Levulan Blue Light Acne Treatment

Average price: $673.48

Most helpful review

By Maximus0, Socal on 01/10/2010
thumbnail

Accutane got rid of my major cysts, but when i had my first blue light treatment my face was terribly broken out. After 4 treatments i was as clear as i had ever been. It lasted for a long time, but my face started getting worse eventually. Im sure if i had random treatments for upkeep i would have stayed clear. If you have the money, and dont mind a red, irritated, and sensitive for a couple of days, definitely do it!.

Pros:
  • Gets rid of acne, scars, redness, uneven texture
Cons:
  • A lot of downtime (must stay out of light), very expensive, time commitment, acne came back after months of not using it

327 out of 556 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

By on

I just had Levulan Blu Light PDT on my face TODAY!!! I am 30 yrs old battling cystic acne since I was 15...Ive tried accutane 3x, antibiotics, tazarac, you name it, ive tried it...Accutane at ages 19, 21, 23 and yes, it cleared up my chest and back and forehead, and it worked while I was on it but it frigged up my eyesight!! but now at 30, my derm put me on aldactone 100mg a day bcz I get hormonal cysts on my cheeks and OUCH cortosone injections every month,( My prblem is hormonal and genetic bcz my mother had bad skin adn I break out BAD right before my menstrual period.) Well its time I took it up a notch so I read all your reviews and I started levulan blu light today..I have to do 3 more treatments, my last one will be on October 22. So I had the nurse clean my face with accetone, then she applied the stick of levulan and I "incubated" for 1 hr and 10 min and it stung and it burned and my face looked RED..then she put me under the blu light for 15min. It was burning but nothing crazy...I took a vicodine and she had a fan on my face the whole time. Right now i feel like I have a bad sun burn, they gave me some aquaphor and other anti itch ointment to put on, but I just did this today so I will keep everyone posted..I am soooo hopeful this will clear me up because I cried so much hoping this will work..15 years battling acne is not fun. It has taken a huge toll on me, emotionally. Wish me luck!!

Pros

• Acne reduction.

Cons

• Not sure yet
  • moderately severe
  • for a day or two
  • $ 500
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This treatment works! My skin is almost flawless now. But if you plan on getting the treatment or just had it done, you must know what to expect. Plan to not show your face in public for a while! Your skin looks TERRIBLE for about two weeks after the treatment while it heals. It gets worse before it gets better. You may experience scabbing, bumps, more acne, redness, dry/flakey skin. I expeienced ALL of this! At this stage, I felt so self concious and I was terrified that this is how my skin would look forever! But it goes away to reveal beautiful skin. The second time around, I used AcneFree Severe System retinol ointment and it cut the healing time in half! The retinol promotes skin cell repair and regeneration. It does make your skin peel more when you first start but that's part of the rejuvenation process. I also used Vinegar, it helps balance the pH of your skin, promotes circulation, and is a natural antiseptic so your skin doesn't get infected. Smells awful but works wonders!

Wash your face with a mild soap, don't scrub, be gentle!

Pat dry.

Soak a cotton ball with vinegar and apply to face. It will sting, so beware!

Let your skin dry for 15 minutes then put the retinol ointment on.

Let that soak in for about 5 minutes and then use a very good sensitive skin moisturizer!

Keep your skin well moisturized! I put lotion on about every half hour just to keep my skin from scabbing. I used Jergens Ultra Healing during the day and baby oil gel at night for EXTRA hyration.

Don't go out into the sun. This will FRY your skin and make it hurt and look worse! Use the highest SPF you can find, if you must go outside.

Anyway, good luck and hang in there! :)

Pros

• Reduces pimples and excess oil, improves skin tone. I don't wear any make-up anymore!!! I feel confident and beautiful now.

Cons

• Skin looks REALLY bad for about two weeks: scabs, dry flakey skin, redness, splotchy color, and painfully sensitive spots. I was terrified at first! But it goes away.
  • moderate
  • $ 235
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

bottom line, this will work. You may need more than one treatment, and it may cause you to breakout for a week or so after getting the treatment done, but it will work.

IF you have only just barely had this treatment and have not fully recovered, or if you have not given it enough time, please dont review this. YES is will be nasty for a few days to a week, YES it might get worse before it gets better, but it DOES work, and those of you on here complaining when your only your 4th day in are just wasting everyones time and ruining the reviews for something that really does work!!

