Photo

Staring at a computer screen alot? Look in here.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#21 denialz

denialz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (crystal_willow @ Jun 20 2010, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ben90 @ Jun 17 2010, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right, so first off il say i've had acne for a long time, all through my teens so its not a recent thing. I've always played alot of computer games, starting off with consoles and moving onto the PC when I got upto like 16, and this is when my acne started getting worse.

Now im assuming that if most people here are like me, they spend hours inside on the PC staring at a bright monitor because their too ashamed to go out. I also realise that oil production is the main reason for acne, after all without the excess oil you dont get spots, hence accutanes effectiveness most of the time.

The reason I started this thread is because for me, there is a CLEAR correlation between looking at a computer screen and oil production. The longer I look at one, the more oily my skin becomes, and the pores around the side my nose become noticeably larger. I've spoken to a couple others who also found this to be the case, but for some reason never connected the two.

Now though, i've barely touched my computer that I play CSS on for almost 2 weeks, and only used the laptops for 30 mins max without a break and I have to say the difference in oil production is actually INSANE! Its more than halved, without being generous. As a result, my skin is becoming a fair amount better, and I am only recovering from my 2 week binge on the computer since I left it. Since I have had only one new spot, ONE!

I honestly urge people to keep an eye on this and post any feedback they find, as I feel its a real big cause for most without realising, and is obviously something that can be quite easily sorted out, Its a painfully boring first two weeks, but it makes such a difference and is definately worth it.

(p.s) I really had no idea where to put this so sorry if its in the wrong section.

I think this connects to several things:

things which can improve skin:
exersizing, daylight and skin/lung exposure to fresher air (more oxygen)

things which are decreased the longer you spend on a computer:
exersizing, daylight and skin/lung exposure to fresher air

I think sedentary lifestyles exacerbate acne symptoms, even if you dont go outside you will get more exersize doing most things which dont involve staring at a screan cause usually when you are staring at a screen you are sitting in the dark doing... not much.

being at all active also decreases stress levels which have been connected to skin and overall health.

Ive noticed the complete opposite. I lost my job about two months back and have become quite sedentary to what im used too. (no car i walked to work took about 75 minutes.) and my acne has pretty much vanished. I think the sunlight made my skin break out.

#22 ben90

ben90

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

Im not even THINKING that it makes my skin oilier now, im 100% sure it does and im sure its the same for other people. Once again, little computer use for a week and things have improved.

Its worth mentioning I always exercised, went to the gym 3 times a week and spent atleast 30 mins outside most days and I never ever 'told' myself I would get oiler using the computer. Its just how it is.

#23 soosyv

soosyv

this is a paw

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

oily skin has nothing to do with staring at the screen, in fact, it gets to the core of all skin related illnesses

#24 forevermore

forevermore

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

I can truly say that staring at a computer screen DOES NOT cause your skin to be oily. Just recently, I was away for a three-week summer program where I only used a computer twice, for less than half an hour, in 21 days. My skin didn't produce less oil either.

#25 ben90

ben90

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:36 AM

Well I must be special! Wahey!

#26 xn.

xn.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:10 AM

I would call it a stick with two ends. When I`m at PC, I dont pick my skin, and touch it rarely in general (thats a plus). But on the other hand, too much time at PC has a serious impact on your body in general, could lower your immunity and drain your forces to fight/heal acne. And there is a lot of bacteria on keyboards and mice, and then the CRT monitors...

#27 mystril

mystril

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:13 AM

I think it's a casual correlation.

Almost all 90s and further get glued to the PC screens. And the advent of processed food contributes only to the current teen generation's acne problems. And teens today are more likely to snack and get obesed. Just take a look at world's population of obesity.

Also, Liver overtaxed due to random and constant GI spikes by fast-acting carbs in large quantities.
E.g, wolfing down a pack of extra value pack of Oreos' Double Vanilla within an episode of How I met your Mother.

But I do find your observation thought-provoking. Do LCD / CRT (if anyone still using) leads to oily skin.
In fact, the heat from LCD could be the trigger. As LCD gets larger, the more backlight is needed. Some monitors spam like backlights like a searing torchlight in order to artifically boost their contrast level. This results in uneeded brightness and as well as heat. Try and feel the back of your LCD.

