Photo

The link between acne & chocolates is no longer a myth

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#1 giveback

giveback

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

Feb. 8, 2011 (New Orleans) -- What your mother always told you may be true after all: Chocolate may make acne worse, a small preliminary study suggests.

Young men who ate up to 8 ounces of chocolate saw their average number of pimples skyrocket from fewer than four to as many as 70.

And the more chocolate they ate, the more they broke out -- a finding that further supports the idea that the worsening of acne was due to eating the chocolate, says study researcher Samantha Block, a second-year medical student at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

click link to continue reading

http://www.webmd.com...make-acne-worse

#2 BeadyB

BeadyB

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:54 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is terrible news.
When you're going through hell, keep going.

#3 --Val Pal--

--Val Pal--

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:04 AM

but can this be the choc? or the caffeine in choc? or some other ingredient in choc like sugar? they should do more studies. sideways.gif
old regimen: proactiv, sometimes other cleansers
new regimen: Aveeno ultra calming foam cleanser
-Sometimes I add the AVON light exfoliating beads into the cleanser in my hand to exfoliate
-Witch Hazel as an astringent
-Neutrogena face moisturizer for sensitive skin (at night 2 drops of jojoba oil)

If needed:
-Sometimes I use St. Ives green tea cleaner for acne
-Neutrogena BP 2.5% for spot treatment

Make-up:
L'oreal True Match press powder( any recommendations on natural make up with good coverage??)
Avon smooth minerals concealer (they stopped making this product though, so I am looking for a good concealer, recommendations please!)

diet: 2-3 cups of green tea a day, trying to make food diet better

vitamins: currently looking for a good brand of fish or krill oil

#4 treefase93

treefase93

Tall, pale, and gloomy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:12 AM

llooooooool

Edited by treefase93, 24 February 2011 - 06:16 PM.

#5 giveback

giveback

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:38 AM

"Previous studies looking at chocolate and acne used sweetened chocolate that contained sugar, milk, and other ingredients that themselves can aggravate the skin condition, says researcher Caroline Caperton, MD, MSPH, senior clinical research fellow in dermatology at the University of Miami.

The fact that the current study used unadulterated chocolate, made of 100% cocoa, is a major advantage, she says.

Some of the ingredients in pure chocolate that might exacerbate acne are caffeine and its cousin theobromine, which is known to have pore-clogging properties, Caperton tells WebMD."

#6 Idolator

Idolator

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm pretty sure sugar is the cause of my acne. :/

So, kind of sucks that there's even more proof to show me this...bleh.

#7 Lee1234

Lee1234

Wanderer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

Interesting find, makes me angry that i've had to listen to family members lecture me about how chocolate doesn't make your acne worst BLAH BLAH BLAH, this alongside milk, it seems the old myths are being proven wrong one after the other, I wonder what will be next?

Edited by Lee1234, 24 February 2011 - 05:27 PM.

"Long hair makes a good looking man, beautiful and an ugly man fierce"

#8 joris

joris

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:49 AM

why isnt there a link to the study ??
I dont agree with what I posted in the nutrition section anymore. I just think its not worth it. People worrying about food and acne all day in order to improve their life somehow while they are actually just digging a bigger hole for themselfs. The only reason to eat right should be to feel a bit better. Because the chances you will be able to reduce your acne in such an amount that its worth the effort instead of just trying a new topical is astronomicly low.

Basically get a low effort topical like differin or something more harsh if that doesnt work and just start living the life you want to live!
Retired!

#9 Guest_Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh_*

Guest_Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

well fuk! i so far allways thought i can at least make raw chocolate from pure cocoa powder, but now even that no? blehh..dry.gif

@lee1234
everything else?

#10 raw_bebe

raw_bebe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

I will have to say that I have experienced breakouts from 90% dark chocolate bars with very, very little sugar. I knew it aggravated my acne, but I thought that it was maybe just an allergic reaction, since chocolate supposedly wasn't supposed to cause acne.

But I definitely noticed a connection for myself.

#11 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (joris @ Feb 25 2011, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why isnt there a link to the study ??

The article stated at the end:
These findings were presented at a medical conference. They should be considered preliminary as they have not yet undergone the "peer review" process, in which outside experts scrutinize the data prior to publication in a medical journal.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#12 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

So, they are saying that they all got pimples from this? Every one of them? Even those that had only 4 oz? And the new pimples appeared within 4 days?

