#1 MeAndRayCharles

MeAndRayCharles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

Hey Yall,

just joined,

I've been sailing through the vast acne.org cyber space in search of answers for many a week now, and much good info I have found, one question remains however:

I am currently using Retin-A micro .1 gel attempting to get rid of the hundreds of tiny bumps on my face, My reading suggests they are called Closed Comedones (CC). From what others are saying they can be extremely stubborn and hard to get rid of. that's for sure.

It seems from, what I read, that people who have lots of these CC's tend to need 'special' or unorthodox treatment methods, above and beyond the ordinary. I cannot remember the thread, but one person mentioned that Retin-a was not strong enough to get rid of her CC's so she needed to use microdermabrasion in addition to RetinA.

Does any one have an opinion on this. currently I am washing my face twice a day with Paula's one-step cleaner, once in the morning and once in the evening about 20-30 min before applying the RetinA. but I'm considering using perhaps a microbead scrub or some of paula's BHA in the morning to assist in opening these stubborn sons of guns.

It's Victory or Death! That's all ye know, that's all ye need to know.

Me

#2 dsrfgsertwe

dsrfgsertwe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

i have a lot of experience with closed comedones...

retin-a will get rid of them but they (or any medication) will turn them into cysts first and then the cysts will go away. (the cysts won't be unbearaby huge, papules or nodules would perhaps be better words). this will also happen if you just leave them alone but the retin-a will speed up the process...better to get it over with now, i say.

you can *try* to extract them yourself...steam your face and then take two q-tips and press down and up on them and they might pop...however, when i do this, it's 50/50...they will pop or if they don't pop they will turn into huge, incredibly painful cysts...a dermatologist can extract them but this is time-consuming when you have a lot of them and your doc won't be happy

#3 MeAndRayCharles

MeAndRayCharles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Sound like my symptoms are quite a bit different than yours tho, my CC's hardly ever come up, or turn into cysts really. now 3 weeks in RAM, but I would say since starting RAM there are more of them... I'm hoping thats just a sign of progress? who knows i'm trying not to really get strung up about it either way

"looks like lots of bumps underneath the skin which never seem to surface." -laura's non-inflammed acne routine.

I have something more like the above quote. and below.

"# Bumps (closed comedones) under the skin - redness absent, simply bumps themselves
# Blackheads
# Excessive oil
# Pebbly appearance when the skin is stretched
# The skin is generally more tolerant to stronger products
# Acne lesions tend to "camp out" in the skin and never go away"

This sort of acne seems to be quite rare from what I read on the forums not many people are talking about it.

Cheers.

good luck with your new Taz cycle?

#4 amanda8lynn22

amanda8lynn22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 30
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:41 PM

Hi I have these closed comedone things on my chin, about 20-30 ones of various sizes. I've been on oral antibiotics, bcp, and retin-a .1% for nearly 5 mos. and those suckers have barely budged!! They turn into whiteheads occasionally but it seems like new ones keep popping up as soon as the old ones go away.

I'd have to see a pic to see if we have the same bumps, but they do seem to be rare. There's a few posts on here about them, (check my profile) , and people seem to have what I do to a far lesser degree, nearly unoticabnle, whereas mine are very noticable.

Ive had these bumps for years now, and this retin-A isnt doing so great after 5mos. So your routine sounds good, but I doubt it'll work if your bumps are anything like mine....

A.M.
Baby wash
Cetaphil cream
Silicone scar away treatment on chin
P.M.
Baby wash
Wait 30 min.
Tretinoin .1% cream all over except on whiteheads
BP 2.5% cream on whiteheads
Wait 30 min.
Cetaphil cream over top

Doxycycline 100 mg daily
Tri-Sprintec, vitamins A, B, C, D, E, calcium, fish oil, biotin, iron, multi

#5 Insane Badger

Insane Badger

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:09 AM

MeAndRayCharles I have the exact same type of acne your talking about. I'll have CC's that won't go away until 6-12 months unless I do something. For the more pesky and noticeable ones, I actually use a sterilized lancet. Although there is no head to the CC, I usually just plunge the needle right down the center (gently of course), and then remove it. If nothing comes out after a little pressure, I usually just slather on some Hydrogen Peroxide, which cleans out the inside of the now open CC. I'd say for the most part they then go away, although some little buggers refuse to leave.

#6 Tyler R

Tyler R

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:40 AM

My acne is the same way. Oily skin, lots of underground CC that never come up and is flaky. I have been using RAM for almost 3 months with lots of these little bumps still there. Will they ever go away or is RAM not working for me. I hope to have clear skin by Christmas but this seems impossible at this rate. What should we do, if we have CC we will most likely have continuing breakouts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users