LoEstrin Oral Contraceptive reviews

Brand: LoEstrin

White tablet
1 mg Norethindrone Acetate and 20 mcg Ethinyl Estradiol.

Inactive ingredients:
Acacia, lactose,
magnesium stearate, starch, confectioner’s sugar, and talc.

Brown Tablet (placebo)
Ferrous fumarate, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium
stearate, povidone, sodium starch glycolate, and compressible sugar.

20 years later
Reviewed on June 15, 2017

I've had acne since I was 11 (face and body). Nothing has ever fully worked 100%, however I decided to try birth control to keep from getting pregnant. My skin never really changed until 4 months in I started to really clear up. I went from taking two showers a day to being able to go camping all weekend with no shower and NOT ONE PIMPLE! I stopped using all my acne skin care products, and actually got to use products that didn't dry, bleach or irritate my skin.

Recommended to NO ONE
Reviewed on May 2, 2017

I started taking this because of the painful cramps I get once a month. I've only been on it for a little over two weeks, and my typically clear face is now covered in cystic acne that nothing seems to get rid of. I feel tired and just want to spend my days sleeping or resting (even when I get 7-9 hours of sleep at night!), I've gained a few pounds each week, and now I'm getting painful cramps (the reason I even started taking this stuff) weeks before my period is supposed to start. I went online and realized many women are having the exact same symptoms as me! I wish I would have read reviews before just doing what my gynecologist suggested. I do not recommend this to anyone!

So far, so good!
Reviewed on January 20, 2017

I've had acne for about two years after the birth of my son. I've always had oily skin with clogged pores but as a teen I only ever got one or two spots. As a young adult my skin never gave me any complaints. However, after the birth of my son my skin got quickly worse and worse until I was waking up every morning with 6 or 7 new big lumps around my chin, neck and cheeks. I also had tiny white pimples all over my cheeks and neck. My spots were red aggressive looking- my face was just a mess and people couldn't help but comment because no one was used to seeing me like that.

I tried prescribed creams, drinking lots of water, going cold-turkey on makeup, taking antibiotics, hot cloth cleanses... they all made it worse. I tried one or two different contraceptives and they did nothing for me. Some made me bleed constantly, others made my face break out even more around my cycle. I was reluctant to try loestrin as I was beginning to think contraceptives were a waste of time, but it was my last attempt at avoiding roccutane treatment.

At first, loestrin made me really sick, for the first few days I was throwing up and had headaches but it soon cleared up. It does make me very tired and has increased my appetite but I'm getting to grips with that.

Anyway, after about four months I woke up one morning and realised, for the first time ever, that I didn't have any spots whatsoever. As I ran my fingers over my face there were no lumps or bumps or boils! Today is my fifth day of the same! I've still got scarring and red marks from previous spots but I'm sure I can start to move forward now. I'm already leaving the house without makeup and taking more pride in my skin. I'm really pleased I have given loestrin a chance and hope it continues!

Ps- my periods have been very light, I've been a bit more laid back and I think my breasts are bigger!

thought it wasn't helping, until I switched!
Reviewed on August 22, 2016

while I am not prone to inflammatory acne, I have lots and lots of closed comedones, clogged pores, etc. I am also very oily. i have 4 childrwn and have been on this pill inbetween each pregnancy. after my last baby, i had my face relatively umder control and went back on the pill. I was using the generic of this for 3 months and my forehead broke out in tiny rashlike pimples that you could only see in certain lighting but felt horrendous. I would also get flare ups of these along my temples and sometimes my cheeks, even though I was using BP. they never became inflamed, but continued to worsen. I have always had this issue but am now thinking it may have been exasperated by the birth control. this birth control pill also makes my hair grow faster. I had no other symptoms on it, my periods were very short and light. also, after doing some research on here, I discovered that loestrin in particular is pretty androgenic and best avoided if one already has issues with breakouts. I'm hoping getting on a different pill will improve things.

by sosickofzitz on 09/30/2016 15:51
update! I switched to a good birth control for acne, ortho cyclen. never again. I broke out all over my nose, my upper lip has this weird rash like thing that I can't get rid off, I started getting painful under the skin bumps, and I turned into a total oil slick. my skin felt so greasy it was like I was sweating. I couldn't take it and am back on this. it also messed with my eyesight. my obgyn had me switch back after a month because he thinks I may be estrogen sensitive. I'm sad it didn't work for me and will be sticking with loestrin from now on.
ZERO Acne, No Mood Swings, Bigger Boobs
Reviewed on March 1, 2016

I honestly only started taking this birth-control to get rid of acne that I had my whole entire life. I wish I had listened to my doctor and friends sooner. I suffer from acne since high school. NOTHING worked... I went to the best dermatologist in Miami, the best products for use, the best make up etc. I tried Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo and it made me CRAZY. I honestly felt possessed. However, birth control is a hit or miss. You need to try what works best for you as my friends have used Ortho Tri-cyclen and were extremely happy. Anyways, LoEstrin Lo has seriously completely gotten rid of all my acne. I do not break out AT ALL. I do not have Moodswings, and not that I needed, but it does make my breast size fuller also. Getting rid of acne was the only reason I tried birth control, so I am scared to stop taking it for when I try to have more children. I am now 33 years old and have been on this birth-control for three years and I love it!

