Mederma Advanced Scar Gel

Average price: $20.85

Most helpful review

By Anonymous on 08/21/2013
thumbnail

I have severe acne scars from years of acne on my cheeks and I've just started using this product a few days ago. It works already! The scars are definitely still visible but many seem to be lighter or diminishing in size. I don't know why everyone is saying it needs to be applied 3 times a day, my bottle says it should be applied just once a day..

Pros:
  • WORKS
Cons:
  • Itchy sometimes

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful

Water (purified), Peg 200, Alcohol, Xanthan Gum, Allium Cepa (Onion) Bulb Extract, Lecithin, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid, Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Fragrance.

Member reviews

By on

It really does work, you just have to endure the 'skin pull' sensation which will generate an itching sensation to where it's applied. Here's what i do: at night either wash your face in the shower/bath or over the sink with your acne medication before you're about to go to sleep, then apply mederma (guys, shave in the shower FIRST); put a fresh clean towel over your pillow case and sleep on it. I wish i had known sooner, because my breakouts and acne were being caused by my pillow cases, since i was lazy to change my pillow cases, i used the towel that i dried myself with as a pillow case, and my skin started clearing up.

Scars using mederma started clearing up, not miraculously, but they are starting to smooth out.

Pros

• it really does help your skin! no joke, i'm 25 and still have occasional acne breakouts but with other acne cures i rid myself in about 2-3 days or so.

Cons

• i mainly have acne scars on my cheeks, man...does this stuff ITCH! it feels like its making your skin tighter hence the itch sensation. Beauty hurts i suppose?*shrug*... smell is acceptable considering they don't use perfume or anything synthetic.
  • light
  • for about a month
  • $ 18
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I use it every night after washing my face and using moisturizer. The first time I used it I put it on alone & my face was too dry for it to work. You have to use moisturizer before putting it on. And I would suggest putting it on at night because it peels when you move your face and it itches. When it itches, DON'T itch it! Touching your face will cause it to break out more. I heard it doesn't work on indented scars, but I don't have those so I'm not sure. I also heard you're supposed to rub it in alot. YES, IT STINKS, but I love that because fragrance/perfume is very bad for your face/acne. Anyway, my face looks clearer by reducing scars instead of pimples. Maybe I had more scars than pimples.

Pros

• My skin looks so much clearer!

Cons

• The gel itches like crazy!
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I am still using mederma, but the cream with spf. I heard a rumor that the cream was not itchy or bothersome, and it is true! It not only works, but also does not itch at all! My scars are fading quickly! VERY SATISFIED WITH MEDERMA CREAM!

Pros

• It works, I saw an improvement in just 5 days!

Cons

• I could not stand how itchy it made my face after I put it on! After two weeks I had to stop using the gel!
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 18
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Its the best solution for acne scars, I came across so far. Its very cheap and less risky compared to lasers or chemical peels or other scar removal techniques.

Pros

• This is a great solution to get rid of acne scars. It works great on oily skin. I am not sure, how good it is for dry skin.

Cons

• Skin gets somewhat flaky. You need wash you skin with plain water by rubbing it to get the flakiness out. Also apply moisturizer on those areas.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 22
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

i did not see any improvement in old scars and new scars formed thickened skin, which is something i have never experienced before. i do not recommend this to people with dry skin.

Pros

• none for me.

Cons

• this stuff dried my skin out so harshly it hurt. i do have dry skin to begin with.
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 15
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Pros

• This cream works great on new burns, ex. you burn your skin with the iron, curling iron, etc. While ironing my hair, I burned my arm and I rub mederma on it about 4-5 times a day and it looks nothing like my other scars from the iron.

Cons

• I do not think this works on acne or old scars.
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

I don't like it.

Pros

• ease of use

Cons

• It doesn't work, I don't like the smell.
  • very light
  • for about a month
  • $ 20
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Works good on old or new scars, but expect to wait a while for good results.

On a scar I got on my knee, this worked GREAT and now the fairly new scar is barely visible when before it was very light compared the rest of my tan skin.

Pros

• light, not bad smelling, clear, works

Cons

• not as good results on acne scars v. regular scars... then again, the acne scars are older and I am not done usig mederma...
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 17
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this product.

Notorious for overusing the metal extraction tool & messing w/scabs...I devised an affordable regimen *no longer have health care insurance & can't afford montly derm visits*

It's solved my olive skinned hyperpigmentation/scarring issues due to hormonal cycstic flare ups:

*50% glycolic (Amazon; Perfect Peel Solutions)

*Jessner's 14% (Amazon; Perfect Peel Solutions)

Soak a q-tip w/ either one or both of the solutions. Dab on forming or existing issues & old scars. Through knowledge of my own skin tolerance & experimentation, I found the right amount of time to let the solution work before washing.

Afterward, lightly layer Mederma, Avalon CoQ10 Firming Lotion w/ niacinamide ([link removed]), and homemade comfrey salve.

My skin has never looked so incredible & for so little using reasearch, resourcefulness, and webstores. I can't believe I used to spend so much on doc & facials!

Pros

• I've used Mederma religiously for facial acne scars for nearly 5 years now.
  • Older scars do take time to see a noticable difference, but if used 2-3 times a day on new scars they aren't noticable two months out, even under my magnification mirror

Cons

• None. I'm not picky about smells. I care if a product works and would rather the smell be 'natural' than covered up with toxic perfumes and synthetic fragrances.
  • moderate
  • $ 18
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Hey! I noticed a lot of you said it stings, burns and itches when you put it on. If I just put the gel on and smear it around quickly it stings, but if I massage it into my skin for (at least) a good 30 seconds it doesn't sting at all. Hope it helps.

Pros

• It works very well to get rid of newer scarring quickly. It does not itch IF you massage it into your skin.

Cons

• I haven't seen it work on the older scars (yet).
  • severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 18
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.