Page 3 of Photodynamic therapy (PDT) - Levulan, MAL, etc. reviews

Reviewed on May 10, 2011

i dont know when or if i will ever get my face back! I wish i never went through with this. i was honestly desperate. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE learn from my mistake and dont do this!!!!!! i was told that after my face peeled i would be left with beautiful skin... however, i was left with worse acne then before and i never thought that was possible. AND THEY HURT MORE THAN EVER!! i did this treatment 2 weeks ago and went in today for a follow up... i basically got an "oh" from the doctor.

The first couple days i couldnt even look at myself in the mirror. i probably got a million whiteheads all over my face and didnt even recognize myself from the swelling. i couldnt even open my eyes all the way!!!

I would recommend something that works from the inside out like anti-biotics.

Please stay away from levulan and blu-u!!!!

Reviewed on April 10, 2011

I signed up to get 6 treatments of this, but was only able to get 4 because I reacted so badly to the fourth. My face burned so much the week of my recovery and it was just so unbearable I had to go on pain medication. My skin scabbed horribly and started breaking out more than how I initially started. It took about 2 good months before the pain completely went away. Now, 7 months after, my skin is still extremely red and scarred from the cystic acne it caused me.

Reviewed on November 30, 2010

I had 6 treatments consisting of levulan with the blue light after. Before hand the ascetician performed microdermabrasion and extractions. With all this there was NO IMPROVEMENT whatsoever.

Reviewed on November 10, 2010

Don't expect anything but a decrease in oil production.

If you're like me it's worth what its made for: shutting your sebaceous glands up! (decrease oil production)

What's "like me" ??!: Pale, insanely oily (as in every hour you need one of those blotting sheets), large pores, lots of blemishes, like if I breakout it leaves a mark every time for like a whole year or longer, scarring, recently hormonal breakouts (during PMS then clears up just in time for next PMS), some cysts (from excess oil), skin is so sensitive I can touch my face with water and I'll break out.

It helped with the oiliness so I am assuming in the long run it will help with cysts, I think I will need half as many blotting papers which is awesome, I will still break out because of my hormones so I won't be completely new-blemish free. It doesn't seem to be helping with any other issue I have. Skins smoother after the peeling ends because hello I just shed a layer, but other than that there's nothing left to do but take care of it as best I can and hope that my make up for work doesn't ruin the process I just went through.

One thing that bothered me was that I don't get whiteheads and I got some, maybe a dozen, and little tiny spots here and there. The white heads hurt and it was as if they were getting pushed out of my face by the treatment. But eventually it goes away.

They will tell you it will help with other things like some conditions I have, but thats not what its made for so just go in knowing that you will clean the oil spills, which I think is really important to start off with.

Reviewed on October 21, 2010

I went to a top derm in Beverly Hills and paid for a set of 5 treatments followed by V-Beam laser spaced one month apart each. My skin has been getting worse since the start to the end of these treatment. I had mild acne and would now consider it moderate with some cysts. The doctor convinced me to keep going, but now after spending the money and the time, I regret doing it. This can work wonders on some, but to others it can be a big mistake, there really is no way to know. I followed all of the guidlines and was left with worse acne. PDT, in my opinion should be used as a last line of defense. It you haven't tried antibiotics and creams yet, try them before doing this. I did a round of V-Beam a few years ago and then again with the PDT and it really smooths out skin texture. Try the V-Beam with Smoothbeam laser first it was cheaper and the results were much better!!!!!

Reviewed on October 19, 2010

I had around 7 of these procedures done in the 1.5 year time span.

In the first couple treatments it worked miracles. I was no longer breaking out and the texture of my skin was so smooth. My fine lines and acne scars started to fade.

After my 4th treatment my skin grew immune to the PDL treatment and returned to it's oily and moderate acne state.

I tried 3 more times in a desperate attempt and it no longer worked on my skin.

I spent so much money on the treatments and it left me hopeless.

I saw an infomercial on MaxClarity and gave it a shot. I been using it for 3 months and it helped with my cystic acne and oily skin. It's a lot cheaper too!

Reviewed on September 9, 2010

DO not go in the sun! I did and my face turned brown and scabbed. I had to have antibiotics to clear scab. Now my face is amazing no acne... knock on wood

Reviewed on August 30, 2010

Expensive, but worth it if you can afford it.

Reviewed on August 23, 2010

I have struggled with ance for 14 years. I finally decided that I wanted to put an end to it. I got a Levulan treatment done 5 months ago. The first three days I had to black out ALL the windows. Even the little bit of light coming in from the windows made it burn.

After the "sunburn" went away (two weeks) my skin felt really soft. I had started feeling really good. Around two months my skin starting get more acne. Then it got worse. I started getting MORE ACNE then I had before the Levulan. It also changed the type of acne.

I use to have small red bumps that went away fairly fast. Now I have CYSTIC ACNE. I have WAY MORE ACNE. The acne all groups together and stays under the skin.

Reviewed on August 11, 2010

So i have been reading these reviews and finally decided to have one myself. I have hormonal acne ( i'm 25,f) and lot of acne scars, ice picks and so on, oily skin.... you name it I had it. So before trying laser I gave it a chance and sooo happy I did. If you're like me desperate and every dollar counts, try this you shouldn't be disappointed. Skin is so much better. Do it on friday, so on monday you would be ready to go to work. Redness for the first 2-3 days and then peeling starts. But it's so worth it!!!!

Before you concider laser try this. I'm going back for 2nd appointment on satturday.

Good luck to all of you!