I have been following my regime religiously for a week now and my skin is looking fantastic! I honestly cannot believe the difference in a week. Not only is it looking much better but the biggest difference is how it feels - calmer, no painful cysts and it looks the best it has for months. I actually smiled looking in the mirror this morning.
However, I still have three cysts and the one on my chest has barely changed. It is red and painful and not showing any signs of budging. The one on my face is much better and on my neck almost gone. I had a tiny miniscule whitehead appear and it went within 36 hours, completely gone! Normally this would develop into a much bigger, longer lasting spot.
Now the issue is - what is it that's helping my skin? I have made so many changes that I don't know if it's one thing or a combination.
I have changed:
- my diet, I have cut out coffee and drinking almost solely green loose leaf tea and water. Also lots of fish and avocado and veggies. Less carbs and almost no dairy. I have had some soya milk but a lot less than normally would with having soya lattes and ceral for breakfast.
- my skin care routine. i am following Dan's regimen and using Cetaphil for cleanser and moisturiser and Finecia azelaic acid as a spot treatment. in between.
- drinking one tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar a day mixed in with water. It's gross. I almost hope it's not this that is causing the improvement so I don't have to keep taking it! Bleurg. But I will persevere for now.
- taking millinette contraceptive pill plus lymecycline. I started taking millinette about 5 weeks ago so maybe it has started helping? However a week ago my skin was horrendous and so I doubt it it this.
- my supplements! I have a feeling these are making the real difference, especialy the saw palmetto. The more I read about it the more I feel it is what will help me - but can it help so soon? I went and bought Standardised Saw Palmetto and realised I had the wrong one and it does matter. I am also taking zinc 15 mg and omega 3. I take these at night as my antibiotics say not to take zinc supplements at same time of day as apparently this can affect the body absorbing the antibiotic.
- I have noticed a few side effects, the main ones being dry skin and sore joints/bones. Sounds weird but my hip bones and my knees have been noticeably achey since two or three days after I started. From googling I cannot find a link for this except for with zinc. Apparently joint pain can be a side effect. I am not certain though as I am on a low dose and have only been on it a few days, like I said.
The dry skin is in patches on my arms and legs. I think this may be the saw palmetto? Apparently it lowers testosterone and in the process dries out the skins ability to produce oil, which obviously helps acne. However this is easily solved with some nice body butter
So all in all I am very happy. I feel happier in general as a mix of good diet, and feeling better about my appearance. I am glad I have stopped having so much coffee though am going to treat myself to one today. Hopefully one will not make a difference?
I went to my GP on Friday and she has suggested roaccutane and also said she will do a cortisone injection! I was not expecting that! So I am going in first thing tomorrow to get that. However I am pretty sure she has only prescribed for one injection, which means I would have to choose which cyst gets it - which is like Sophie's Choice, except in my case I don't want to keep any of them!! Maybe I am wrong and she will do them all.
Anyway I hope others find this useful. I am going to stick with my routine for at least a month and if all is going well I will start swapping things about to try and figure out what is helping and what is placebo.