Page 5 of Photodynamic therapy (PDT) - Levulan, MAL, etc. reviews

Photodynamic therapy (PDT) - Levulan, MAL, etc.

Where to buy is not associated with this product. All proceeds from links go to charity.

Reviewed on March 23, 2010

This is my third treatment and my doctor said i wont need the fourth because my skin looks so good. After trying every drug store product and salcitic acid peels and a handfull of over the counter products this is the only thing that really got rid of my acne for good. I believe that most people should get the same results i have gotten.

Reviewed on February 27, 2010

I understand that people will respond to treatments differently, but please be cognizant. Also, for anyone who faced similar, poor results like I did, are the damages irreversible, or did your skin get better? I am terrified that the damage is permanent.

Please advise if you have any experiences with this. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Reviewed on January 10, 2010

Accutane got rid of my major cysts, but when i had my first blue light treatment my face was terribly broken out. After 4 treatments i was as clear as i had ever been. It lasted for a long time, but my face started getting worse eventually. Im sure if i had random treatments for upkeep i would have stayed clear. If you have the money, and dont mind a red, irritated, and sensitive for a couple of days, definitely do it!

Reviewed on December 3, 2009

My first time I let the levulan sit on my skin for 2 hours. Went under the blue light for about 8 minutes.

Second time, sat for 2 hours. I think I went under the blue light for just a little longer than the 8 minutes.

I'm seeing results, slowly but surely. I have severe acne scars. I've had acne my whole life since around 6th grade and now I'm 19.

I just got done with my 3rd session about 3 days ago. It was way more intense than the other times. I waited 3 hours before going to the blue light and I couldn't handle the blue light very well at all this time. It was excruciating. Much different than the other times. I don't even know how long I took it. It couldn't have been more than 4 minutes, but I think it's because I waited 3 hrs instead of 2. My dermatologist said I also may have been more sensitive cause I was on my period. My face was on fire the rest of the day/night. But now it's calmed down and I'm just waiting for it to start peeling again.

Reviewed on November 16, 2009

It really works!!! at least for me it did... but i noticed the third time i got the treatment i was a little tanner and my skin didn't totally peel off... so really i suggest you go when you're really pale to get the full effect :)

Reviewed on November 14, 2009

Before the treatment, I was about to go on Accutane, but my dermatologist recommended Levulan Light Treatment, because it "supposedly" have the same results. I have never been on Accutane, so I don't have any connections whatsoever on which is better. I used to get huge cystic acne, and MANY dented scars on my cheeks, but after the treatment, the cystic dissappeared completely. I still get break outs, but it usually goes away in 2-4 days. The redness became worst, but it improved after 5 months. Sadly, the dented scars did not improve so much. I have done this treatment 3 times.

Reviewed on November 10, 2009

This is a costly procedure. Fortunately, my work insurance paid 95% of the fees. The part I truly hated was the peeling and the sensitivity to light that I felt for several weeks. Even though you may go out in the light after 48 hours. I would recommend getting this treatment in the summer. Also the peeling was extremely uncomfortable for me. I didn't peel in the problem areas I was hoping to cure (cheeks) but on my chin and sides of my face and a little on the forehead. I remember peeling so deep that I was all itchy and said I would not do this again. I had to apply a lot of cream and applied a cloth to my face which I dampened and left to freeze in the freezer. But I'm now considering trying it another time and asking the doc to focus on my cheeks. I'll let you know how it goes!

Reviewed on November 2, 2009

I had this done 5 times, once a month. My derm used a ppx laser to activate the levulan so I set in a room for 3-4 hours then she went over my face twice with the laser. It was painful in some spots but it was over so fast it wasn't too bad. I did not peel but maybe 2 times. It made my scars less noticeable and my face a lot smoother. I still break out every month but it's not the HUDGE cystic acne I am use to. For the price of this treatment I thought it would have really cleared up all of my acne which it did not. I would not pay more than $150 for this treatment.

Reviewed on October 23, 2009

I am a redhead and had the treatment for severe sun damaged skin headed for cancer. This was a bearable process. My skin does look better so far, and only one day later, but not sure what the long haul process will look like. More treatments are not really affordable, so I hope this one makes the big difference. I will wait for the peeling etc. to see the final outcome, but this process was far better than the liquid nitrogen treatments, which are painful and not completely effective. Barring the expense, I would do it again, providing it really gets rid of the sun damage in several spots over my face.