It's interesting but for acne-sufferers like us, it's a long journey ahead.

#28 captainsunshine

captainsunshine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

It's an old thread, but might as well update it with an amazing bit of software to download: http://stereopsis.com/flux/

It makes the colour of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day. It's great for late night reading.

#29 Angelmichu

Angelmichu

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

hmmm... i've been considering what i read here.. i do use computers basically all day long... but the truth is im not convinced that could be the issue. Mainly because i've had periods of lots of acne issues (like atm) and periods where i get just one or 2 pimples... and my use of computers hasnt changed. And also.. there are days that my skin is wayyy more oily than other days.. and again.. I still use the PC for the same amount every day.

I like to attribute my over oiliness on some occasions to the changes in weather.

#30 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:18 AM

I don't even know where to begin here...

#31 limpbizkitfan

limpbizkitfan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

I barely go on the computer nd my skin is still so oily. I only go on it when I get home for only a few hrs

#32 exaggeratedanalysis

exaggeratedanalysis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

WOW! I never even considered this. I noticed that my acne tends to get worse on lazy days. (days I lay in bed on my laptop all day) ,but the correlation between acne and the computer could be possible.. I'll have to try this! Thanks! Posted Image

#33 ohhhhhhnooooooo

ohhhhhhnooooooo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:59 AM

although some of this may be true, it is not entirely true. i have a friend who spends hours and hours on the computer and he has perfect skin. i dont know about the light from the computer, but it could be from staying indoors for a long period of time, not getting fresh air, etc. also, there are a lot of pro computer gamers who spend 10 hours a day playing computer games with perfect skin,

proof

http://s.sk-gaming.c...ee1c1477cax.jpg
http://www.fragster.de/de/esport/starcraft-2/artikel/11/11/bilder/sheth-3-englisch.jpg

these guys are professional computer gamers, they spend hours in front of the computer screen

Edited by ohhhhhhnooooooo, 23 December 2011 - 04:11 AM.

#34 tross87

tross87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (ben90 @ Jun 17 2010, 12:40 PM)
Right, so first off il say i've had acne for a long time, all through my teens so its not a recent thing. I've always played alot of computer games, starting off with consoles and moving onto the PC when I got upto like 16, and this is when my acne started getting worse.

Now im assuming that if most people here are like me, they spend hours inside on the PC staring at a bright monitor because their too ashamed to go out. I also realise that oil production is the main reason for acne, after all without the excess oil you dont get spots, hence accutanes effectiveness most of the time.

The reason I started this thread is because for me, there is a CLEAR correlation between looking at a computer screen and oil production. The longer I look at one, the more oily my skin becomes, and the pores around the side my nose become noticeably larger. I've spoken to a couple others who also found this to be the case, but for some reason never connected the two.

Now though, i've barely touched my computer that I play CSS on for almost 2 weeks, and only used the laptops for 30 mins max without a break and I have to say the difference in oil production is actually INSANE! Its more than halved, without being generous. As a result, my skin is becoming a fair amount better, and I am only recovering from my 2 week binge on the computer since I left it. Since I have had only one new spot, ONE!

I honestly urge people to keep an eye on this and post any feedback they find, as I feel its a real big cause for most without realising, and is obviously something that can be quite easily sorted out, Its a painfully boring first two weeks, but it makes such a difference and is definately worth it.

(p.s) I really had no idea where to put this so sorry if its in the wrong section.

I think this connects to several things:

things which can improve skin:
exersizing, daylight and skin/lung exposure to fresher air (more oxygen)

things which are decreased the longer you spend on a computer:
exersizing, daylight and skin/lung exposure to fresher air

I think sedentary lifestyles exacerbate acne symptoms, even if you dont go outside you will get more exersize doing most things which dont involve staring at a screan cause usually when you are staring at a screen you are sitting in the dark doing... not much.

being at all active also decreases stress levels which have been connected to skin and overall health.

Pretty much this, computer monitors have nothing to do with it.