Because I am very acne prone, but with my diet and lifestyle habits I've cleared and mostly kept my skin clear. And I have chocolate pretty much everyday. I have a tablespoon of plain pure cocoa powder which contains the caffeine and theobromine. And I have some low sugar bittersweet chocolate that is not pure, and probably not more than 1 oz. But again, I do this every day.

Also, the article says they ate it in one sitting. So, there's the binge-eating factor to consider. How many calories are in 4-8 oz of pure chocolate. And what do they mean by pure chocolate?

They got these people to eat pure chocolate? So many people can't even deal with dark chocolate of not necessarily high cacao percentage. As much as they wanted, eh? How much did the want?
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#13 switch124

switch124

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

Processed chocolate bars always broke me out but the chocolate I make doesn't. Check it out, its very easy to make and doesn't break me out. Some say it is very intense, but I LOVE it. This isn't my recipe btw.

1 cup Virgin Coconut oil, melted

1 cup WonderCocoa This is a caffeine free cocoa powder. If you cant find it that is fine, just use Hersheys or whatever you can find. Just check the lables for added ingrediants.

Pinch of Sea Salt

1-2 Tablespoons of Stevia Plus + 1/4-1/2 Teaspoon Kal Stevia (I just use a little more than 1 tbsp regular stevia, adjust to your taste)

1 Tablespoon Vanilla (I always add the vanilla) or Almond or Peppermint or whatever creation you want to try. I will sometimes use vanilla and a bit of coconut flavoring. You need to find a brand that doesnt contain any sugar and if possible no alcohol, it will feed the yeast (this chocolate was originally created for those on a candida diet, hence the yeast).

Extras you can add if you would like (I ALWAYS add maybe a cup or a little less of unsweetened shredded coconut, it adds a little more coconut taste and thickens the chocolate so it doesn't melt as quick. Also it makes more with less coconut oil and cocoa and both those can be expensive.)

Chopped nuts such as walnuts, pecans, almonds. About 2 handfulls is what I do.

Nuc or melt oil in glass bowl or pan on stove on low. Mix the coconut oil and cocoa together in a large bowl. Blend well and no lumps remain. Warming the oil help alot. Add the sea salt, flavoring and stevia/s and mix well. Make sure you mix well as the stevia is sometimes hard to mix all over. If the mixture gets a bit stiff it could be cooling down to quickly so just pop it in the microwave slightly so it will be pourable.

Spread out onto a lightly sprayed sheet or cover it will foil or plastic wrap that is the same size as the pan. This will help it come out of the pan better. Now a cookie sheet will make a thin chocolate but if you use a 13x9 pan it will make it much thicker. Freeze this mixture for about 1/2 hour or so depending on the thickness. Break into pieces and put them into freezer bag or container and keep frozen.

To break the thicker batch into pieces I use a kitchen mallet and knife.

#14 BSDetector

BSDetector

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:38 AM

I know all kinds of people who eat chocolate who don't have acne.

I know, I know..."it only affects those who are prone to acne"...whatever. Let's just look at all the things people claim causes acne:

-Dairy
-Meat
-Carbs
-Sugars
-Chocolate

There goes basically the entire food pyramid. Oh wait, you can still eat fruits and vegetables. Woo hoo. Good luck getting enough calories and not keeling over from exhaustion and hunger on your non-dairy, non-meat, low-carb, no sugar/chocolate diet.

Keep in mind, food is the best thing in life. I'll take the worst acne in the world and being able to eat whatever I want over having perfect skin and having to give up things I enjoy eating.
Foods to avoid: Meat, dairy, fruits, vegetables, grains, fats/sweets....
Crediblity-ending words: "Leaky Gut," "Tea Tree Oil," "toxins," "milk is meant for baby cows," "over-washing causes your skin to produce more oil," "mild soap," "green tea," "jojoba oil," "comedogenic," "veggies," "amazing," "creepy," "yummy," "regime," "stress"

#15 joris

joris

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:32 AM

OK BSDetector you start with saying the most ignorant statement ever: "I know all kinds of people who eat chocolate who don't have acne. " And say whatever to a very good response to your BS claim. You dont give an argument. You just say whatever. Basically: I dont care.

Then you sum up things people say that causes acne (not that the majority claims that meat causes acne). And say there is nothing left to eat. Whatever that argument is worth. Then you say exhaustion and hunger. Well ehm you can eat enough easily on a fruit based diet. (If you would want). And ps there are no eggs and fish on your list.

