72 replies to this topic

#21 BSDetector

BSDetector

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (2097 @ Feb 26 2011, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What I love about ignorant youngsters like BS Detector is that they think they can swoop in and save the day. His immaturity really shows. Go do your "homework".

The sebaceous gland ONLY releases fatty acids. Can sugar cause acne? NO! Refined sugar is known to bring the immune system down for a couple hours but its impossible for it to cause Acne. For all those that ignored my post; your loss. Acne is only the beginning, than comes heart disease with insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes and the finale is Cancer.

Enjoy your life and when you get Cancer. Remember who told you so.

Posted Image

Ignorant youngsters? I'm 26. I've probably had acne for about as long as you've been alive.

Sugar intake has been linked to acne through the insulin spike it causes, which in turn affects the androgenic hormones that stimulate the production of sebum. You clearly do not understand biological processes.

I might very well get cancer. Then again, everybody is getting it these days. The difference is, when I get my cancer, I'll know I enjoyed eating whatever I wanted and didn't waste my time avoiding the most enjoyable thing in life...eating all the foods I actually like. You, on the other hand...best case scenario is you avoid cancer and die of something a little less painful at an older age, while living a dull life without meat, dairy, grains, chocolate, or sugar.

Worst case scenario is you get cancer anyway and are kicking yourself for not enjoying actually GOOD food while you still could.

But hey, when you get YOUR cancer, you can always "cure" it by giving yourself coffee enemas and eating tropical fruits. Remember, every single disease there is can be cured naturally, and humans will live forever if they just buy your $29.99 book on how to do it the natural way. Also, be sure to check out the clinics in Tijuana...with starting low prices of $1,499. You'll even throw in three free coffee enemas and some star fruit.

Edited by BSDetector, 26 February 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#22 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (BSDetector @ Feb 26 2011, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2. Numerous studies link numerous different food groups to acne to the point where there's nothing left to eat.

There is plenty left to eat. And not only will you improve your acne, you will be improving all aspects of health preventing/reducing/reversing all kinds of health conditions you may not even realize you are developing. Because the diet that's good for acne is the way humans were meant to eat.

Visit the Nutrition board and you find tons of people who cleared their skin via diet and lifestyle changes. And we enjoy our diets and health and look forward to a long healthy life while the majority of the people around us become sickly and decrepit.

Genetics only counts for a percentage of your likelihood to develop acne, diabetes, heart disease, cancers, etc. The rest is what you do to yourself. It's mostly what you do to yourself.

But I do agree that this chocolate study or at least the conclusions they draw from it are flawed. Some people are very sensitive to caffeine and breakout from any amount of it. And some people may have an intolerance that may cause them to break out. But other than those things, it's usually the glycemic impact, which does affect everyone. But they say there's no sugar in this 'pure chocolate.' And they say every one of those people had increased breakouts.

It could be the glycemic impact of binge eating. And maybe chocolate is very insulinemic

#23 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

So cocoa is very insulinemic. I still haven't found a score for 'pure chocolate', but here's a study on cocoa:

Cocoa Powder Increases Postprandial Insulinemia in Lean Young Adults
http://jn.nutrition....33/10/3149.full

So I think it's possible the breakouts may be due to binge eating a very insulinemic food which would screw up hormones as much as high glycemic diets. But there's still the issue with how fast the breakouts occurred according to the article.

The amino acids leucine, valine, lysine, and isoleucine are insulinogenic proteins, and they’re high in diary, highest in whey. And cocoa seems to be high in those, I guess.:

this is for 1 oz/28g of plain cocoa: A tablespoon would be 5 grams.
Protein
g
11%

Isoleucine
mg

Leucine
mg

Lysine
mg

Valine
mg

Read More http://nutritiondata...2#ixzz1F7Glgvs6

This is the protein breakout for 3 oz of Cod to compare:
Protein
g
39%

Isoleucine
mg

Leucine
mg

Lysine
mg

Valine
mg

Read More http://nutritiondata...2#ixzz1F7GGF74m

Edited by alternativista, 27 February 2011 - 05:30 PM.