Best thing that ever happened to me
Reviewed on April 5, 2015

I have suffered from acne since middle school and as I got older it got significantly worse. I have tried every topical and oral medication. I have done ACCUTANE TWICE and my acne would resolve and come back 10x worse. I quit all meds and went natural route which helped some but I needed something else. I finally decided to give into birth control. I was first on ortho tri cyclen which helped my face a lot but still had a few breakouts. I had severe migraines so I asked my gyno to switch. She recommended loloestrin FE 28 (not 24) since it had less horomomes. Before I started it I was very nervous because everywhere I read the horrible reviews. But I went with my gut since I had no other option. All I can say is I have not had a clear face like this in years. I dont breakout at all like nothing at all. All my acne is gone all I have are old acne scars that with time are healing. I don't know why this medication works for me but not others. What I can say is that I'm happy I can go out without wearing make up And I'm not embarrassed like I use to be. I don't have acne at all. My face has NEVER EVER been this clear. So give it a chance. This medication has changed my life. I also believe that changing eating habits and lots of fluids helps to. Don't just make it easy and simply rely on medicine.

by Mck45 on 05/12/2015 14:57
how long did it take for it to begin working? I've been on it for a month and it seems like it's making my acne worse!
by Brittany1782 on 03/01/2016 10:23
SAME exact story for me! ZERO acne!
by Brittany1782 on 03/01/2016 10:32
Mck45, give it about 3 to 6 months. seems like a long time but if you've been battling acne for years, it really isn't.
horrible acne
Reviewed on May 30, 2013

I am against putting things in your body but since i'm in my child bearing years i do not want any surprises. I asked my gyno for a birth control with very low hormones since i am very sensitive to them, i noticed a few mood swings but nothing major. My boobs normally are a full C but with the the loestrin fe 24 have gotten fuller, now a D cup and i have developed acne. Its been 3 months since ive been on the pill and the acne seems to getting worse! I have always had great skin, the occasional pimple now and then but never suffered from CYSTIC ACNE :(!!!! Also, In the time i have been on this pill i havnt had a period either. I am currently on the sugar pills and will not continue to use this product.

Reviewed on May 21, 2013

I've been taking LoEstrin for a little over a year now. Since high school I've always had mild breakouts here and there, but nothing severe at all. I'm going into my third year of college now and I would say my breakouts are the worst they've ever been. They're not horrible, but I've had pretty clear skin most of my life and to have acne now at age 20 is a bit out of the ordinary. The pill does its job for a birth control pill and I have very regular, light periods on it. However, if you're prone to acne, I wouldn't recommend taking this. I am planning to switch to Ortho Tri-cyclen asap.

Anonymous, Orange County, CA
Reviewed on January 10, 2013

I am 18 and had light acne. My GYN put me on this to help clear the little acne that I had. What a big mistake! Within two months, I started to break out on my chin. I was put on antibiotics which has not helped at all. This is the worst experience I have ever been through. I am seeing the GYN tomorrow and want to get off it,I am so affraid that it will flare up even more. Reading on other people's experiences with Loestrin and only see negative feedback. Don't make the same mistake that I made

Reviewed on October 16, 2012

This is by FAR the WORST birth control EVER!! The first few months were fine until I started getting horrible mood swings, I felt mad/sad for no reason and felt depressed out of nowhere. On top of it, it caused me the worst acne of my life! It was worse than when I was in Highschool! When I first started taking this pill, everything was fine, I even read some bad reviews about it from ppl waring about the acne issues but I just ignored them since I thought they were the "exception". Well I should have listened. Even Antibiotics (Septra) did not help, my face literally looked like a Vulcano and those cystic pimples all around my chin hurt so bad!! I now switched to Necon, it is higher in estrogen (0.035 compared to loestrin at 0.025) and lower in 1st generation progesteron (norethindrone 0.5mg instead of 1mg) and my face is finally starting to clear up. However, I'm 29 years old and my skin does not heal as good as it used to as a teenager so now I have all these ugly acne scars on my face, probably for life! If you are still taking this pill, and had acne problems before, please take my advice and get off of it as soon as possible! It will make your acne ten times worse than it was in your teenage years! Bottom line, this pill makes you depressed and gives you bad acne! Stay away from it!!