Posted by chrisd22, 11 October 2013 · 79 views
Hoping this will help someone, or we can bond and share advice over similar backgrounds/experiences.
- female, in my 20s
- have had acne for about 10 years, severe for about 5 years
- also diagnosed with folliculitis, flares up in summer and almost nonexistent in winter
- redness and visible blood vessles around nose, symptoms of rosacea
- naturally oily skin
- Never been on birth control or accutane
- Tried countless OTC topicals, with no success. Some of the most common, benzoyl peroxide and Proactiv, were much too irritating for my skin, while salycylic acid did not produce results.
- Clindamycin and oral antibiotics worked for a few months, took these about 3 years ago.
- Took Spironolactone for about two weeks before giving it up after getting severe hives every night the second week.
- ending the use of unnatural topicals. this was very important for me.
- in the evenings, I wash with oats and tone with apple cider vinegar
- licorice root extract as part of a mask has been great for scars and pores, manuka honey is also very helpful
- switching to natural makeup (by afterglow cosmetics), and using it minimally
- drinking peppermint tea daily has helped my skin greatly
- daily exercise and reasonable exposure to sunlight, good sleep habits, actively lessening stress by avoiding overcommitment, giving myself a break, and working out anxieties
- eating a vegetable-based diet, with probiotic-containing foods, and drinking (seemingly) large amounts of water