#24 joris

joris

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:52 AM

I guess we cant eat 70%+ pure chocolate anymore... Cocoa in smoothies neither.

ps. alternate I dont know if they forgot to meassure omega 3's but it might also be that the ratio of omega3s and omega6s are screwed up besides the insulinemic response... And caffeine/Theobromine might be doing something with stress. (Although some studies show caffeine can improve liver function, at least in reasonable amounts.)

#25 Guest_Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh_*

Guest_Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

^^ hey but there was alot of that trypthopan in it, which improves mood right?? so its thats y chocolate/cocoa gives u good moods? eusa_think.gif
does someone knows if sugary stuffs also contain alot of this tryptophan (also thyrosine?)?
if so then i understand y cocoa+sugar=chocolate=happy face
buut which thing exactly from all that list is whats bad for acne? :/

#26 joris

joris

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:00 AM

the general insulinic response, perhaps the omegas and perhaps the caffeine

#27 Guest_Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh_*

Guest_Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:33 AM

mkay thnx joris, ill keep that in mind eusa_think.gif
*runz off to make some raw chocolate right naow* >3>

#28 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (joris @ Feb 27 2011, 05:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess we cant eat 70%+ pure chocolate anymore... Cocoa in smoothies neither.

ps. alternate I dont know if they forgot to meassure omega 3's but it might also be that the ratio of omega3s and omega6s are screwed up besides the insulinemic response... And caffeine/Theobromine might be doing something with stress. (Although some studies show caffeine can improve liver function, at least in reasonable amounts.)

If it was caffeine then they should have been testing coffee and tea. Some people do break out from it, even small amounts. But most of us don't seem to.

I still find it very suspect that they claim every person in the test had increased breakouts. Maybe the writer of the article didn't get all the details straight. I also think having them eat it all in one sitting is an odd test. And would think that binging on the stuff is a big factor.

#29 wibble

wibble

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:36 AM

It also seems a bit odd that the people diagnosed with acne, had an _average_ of 3 pimples. Doesn't that seem a tad low ? Ie for it to be an average, assuming some had more, there would have to be people with maybe 0 or just 1 pimple. Feels like a very low average. Still an interesting study, but would be a lot more interesting with more detail to it.

#30 Acnesucks33

Acnesucks33

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:34 AM

Wow chocolate causing pimples... There really desperate if they think that's true. Lol

#31 Acnesucks33

Acnesucks33

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:34 AM

Wow chocolate causing pimples... There really desperate if they think that's true. Lol

#32 pinkunicorn

pinkunicorn

meow`

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

^ It doesn't cause acne, it simply makes it worse. A lot of things make acne worse, but it's not the same for everybody. They're* not really desperate because they probably don't even have acne. They're just trying to do studies that might help those of us who do suffer with acne.

#33 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing, feline rescue volunteering, music

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on these findings just yet. There are quite a few limitations and problems that I see.

#1. The study is not currently published, so we don't have access to the actual details of the study as described by the researchers who conducted it. This is important to get the most accurate picture of how the study was conducted and any limitations regarding the results.

#2. Very small sample size (n=10). Its hard to generalize to the overall population of acne sufferers based on a sample size of 10 men (why no women, I wonder?) who already had active acne. Even the proposed follow-up study seems too small to be meaningful (n=28).

#3. It was not a controlled experimental study (no control group, no random assignment), so you cannot say anything about causation - this limitation is actually mentioned in the article.

#4. Since the research is not published, it has not gone through a peer-review process. The quality of the research is therefore unknown at this time.

Hard to say more than that without reading the actual study and looking at the description of the methodology, procedures and raw data.

#34 biggs881

biggs881

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (willow569 @ Mar 7 2011, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on these findings just yet. There are quite a few limitations and problems that I see.