Talk to your dermatologist/aesthetician, and try this out. Just make sure you have a couple weeks before any major event so your skin can recover.

Oh, it was $350 per treatment where I went. So it isnt all that expensive.

Pros

• Will clear acne, reduce hyperpigmentation and discoloration, removes sun damage underneath your skin

Cons

• Can make you break out at first (gets worse before it gets better), the day after the treatment is painful, skin looks weird for 4-5 days
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 350
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have been battling 1 to 2 cystic acne on my chin per month mostly and the occasional one on my nose, but after having this treatment done 2 weeks ago I have 5 or 6 on my chin and 2 on my nose! My skin is dry and still stings too. I had Levulan put on my face, then IPL, then blu u, then came back and had blu u again week 2. Now a week later my face is a war zone! Worse than before - it seems like this was a waste of money - I am going back to my doctor this week - have been on Doxycycline and retin-A for 3 months with no luck. Booooooo.

Pros

• skin less oily

Cons

• Stings, makes your face look like a tomato for a week, have to hide from light like a vampire.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 600
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Do not blow your money on this procedure it is not worth it and in my case made my acne worse and irritated my skin. I do think that they are on the right track with the idea thought just have alot more research to do on what skin types it will work for and better techynology and types

Pros

• helped skin for a little bit after painful downtime

Cons

• do not get this done i paid almost a thousand dollars and it didn't work at all. It is veryyy painfull and there is alot of downtime and redness and soreness. Since i hav got it done it has been about 4 months and it made my acne A LOT worse and more oily even tho its suppose to do the opposite. My face is also constantly dry now which is also very annoying
  • moderately severe
  • $ 800
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This is my third treatment and my doctor said i wont need the fourth because my skin looks so good. After trying every drug store product and salcitic acid peels and a handfull of over the counter products this is the only thing that really got rid of my acne for good. I believe that most people should get the same results i have gotten.

Pros

• It took pretty much all of my acne away. I went from having moderate-severe acne to light and under. The treatment isnt very painfull when your under the bluelight. I dont wash my face very often and since i have gotten this treatment i dont wash my face and it has hardly any acne.

Cons

• The after math is extremly painful. The first day it is just red and a little bit inflamed. The second day your face is is very red and sensitive. The third day my face was starting to scab over and become hard. I coudnt open my mouth very wide on this day. The third it starts peeling. Redness being to fade on the fourth day. Fifth you can see the acne and scrs have left your face as you peeled.
  • light
  • for about a year
  • $ 300
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I understand that people will respond to treatments differently, but please be cognizant. Also, for anyone who faced similar, poor results like I did, are the damages irreversible, or did your skin get better? I am terrified that the damage is permanent.

Please advise if you have any experiences with this. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Pros

• Unfortunately, none really.

Cons

• My acne has gotten exceedingly worse. The reason I had this procedure performed was to eliminate several under-the-skin bumps I had. This procedure has given me so many more, in places I had never even had bumps before. It's to the point where people have been asking me what happened to my skin.
  • $ 435
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Pros

• Gets rid of acne, scars, redness, uneven texture

• for about a month

By on

My first time I let the levulan sit on my skin for 2 hours. Went under the blue light for about 8 minutes.

Second time, sat for 2 hours. I think I went under the blue light for just a little longer than the 8 minutes.

I'm seeing results, slowly but surely. I have severe acne scars. I've had acne my whole life since around 6th grade and now I'm 19.

I just got done with my 3rd session about 3 days ago. It was way more intense than the other times. I waited 3 hours before going to the blue light and I couldn't handle the blue light very well at all this time. It was excruciating. Much different than the other times. I don't even know how long I took it. It couldn't have been more than 4 minutes, but I think it's because I waited 3 hrs instead of 2. My dermatologist said I also may have been more sensitive cause I was on my period. My face was on fire the rest of the day/night. But now it's calmed down and I'm just waiting for it to start peeling again.

Pros

• My skin is so much softer/smoother and less break-outs.
  • I definitely recommend it though. It works better than anything else I've tried and I've tried basically everything.

Cons

• Downtime of course. Can't leave the house for a week or more.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 2000
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Pros

• None

Cons

• VERY expensive and DOES NOT WORK AT ALL. I had more breakouts than ever!
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 500
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.