It sounds crazy, but very possible. Think about it: certain types of light DEFINITELY affect acne. Sunlight, obviously. Red and blue light supposedly destroy acne bacteria. Lasers are used to slow sebaceous glands. Maybe the light from a computer screen does in fact exacerbate acne/oily skin. I research on the computer at least a few hours a day, and my skin is very oily. I need to find out what type of light a computer screen produces.

Red/blue light have to be at a specific wavelength to affect acne, and they have to be very bright and powerful. Computer monitors (and tvs) actually emit blue light though, not on the same wavelength and not nearly powerful enough to have any effect on acne though.

#35 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

I've heard this before, but could you at least attempt to explain it? And just because there is a correlation doesn't mean there is causation. There are plenty of other factors to consider like diet, exercise, getting some sun...

#36 ben90

ben90

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:44 AM

Wow, it's been a while since i've posted here, didn't realise my thread had so many posts!

I've heard this before, but could you at least attempt to explain it? And just because there is a correlation doesn't mean there is causation. There are plenty of other factors to consider like diet, exercise, getting some sun...

What do you mean by explain it? Explain how I think looking at the screen makes my skin oilier? Well, er, no, because as a lot of people have pointed out, it's pretty crazy. I do however get sick of people HAVING to have proof of something for it to be true, a study or something. The fact of the matter is science isn't even begining to understand much of anything. Of course, there are things which are set in stone, but I would barely say this sits in that category. Just because there isn't proven science, it doesn't mean people need to shut it off instantly.

I will take a wild guess and say that it has something to do with the fact I played competitive Counter Strike for years. For those who don't know it can get pretty stressful and adrenaline filled, especially when your as competitive as me. Perhaps, as mentioned earlier, it's a placebo, where my mind recgonises the fact im sat in the same place (same surroundings, etc) and recreates the chemicals/hormones, I don't know. I still even play a bit to this day, just not really competitively. The constant battering of my adrenals from production of cortisol/adrenaline etc won't have done me any good, especially for hours every day for years (this is actually why I reckon my acne got so bad). Maybe it is just the heat from the monitor? But that would only make my face sweat, which has never had a negative effect on my acne.

For those who are saying about other variables, here's some details. I goto the gym 3 times a week lifting heavy, which is considered the healthiest exercise for any man, I drink a lot of water, my diet is good and I will leave it that, else someone who follows a rediculous diet comes and 'corrects' me. Lets just say I stay away from dairy, gluten, additives etc, and my carb content isn't off the scale with high GI. I get around 8 hours of sleep a night. Stress is good all the time. I walk the dogs pretty much everyday for an hour or two in the fresh countryside.

Anyway, there's a good mix of people who want to try this out and people who think it's mad, but, it seems to be one of the biggest causes of my acne :)

Thanks.

although some of this may be true, it is not entirely true. i have a friend who spends hours and hours on the computer and he has perfect skin. i dont know about the light from the computer, but it could be from staying indoors for a long period of time, not getting fresh air, etc. also, there are a lot of pro computer gamers who spend 10 hours a day playing computer games with perfect skin,

proof

http://s.sk-gaming.c...ee1c1477cax.jpg
http://www.fragster....-3-englisch.jpg

these guys are professional computer gamers, they spend hours in front of the computer screen

I forgot to quote this!

They don't suffer from acne full stop. Nothing they do will give them full blown acne because they aren't genetically susceptible to the condition. On that bases, they can be excluded from the discussion :D

Edited by ben90, 28 January 2012 - 06:41 AM.

#37 6N4M

6N4M

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Well, that hasn't been my experience at all. My oiliness went down during the summer when I never left the house and was on the computer all day. It's goes up every time school starts up and I don't use the computer as often.

#38 mystril

mystril

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

computer screen & sebum production can have correlation but definintely not causation.

1. what diet you have
2. what genetics you have

if the sample size is n=1, i am afraid this could mislead worried forumers.

#39 broscience

broscience

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

I have noticed that people who use computer in a lighted room do not have acne. I have always liked to use computer in a pitch black room and maybe that is the reason why the stereotypic nerd is usually linked to acne.

#40 eg6947

eg6947

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

How about TV screensPosted Image ? Almost everyone watches TV on daily basis!