Then you give us a personal argument that you dont think its worth the effort. Saying like it should apply to anyone and that we should be ashamed to post these kind of things. What is that for twisted idea? Why cant anyone deside for themselfs if they find it worth their effort. Why would your opinion make this treath less worth full?

ps. There are studies that show a correlation between diet and acne. Whats your response to that? Also whatever, I dont care.
I dont agree with what I posted in the nutrition section anymore. I just think its not worth it. People worrying about food and acne all day in order to improve their life somehow while they are actually just digging a bigger hole for themselfs. The only reason to eat right should be to feel a bit better. Because the chances you will be able to reduce your acne in such an amount that its worth the effort instead of just trying a new topical is astronomicly low.

Basically get a low effort topical like differin or something more harsh if that doesnt work and just start living the life you want to live!
Retired!

#16 2097

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

What I love about ignorant youngsters like BS Detector is that they think they can swoop in and save the day. His immaturity really shows. Go do your "homework".

The sebaceous gland ONLY releases fatty acids. Can sugar cause acne? NO! Refined sugar is known to bring the immune system down for a couple hours but its impossible for it to cause Acne. For all those that ignored my post; your loss. Acne is only the beginning, than comes heart disease with insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes and the finale is Cancer.

Enjoy your life and when you get Cancer. Remember who told you so.

Posted Image

Edited by 2097, 26 February 2011 - 10:21 AM.

#17 joris

joris

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

Can sugar cause acne? NO! Refined sugar is known to bring the immune system down for a couple hours but its impossible for it to cause Acne.

Well:
Insulin like Growth Factor Binding Protein -3 (IGFBP-3)

You now have the background to understand how the glycemic load works
and how highly glycemic foods adversely influence your blood insulin levels.
From Chapter 4, you know that one of the very first steps involved in the
formation of the closed comedo is the blockage of the follicle by overly adherent
corneocytes that form rough scales. You also know that corneocytes become
overly cohesive to one another because there is a delay in, or impairment of,
apoptosis (programmed cell death) in keratinocytes that prevents the
desmosomes from disintegrating at the proper time. One of the most important
hormones in the body that influences apoptosis is called IGFBP-3 (insulin like
growth factor binding protein 3). Higher blood concentrations of IGFBP-3
accelerate apoptosis, whereas lower levels inhibit apoptosis. So, in order for the
keratinocytes to get their timing right and die on time, the blood concentration of
IGFBP-3 needs to fall into the right range.

Insulin is a master hormone and what it does influences almost all other
hormones in the body, either directly or indirectly. High levels of insulin will
reduce circulating levels of IGFBP-3
, so when you eat high glycemic load carbs
all day long, your blood concentrations of IGFBP-3 are going to fall, thereby
delaying apoptosis in the keratinocytes lining the follicle. The delay in apoptosis
partially prevents the desmosomes from fully disintegrating.

Insulin like Growth Factor 1 (IGF-1)

But there is more to it than just IGFBP-3 when it comes to hormones that
can influence mechanisms that can block the pore. Once again, because insulin
is a master hormone, it also affects another hormone called free IGF-1 (insulin
like growth factor 1) which also is involved in the process that forms closed
comedones. For virtually all cells in the body, free IGF-1 is a potent stimulator of
cell growth and proliferation (formation). High levels of insulin in your
bloodstream can cause blood levels of free IGF-1 to rise.
Remember from
Chapter 4 that the overly adherent corneocytes that ultimately block the pore
develop from excessively proliferating keratinocytes deeper down in the epithelial
cells lining the follicle. So, high glycemic load carbs elevate insulin. Insulin in
turn elevates free IGF-1. Free IGF-1 may stimulate the overproduction of
keratinocytes, which eventually develop into the corneocytes, which eventually
block the opening of the follicle.
I will shortly show you how other dietary
elements also promote excessive keratinocyte proliferation.
One final note on the IGF-1/ IGFBP-3 story: hormones do not act singly
but rather like a symphony orchestra in which we hear the sum total of all
instruments. IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 can bind one another at the surface of cells.
When they do this, it impairs the action of IGFBP-3, which normally promotes
apoptosis or cell death.
When keratinocytes dont die on time, it promotes acne.
So the binding of IGF-1 to IGFBP-3 is not a good thing for acne sufferers
because as with high glycemic load carbs, it, in effect, reduces IGFBP-3.
Dietary elements are known to promote IGF-1 to IGFBP-3 binding. IGF-1
and IGFBP-3 are more likely to bind one another when high concentrations of a
substance called “transglutaminase” appear at cell surfaces. In certain people,
consumption of wheat or any food made from wheat can cause increased
transglutaminase to be produced by various cells throughout the body.
So, high glycemic load foods composed of refined grains made from
wheat, may do double damage – they reduce IGFBP-3 production in the liver
from their high glycemic load, and they impair IGFBP-s utilization within cells by
increasing the likelihood of it binding to IGF-1 rather than to keratinocytes.

