Lush Coalface Cleanser reviews

3.5/5 - 16 reviews

Brand: Lush

Lush Coalface Cleanser

Liquorice Root Decoction (Glycyrrhiza glabra) , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Stearate, Rosewood Oil (Aniba rosaeordora) , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Powdered Charcoal , Sandalwood Oil (Santalum album) , Glycerine , Sodium Chloride , EDTA , Tetrasodium Etidronate , Linalool , Perfume, Silver Edible Lustre (Potassium aluminum silicate, Titanium dioxide, Iron oxides and hydroxides).

Lush Cosmetics Coalface Charcoal Facial Cleanser Bar, 3.5 Ounces
updated: 06/07/2017 10:37 UTC

Lush Coalface Cleanser

Great but probably not for severe acne
Reviewed on June 21, 2016

My acne is pretty particular... I occasionally have hormonal cystic acne on the cheeks and chin but most of the time, my acne is purely comedone acne from excess sebum production. So exfoliating products like this one, which are also gentle and not full of a lot of physical or chemical exfoliants, are for me. I like using this every day. For my skin, which is fairly sensitive but not prone to aggressive acne, this works really wonderfully. It's gentle but still a bit exfoliating and calming.

Although LUSH really sells this as a charcoal product, it's actually a LICORICE root ("liquorice" in the UK and Canada, btw) product, which is why you should be interesting: the Acne.Org regime pushes a licorice root biproduct (licochalcone) hard because it's a gentle, natural anti-inflammatory. But licorice hasn't yet become a popular trendy ingredient so it's hard to find. This is actually the first ingredient, above water itself, and waaaaaaay about anything related to coal, in the Coalface product.

So when I use this, I occasionally use it as a mask and leave it on my skin for a few minute before washing it off.

It's not a miracle worker, but I always find that my skin behaves a lot better when I'm washing with this versus any other face wash.

DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN
Reviewed on August 14, 2015

I've been using this product for over 2 months and to my dismay, it has made my skin the worst it has ever been. Because I have sensitive skin, this product made me have red bumps all over my face and aggravated breakouts. The reason I'm giving it 2 stars is because at least it has decent oil control.

CLEARED MY SKIN
Reviewed on July 20, 2015

This is my first review and i felt that I just HAD to write this! Ive been suffering with acne for a good 3 years and this has completely changed my skin. I had HORRIBLE acne on my cheeks and chin and this has beeen the only thing to clear it. My face is completely clear and my pores are basicly invisible. Finally and can walk around without makeoup

Pretty Good 👍🏼
Reviewed on July 17, 2015

For a high school student, oily skin is part of my appearance. I recently went to lush with some friends and I noticed coalface and relized that I wouldn't be spending over 10 dollars without knowing if I liked it or not. So with the sample they gave me, I broke of a small bit and worked it into a lather as the directions said. My face felt tight and clear as some thought of it as a bad thing. I interpret it as a good thing because I use it before bed. Minutes after washing off, I walked into my sister's room and she quickly noted that my face looked clean and not oily as it usually does. One of the best qualities is that you don't need a lot, my sample will last me a month (I assume), but for a long term full size it could last you 6 months+.

If there was a coalface mask, that worked more on reducing acne, I wouldn't use anything else.

by User511431 on 02/08/2016 19:25
There is, it's called Dark Angels, you can get it from LUSH too! :)
Too irritating
Reviewed on February 2, 2015

I have severely oily skin, and I bought this thinking that it would become my holy grail cleanser.. Well, that wasn't the case. First off, after using it my face feels soo tight and irritated (I'd heard a lot of people didn't like it for that reason). Secondly, this did NOTHING for my oily skin. No improvements whatsoever, even after using it every night for almost 2 months. Lastly, and I can't be completely sure it was this product, but I think this may be what gave me the same impacted pores that someone on a previous review mentioned. So, yeah, I'm kind of done with this soap.

For added measure, it doesn't smell all that great.

Anonymous
Reviewed on June 3, 2010

This was easy to use, since you can just rub the bar directly onto the skin or lather in your hands. I learned quickly to do the latter, since the scratchy pieces of coal it contains to help exfoliate actually left red marks on my sensitive skin (never a good sign). If I got it around or in my eyes, they burned and felt as if I had gotten regular body or hand soap in them. This isn't gentle stuff. It does absorb oil well, though; no improvement in acne seen :(

Julie, Los Angeles,CA
Reviewed on March 14, 2010

this by far is my favorite cleanser. it has a mild exfoliant. keeps super oily skin balanced and matte looking. i wouldn't recommend this if you have combination skin strictly for oily people like myself. its also great for body acne. i use in the shower with a loofa.

Reviewed on February 24, 2010

I heard great things about this product from a fried,and decided to try it out for myself.

Initially,I liked the rich lather and how clean it made my face feel.I also noticed almost an instant imporvement in any red marks and scarring.Some people have said they don't like the licorice smell,but I acctually kind of enjoied it.I also liked that it had super fine exfoliating properties from the charcoal,which really brighted up my complexion.

However,a week after using it I started to notice little white bumps all around my chin area..and suprisinly no where else.After doing some research,I found out these are little pimples called 'impacted pores' which are very stuborn to remove and really bad to pick at.I tried steam treatments in an effort to open up the pores enough to remove them,but after 3 weeks of that going nowhere,I gave it up.

I really wanted to like this product,because its the best thing I've found that cleans well and helps with my red marks.But because of the small,stubborn breakouts,I probably woulnd't recomend it.

Anonymous, San Francisco
Reviewed on May 5, 2009

I just began using Coalface and I saw a lot of improvement in my face. I have severe acne on my cheeks and have an oily Tzone, but ever since I started using this, I have a less oily face. Even though it's a bit pricey, it's still worth it.

Grace Lee, NYC
Reviewed on March 4, 2009

its a good face wash. not the best for acne but i do like it. I use i everyday. I have a LOT of acne but i find that this is one of the few soaps i can use. I recommend Fresh Farmacy by LUSH. i feel like its better. I bought 40 dollars (4month supply) worth of this product thinking i couldnt return to the store since its pretty far. :[ I got 20 dollars worth of Fresh Farmacy and i like ti much more. It works on my skin well.

I have SUPER SENSITIVE SKIN!