask for retina a micro or atriln I think thats the name of it. they arent as irrating as the cream. you can most likely tolarate that. are u still takin doxy? good luck on ur treatmeant.

#3 Elvisman11

Elvisman11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

hi and welcome whenever u get to see ur derm ask for retina a micro or atriln I think thats the name of it. they arent as irrating as the cream. you can most likely tolarate that. are u still takin doxy? good luck on ur treatmeant.

Yes; I am still taking the doxy. I've been taking it for about 3 or 4 months now (for both acne and another problem that it helps with). I take the 100mg pills twice a day (morning & night). They don't seem to be doing anything for my acne, though.

Since my regular physician was the one that originally prescribed the Retin-A cream, I'll contact his office tonight and see if he can switch me over to Retin-A Micro. I've read a little about Atralin, but I'm not exactly sure what it is yet. If my doctor can't prescribed any of the two (since he's not a dermatologist), I'll just have to stick with the cream until I can actually get in to see a derm.

#4 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 27
About Me

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:00 AM

Not sure if you are already doing this but it might help just to use it 3 times a week and gradually increase to every night as your skin gets used to it. :)

#5 Elvisman11

Elvisman11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

I contacted my doctor's office a few days ago, and he now prescribed me Tretinoin Gel 0.025%. He told me that this shouldn't irritate me as much as the cream.
I wanted to be prescribed Retin-A Micro, but my insurance won't cover it. So I'll just have to try the gel out.

I'll start using the gel tonight and update this log in a few days.

#6 Elvisman11

Elvisman11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

Week One:

Well, I've been using the 0.025% gel for a week now. So far, I have noticed that my skin is very soft to the touch, and my red marks/scars are starting to fade. I really haven't gotten an IB yet, but the gel's instructional packet said that the IB will most likely come around week three.

I'm really glad that I was prescribed the gel, because I'm not suffering from any of the horrendous things that I suffered with the cream version. My skin is a little dry and flaky, but that can be easily taken care of.

Other than that, there's really nothing else to report. So, I'll update this log in another week and hopefully have more good news. Posted Image

#7 Elvisman11

Elvisman11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Week Two:

The initial breakout and redness have finally started. My face looks absolutely horrible right now, and I find myself picking at it more and more each day. Most of the time, I am unaware of the picking. Hopefully, I can try and break this horrible habit.

Other than that, the Retin-A really isn't causing me too much more irritation. The dryness, stinging, and flakiness get better each day. I'm going to see this treatment through 'till the end!

Edited by Elvisman11, 07 December 2011 - 06:09 PM.

#8 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

Good look with everything. I am approaching Week 3 on my regimen of Ziana at night and Aczone/Finacea in the day. My face has recently become more flushed and irritated with peeling and my forehead is breaking out in small red NOTICEABLE bumps like crazy. With any regimen, i think it will get worse before it gets better. Stick with it for a few months and remember we're all here to support each other.

#9 Elvisman11

Elvisman11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

Week Four:

I'm finally one month in! Only about two more to go!
Over the past two weeks, I have noticed my skin is gradually starting to clear up again. During week two, my forehead and temporal regions broke out quite a bit. I found this odd, because those areas barely ever have a bad breakout before. However, those pimples are starting to dry up and flake off. My cheeks and chin barely breakout anymore, but the scars of past breakouts still linger (though they are also starting to fade a bit).

As for the horrible picking habit, I'm finally breaking it. My job has been keeping me extremely busy and I just don't have the time to the sit and pick at myself.

My dryness and flakiness seems to be staying the same.

#10 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 27
About Me

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

Im bad at picking too, and your right when you are busy its much easier to just ignore it! I think someone else on here was commenting that its best not to look in the mirror - I try and do that but cant help myself! so vain! lol.

#11 Elvisman11

Elvisman11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Week Seven (I Think):

Almost two months in.

These past three or so weeks have had their ups and downs. That breakout on my forehead is now starting to gradually clear up, my redness can be gone one day and come back fully the next, and my scars are slowly starting to fade (I might buy some Mederma to help speed the process up). During the holidays, I took a week off from the Retin-A and just simply washed my face in the morning. I didn't really seem to breakout due to this, but I have noticed that the gel's sting has come back when I place it on my face. Other than that, though, my skin isn't really dry. It's flaky, but not dry.

I still suffer from little breakouts from time to time, but I've read that the Retin-A isn't really suppose to kick in until around the twelve week mark. Let's hope that this will be the case for me.

Im bad at picking too, and your right when you are busy its much easier to just ignore it! I think someone else on here was commenting that its best not to look in the mirror - I try and do that but cant help myself! so vain! lol.

My picking has become slightly better over the past few weeks, and I've taken your advice on not looking in the mirror as much. The only times I really look at myself is when I'm either shaving (while shaving cream is covering my face) and while washing my face in the mornings. It does sort of help.

#12 Elvisman11

Elvisman11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

Week Eight:

Two months! Posted Image

There's not a whole lot to report this week. My face is still gradually clearing up. However, my chin area is a little dry, and my entire face is starting to flake again. Redness is gradually going down and scars are starting to lighten up a bit.