#1. The study is not currently published, so we don't have access to the actual details of the study as described by the researchers who conducted it. This is important to get the most accurate picture of how the study was conducted and any limitations regarding the results.

#2. Very small sample size (n=10). Its hard to generalize to the overall population of acne sufferers based on a sample size of 10 men (why no women, I wonder?) who already had active acne. Even the proposed follow-up study seems too small to be meaningful (n=28).

#3. It was not a controlled experimental study (no control group, no random assignment), so you cannot say anything about causation - this limitation is actually mentioned in the article.

#4. Since the research is not published, it has not gone through a peer-review process. The quality of the research is therefore unknown at this time.

Hard to say more than that without reading the actual study and looking at the description of the methodology, procedures and raw data.

^^^ Pay very close attention to this lady. She knows what she's talking about.

#35 Reti

Reti

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

Maybe they can control the new study with carob. White chocolate, which is made without pure cocoa, but does have a lot of the cocoa butter in it, would also be a useful comparison.

Edited by Reti, 12 April 2011 - 01:30 AM.

#36 Reti

Reti

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:26 AM

You know, another thing just occurred to me... There was prelim research recently about modern diets, especially bread-containing ones... Pure cocoa includes high levels of bromine. One of the treatments for iodine poisoning is by eating chocolate made with pure cocoa, as bromine displaces iodine. Ancient bread-making used iodine in the process. Modern commercial bread making uses bromine instead usually. What if this bread & chocolate connection to acne is actually the result of excessive bromine (which technically is not needed by the body at all and is considered a toxin), and thereby the displacement of and deficiency of iodine in the diet? People don't actually get that much iodine from table salt. And iodine is extremely important to hormones, their regulation, and the immune system. In fact, every year more startling stuff is discovered about its role and you can never seem to underestimate its importance in mammals. Much of the details about why it's so important in all these systems is still unknown. It's the heaviest element essential to complex life. Another odd thing: iodine deficiency can present as many of the same symptoms as having too much iodine and supposedly much of the often-cited research done in the past on the subject was flawed. So, maybe ingesting bromine and not enough iodine might explain what’s going on? It’s hard to understand how this could just be again related to blood sugar levels and insulin if this was unsweetened pure pressed cocoa bars. Because the sweetened, cheap normal chocolate bars apparently have not consistently shown this result.

Edited by Reti, 12 April 2011 - 01:28 AM.

#37 Reti

Reti

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:48 AM

WOW. One of the results of Bromism (adverse health from too much bromine) is listed as acne on wikipeda.

#38 Reti

Reti

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:51 AM

"The presence of theobromine renders chocolate toxic to some animals,[2] especially dogs and cats."

Autism. Thyroid disease. Acne. Certain new gastrointestinal & digestive disorders that didn't exist at significant amounts just a few decades ago. Skyrocketing statistics of breast cancer. Like this gluten insensitivity thing. There was a recent study done using old samples of blood and found people did not have that problem in the USA just a few decades ago beyond the certain low percentage that have severe reactions to it due to a genetic disorder. Bromine has no use in the human body at all and yet is now the cheap alternative to iodine, particularly in food processing and additives. It's naturally in cocoa, but it's in most commercial bread and many other carb products now, some soft drinks, orange Gatorade, on and on. Maybe we're offsetting the iodine displacement in the west somewhat, but the bromine seems to cause adverse effects directly, as well. Hmmm....

Edited by Reti, 12 April 2011 - 02:05 AM.

#39 joris

joris

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:12 AM

wow indeed

#40 travelzd

travelzd

travelzd

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

HEY! just remember pple this study had pple eatting 8 oz and more of chocolate!! I think that would also make me fat, doesn't mean chocolate causes pple to be overweight either, all it means is don't go overboard! I do think milk, fat, and choclate can cause acne if eatten in excess but I 've been limiting them and doing fine no new break outs so i say go ahead and have a little:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users