and:
The second major proximate cause of acne is the over production of
sebum (oil) by the sebaceous glands within the pilosebaceous unit. It is well
established that excessive male hormones (androgens) in the bloodstream of
both males and females can trigger the sebaceous gland to produce too much
sebum. But the essential question is how do androgens get elevated in the first
place?
High glycemic load carbs and dairy products set into play a hormonal
cascade (elevated insulin, elevated IGF-1 and reduced SHBG) that causes
increases in blood levels of androgens in both men and women. It is this
increase in blood levels of the male hormone which directly causes the
sebaceous glands to produce too much oil.

source: dietary cure for acne - loren cordain

Edited by joris, 26 February 2011 - 01:38 PM.

Retired!

#18 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

Keep the board rules in mind, including no name-calling or bickering. ;

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#19 Lee1234

Lee1234

Wanderer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh @ Feb 25 2011, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well fuk! i so far allways thought i can at least make raw chocolate from pure cocoa powder, but now even that no? blehh..dry.gif

@lee1234
everything else?

other myths like not washing and M'bating ( "boys sexy time") doesn't make acne worst, this has been drilled into my head by my older, never had acne in my entire life, cousins so I hope that eventually this "myth" will also be proven wrong eventually because acne, be it adult or adolescent, is a subject that I wish was looked further into and given a little more importance in the world of scientific studies :/

"Long hair makes a good looking man, beautiful and an ugly man fierce"

#20 BSDetector

BSDetector

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (joris @ Feb 26 2011, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK BSDetector you start with saying the most ignorant statement ever: "I know all kinds of people who eat chocolate who don't have acne. " And say whatever to a very good response to your BS claim. You dont give an argument. You just say whatever. Basically: I dont care.

An ignorant claim? How so?

I DO know many people who eat chocolate and don't have acne. That stems from this thing called "knowledge," not "ignorance."

And yes, my response to the idea that chocolate makes acne worse essentially amounts to, "who cares?" Chocolate isn't the cause of acne. And chocolate isn't the only thing linked to "exacerbating acne."

Pretty much every food in existence has been at one time or another linked to worsening the condition. What does that tell you?

Then you sum up things people say that causes acne (not that the majority claims that meat causes acne). And say there is nothing left to eat. Whatever that argument is worth. Then you say exhaustion and hunger. Well ehm you can eat enough easily on a fruit based diet. (If you would want). And ps there are no eggs and fish on your list.

Actually, numerous types of sea food have been linked to worsening acne as well.

It's laughable that you think you can "easily eat enough" on a fruit based diet. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Then you give us a personal argument that you dont think its worth the effort. Saying like it should apply to anyone and that we should be ashamed to post these kind of things. What is that for twisted idea? Why cant anyone deside for themselfs if they find it worth their effort. Why would your opinion make this treath less worth full?

That paragraph gives me a headache.

ps. There are studies that show a correlation between diet and acne. Whats your response to that? Also whatever, I dont care.

My response is twofold:

1. Correlation does not imply causation. Something apparently 99% of this forum fails to understand.
2. Numerous studies link numerous different food groups to acne to the point where there's nothing left to eat. I wouldn't give up a single food group to "cure" my acne. Food is better than sex. Acne is a mere nuisance.
Foods to avoid: Meat, dairy, fruits, vegetables, grains, fats/sweets....
Crediblity-ending words: "Leaky Gut," "Tea Tree Oil," "toxins," "milk is meant for baby cows," "over-washing causes your skin to produce more oil," "mild soap," "green tea," "jojoba oil," "comedogenic," "veggies," "amazing," "creepy," "yummy," "regime," "stress"